Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Rest Hucks

Ok, maybe not against Cardiff as they will be dreading facing him again but i think it may be worth giving him a rest and having him fresh and raring to go for the run in.
I want to see the Sven and Leon show again and i really want to see Leon getting some starts. They looked quality together against the binners at the toilet and at Derby. Eventhough it was a while ago they don''t seem to have forgotten playing together at Palace.

Sorry, I don''t agree. First of all, this is the run-in and secondly, resting Huckerby now is analgous to suggesting resting the camels while you take a quick trip across the desert.

By rest I take it you mean start on the bench?
I''d like to see Leon in against Cardiff with Hucks! Possibly even 4-3-3.....and go for it.
Hucks to be fair does not look like he needs a rest and why do so when he is scoring or assisting in every game (apart from W. Brom).
Shackell may even get a game against Cardiff if injuries dont clear up....

Sorry a1, I''m with Yankee here. Whilest Hucks is still playing as well as he is I see no point in dropping him to the bench. I too want to see Leon given a proper run out but he will get his chance. We can''t take anythng for granted. Imagine if we dropped Hucks against a smaller club (say Gillingham at home) and lost. We''d look pretty arragant.

When I was a kid, my parents used to warn me against playing with "expensive" toys too often in case they got broken. I never understood the logic of that philosophy then and I don''t understand it here either.
I want to see as much Huckerby as possible between now and the end of the season (unlike the defenders at the other Div. I clubs).

a1 - this is the run in

All points count whenever they are won

I want the foot flat on the pedal. Every point we miss now will have to be gained later.

Field the strongest team and sod the hard feelings. If it means shooting the odd player to encourage the others so be it.

I don''t want no home games against Burnley as in 2002. I don''t want no penalty sudden deaths either.

I want promotion in April, Championship in May and at least two games left to lord it over the rest.

As to Huckerby then give me a tenth of his match fee and I''ll be up and down that bloody pitch faster than Sheepshanks across the boardroom floor when drinks cabinet has been left open,

Thats all very well Mad Dan , but you also have to take the ball with you when you`r running up and down the park !! , and you also have to get by blokes trying to kick the **** out of you while your doing it .......... oh ! , then you have to get the ball in the net while there are bodies, legs and arms thrashing away around you ..........if you can do that apply to Mr Worthington !!! :)

I just mean start him on the bench. I''m going to get more disagreement now but while he is great, he is god and we do need him, i just wonder if as a pairing, Leon and Matt is more effective than Dazz and Matt? I would like to see them given a start for the following reasons:
a) two of our best performances this season have been with them two up front
b) it would make us less reliant on Hucks, less one dimensional and would take the pressure off him at a time when we may begin to take him for granted
c) it would show other teams that we are no one man team
d) Leon NEEDS a game or he''s going to start resenting Huckerby-no matter how together the team may seem, it will begin to rile Leon if it carries on much longer. When you have a clutch of decent strikers all champing at the bit, you have to give them games to keep them champing! Otherwise he''ll just get p*ss*d off and become disruptive, go to the press etc etc
e) imagine having Hucks as a sub to bring on in the last twenty when opposition legs are tyring!

Yankee, your analogy is amusing but ridiculous. If Huckerby is the only ''Camel'' who can carry us across the desert, then we really are a one man team. There are plenty of other Camels in the team!

I have to admit I can see where you are coming from. It will give others a chance. Also, i think it would be a great asset to have on the bench to get a good 20-25 mins at the end of the game, plus as any football player knows, sitting on the bench watching means you will be chomping at the bit to get some action. Possibly a bit risky, but I wouldn''t blame Worthington for trying it. At the end of the day we are not a 1 player club.

Ooh, be careful, you might even win some of the others over with a well thought argument like that! The only flaw in your argument though is that under no circumstances should we be considering leaving out a player who is on the top of his game who clearly doesn''t need or want a rest! I agree that Leon and Matt looks a very good pairing, and I have every sympathy with Leon at the moment - 4 goals in 5 games is an enviable record, and any other season would make his the first name on the team sheet.

Wonderful, this choice of quality, isn''t it?

I think though, we ought to be more worried about the defence at the moment - Drury out, Brennan withdrawn injured, Edworthy struggling with a knock during the second half.......

Okay, so Briggs, Mackay, Fleming, Shackell still doesn''t sound bad, but where is the cover?

A1,
Cant believe you''re even suggesting it in fact I''m speechless and that doesn''t happen very often.
Yankee,
Wecome back I''ve missed you too!!

I''m sure you''ll get you''re speech back before long Angel! I still think the side that played the binners at their place is an excellent one. For the opposition to have to deal with Sven and Leon and to then look on the bench to see Huckerby warming up with fresh legs will scare the pants off them.
As someone else said, Leon is the 20 a season striker we''ve been looking for and to have him getting just 5 minutes at the end of every game is crazy. Sides know that our game revolves around Hucks too much sometimes and if he has a quiet time so does the side. We can''t rely on Malky to score a brace when Hucks is having a quiet day. We need to be able to go back to the conventional game, wingers putting balls into the box for sven and leon to pray on as they did at Ipswich. And then to be able to bring on something different in Hucks. I''m not saying he should be consigned to the bench permanently, just mix the way we play up a bit, otherwise we''ll get predictable and too reliant on Hucks.
Also, i think 4-3-3 is worth another go at home at least, as employed by Notts Forest last year with Huckerby Johnson and Harewood.