Sign in to follow this  
Hayden

Malky

Old Malks is getting a bit of a battering on this site but can anyone really see him being dropped? He took the armband in Drury''s abscence which clearly indicates Nige sees him as a key influence in the squad. Malks distribution sucks and he made an awful gaff against Reading but he also gets a foot in and when he goes up for corners he at least raises my hopes of a city player meeting the cross. Shackell played well and it is a relief to see that when needed he can come in and do a job, but when fit Malks and Flem will line up every game this season. Worthy is looking to the frontline for his team tinkering so I cannot see a new centre half coming in any time soon.

On another note, I am completely bemused at how Edworthy was available on a free and searching for a club, good news for us mind.

It''s a tough one i agree. It''s the usual youth vs experience arguement. In this case, extreme youth versus extreme experience! Malky has been showing signs of age recently and has been making a few mistakes but watch him in a game and you will see his marking, generally and for corners (so long as he''s not having to run too fast!) is exemplary, his height and presence are a big bonus, and he''s influencial and a good captain when needed. We may notice his mistakes but no-one notices the number of times he heads out a dangerous ball in or keeps a striker at bay. He''s got no pace and against certain players (like forster - nippy tricky players) he can be badly exposed but this can be offset by the full backs. Just look at Martin Keown and Tony Adams. They''re in the same mould as them and like Keown in recent years and Adams at the end of his career, they still had it.
Shackell would be under much more pressure in the middle than outside and faced with a continual bombardment of long balls to defend, as is the staple in Div 1, i''d rather have Malky there at the moment. But his time is nearly up, that''s for sure. Shackell needs to start getting regular games for his own experience and i think Worthy will give him a go where he can. One of Flem or Malky are likely to get injured at some point and I''m sure he''ll get on the bench against Wigan after his showing at Reading.

Shackell needs to be on the bench - we''re screwed if we lose someone during a game because Holt is possibly the only other player that could fill in. He also needs to get some games under his belt; he looks solid and pacey but his distrubution on Tuesday was dreadful. But he''s only young and has time to develop that; Malky doesn''t.
I''m not the biggest fan of Malky and I don''t think he''ll last the season but he certainly got us out of trouble in the second half against Reading. They weren''t short of pace but he adjusted to that and read the game well, much like Fleming does consistently. However, it''s a good job Defoe and Connolly are out of the West Ham game because they would have made mincemeat of old Braveheart.
My concern is that Malky panics too much, hoofing the ball when a simple pass would be more constructive. Fleming, not a bad passer, follows suit and we end up playing ping-pong, which is made all the easier now that Crouch is up front. They need to remember that he likes a ball to feet as much as Huckerby, as he showed in the second half against Reading.
We need a ball playing centre half - as simple as that. We might get by this year, but the sooner we start passing from the back, the sooner we go up and stay up.

thought id be a bit of a nob and bring up the last thread on the forum to the first

I think it''s quite relevant when you consider the role that Nelson may play this season.

[quote user="Nonki"]I think it''s quite relevant when you consider the role that Nelson may play this season.[/quote]Nelson did fantastically well for us last season but he''s not a Championship level defender.  Too slow to turn, and too panicked with the ball at his feet.  He''ll do well against Coventry as defending hoofball is his game, but any subtlety will find him unstuck.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Nonki"]I think it''s quite relevant when you consider the role that Nelson may play this season.[/quote]Nelson did fantastically well for us last season but he''s not a Championship level defender.  Too slow to turn, and too panicked with the ball at his feet.  He''ll do well against Coventry as defending hoofball is his game, but any subtlety will find him unstuck.[/quote]Agree 1,000,000%.In the air he will be comfy against all but the top few strikers in the division (Carrol last Saturday beat him i think every time but one)On the floor/facing his own goal/against pace/defending a tricky player with a turn or two in his armoury - no chance.His distribution has improved since his canary debut, but it''s still the worst in the entire squad by some distance.

If this thread suggests anything it''s that if Nelson scores a couple against the scum he will suddenly become a folk hero, and leaving him out of the side on our promotion to the Premier League will cost the manager his job...