Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Come on then everyone...........

Simple question....

Where do you believe we will end up this season if we stick with the current signings added to the squad ie..Big Dave,semmy,Cureton,gilks,marshall and the judge? And who do you think will be the hidden jem amongst them? Im going for around 10-12th and i reckon Marshall will be the boy,and brellier will be the new fans fave purely for his up and at em attitude.

There are many factors that will define whether a team will have a good or bad season so I think its impossible to make such predictions simiply based on pre-season signings. I personally always hope for a successful season no matter what, but generally I start by looking for the team to earn enough points to avoid relegation (50+), then earning enough for play-offs (75+), then automatic promotion (85+). I find it best with football, as a fan, to stay in the moment.

It''s too early to say, but I believe the squad we have, with a quality Centre Back and Central Midfielder, will have the ability to reach the playoffs.  Whether they will is a completely different matter.

Eek. It''s such a difficult question, and I am pretty shocking a predictions.

All I really want before the season has started is for us to be in with a shout of promotion on the last day of the season, at least. As always, that is what I think we''ll do.

In the playoff season, as we all know, we lost our first game 4-0. In our Championship season, we threw away a two-goal lead at Bardford.

Neither time, at that point, could we see what would happen, let alone during preseason.

So, I hope we will be in with a shout of the playoffs at least before the last game of the season. I think we are one of 15 teams who could go up, but the size of the question mark is too big for my puter screen.

Top - aim for that and if we miss and come second I''d settle for it! Realistically depending on factors like injuries, form, gelling the team, future transfers (in and out) I can''t comment properly but I''m certainly looking for playoffs but you can''t make an informed decision until August 31 at the very earliest as then you''ll have your squad and can see how the players have started to play together - but even then you can''t account for form or injuries.

All in all, I''m optimistically on the fence.

It''s too earlier to tell as i dont think Grant has finished his transfers (Safri''s £1.5 million and extra cost may bring in a HUGE defender)...... Anyway with this mystery defender i''d say we are playoff material!

The squad looks better shaped and the signings are encouraging on paper;  but we need the team to gel, the tactics to be right (trying picking a formation for a starting 11 - its not obvious)  and individuals to perform on the pitch for them to be le juge''d a success.

At the moment it is no different from three weeks ago - anywhere between 3rd and 19th;  with a gut feel for 7th-11th at the mo - driven more by pre-season optimism than anything else. 

where do i think we will come?  to half. where should we be aiming.. top.

If we get promoted then we should aim to win the premiership.

Laugh all u like but whats the point in taking part if u dont hardbour ambitions of being the best.

jas :)

I really wouldn''t like to say. There are far too many factors that contribute to the success or otherwise of a football team. We might get new players in, we may lose some to other teams. Will we lose key players to injury at important times in the season? Will the new players gel? Will mangement get the tactics right? Will the players implement the tactics right? Will other teams field weekened teams whene they play us and/or our rivals (either deliberately or through injury)? Will we face other teams when they are on a high or at rock bottom? Will the crowd encourage the players or berate them? How will the players (individually and as a team) respond to that? Will more key decisions by the officials go our way or against us, or will they even out over the course of the season? Will there be incidents between players off the field that affect their performances on it? That''s why I find team sports so interesting; you just can''t predict how they''re going to pan out. If you could, the bookies would be out of a job...

I''m optimistic for the new season because that''s my nature, but will continue to support all NCFC players on the field who demonstrate passion and committment.

OTBC

Like most people here i have never seen Gilks, Dave the Striker, Brellier play, and not seen Oostenboor / Marshall play a tremendous amount, so i''m quite keen to reserve judgement on where we will finish until i have seen these players play

At the moment (without any more new additions to the squad)...

I would go for somewhere between 8th and 16th place...

Can probably narrow that down by the end of August, but I would expect it to be somewhere between 10th and 16th.

Unless another 3 or 4 quality players are brought in (without reasonable players leaving as well) then we do not have a hope in hell of finishing in the play-off''s!!!

IF PG can get them to gellIF PG can get Dickson to play most of the whileIF there are no long term injuriesTHEN we should be in with a shout of a play-off place. Proably with things conspiring against, we shall jusy miss out - say 7th or 8th.

If we can sign another 2 quality players AND replace the ones that will be leaving (Safri) i believe palyoffs may be just achievable. but it will be tight. Dickson must not leave though.

We have chadwick a couple of others coming back from injury and perhaps fozzy will show us what he is made of.

I feel more optimistic now than i did this time last season, but we must spend more money on quality.

[quote user="jimmy500"]1st or 2nd, anyone fancy giving me odds on this.[/quote]

betfair will give u 32/1

worth a punt!

jas :)

With a centre half and a decent playmaker added to the squad we could make the playoffs.

Without..........

I expect half way down the league at best.

If the new guys are as good as people generally seem to think, plus Striker and a couple of quality additions then I think top 6 is possible. The important thing is we get a team spirit back, like when we got promoted, confidence and big support from the crowd makes a huge difference. If we dont gel as a team, and start performing away from home like we did last season then the outcome will be pretty much the same as 06/07.

What I really want to see is some genuine leadership on the field, not Granty shouting and hollering from the line but players who are big enough to pull the team together and lead by example.Who will do that for us, Dion , hopefully the Judge, I start scratching my head after that! 

I think they''ll finish between 4th and 6th .

But I always have a bet on them to finish first and got odds of 33/1 with BetFred. [:)]

[quote user="Le Juge"]

Top - aim for that and if we miss and come second I''d settle for it! Realistically depending on factors like injuries, form, gelling the team, future transfers (in and out) I can''t comment properly but I''m certainly looking for playoffs but you can''t make an informed decision until August 31 at the very earliest as then you''ll have your squad and can see how the players have started to play together - but even then you can''t account for form or injuries.

[/quote]

Where were Sunderland in the league at the end of August last season.........

Where were Brum in October after we won at their place and they were calling from Bruce''s head...........

we need a central midfield that will dominate the centre of the park, and a quality centre half partnership to snuff out the goals.  we''ve got the talent to score the goals in my view - our relegation and subsequent failure to win promotion comes from a leaky defence.i''m not convinced by the doc and shacks combo - i simply don''t beleive they can get us into the top6.  if the judge and dicko can rule the middle of the park and we get a decent centre half/s in to plug the gaps - i''m optimistic we can aim for top 6.  a spine of  -  marshall                      centre half???                      brellier                      curetonlooks promising on paper.

[quote user="Smudger"]

500-1

[/quote]

I''ll have a tenner on that.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

If the new guys are as good as people generally seem to think, plus Striker and a couple of quality additions then I think top 6 is possible. The important thing is we get a team spirit back, like when we got promoted, confidence and big support from the crowd makes a huge difference. If we dont gel as a team, and start performing away from home like we did last season then the outcome will be pretty much the same as 06/07.

[/quote]

I agree with the team spirit thing - it''s been completely absent since 15th May, 2005. And that team spirit wasn''t just present in 03/04, but 01/02 as well, when we reached the play-off final with a relatively modest group of players (how else did a squad containing the likes of Mark Rivers and Clint Easton get that far?).

Hopefully that''s starting to return now, but also I wouldn''t consider finishing 7th-8th as failure given the last two seasons. If we can make a challenge this season but fall short I would consider that progress and we would definitely be heading in the right direction. More of the same, however...

[quote user="Smudger"]

500-1

[/quote]

Can I have £20 of that Smudge? [:^)]

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"][quote user="Le Juge"]

[/quote]

Where were Sunderland in the league at the end of August last season.........

Where were Brum in October after we won at their place and they were calling from Bruce''s head...........

[/quote]

And after five games, we were second.

I think we need a new centre back. In fact, I think we all agree on that. But we should also be interested in whether we tighten up as a result of (potentially) strengthening our midfield, and having a settled goalkeeper in either Marshall or Gilks. Plus Semmy too, of course.

I''m convinced we need a new CB just for competition, but we have already made some changes to tighten us up next year I feel.

But the question mark is still huge.  

[quote user="jimmy500"]Thats £25 each way being staked today.  Should make everything a little more exciting....[/quote]

Sorry e/w bets don''t count... hit the mail on the head... top two at 500-1 or forget it.

I mean what would an e/w bet be?  125-1 to finish in the top 6?

Forgive me but not even I am that generous!!! [:O]