Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Turner wants cost cutting according to Mick Dennis

Mick Dennis seems to be passionately supportive of ''Delia who saved our club'' and rather less so of the Turners who now seem to be somewhat in charge as she has taken herself off back to television land to earn some more money. 

He writes:

Yet, having approached the Turners about joining the club, Delia and Michael know they have to let Andrew and Sharon conduct a detailed inspection of the set-up. And that is where it gets very interesting, because Andrew and Sharon are challenging the fundamental tenet on which the whole of the game is organised in England. They simply do not accept that football clubs have to run at a loss.

Norwich expect to lose £5 million in this new season. The Turners say that is unacceptable.

For the complete article turn to:

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=1418

I think that this article is more than just interesting.

How about you?

OTBC

I feel the same a lot of people on this board forget (or don''t realise..) that delia sacrificed a lot of money making oppurtunities to make this club stable.

An interesting article BBB and very worrying if it reflects the Turners views on buying players. It may be they are talking about the administration and general running of the club rather than the player side, but I am clutching at straws here. This may be the signal that no more of the Earnshaw money and the alledged £2M is to be spent to prevent further defecits next year.Spin at work again? If the Turners came into this thinking that they are running with a traditional business model then they must be dim or dimmer.

FILL YOUR BOOTS SMUDGER!!

Having read the article I fail to see where the Turners are quoted as saying any of this. It''s just the writer''s opinion, as valid as any of ours.

I would rather go on what my son says of the Turners (he works for them).  From what he says they are true city fans who want the club to be great again.  They run a profitable business, so why can''t they run Norwich City in a better way than it''s being run at present?  Promotion for one thing would bring in a healthy return.

If they are going for true cost cutting measures it is a little surprising to see so many new players on the horizon at the current time.

Its a bit of a non-story IMHO. Whatever business you run, it cannot run endlessy making losses otherwise it will evetually go bust! Even Abramovic has said Chelsea must stand on its own feet and not expect him to keep underwriting losses.

Maybe, just maybe the Turners'' idea is to turn NCFC into a succesful football club. That ultimately is the ONLY way a football club will run at a healthy profit!

if thats true then the Turners Simply havent got a clue.... it also indicates to me that they are looking for a return on their money.. which wont happen...

surely they havent been that naive?

jas :)

I disagree.  I think the turners are unhappy with the view that the football club is running at a loss.  Now I think they are looking at this from a business perspective not a football one.  In any other business a company that makes a loss year after year will not survive very long.  Therfore the turners wish to look at ways that this club can become  profitable using their business experience.  Now in my opinion this does not mean selling our best players or not investing in players, but more a case of extending the clubs avenue for making money away from football, such as events and other ideas.

Dennis also says that the opinion that football clubs should be able to operate at a profit is shared by a lot of businessmen when they first try their hand, even the more experienced like Madejski at Reading try to get the business to support itself, in fact it was reported that he was looking to sell Reading when they promoted because he didn''t believe that the club could stay self-sufficient in the Premiership !

Any businessman going into football should consider it a philanthropic exercise in my opinion.  I''m all for efficiency, but when the likes of Luke Varney are taking 22k a week from Charlton, it will prove impossible to make money in the Championship and be competitive.  If the club wants to be self sufficient it''s best option is likely to be as a yo-yo club between top flight and Championship, but once you promote I believe the temptation will be too great to spend to stay up.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

Having read the article I fail to see where the Turners are quoted as saying any of this. It''s just the writer''s opinion, as valid as any of ours.

I would rather go on what my son says of the Turners (he works for them).  From what he says they are true city fans who want the club to be great again.  They run a profitable business, so why can''t they run Norwich City in a better way than it''s being run at present?  Promotion for one thing would bring in a healthy return.

If they are going for true cost cutting measures it is a little surprising to see so many new players on the horizon at the current time.

[/quote]

Mick Dennis is a journalist of many years standing. Its either true or Dennis has motive - I suggest the former.

What I suspect is to happen stems from the results of the last 3 years:

Loss of prem status & concommitant income levels

Loss of 2 yrs parachute payments.

Probably the costs on the administrative (non-football) side have been built up to unsustainable levels and now need slashing (e.g. see recent discussion on staffing levels - football vs non-football).

Or maybe some of the non-football activities have income streams but are now unprofitable - such as the restaurant?? We no longer entertain Abramovich etc - plus there is competition from the hotel next door.

We need to be lean & trim all over with available resources concentrated on the playing side - the first team squad, academy and scouting system.

Just some initial thoughts. Got to run.

OTBC

P.S. Smith and Jones probably don''t have the appetite for serious cost-cutting - it would harm their image. And Andrew Turner will be the big bad wolf.

there is nothing (other than an opinion) to suggest there is a problem with the Turners. I find it amazing how people on this board are quick to moan about anything but (in some cases very slow to praise). If the Turners are going to cut back on the playing side then they are going the wrong way about it!! New players and new and in some cases very long contracts do not save money!! Please leave them alone!!

[quote user="city r us"]there is nothing (other than an opinion) to suggest there is a problem with the Turners. I find it amazing how people on this board are quick to moan about anything but (in some cases very slow to praise). If the Turners are going to cut back on the playing side then they are going the wrong way about it!! New players and new and in some cases very long contracts do not save money!! Please leave them alone!!
[/quote]

City r us, people aren`t moaning they are discussing the issues raised in the article.The Turners cant take on the directorship of a football club and expect not to be challenged.

Norwich '' R '' Us"

I feel the same a lot of people on this board forget (or don''t realise..) that delia sacrificed a lot of money making oppurtunities to make this club stable.

And still we get this sort of bilge.......

Stunning naivity based on a popular fairytale.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

An interesting article BBB and very worrying if it reflects the Turners views on buying players. It may be they are talking about the administration and general running of the club rather than the player side, but I am clutching at straws here. This may be the signal that no more of the Earnshaw money and the alledged £2M is to be spent to prevent further defecits next year.Spin at work again? If the Turners came into this thinking that they are running with a traditional business model then they must be dim or dimmer.

FILL YOUR BOOTS SMUDGER!!

[/quote]

Well I have stated all along that effectively the Directors would be putting SWEET FA in, but has anybody ever listned to me?  Have they hell!!! 

As for being dim and dimmer, well they have certainly come to the right place then haven''t they??? [:D]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

[/quote]

We have also had 7 players out lets not forget GAZZA... and the majority of those would of been earning considerably more than those that have been brought in as replacements.

Don''t let the real facts distort your version of events though will you???

CARRY ON!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

[quote user="city r us"]there is nothing (other than an opinion) to suggest there is a problem with the Turners. I find it amazing how people on this board are quick to moan about anything but (in some cases very slow to praise). If the Turners are going to cut back on the playing side then they are going the wrong way about it!! New players and new and in some cases very long contracts do not save money!! Please leave them alone!!
[/quote]

City r us, people aren`t moaning they are discussing the issues raised in the article.The Turners cant take on the directorship of a football club and expect not to be challenged.

[/quote]

You can certainly be unchallenged at nice polite, we''re all happy smiles Carrow Road thefutureis [:P]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="gazzathegreat"]

[/quote]

Mick Dennis is a journalist of many years standing. Its either true or Dennis has motive - I suggest the former.

What I suspect is to happen stems from the results of the last 3 years:

Loss of prem status & concommitant income levels

Loss of 2 yrs parachute payments.

Probably the costs on the administrative (non-football) side have been built up to unsustainable levels and now need slashing (e.g. see recent discussion on staffing levels - football vs non-football).

Or maybe some of the non-football activities have income streams but are now unprofitable - such as the restaurant?? We no longer entertain Abramovich etc - plus there is competition from the hotel next door.

We need to be lean & trim all over with available resources concentrated on the playing side - the first team squad, academy and scouting system.

Just some initial thoughts. Got to run.

OTBC

P.S. Smith and Jones probably don''t have the appetite for serious cost-cutting - it would harm their image. And Andrew Turner will be the big bad wolf.

[/quote]

I think people on this forum often assume that the non-football ventures instigated by the board are guaranteed money-makers, but looking at how little of the Prem/Ashton/Green/Francis money was re-invested in the squad i would conclude that they are currently,overall, a drain on finances.

It wouldn`t suprise me at all if the board have bitten off more than they can chew and need the harder-headed Turners to reign it back in for them.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="gazzathegreat"]

[/quote]

We have also had 7 players out lets not forget GAZZA... and the majority of those would of been earning considerably more than those that have been brought in as replacements.

CARRY ON!

[/quote]

Fine, let''s just see what the Turners have to offer us first, before everyone starts on them.  I am sure you are for ambition and money on the pitch Smudger, so I find it strange you are not more welcoming of the Turners.  Are you not happy to get rid of hangers on in the playing dept (and off field too, although that is more difficult for any of us to quantify).  I am happy with PG''s transfer dealings pre season and the mood of determination and ambition shown by the Turners. If they turn out to be seriously bad news for the club then fine, I will put forward my opinion if that so happens, but they have only just joined the board and not had the time to impact seriously upon any of our financial activities.  I am sure we will get in more players and IF we reach the Premiership I am sure you will be more than happy with that Smudger.  If we don''t we don''t.  I am far more encouraged by the dealings this summer than for many years in the recent past. 

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="gazzathegreat"]

[/quote]

CARRY ON!

[/quote]

Come off it Smudger, even you must be able to see that that is a good thing. Who wants to keep paying Thorne thousands of pounds a week for sweet FA when better players can be brought in and paid less?

For months you have been complaining about the cost of the clubs administartion, that there is too much emphasis on non-footballing issues like the kitchens/hotel and the high wages of poor quality players. It looks like the Turners want to challenge this thinking. You off all people should be welcoming that! 

The way we "lost our way" over recent years may be inadequate administration and control, but it could also be largely due to a manager who was surprised to find us promoted and lacked the ability to sustain our premiership challenge, before losing the plot almost enirely. His deficiencies were certainly overlooked for too long by the Board, so this must be a mark against them, even if we liked the loyalty they showed.If the Turners tighten up the administration and increase income generation, this will generate more finance for the playing side. This can''t be bad. They will also have to be ruthless in the unlikely event that PG proves disasterous. I think that PG is not likely to fail (- look at his transfer dealings this summer, and his general awareness and acumen). My fear is that he will be sufficiently successful to attract a big club to poach him from us ("I told you so!")

Well, I think this alleged ''cost-cutting'' has already happened to a degree. I would imagine the signings we are making will be on a Championship-No-Parachute-Payment-based wage structure which is something I''m under the impression the entire squad is subject to in their contracts (judged from comments from the board last season).

At the same time, I am sure the Turners are aware the nest way to ensure a club makes a reasonable profit is to bring in a load of money. There are only so many costs you can cut. That means promotion. If they are these hard and fast business people wanting to make some money, they will want promotion like any other investor coming into a Championship club.

We speculate, but I think it''s clear money has been made available to Grant this summer, despite losing £7m of income. For whatever reason, we are currently in a much better rebuilding position than Palace and Southampton IMO and, whether right or wrong, they are the most accurate comparisons.

This thread really is a new low for this board.

We get new directors in who may possibly (according to one journalist) be looking at how the club is run and seeing if they can improve it, save money, and make the club better off and there are people attacking them.

Give me strength.

It''s time for football as a whole, from the premiership to the conference, to be run on a sound financial basis. It is the worst run industry in UK PLC.

[quote]We get new directors in who may possibly (according to one journalist)

be looking at how the club is run and seeing if they can improve it,

save money, and make the club better off and there are people attacking

them.[/quote]Hi megson,I''m not attacking them, apologies if it cam across that way.  The problem as I see it is, we might have 4 or 5 revenue streams where if you''re careful you might be able to save, say, 100-200k per year if you cut them to the bone.  That makes a million tops, which then gets punted on signing on / agents fees for a loan and a couple of free transfers.  In my opinion, and I guess the opinion of Mick Dennis, The numbers are just too big on the playing side for cutbacks on the admin side to make any meaningful impact.So there needs to be a widespread cutback in player wages, maybe a salary cap, to bring some sanity back into the game.  So what do Sky and Setanta do ?  They pour more petrol onto the fire with even bigger TV deals, making the gap between rich and poor larger than ever.I''m wasting my time working for a living, I wonder if there''s a footballer out there who''d marry a woman who used to be a man ?

[quote user="gazzathegreat"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="gazzathegreat"]

[/quote]

CARRY ON!

[/quote]

Fine, let''s just see what the Turners have to offer us first, before everyone starts on them.  I am sure you are for ambition and money on the pitch Smudger, so I find it strange you are not more welcoming of the Turners.  Are you not happy to get rid of hangers on in the playing dept (and off field too, although that is more difficult for any of us to quantify).  I am happy with PG''s transfer dealings pre season and the mood of determination and ambition shown by the Turners. If they turn out to be seriously bad news for the club then fine, I will put forward my opinion if that so happens, but they have only just joined the board and not had the time to impact seriously upon any of our financial activities.  I am sure we will get in more players and IF we reach the Premiership I am sure you will be more than happy with that Smudger.  If we don''t we don''t.  I am far more encouraged by the dealings this summer than for many years in the recent past. 

[/quote]

I will be happy with the Turners when I eventually see some of their money being invested in the team as promised.

So far we haven''t seen any of it though have we?

[quote user="megson"]

This thread really is a new low for this board.

We get new directors in who may possibly (according to one journalist) be looking at how the club is run and seeing if they can improve it, save money, and make the club better off and there are people attacking them.

Give me strength.

[/quote]

Hear hear!!!! Seconded very strongly, I despair myself.

Just maybe Megson, Shuck, just maybe, if the multitude of supporters of NCFC were kept better informed as to precisely what the current lords of the manor were doing with our club and perhaps consulted, then Mick Dennis would not feel the need to stir matters a bit - to paraphrase him. And result, for example, in a thread such as this.

Medieval secrecy and condescension eventually beget unrest, extreme actions and rebellion.

Democracy is the usual outcome.

The arrogance and condescension of the owners of NCFC is not to their benefit. They haven''t learnt from Chase''s problems - except to put on a layer of PR and inveigle supporters to fund a few special needs via the issue of impotent shares.

Give me strength.

I despair.

[;)][:)]

OTBC

Fair point BlyBlyBabes...

I do wonder if those in "power" at the club actually wonder if they are obliged to let us supporters know of every little details that goes on within the club-are they?

I''m a shareholder and have a decent number but it doesn''t mean I, or any other person other than those with substantial holdings get to know much more than anyone else. Equally, of course, re.shares in other companies, Standard Life, for example, they don''t let on much either.

I''m playing devils advocate here, rather than coming down on one side or the other but I do think that the prevailing attitude is that they do not feel they need to let us know every single detail that goes on within the hallowed walls. So thirty or so supporters decide that isn''t good enough-thirty will take their place-do they think that way as well?

We are told the club has to be ran as a serious business -and if the Turners want to reduce debt, hallelujah!- perhaps they have rather serious business noses as well, who knows?

And the major problem, of course, is that the more that is made public, the more people will pick holes and criticise-again, that is probably how they perceive it. Far better to keep the soundbites and the PR coming from the likes of Joe Ferrari et al, limit the Norwich nourishment and keep us all hungry?

COST CUTTING? I espied this in the jobby section of Archant''s finest "Heavun'' Nooz" larst weakly:

Coming soon......YELLOWS! A brand new casual, brasserie-style restaurant.........(Where''s that going to be then?)...... Probably where Freddie wanted to park his caravan on the club car-park?

Apparently, Delia''s Canary Catering are looking for a sales manager (with passion and pace) to promote this ''restyrunt'' and other products.......It can only be a good thing.......

I might apply, but it may interfere with my following the club both home and away......

"Sod Morrison''s pies, an'' riverside booze establishments an'' stuff on matchdays, I''m gonna fill me boots with Asti-Steradent (if it don''t quench yer thirst it''ll clean yer teeth) Champagne - coupled with ''one forkfull an'' it''s gone!'' quality nuevo nosh in - YELLOWS!"......."FOODBALL IS FOOTBALL!"...."C''mon, an'' let''s be ''avin yoo! Fill yer fat fizzhogs an'' then witness a footy frenzy"........."Come on down and jaundice, and be entertained by MELLO......in YELLOWS!" 

See, I can be a sales manager.........Think I''m in with a shout if I send my CV to Jacqui Cullen at Carra? (But only if I can watch the games for nowt!)..........I can write my CV on the stamped addressed envelope......well, actually........write my CV on the stamp.......I do hope Jacqui''s got a magnifying glass so as she can read it? Should I wear my moth-eaten an'' food, fluid stained and urine soaked scarf and my unwashed retro 70''s footy shirt for the interview? Maybe tell the interview...eez, that Antony Worrying Thompson and Jamie Olives in brine, are not fit to fry burgers or slice dona meat for our Delia! Should I go for it? Think I''m the right geezer for the job?........or am I just seriously over-qualified? I suppose tearing myself away from my steady and heady position of Managing Director of........oops........better keep it quiet, in case I need to use it as a salary negotiating tool.......

Now, what was this thread about again? [:|]