Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Squad size.

Squad size was a major issue last season.

Anybody done the maths yet?

Last season''s squad size minus.........plus...........equals.........??

Still looks thin to me.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Squad size was a major issue last season.

Anybody done the maths yet?

Last season''s squad size minus.........plus...........equals.........??

Still looks thin to me.

OTBC

[/quote]

Absoluetely BlyBly... but still yet people laughed at Leicester bringing in 5 Free transfers!

We need to sign another quality striker, at least two defenders and maybe a midfielder to have a decent first choice 11 and then we need another 3 or 4 players within the squad itself if we are to have a strong enough squad that we can rely upon for a season long assault on the play-offs.

It is not just about us being able to pick up a few results here and there if we have our first choice 11 out (many teams can do that in this league)... We need to be able to continue picking up  results when we have 3 or 4 (or even more) injuries.

[quote user="Mr_Chimp"]

So your initial ''we need 5'' has now become ''we need 10'' now that we''ve signed five?

[/quote]

We have off-loaded 2 players as well since then do not forget.... and I was not planning on Granty bringing in two keepers either.

i''ve been thinking the same thing.

we were a small squad last season, we''ve released/sold about 7 so far (how many more to go?)

the players we''ve signed look good on paper but, they might not be in reality.

we need a decent squad to push on for promotion.

c''mon you Yellows.  

I have to admit, last season it wasn''t so much our squad was thin. On the back of the programme our list of players was often longer than the opposite.

The problem was a lot of those players were not really in contention for a place on the pitch.

Although the squad maybe around the same size next season, it is already likely there will be far more competition, and far more players who have a genuine shout for a place on the pitch. That is what we need rather than simply numbers.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Mr_Chimp"]

So your initial ''we need 5'' has now become ''we need 10'' now that we''ve signed five?

[/quote]  I was not planning on Granty bringing in two keepers either.

[/quote]

In that one sentance Smudger you''ve just illustrated your complete lack of nowledge regarding football tactics ie. strength in depth and place competition.

But at least you''re refering to Peter as Granty now!.

Mr Chimp:

At least you noticed that!.

[quote user="mbncfc"]

I have to admit, last season it wasn''t so much our squad was thin. On the back of the programme our list of players was often longer than the opposite.

The problem was a lot of those players were not really in contention for a place on the pitch.

Although the squad maybe around the same size next season, it is already likely there will be far more competition, and far more players who have a genuine shout for a place on the pitch. That is what we need rather than simply numbers.

[/quote]

Good point i think. Real weakness in a squad can be hidden by having quite a few teenagers on 1-year contracts and "out of favour" players still on the payroll despite being unlikely to get a game (Thorne, Henderson, Mcviegh last season). To me its a disgrace that we got to that point, however, things are certainly looking better and i like the players being brought in. 3 more of a similar quality and things will look much more positive.

Detail are Important here:

Outs (7) : [have I forgotten someone?]

We loaned them out at end of season:

Henderson, McVeigh

Barely made the Bench any way:

Louis-Jean, Fisk.

Bench

Thorne

Played Matches

Earshaw

Loan reurn:

Warner

Ins: (so far)

Marshall, Gilks, Ostemobor, Brellier, Cureton.   All will probably be in the 16, 4 on the pitch.

I think we are actually arguably stronger in numbers now than at the end of last season.

Don''t get me wrong we still need more signings. - CF, CD, and possibly CM, LB.

I reckon we will see some more leave as well:

Gallacher - covered already.

Needing replacement if they go:

Colin & Hughes (if both go need new RB)

Safri

Etuhu

Out on Loan:

Lewis, RossiJ, Halliday, etc.

[quote user="mbncfc"]

[/quote]

Mbetc

Who are those you have moved from ''not good enough last season'' to ''good enough this season''?

OTBC

7rew is right, out of the 7 we have offloaded i would say that there was only 2 or 3 that grant was ever going to play. the others ala fisk couldn''t even get in the kings lynn team some matches.

[quote user="Dan Grant"]

7rew is right, out of the 7 we have offloaded i would say that there was only 2 or 3 that grant was ever going to play. the others ala fisk couldn''t even get in the kings lynn team some matches.

[/quote]

So effectively we have strengthened our squad marginally then?

I like the signings of Brellier, Marshall and Cureton... but much much more needs to be done to get a squad that finished 16th last year in with a chance of finishing in the play-offs.

Way i see it, last season we had maybe 13/14 players who realistically were "good enough" for Championship level football, of those probably 2 were "good enough" for top 2 Championship football.

This season, we have maybe 15/16 players who realistically are "good enough" for Championship level football, of those probably around 4 are "good enough" for top 2.

Course this is all speculation, but that''s how i see it! An improvement even though squad maybe down a little.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="mbncfc"]

[/quote]

Mbetc

Who are those you have moved from ''not good enough last season'' to ''good enough this season''?

OTBC

[/quote]

By By Baby, I have no idea. Do you?

I haven''t mentioned their levels of talent or goodiness. I mean in terms of the manager liking them. The player having a desire to work hard for the team. We had several players here last season who seemed to have lost focus. Paul McVeigh - talented player - came on and got sent off in his first appearance under Grant. Out of a squad of well over 22 players last season, would you have liked half of them on the pitch?