Sign in to follow this  
Dr Terrible

Which striker will we sign?

Nardeillo turns us down for qpr.

Sharp/Eastwood/Cureton has gone cold. Despite putting in bids for eastwood and sharp over a week ago, it seems sharp does not want to come and we wont increase eastwood bid-trying to get one of the highly sort after players of the summer on the cheap is not going to happen.

Tibor Tiza has died down yet Gunny knows about him-why no bid?

Who will we sign now?

My bet is another player on a free or on the cheap. But who is there?

P.s. Earnshaw will leave once a replacement is signed-my opinion.

Who do you think we will sign and why? Not just strikers players in general.

personally i dont think we will spend more than 1m on a player this summer so its back to bargains but i havent seen us linked to anyone.

Please dont be tempted to re-sign thorne in desperation-the idea of him and brown up front would put me off football. 

Don''t worry Wayne, I''d say the likelihood of Peter Thorne coming back to the club is slim. [;)]

Personally, there seems to be a bit of talk in Oldham linking us with a move for Chris Porter, with some mentioning Ryan Jarvis going in the opposite direction.

Not sure about a swap deal going ahead, but with the noises on their message boards I get a feeling this could be a goer and we may here something soon.

I think Jamie is still an option. Apparently Eastwood has been for a look around Watford, but I wouldn''t take silence as meaning nothing is happening. I expect it''s probably the opposite. People talk when they want to force an issue.

I think Billy Sharp is looking a remote possibility now, and as for Earnie, I expect him to go if we secure a £Ms striker. If we don''t, then I''m not sure.

[quote user="mbncfc"]

Don''t worry Wayne, I''d say the likelihood of Peter Thorne coming back to the club is slim. [;)]

Personally, there seems to be a bit of talk in Oldham linking us with a move for Chris Porter, with some mentioning Ryan Jarvis going in the opposite direction.

Not sure about a swap deal going ahead, but with the noises on their message boards I get a feeling this could be a goer and we may here something soon.

I think Jamie is still an option. Apparently Eastwood has been for a look around Watford, but I wouldn''t take silence as meaning nothing is happening. I expect it''s probably the opposite. People talk when they want to force an issue.

I think Billy Sharp is looking a remote possibility now, and as for Earnie, I expect him to go if we secure a £Ms striker. If we don''t, then I''m not sure.

[/quote]

Really mbncfc???  Where did you hear this???

That would be fantastic news for me... maybe Granty has been listening to me for all these months after all???

Chris Porter or Riordan would be the best available strikers for the money that we have to spend and how they would fit in to and benefit the current team/playing style.

One of the above to play alongside Earnie with Cureton in reserve is what we should be doing imo.... Making sure that we also get Eastwood in if Earnie is on his way out also!!!

How much do they want for Porter?  Any Idea???

Comparisons from interest North of the Border of Porter being similar in style to Chris Killen and even Big Dunc...

Have said for months and months that this is the boy we should be going for... he won''t cost an arm and a leg either!!!

[quote user="mbncfc"]

I think Billy Sharp is looking a remote possibility now, [/quote]

whoops! lol!

jas :)

[quote user="mbncfc"]

[/quote]

Apparently Porter is also out of contract at the end of the summer, as as he''s 23 Oldham would either try to get a small fee for him so it would have to go to tribunal.

And a further point. Oldham has said last week they would stop all incoming transfers until they were sure they would get some money for the release/sale of Porter.

Today they announced the signing of a midfielder from Yeovil.

So, Porter on the move somewhere. Here? PG is reportedly already aware of the player.

Of course, I might be wrong [:D]

I''m pretty sure I''ve read that Oldham were looking for a million for him Smudger, but I certainly think we could get him cheaper than that.  1.6 mil for Cureton and Porter sounds like good business to me!

Ah sorry, my mistake; it was in a thread talking about /selling him on/ for a mil having got him via tribunal.

[quote user="Mr_Chimp"]Ah sorry, my mistake; it was in a thread talking about /selling him on/ for a mil having got him via tribunal.

[/quote]

You''re not far off though. Apparently Dundee have been after him and offered £700k to get his signature which they turned down. However, a transfer in England would command some compo.

And Jas, lol indeed. [:P]

I hope we get Cureton in and, if Earnie is staying, Porter sounds like a good bet to play alongside him. Other than that and (I hope) Marshall, I would like to see a solid central defender and playmaking centre midfielder.

[quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="mbncfc"]

I think Billy Sharp is looking a remote possibility now, [/quote]

whoops! lol!

[/quote]

or not http://carrowroad.net/news.php?item.224.1

[/quote]

Good God, Cobain18, it''s obvious that Sharp will end up at his favourite club.

And you dared to suggest that I get real within this thread > http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/963069/ShowPost.aspx

Ditto, sunshine - and cease clutching at straws.

[quote user="mbncfc"]

[quote user="Mr_Chimp"]Ah sorry, my mistake; it was in a thread talking about /selling him on/ for a mil having got him via tribunal.

[/quote]

You''re not far off though. Apparently Dundee have been after him and offered £700k to get his signature which they turned down. However, a transfer in England would command some compo.

[/quote]

It was Dundee Utd who tried to get Porter on a FREE but the player himself turned them down...

Was the £700k just a signing on fee for Porter then?  Because he is out of contract and available on FREE to any Non-English Club.

Where did you find this news that Norwich have ben showing an interest in him though?

The only thing that I can find is that Plymouth are prepared to go in for him again after having a bid of £650k for him turned down in the January transfer window. 

To be honest I won''t be shedding any tears if he chooses elsewhere - I don''t want to sound arrogant but perhaps Scunthorpe have shown a certain naivety in their transfer dealings when it comes to big amounts?  As far as the situation seems to be, we are the ONLY club to have had a bid accepted - yet the Blades come out with a (suspciously) vague statement declaring the signing and, hours later, we''re told by the Irons chairman that no bid has been placed?  Either scandalous tapping up from Sheffield Utd or an incompetent Scunny backroom seems to be to blame here!  Let''s hope Grant has moved on, this sorry saga looks like it''s going to drag it''s heels for a while yet.

wish i could believe it Cobain.. it smacks of "Dean ashton is injured.. and i have the proof" from 2 seasons a go....

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

wish i could believe it Cobain.. it smacks of "Dean ashton is injured.. and i have the proof" from 2 seasons a go....

[/quote]

I take it you refer to the famous hes injured, we havent had any bids-then find out west ham insisted he wasnt cup tied.

Classic Norwich you couldnt make it up. And they wonder why we dont believe them all the time?

Now Sharp looks sheffield bound I see us upping our offer for eastwood and possibly going for cureton as well.  The main reason we haven''t upped our offer for eastwood is because sharp was the no 1 target in my opinion.  Also it seems Earnshaw will be off to Charlton especially now they are armed with Bent cash. 

Porter would be good. Seems to have been something on Radio Norfolk regarding a few being agreed for Eastwood - if he comes you have to feel that Earnie may be off. In that case I would think Cureton may arrive too.

Other striker options would possibly include Riordan from Celtic, Jerome or Vine at Brum, Izale McCleod or some Eastern European we have never heard of!

Definitely need a central midfielder - Danny Murphy would be ideal ( but perhaps not that likely!!). If not someone like Dean Marney, Graham Kavanagh or Darren Carter at WBA.

We still seem to want another keeper - the Marshall signing is turning into a longer running saga than Corrie!! If not him then expect an Alexander or Coyne signing.

Finally and possibly most important, we need to sign a commanding centre half. Trouble is, I can''t really think of many!! Perhaps Baptiste at Mansfield but he is inexperienced. Would like to see try and get one of the hundreds of centre halves currently on West Ham''s books - Davenport, Collins or Gabbidon would do fine!

What about David Healy from Leeds, with Hughes going on the opposite direction??? This one has gone quiret for a while. Could it happen????

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="mbncfc"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It was Dundee Utd who tried to get Porter on a FREE but the player himself turned them down...

Was the £700k just a signing on fee for Porter then?  Because he is out of contract and available on FREE to any Non-English Club.

Where did you find this news that Norwich have ben showing an interest in him though?

The only thing that I can find is that Plymouth are prepared to go in for him again after having a bid of £650k for him turned down in the January transfer window. 

[/quote]

I would imagine Dundee Utd made the offer to get the deal sorted before his contract runs out, and to scupper a deal in England.

As for the Oldham links, this is the best I have:

http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=939&p=16&style=2&forumId=3196&action=1&replytoid=528885839

Who knows? Not me, obviously.