Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Why the Username?

Mine is also from a while back, named after one of my son''s nicknames when he was playing football.  He was a very good player and was used in different positions, goal, striker, midfield, whatever....he might have played for NCFC if his knee had held out.....sob..... His coach then called him GazzatheGreat after Paul Gascoigne.....he''s never used that nickname since those days and is something completely different now!

I first used this name on several football sites as a defence against various people giving female football fans a bad time.  Hasn''t really happened on this site though, we are far superior on here.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="Dicky"][quote user="Hissing Sid"]

Great thread.

In the late 70''s/early 80''s, a song about a duck called Captain Beaky was released (anyone remember it?).

"The bravest creatures in the land

Are Captain Beaky and his band"!!!!

Anyway his enemy was a snake called Hissing Sid.

I sit in the Snakepit, seemed logical to put the two together.

[/quote]

Timid toad, reckless rat, artful owl and batty bat....  apparently.

[/quote]

They march through the woodland singing songs,

That tell how they have righted wrongs.

Once Hissing Sid an evil snake,

Kept the woodland folk awake,

With fear and trembling in the night,

In case he gave someone a bite.......

Naw.  Don''t remember that one!!

[/quote]

Nice one guys. (Wouldn''t class myself as evil though!!)

Mine used to be Templeton, which is an old nickname from my early days in the RAF, but this nearly always got shortened to Temp on here.  When Depeche Mode released John the Revelator I decided to team the two together.  I still like it as a user name as it goes.

Salahuddin is the middle name I took when I became a Muslim, it makes it easier when I am visiting Islamic countries, especially Makkah in Saudi Arabia, where only Muslims are allowed to visit.

it''s just a short version of my name, boring I know, I guess at the time I couldn''t be botherd to think up anything wity or intelligent

Nothing to do with West Ham.

From Wikipedia:

A nickname for an exceptional curveball. The term is derived from the similarity between a sharp 12-to-6 downward breaking curve and the manner in which the Yellowhammer bird dives towards its insect prey. Slow curves or curves with progressive, arcing breaks would not be identified by this term. Active MLB pitchers who have been known to throw curves of Yellow Hammer quality include David Wells, Ben Sheets, Kerry Wood, Tom Gordon, John Lackey, and Barry Zito. Former pitchers who were known to possess this pitch include Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryan, Dwight Gooden, Bert Blyleven, and Rick Ankiel (retired from pitching but still active as a minor-league outfielder).

Also:

Under its local name "Yellowhammer", the Yellow-shafted Flicker is the state bird of Alabama. The scientific name of the Yellow-shafted Flicker, Colaptes auratus, literally means ''yellow pecker''.....

Firstly, a sincere thanks to all who have replied.

There are certainly some unsual ones and some very interesting stories.

Very difficult to pick any out but.....

Sons of boadicea - would never have guessed that

Mr Carrow - didn''t know there was a steward on here

Stevo - like it, two fat ladies

Ken Aries - Classic

2 sheds - great story

Bruces Flesh Coloured Strada - didn''t know that

Hissing sid, breaker2, Nimchimpskee, Zippers left foot, stand out for me.

Quite a few fantasy fans on here and a badger that can type.

P.S. thank you to those who took the time to reply, who have been registered for a while but don''t post very often, (you know who you are).

[:D]

When I joined, I lacked the message board experience and imagination to go for anything but the obvious though I toyed with ideas around Martin Peters.  I did also hope that I might hear from other Cambridge based posters with a view to sharing experiences and even travel.  That never happened.  Perhaps i should have been more excirting or controversial!!!!!   LOL

Simple really hardly anyone calls me Ray its always arrdee my initials, even my wife calls me arrdee well amongst other things .[:)].arrdee.

[quote user="arrdee"]Simple really hardly anyone calls me Ray its always arrdee my initials, even my wife calls me arrdee well amongst other things .[:)].arrdee.[/quote]

Welcome back arrdee [ap]

Mine came from a nickname that you, amongst others, gave our previous manager [;)]

Moved from Norwich over twenty years ago because of work. I live a few miles from the scummers cow-pat-covered-over-priced-decaying-council-owned-soon-to-be-empty-twat-infested-dump. I can never ever envisage supporting any other team. It is quite simply ''in the blood''.