Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Should we have been told about "get get out clause"

That is the question do the fans deserve to know about these things.  For the club to have a £3.5 million get out clause on earnshaw''s head seems like he was almost sure to be sold.  Could the board of said there is a very good chance Earnshaw would be sold because there is a clause.  I know it was specualted about, but never confirmed.  The fact is we believed that we could expect 5-6 million for him when we never were going get that.  I am not suggesting the board should say how much the clause is, but just confirm he has one.  Afterall I am sure Earnshaw''s agent contacted every big club to let them know about the clause as soon as the season was over.  Honestly I think we should have been told something more.

Its a difficult question isn''t it? 

On the one hand I would have liked to know that there was a clause so that it wasn''t a shock.

On the other saying there was a clause would be firing the starting gun

for people to start putting in low bids to test the clause.

I can see why the club wanted to keep this clause quiet, but I feel

that with his agent likely to tell all and sundry about the clause it

would have been sensible for the club to admit that one existed. 

Alternatively the could the club have included a non-disclosure clause

within it which would invalidate it if the club could show the agent

had been blabing.

One thing that concerns me is that the deal was done in one day - we

got the bid yesterday and were forced to accept it immediately. 

Earnshaw had negotiated wages etc and passed a medical within 24

hrs. 

Were Derby in contact with him before putting in an offer?  Isn''t

this tapping up?  We needed Scunthorpe''s permission to talk to

Sharp - have Derby been talking to earnshaw (or his agent) without our

knowledge?  Does talking to/negotiating with an agent count as

tapping up?

Absolutely not... everyone thinks we have a god given right to know everything about the internal workings of the club. Why advertise the fact that our best players can go if a certain price is met, if its going to happen, then at least let the clubs do some work and find out.

People accuse the board of lying or such like... if every large, medium or small business let people know all of thier secrets, they would be in dire straights.

If the board divolge deals, contract clauses etc, we might be happy, but for one, the players themselves wont... its like telling everyone here I  work for 26k a year in London and have a slight fobia of dead animals.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]great idea tell every club in the land they can buy our star player for a bargain basement price[/quote]

so how did Derby know about it then! Every potential buying club knew about the clause.

I can''t recall seeing on the season ticket renewal forms though.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]great idea tell every club in the land they can buy our star player for a bargain basement price[/quote]

Quite.  I''m pretty sure that you never hear about these things until they are ''invoked''.

It would be interesting if some on here ever got into a position of power, because of course every decision they made would be perfect.

I suspect the lovely agent of Earnshaw decided to stab us in the back after we had rescued his client from reserve team football under Robson at WBA, bought him to Carrow Rd, made him a star again, reignited his international career etc etc.  Agents are scum!!!

Why not???

Earnie and his agent were obviously telling them anyhow!!!!

oh and those that laughed at myself and WIZ when we first reported that The Sun had claimed that Derby were going to put a bid in are laughing on the other sides of their faces now aren''t they???

[quote user="Jim Kent"]That is the question do the fans deserve to know about these things.  For the club to have a £3.5 million get out clause on earnshaw''s head seems like he was almost sure to be sold.  Could the board of said there is a very good chance Earnshaw would be sold because there is a clause.  I know it was specualted about, but never confirmed.  The fact is we believed that we could expect 5-6 million for him when we never were going get that.  I am not suggesting the board should say how much the clause is, but just confirm he has one.  Afterall I am sure Earnshaw''s agent contacted every big club to let them know about the clause as soon as the season was over.  Honestly I think we should have been told something more.[/quote]

Yet again the board have lied to us by telling us they would only sell for silly money when they knew this clause was in place.Why did they not try to renegotiate his contract after he signed to get rid of the clause? 

I''m not sure I fully understand this get out clause...

As far as I can tell it means that if only one Premiership club comes in for Earnie, and they offer a certain amount he can go.

But if this is the case why didn''t we tell all Premiership clubs he was up for sale and start a bidding war? The deal was done in 1 day! Look at the Sharp saga - his price, and interest in him has surely increased over the last few weeks. Why didn''t Earny and his agent want to do this as well as NCFC - he could go to a "bigger" club, and the agent get a higher percentage. Jumping ship at the first offer seems strange all round...

Well Derby obviously knew about it.

Maybe if other clubs had known there might have been a bit of competition for his signature? Higher price for us maybe? My guess is that Derby have made him a very generous personal deal that others were unlikely to match and so it was in Earnies best personal interests to sign for the bare minimum at the earliest opportunity.

Sell something on ebay, if it has a reserve that''s all you''ll get if there''s only one bidder, a bit of competition soon bumps the price up. Earnies £3.5m was a reserve price, maybe the club should have done more to let other clubs know he was for sale?

I wonder how many Prem managers are wincing today when they find a proven goalscorer like Earnie has just changed clubs for £3.5 million?

[quote user="Jim Kent"]That is the question do the fans deserve to know about these things.  For the club to have a £3.5 million get out clause on earnshaw''s head seems like he was almost sure to be sold.  Could the board of said there is a very good chance Earnshaw would be sold because there is a clause.  I know it was specualted about, but never confirmed.  The fact is we believed that we could expect 5-6 million for him when we never were going get that.  I am not suggesting the board should say how much the clause is, but just confirm he has one.  Afterall I am sure Earnshaw''s agent contacted every big club to let them know about the clause as soon as the season was over.  Honestly I think we should have been told something more.[/quote]Players contracts are pretty much confidential, there''s no way the club could release that kind of info on Earnshaw. I suspect he and his agent demanded the clause and I doubt there was much the club could do.

Honestly don''t think that letting other clubs do battle with derby for his signature would have got us more money, thought, we could have had a percentage sell on fee put in there or some players exchanged if it worked out good on both accounts. If clubs know they can buy him for £3.5 million, and that we HAVE to accept a bid of that, the WHY THE HELL would they bid any more, it''s not as if, say pompey can bid £4m and we can turn to derby and tell them to up their bid too. Pity we couldn''t have got rid of him in january for more, but he got injured, just as the likes of pompey and blackburn were being linked.

my understanding is that every club could have bid 3.5 million and all offers would have been accepted at that price and earnshaw could then decide who to join. However i may be wrong so feel free to correct me