Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

West Brom Vs Wigan- What do we want?

Hugely important game at the Hawthorns on Tuesday. 2nd Vs 3rd. It''ll be tight, blood and thunder stuff I''m sure. But what do we want? All three result possibilites are potentially good one''s for us:

WBA win- Increase lead on Wigan
Draw- Both teams drop points
Wigan win- Increase lead on WBA

I am basing this on the fact that we win, which I know is not guaranteed by any means. However, if we turn up in the first half we have the quality to beat Gillingham. Therefore it''ll be an excellent oppertunity for us, as at least one of our two biggest rivals will drop points.

I''m going to go out on a limb here and hope for a draw or Wigan win. I''d rather have a bit of a gap on WBA as I think we will be able to fend off the third place team. Also we have the chance to extend our lead on Wigan when we play them over Easter.

whatever happens we benefit,but basing it on points dropped by opponents,a draw would mean 4 dropped where as a win would 3 points dropped,and so at this stage of the season i would go for a draw

Providing we win DD I''d take a WBA win, stuff the title, two go up remember. That would make the gap 12 points, but keep an eye on Sheffield Utd in fourth with 58 points.

West Brom will win, and that''s the best result for us.

Twelve point gap, all those below us to play each other.

Bring it on!

We`re not just going to turn up and win you know! Have people learned nothing from Watford + Bradford? One thing causes results such as these and thats complacency, and theres too much of it wafting around these boards in my opinion.

People who turn up tomorrow and sit back with their arms folded, waiting for an inevitable victory+ then moan if things dont go according to plan dont deserve to see the team go up.

I want premiership football next season - going up as champeens would simply be the icing on a wonderful cake - as such a home win for us against the gills with the baggies winning too is the best scenario for me.

OTBC

Please read my posts more carefully Mr.Carrow. I said quite clearly that tomorrow wasn''t a clear cut thing by any means. I know we can''t just turn up and expect a win. In recent years we have come unstuck against so called lesser opposition. All I''m saying is that we CAN win. There''s no doubt we are better than Gillingham and if we play to the level we know we can we should be able to beat them.

Wiz and Peter,

I agree that promotion is of course the number 1 priority. Next year nobody will remember if we came 1st or 2nd. However it would be so nice to have a trophy. We haven''t one anything for 19 years now. I think it''s that? I parade through the city in an open top bus with thousands of fans lining the street would be absolutley wonderful. Of course I won''t be disappointed with second place, but being Champions would be amazing.

Well I''d go for a draw in the West Brom/Wigan game - that would do us just fine, but don''t tell me why, I sense a Wigan win - arrgghhhh!

Wiz says look out for Sheff Utd - true, but also keep a very close eye on Sunderland - if they win their two games the have in hand on us they''ll only be 6pts behind and with us still to play - I know they have to play a load of games in a short period - but their tails are up - watch out!

Its all getting a bit too ''brown trousers'' for me - I know one loss is not the end of the world but I''m not feeling good today for a host of reasons. Come on City - please give us a win tomorrow to calm our nerves - at least until Saturday.

Yes and we `should` have been able to beat Watford+ Bradford and West Brom `should` have beaten Rotherham and got more than a point out of 2 games against MK franchise......The way things have gone in Div 1 this season that kind of statement is pretty pointless. As for people already talking about a 12 point gap, if Wigan win and we lose it`ll be 6 points so it is obvious how big a game it is.

My point is that i remember exactly these kind of comments flying around before our home defeats and walking to the ground overhearing people talking about a 4-0 win + Hucks hat-trick. Its amazing how often in football over-confidence leads to a slap in the face.

Ive just been reading some reviews of the Gills 0-0 draw at Preston and,despite their injury problems, they sound like your classic tight,defensive,physical,frustrating side that we do still often struggle against. There is no doubt tomorrow is a potential banana-skin, thats not being negative or trying to make people nervous, just trying to point out that we can all have an effect on the result by creating a passionate atmosphere, rather than complacently assuming we are going to win as many people seem to approaching games like this.

West Brom have to win......3 place position needs to keep its distance....

Yeller Weller - good idea - maybe both teams (and the rest of the top 12 while we''re about it) could field a few ineligible players or suddenly be forced into administration!

I''ll give Mr Blatter a call - i''m sure UEFA/FIFA can introduce a new rule for us, and besides I do have some photo''s of his stay in La Manga...

Agree with your choice and could the hamstring injuries include Koumas or Horsfield for WBA, and Bullard or Ellington for Wigan.

It''s got to be a West Brom win for me, followed by a draw if that doesn''t happen. Making Wigan''s task of reaching us harder has got to be the way to go. Never mind the title...I just want us to get up. (A WB win would make for one happy bunny in my office, and as I work closely with him this would also make for a pleasant few days for me, instead of me having to cope with Mr. Grumpy and all his associated nasty habits when he''s in a bad mood!)

West Brom to win is the result we need which when we beat Gillingham means a 12 point gap between us and Wigan.The bigger gap between us and 3rd place the better!!!

I don''t agree cityangel. Your perspective would be okay if Wigan were the only other contender to worry about but they''re not. The view I have at this point is as follows:
Although all things are possible the most probable scenario is that it would it would be a real stretch for teams currently below 7th place to achieve an automatic promotion spot, not impossible but very unlikely. If this is true, then we have five other teams to be concerned about other than Wigan. In terms of the top seven teams playing against each other Wigan appears to have the toughest schedule, followed by Sunderland, each of whom plays 5 games against top seven teams. Sunderland, of course, are the best placed from a potential points/games remaining standpoint, particularly given that they have yet to play both Norwich and West Brom at home. In term of top seven games Sheffield United have the least to play ( 2 games ) followed by Norwich with 3 games. I realize it gets all rather confusing but I believe the odds stack in our favour if WBA and Wigan tie. If WBA wins ( and we lose ) we find ourselves needing to win our game in hand ( at Sunderland ) just to catch WBA, with Sunderland hot on our heels. No, I agree with an earlier poster, i.e. a WBA/Wigan tie serves our purpose best, and if this occurred it would be even sweeter if we took full points against Gillingham. That scenario would leave us 2 points and a game in hand in front of WBA ( they would have 9 games remaining ) and eleven points in front of Wigan. I like that picture and will be hoping for this when the smoke settles tomorrow night.

i wouldnt want west brom to win after their unsportsmanlike show against us a few weeks ago. i''d like us to go up to the premiership with wigan. norwich, wigan and sunderland for promotion, with sunderland beating ipswich, hammers, sheff u or baggies in the playoff on penalties just for a little touch of schadenfreude.

I heard that Schadenfreude was at Colney training with the first team on Monday. Does anybody know anything about him?