Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Dont be fooled by the frees-wheres the money gone?

Mello, I haven''t been in Scores since last season, but have it on good authority that it''s due a refurbishment - and will be opening at other times than matchdays, presumably to compete with Riverside...

The cogent points here should be - Who have we signed, and will those signings make the necessary improvements we need?The price of the players we have signed and the amount of money left available is in some ways is irrelevant if we get in the right players.Would you care if we had a guaranteed £3 million left in reserve if we''d just gone out and signed Ronaldinho, Kaka and Puyol on Bosman''s? I wouldn''t as I''d know that we''d just added some top class players to the squad and didn''t NEED to spend the remaining budget.It would appear that to some fans, a transfer budget does the equivalent of ''burning a hole in your pocket'' and unless we spend every last penny of it (and possibly borrow more from your mates), we''re unambitious and prudent.Leicester have so far signed at least 8 players for the same or less outlay than we have made on 5-6, so I guess Mandaric is just a cheapskate with no ambition? That can''t be right as I thought these multi-million pound foreign investors were the be all, and end all when it comes to club ownership???Grant has said he wasn''t in for Eastwood, Sharp wanted to go back to Sheffield and Varney wanted to go to Charlton and get a stupidly high wage packet. Quite how someone can defend paying £2 million and over £20k a week for a League 1 striker (That''s the old Division 3 you know...) and then criticise the signing of one of their teammates on a free transfer is beyond me.We have done very well so far in the market and got some genuinely good players for very little money, Brellier and Marshall in particular are excellent acquisitions. Cureton IS a proven goalscorer and if you check his career stats, he averages a goal every 2.7 games, which if he played the full season would give us at least 17 goals, and last season he performed better then this. The only real unproven player we''ve gone in for is Strihavka, he did perform well for his club this year, he is a tall target man who could play alongside either Cureton, Martin or Hucks, and he isn''t costing silly money. We''ll all have to withhold judgement but from what we''ve seen, he could be a fantastic addition.So there you have it, proven players (in general) who will improve what was a very weak squad, and we still could potentially spend any remaining budget in the coming weeks. Really can''t see what there is to complain about?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Ive taken it what you have said but ultimately we are languishing in the bottom half

[/quote]

Funny that, I was under the impression that the season hadn''t started yet. If we change our name to AFC Norwich will you stop the endless whingeing?

Cureton WAS third choice and we have to except that.

[/quote]

I don''t think you''ll find that we do have to accept this Arthur, it is merely your opinion. You''re entitled to it but I think you''re wrong. Blah x3 has posted a link to an interview given where PG states that he never enquired about Eastwood, are you calling him a liar?

[quote user="Richard Branson"]

By the way i was made redundant in the 80s from bouton and pauls and invested my money  into a company that now has outlets in 3 European countries. I would rather die knowing i had tried insted of plodding along wondering what could of been!

[/quote]

Whoopee doo, am I the only person who is thoroughly bored of people using this forum to boast about their business acumen. I''ve worked for the same company for seventeen years, always making enough money to keep me in booze and reasonably fashionable clothes and latterly feed and clothe my two kids. My jobs pretty dull (the amount of time I spend on here when I should be working bears witness to this!) but I''m happy. The thing is Arthur, I don''t think anybody''s remotely interested in my employment history so I''ve never mentioned it before. Perhaps we should all post our CV so that we can distiguish the workshy plodders like me from the entrepreneurs such as yourself?

Bang on BP.  Truth is that no one knows outside of a small circle in the club and there are very good reasons for them to keep quiet.

Turning to the point of this thread : "Where''s the Money Gone"

Who says it has gone anywhere?  Surely the money is still with the club.   If I go shopping with £100 and spend £20 then I''ve still got £80 in my pocket.  Why is the club any different?

Whether the Club should or will spend the money remains to be seen.  We have had enough of buying any old rubbish after all.  There is a legitimate debate over what acquisitions would strengthen the team and what expendiure would be appropriate.

To suggest that the money has "gone" is to suggest some duplicity by the Club.  There is no evidence for that .  Apart from anything else, Mumby was careful not to put a figure on the transfer budget.

This thread is mischievous by asking a conspiracy type question without any justification and I question Arthur''s motives.

Its pretty simple really, no one doing the speculation on here at the moment is a board member I assume, therefore, any speculation is just pure guess work at best, with maybe a little malice chucked in for good measure from certain quarters!.

Until the real, undisputed facts are known, may I suggest silence would be the more sensible option.[:|]

[quote user="Peter Grant''s Tartan Army"]

Can i just add

No-one ever said we had, £8 Million, thats ridiculous.

The Turner''s have put in a sum, which seems to be arounf £3 Million for transfers, add this to the Earny Sale, you get £6 Million.

/quote]

PGTA, if David Strihavka is the last buy then whichever way you cut it we will have spent less in transfer fees than we have paid out.

Before the transfer window opened the big talking point on this board was the size of our transfer budget. We had all sorts of opinions from £8 million plus right down to Smudgers zero. Personally, I was hoping for about £4-5 million as this would have shown we were serious in our ambitions for promotion.

Looking at the figures so far it seems we have sold for £3.5 million and bought for about £2.7 million.

Smudger! your spending estimate of zero has turned out to be wildly optimistic. The true figure appears to be minus £800k.

Despite all the smoke and mirrors it''s quite plain to see that prudence has again triumphed over ambition.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]

The £2m that the Turners put in was clearly identified as money to prevent sales to balance the books so was never transfer money. That leaves (on your calculations) £3 - 4.5 million.

Then there is the £3m that you state was in the kitty to start with. You back that up by quoting £2m bids we made for top strikers as proff that that money existed. Its equally possible that the board were bidding for those players with the expectation that Earnie could well be going and using the money from him to finance the approach. That leaves £1 - 2.5 million.

Then there is the fact that we have lost £7 million in parachute payments this year. Some of that has been recouped by reducing the wage bill by getting rid of no hope players but it is obvious that that sort of shortfall cannot be fully recovered. Heance my specualtion is that there is very little left in the kitty.

So your calculations show we have millions to spend and mine show we have nothing. All it goes to prove is that you can do anything with figures and neither of us has any idea what the true picture is. 

[/quote].

So they either told us Earnshaw would only go for silly money when we made these bids yet the facts are there that this escape clause existed all along. Basically you are saying the board lied. Just who can you trust?

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

"Grant has came out and said he wanted Eastwood, why didn''t he better the Wolves bid?"

Because Eastwood wasn''t interested in joining Norwich- or Charlton come to that- he wanted to join Wolves, end of story. What is the club meant to do, put him in a sack and make him sign a contract at gunpoint? Do we really want a player playing for us who clearly would prefer to be at another club? Do we even want to be chasing a player who has made it clear which club he wants to join? You talk about our ambition, what about Eastwoods? If he wanted Prem football, shouldn''t he have joined Charlton who have a far better chance than either us -or Wolves- of promotion next season. What is he motivated by, therefore-football or money? Do we want a player who is in it more for the money than to achieve anything in the game?

Same with Sharp. He wanted to join Sheffield United. End of, as above. 

Varney. Charlton offered him silly money, its supposedly over £20k a week-want us to pay an ex-Crewe player that much money, want us to break the existing pay structure and have the rest of the squad demanding parity? Dressing room unrest?

Cureton WANTED to join Norwich. And, argue away, he was the highest goalscorer in the CCC last season, Eastwood was no where. Cureton was half the cost of Eastwood, transfer fee and I would imagine, wages. I know who I''d prefer.

Where has the money gone? Well, I hope some of it has gone on paying off some debts. Or should the club run at a loss, year after year after year? Is that acceptable to you? It isn''t to the people that the club owe money to, what are they going to do in 3,4,5 years time if the debts keep on going up, laugh and say "never mind, you keep the money and spend it on lots of players" or are they going to take action to get their money back, look what happened at Leeds, they are where they are because their Chairman was a supporter and was in a position to do what all of you think we should do, spend money we haven''t got and will never have.

The way some people go on, you''d think that is what we should be doing. Bet you aren''t so cavalier with your own incomes and expenses-yet its OK to sit there and make unrealistic demands of someone elses? OK, I can play that game, lets do it with all of yours-got a house worth £200''000? Hell, what sort of ambition is that, go on, get out there and buy one for £400''000, you earnt £40''000 last year alone, wheres the money gone? Only driving a Ford Focus? God help us all, you''re happy with that and so-and-so up the road is swanning about in a Lexus, why didn''t you make a bid for that Lexus? Lack of motoring ambition, get out there and buy one. Only going to France on holiday? See you''re accepting the cheap option again, you and the wife have bottled it, why can''t you go for three weeks in New Zealand like some others are? Can''t afford it-thats got nothingn to do with it, go anyway, wheres the ambition and where has all the money gone...?

[/quote]

On another thread, see how it mentions the board are the ones who need to sell the club to the player. Charlton done a better job on Varney and Wolves done a better job on Eastwood and Sheff utd done a better job on Sharp.

Its all about showing the player your plans. Clearly the 3 players all feel they have a better future at Charlton Wolves and Sheff Utd.

The rest of your post is speculation.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Ive taken it what you have said but ultimately we are languishing in the bottom half

[/quote]

Funny that, I was under the impression that the season hadn''t started yet. If we change our name to AFC Norwich will you stop the endless whingeing?

[/quote]

I don''t think you''ll find that we do have to accept this Arthur, it is merely your opinion. You''re entitled to it but I think you''re wrong. Blah x3 has posted a link to an interview given where PG states that he never enquired about Eastwood, are you calling him a liar?

By the way i was made redundant in the 80s from bouton and pauls and invested my money  into a company that now has outlets in 3 European countries. I would rather die knowing i had tried insted of plodding along wondering what could of been!

[/quote]

Whoopee doo, am I the only person who is thoroughly bored of people using this forum to boast about their business acumen. I''ve worked for the same company for seventeen years, always making enough money to keep me in booze and reasonably fashionable clothes and latterly feed and clothe my two kids. My jobs pretty dull (the amount of time I spend on here when I should be working bears witness to this!) but I''m happy. The thing is Arthur, I don''t think anybody''s remotely interested in my employment history so I''ve never mentioned it before. Perhaps we should all post our CV so that we can distiguish the workshy plodders like me from the entrepreneurs such as yourself?

[/quote]

I think i saw and many others saw this as an example by Arthur, if he was trying to get his company publicity whyn did he not mention its name?

Southend United claim they have rejected a £1.5million offer from Norwich City for striker Freddy Eastwood. “Norwich have made a bid for Freddy but I have told them that they are not offering enough,” club chairman Ron Martin said yesterday.

City''s Eastwood bid rejected - claim- 22/06/2007 13:51:00
Southend United today claimed they had rejected a £1.5million offer from Norwich City for striker Freddy Eastwood. “Norwich have made a bid for Freddy but I have told them that they are not offering enough,” club chairman Ron Martin told the Southend Echo.

From evening news 24 archives.

Are you calling them liars?

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Firstly this whole debate was for peoples opininions not for the likes of you to get personal. Yes, the season has yet to start but we ended up 16th last season and we all have yet to be convinced that the players we have signed are better then the current squad. Do you actually believe Cureton was his first choice? if so why didnt PG go for him straight away? Im not calling anyone a liar, i was under the impression we had put bids in for Eastwood so please dont put words in my mouth. Its a very naive outllook to think that PG has had it all his own way in the transfer market in my opinion. We have alot of money sitting there if you believe what has been stated by the pro board fans and the board itself, if thats the case surely the manager would have signed more players. It seems to me that if someone dear suggests the moneys not there the usual suspects come out saying so and so has lent us this and the board has bid this much for him plus the cash from earnie ect ect, and  then when nothing actually comes from it the same people will say ''''why do we need to buy him?im glad we got so and so insted. would you rather we do a Leeds [yawn] ect ect. I bet if we had signed some of the players we have mentioned everyone would be sayin ''''Now thats ambition Arhur, Smudge, Cluck,Ricky ect ect..

As for your last piece i really couldnt give a monkeys if you thought i worked as a binman, why would i want to shout about my buisness on here, i doubt if ive ever met any of you. I was using it as a point that some people take risks in life because they want to get to the top, thats were me and you differ and thats why no doubt we have a different opinion on how the club should be run,personally i admire the go getters insted of the ones who like to stair out of the window watching life pass them by.

For the last two seasons i have been reading almost exactly the same posts on here every transfer window. "Why should we spend it all now,we`ll have plenty in the next transfer window...." then of course come the next transfer window we spend peanuts and its "Why should we spend it all now....."

The last accounts (covering the season following relegation) show a £3million profit in the transfer market on top of £8million in tv revenue. Since then we have sold Green/Mckenzie/Earnshaw for around £6million received another £8million in tv revenue and spent £3million (being very generous) on new players.

If someone had told you during the Prem season that the club would be relegated and that NONE of the parachute payments would go on squad strengthening and the club would actually make a massive profit in the transfer market in the period it was receiving them, would you have been happy with that? The club HAVE HAD the money, it hasn`t gone on the team-cue poor performances, uninspiring signings, squad weakness, unrest and negativity. All pretty predictable. Based on recent events those who are worried that the Earnshaw money will not be spent on the team are not negative, but realistic. As supporters of the club, are you not in the slightest bit concerned where the money goes? Given that despite all these bonus millions we still can`t compete on the pitch with Colchester and financially crippled Ipswich shouldn`t we be asking a few questions? It seems that the Turners are, so perhaps you should have a go at them too for upsetting the poor little mites on the board.

When did anyone at the club ever say that all of the money we have is to spend now, for all we know Grant could be keeping alot of it back for the January transfer window. I would rather spend the money on someone decent who will improve our team than rushing in throwing money at everything that can kick a ball, whos to say Grant hasn''t got players lined up already but is just keeping them on the hush so noone else makes a bid, all we can do is speculate about it until it the players have actually signed and i think people are getting to wound up when the transfer window hasnt even closed, there is still along time left for Grant to make signings whether that be free transfers or paying money idont think makes a difference as long as they improve the team. Would people on this message board be more happy if we had paid money for the likes of Ostemobor, Gilks and Brellier or bought altenatives of the same quality who cost money. The truth is Grant has to strenghen the whole squad and at the moment had done well by bringing in good free signings. If we were to bot get in any frees we would have to spread all of our money buying alot of players and this would decrease the quality of those players.

In conclusion noone on this meesage board knows the exact sums of money the club has to spend so all we can to is speculate so there is no point belitling someones opinion because for all we know it could be correct

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Bang on BP.  Truth is that no one knows outside of a small circle in the club and there are very good reasons for them to keep quiet.

Turning to the point of this thread : "Where''s the Money Gone"

Who says it has gone anywhere?  Surely the money is still with the club.   If I go shopping with £100 and spend £20 then I''ve still got £80 in my pocket.  Why is the club any different?

Whether the Club should or will spend the money remains to be seen.  We have had enough of buying any old rubbish after all.  There is a legitimate debate over what acquisitions would strengthen the team and what expendiure would be appropriate.

To suggest that the money has "gone" is to suggest some duplicity by the Club.  There is no evidence for that .  Apart from anything else, Mumby was careful not to put a figure on the transfer budget.

This thread is mischievous by asking a conspiracy type question without any justification and I question Arthur''s motives.

[/quote]

You said you question my motives well read my origanal thread. Im asking the people who bandied out theses figure only a few weeks ago in defence of the board to explain to me where the money is. Yes it is a little mischievous but when myself and certain others dear suggest that we have no money as its been squandered on poor buisness dealings over a period of time, we are shot down and called binners,trouble makers ect ect. I for one dont believe we have anywhere near the amount that was mentioned in my first thread and PG has had to wheel and deal inthe transfer market.

May I suggest we look behind the sofa or in another pair of jeans? Thats where my ''lost'' money usually ends up.

As has been said, we don''t know the extent of the club''s finances and just how much the club''s budget (allowing for transfer fees, salaries, signing on and agent fees) actually is. Nor are we likely to. It would be very foolish of the club to publicise the amount of cash we had to spend. All selling clubs and agents would simply raise their prices. Some of our signings are unknown quantities but lets reserve judgement until the seaon''s underway. Lets face it, there are no guarantees that a player will be a success these days anyway with the exception of truly world-class players. We just have to trust in the management team and hope that they have done their scouting well and managed to bring in the best players they can who a) we can afford and b) want to play for us

Anyway more importantly, has anyone seen my car keys?

People need to realise that our boards ambition is far outstripped by the fans. The Premiership year came as a pleasant surprise for those crones who oohhed and ahhed whenever Thierry or another star turned up and delivered some skill, we gave far too much repect to teams that year and that is the reason we are where we are.

The reason we don''t make ''big name'' signings is often cited as the geographical location of ''little sleepy Norwich'' but I find it hard to see how a player, unless he is a really big name, cannot fail to be impressed with Norwich, as a club and a city. If this is the case why have we had Huckerby here for so long? Why did Dion opt for another year? There cant be many nicer areas for a person to move to in this isle?!

We need someone on the board who has a bit of balls and nouse, who wants to get deals pushed through, the amount of time Sharp had was rediculous and the Dave the Striker deal is dragging its heels. I seriously believe we have the manager with the right attitude and hunger, but fear the boards failure to match it could lead to another ''Martin O''Neill''. I long for Norwich to grow into the club it really should be for this area!

ON THE BALL CITY!!   

[quote user="Rob Speck"]

People need to realise that our boards ambition is far outstripped by the fans. The Premiership year came as a pleasant surprise for those crones who oohhed and ahhed whenever Thierry or another star turned up and delivered some skill, we gave far too much repect to teams that year and that is the reason we are where we are.

The reason we don''t make ''big name'' signings is often cited as the geographical location of ''little sleepy Norwich'' but I find it hard to see how a player, unless he is a really big name, cannot fail to be impressed with Norwich, as a club and a city. If this is the case why have we had Huckerby here for so long? Why did Dion opt for another year? There cant be many nicer areas for a person to move to in this isle?!

We need someone on the board who has a bit of balls and nouse, who wants to get deals pushed through, the amount of time Sharp had was rediculous and the Dave the Striker deal is dragging its heels. I seriously believe we have the manager with the right attitude and hunger, but fear the boards failure to match it could lead to another ''Martin O''Neill''. I long for Norwich to grow into the club it really should be for this area!

ON THE BALL CITY!!   

[/quote]

Couldnt agree more, The board seriously lacks the balls to get things done. During our last prem season we gave the impression we were one happy awe struck family just happy to have the likes of Sir Alex grace our little friendly stadium. I bet you all my money that most of the managers walked away from the Carrow road experiance wishing they could do it every week!

Well we have a £7,000,000 shortfall this year do you not agree this money needs to be found from somewhere? if you''ve got any better ideas of where to get hold of this kinda cash send yours answers on a postcard to delia smith, carrow road............

Arthur''s topic title - "Don''t be fooled by the frees" inspired me to adapt a pithy little expression. Instead of "You can''t see the wood for the trees," how about? "You can see the wood in the frees".

[quote]Couldnt agree more, The board seriously lacks the balls to get things

done. During our last prem season we gave the impression we were one

happy awe struck family just happy to have the likes of Sir Alex grace

our little friendly stadium. I bet you all my money that most of the

managers walked away from the Carrow road experiance wishing they could

do it every week![/quote]Nothing there but hyperbole and rhethoric.  I''m fairly certain that if any of the players who were here at the time read that, they''d feel that their integrity as professionals was being questioned.And didn''t we beat Man Utd 2-0 at home, making them look pretty ordinary in the process ?

Re: Don''t be fooled by the frees-where''s the money gone?

Maybe it''s been donated to a most demanding and worthwhile charity:

"The ''off the field interests and future projects benevolent fund''?"

Personally, I think they''ve just wasted it on pop an'' sweets on the young un''s at the club. And beer, fags, birds an'' bettin'' for the more mature members......disgraceful!

It''ll all come out in the Sunday Tabloids!

Rob Speck! I like your post and would like to say I agree with most of the content, and the way you view our beautiful county.  I am quite old and have travelled quite widely in this country and in the 2nd World war, and have noticed how we are regarded as country cousins by the uninitiated, " a bit slow on the uptake, a little parochial minded and clannish".  Hucks is in the minority, for I believe he is at peace with himself and in his mind, many of the younger players are looking for whats out there to stimulate their tiny blinkered minds in the company of bright lights and celebrity occasions with sleaze and sodomy. It is only when they reach mental maturity that they can appreciate what is really on offer here in this beautiful flat county of ours which all of us natives love, It could be described as fine art. 

When a Norfolk man becomes your friend and neighbour, he will be just that for life, almost like in marriage "in sickness and in health" despite the differences.  Yes! in the forces it was special if you had a Norfolk man for a buddy.  It is that; that we as a board have to sell, but it is precious and one has to have class to recognise it''s quality which is ageless, and it''s here in it''s place in Norfolk, but only if they have the ability to recognise it as what they really need. OTBC.

I must admit I cringed every time Delia went on Match of the Day and reinforced the little club having a premier league adventure image. One question that intrigues me is whether the people running the club have the same drive and desires as they did to start? I don''t know the answer and I''m not trying to make mischief but it does seem a valid question. They came in and delivered promotion and have since witnessed a steady decline in fortunes. Obviously everyone at the club wants success but over time do they get resigned to the fact that we are a club of a certain size and tailor their ambitions to suit?

It''s often siad that managers have a shelf-life. The point where they can''t take the club any further. Witness Alan Curbishley''s long tenure at Charlton coming to an end. Does the same apply to Chief Execs to?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Couldnt agree more, The board seriously lacks the balls to get things done. During our last prem season we gave the impression we were one happy awe struck family just happy to have the likes of Sir Alex grace our little friendly stadium. I bet you all my money that most of the managers walked away from the Carrow road experiance wishing they could do it every week![/quote]

Nothing there but hyperbole and rhethoric.  I''m fairly certain that if any of the players who were here at the time read that, they''d feel that their integrity as professionals was being questioned.

And didn''t we beat Man Utd 2-0 at home, making them look pretty ordinary in the process ?
[/quote]

And the paying supporter doesnt have the right to feel aggrieved after walking away from Craven Cottage at the end of the season? Im not questioning any of the players during that season, the manager and the board signed them and ultimatly they were not good enough. Im not just refering to on field activities, i was refering to the whole day in Norwich experience. I dont want people coming here with that kind of mentality,id rather the clubs came here win lose or draw and then cant wait to get the hell out of CR, i want the place to be a cauldron of passion and make other clubs feel worried [not in an aggresive manner] about coming here.

As for the Man utd result, in my opinion it somes up the poor season we had when all we can remember about it was that one result as good as it was.

Firstly this whole debate was for peoples opininions not for the likes of you to get personal.

[/quote]

But that''s the problem Arthur. When people like you, and Mr Oliver before you, come on here full of their own self importance it''s difficult to resist having a couple of digs.

When your first act is to introduce yourself as the new leader of an anti-board group and you then invite questions from people that you have no intention of answering then you''re asking for it.

What I said about your business was a little joke, if you find that too ''personal'' then I suggest you stop taking yourself so seriously. Or alternatively stop posting ''personal'' information.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Couldnt agree more, The board seriously lacks the balls to get things done. During our last prem season we gave the impression we were one happy awe struck family just happy to have the likes of Sir Alex grace our little friendly stadium. I bet you all my money that most of the managers walked away from the Carrow road experiance wishing they could do it every week![/quote]

Nothing there but hyperbole and rhethoric.  I''m fairly certain that if any of the players who were here at the time read that, they''d feel that their integrity as professionals was being questioned.

And didn''t we beat Man Utd 2-0 at home, making them look pretty ordinary in the process ?
[/quote]

Im not questioning the professionalism of the players. Im questioning the mentality of the people in charge of our club. Yes we did have successes. Beating Man U was a fantastic day, but yet again in was tinged with a ''Roy of the Rovers'' style atmosphere... Lets face it, that result did not reflect our season. If it did we would still be there, perhaps even Champions! All Im saying is that if the people in charge of the club have this attitude then where does our vision, or ambition, come from? The manager goes a long way but if he is not backed then he will soon find a club who does match his own goals. It has happened before and it will happen no doubt again. And who pays the price of dashed dreams... the fans.

[quote]All Im saying is that if the people in charge of the club have this attitude[/quote]How can you prove that they do have this attitude, with the exception of an often misquoted and leading question from a Match of the Day interview ?  It seems to me that you can''t, it''s intangible, just a feeling that you have about them.Looks like we''re back to "Worthy Out Square One" as far as debating the board in this thread.  Lots of talk about passion, commitment and ambition, but nothing constructive.  Emotion will only carry you so far, it doesn''t pay the bills.  Emotional blackmail serves no-one.  We all want success, but it''s not owed to us, as the fans of another 15 clubs who feel they should be in the top flight but aren''t will testify.  I believe that the people in charge of the club are trying to acheive that success, and have learnt from a few mistakes over the past few years.

"beyond our finance, we must continue to punch above our weight,both on and off the field,as i believe we have done for the last four seasons. If our destiny were tied solely to current finance, we would settle somewhere in the middle of the Championship". (quote:R.Munby P2 2005 annual report).

This quote is after the club received £20million in tv revenue from the Prem season and were guaranteed £14.2million more in parachute payments, and yet it seems our esteemed chairman saw our rightful place as mid-table in the Championship alongside clubs such as Burnley,Preston and Ipswich who had smaller crowds and no Prem cash bonanza.

"The cost to the club of player wages,agents fees,signing-on fees,image rights contracts and many other ancillary costs means that any investment in any promising player represents a huge financial outlay and, therefore,a huge risk". (quote: N.Doncaster P4 2005 annual report).

I think this attitude explains why the club have been quite happy to offload the clubs best players for millions but absolutely loathe to spend good money on quality replacements. It is too much of a risk. Of course i don`t for a moment think it has entered their little heads that it is just as much of a risk trying to maintain a competitive football team by scrabbling about at the bottom of the transfer barrel, filling your club with cheap has-beens and never-were`s, allowing gaps in the squad to remain unfilled for months on end, watching the squad get so weak that it is virtually crippled by 3 or 4 injuries-all this resulting in an inevitable decline on the pitch and unrest and rancour off it. And yet it is wrong for "negative" supporters to demand a change in approach which might reverse the decline of the last three years??

[quote user="blahblahblah"]
I believe that the people in charge of the club are trying to acheive that success, and have learnt from a few mistakes over the past few years.
[/quote]

Isn''t this just an "intangible feeling that you have about them"??

[quote user="blahblahblah"] I believe that the people in charge of the club are trying to acheive that success, and have learnt from a few mistakes over the past few years.
[/quote]

Isn''t this just an "intangible, feeling that YOU have about them"??