Sign in to follow this  
Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

Questions, Questions, Questions

I have a few questions, in no particular order of importance:

1. What happened about the multiple threads issue?, we have had numerous threads about the same thing (Sack the board, Earnshaw leaving etc),  and now we have two threads about the possible signing of a Czech striker......aarrgghh!!

2. Glad we have signed Cureton, but all of a sudden it is OK to sign a 31 year old for a fee of circa £800k, yet last season the general opinion appeared to be that £1M was to much for a 31 year old striker (Steve Howard, now playing in the Prem - Who I would not have minded as a signing), how come?, and please try to keep emotions out of it. 

3.   Lots of positive vibes coming out of CR and on this board, I am hopeful we will spend the money we have to strenghten the team and mount a serious tilt at getting promoted, but what if the club does not back up its words with actions, how will you feel then?, this is aimed at the more positive among you[:D]

4. Do you think we wil have enough money left over to buy me a shiny new yellow plastic seat?[:D][:D][:D]

On multiple threads - if I left the message board for what seemed like 10 minutes yesterday evening, I came back to masses of new posts, which is great - but a lot of them said the same thing because they were all awaiting moderation. So I tend to bung them all up - I suppose I could pick the first and delete the others? Although that seems a bit unfair when people are trying to be helpful and pass on their new info.

Celia

Fair questions.

1.  No idea, Celia seems to have answered it - just bung em up Celia!

2. I do not believe for a minute we have paid a straight 800k for Cureton.  Not my first choice, but it is impossible to argue against the facts that he was the top scorer last season, and WANTS to play for Norwich.

3.  As long as we strengthen and spend 2-3 million  pre-season I think that shows ambition to build a squad without going bloody mental finaicially as some of the idiots on here are urging.  If we also have cash for January, then all is good.  If we spend 1-2 million pre season and nothing else, then that will  be enough to send me to the barricades (if struggling in league).  We should have, and should spend around 3-5 million this year, and anything less without a top six finish is an issue.

4. Does it have to be shiny?  Would you not prefer leather?  Perhap even a latex ''kinky seat'' ?

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

I have a few questions, in no particular order of importance:

1. What happened about the multiple threads issue?, we have had numerous threads about the same thing (Sack the board, Earnshaw leaving etc),  and now we have two threads about the possible signing of a Czech striker......aarrgghh!!

2. Glad we have signed Cureton, but all of a sudden it is OK to sign a 31 year old for a fee of circa £800k, yet last season the general opinion appeared to be that £1M was to much for a 31 year old striker (Steve Howard, now playing in the Prem - Who I would not have minded as a signing), how come?, and please try to keep emotions out of it. 

3.   Lots of positive vibes coming out of CR and on this board, I am hopeful we will spend the money we have to strenghten the team and mount a serious tilt at getting promoted, but what if the club does not back up its words with actions, how will you feel then?, this is aimed at the more positive among you[:D]

4. Do you think we wil have enough money left over to buy me a shiny new yellow plastic seat?[:D][:D][:D]

[/quote]

Celia - I would imagine things are going a bit mental at the moment, I kind of thought that part of the moderation process was to check for multiple threads, but agin I assume the sheer volume of posts makes it an impossible task. Thanks for replying and thanks for all your hard work. Dont suppose Archant can help me in my plastic seat campaign......[:D]

With major headline events it might be worth having a single ''official'' thread stuck to the top of the page. That way everyone can vent their spleen, and not worry about starting multiple threads on the same issue. eg, ''Earnshaw signs for Derby'', ''Marshall close to signing'', ''Sack the board (reprise)'' and so on.Even a single ''transfer speculation'' thread would save on a lot of the clutter. But it''s only an idea.

Just read on Dodgey Rumours that Grant has made a surprise bid for "Shiny Yellow Plastic Seat"

Shiney''s agent says his clients sparkle will light up Carrow Road on a dark Tuesday night.

Doomcaster said that "this major signing will probably use up most of the Earnshaw money, but at least SOB will be happy".

With respect to the Cureton/Howard thing, as far as I am concerned - I personally would prefer Cureton to Howard in his type of play, added to this he has just had a terrific season during which he became our division''s top striker and he actually gives a sh*t about our club which I think may have a positive effect on the attitude of the team as a whole. I agree they''re not particularly quantitative reasons but that is why I would prefer Cureton to Howard.

In answer to your 3rd question, if the money that has been spoken of ''vanishes'' and is not spent (in large part) on strengthening our squad for the new season then I can assure you that I shall be as angry as a lot of the so-called ''negative'' posters on here.    

1) Celia''s on the case.

2) Interesting point, which I hadn''t considered. Possibly a sign of the general desperation of fans to see new players come in. Generally speaking, Cureton''s goalscoring record at Championship level is better. Can''t help feeling that he needs a big striker to play-off as well though. Hucks and Cureton are unlikely to be prolific in the air!

3) In terms of using the Earnshaw money, I''m happy to back Grant''s judgement pre-season and let him live or die by the consequences. If we struggle before Xmas then January represents his last chance, but if his signings do gel, he may not need to spend millions to achieve the confidence and success we need. If we spend nothing between now and February and we are out of the play-off situation then I will change my tune, but Grant needs time and support.

4) Boadicea sat on wood. If it''s good enough for her...!!!

[quote user="Web Team - Celia Sutton"]

On multiple threads - if I left the message board for what seemed like 10 minutes yesterday evening, I came back to masses of new posts, which is great - but a lot of them said the same thing because they were all awaiting moderation. So I tend to bung them all up - I suppose I could pick the first and delete the others? Although that seems a bit unfair when people are trying to be helpful and pass on their new info.

Celia

[/quote]

Celia, can you not insert posts into a thread? So if there is a thread on this David bloke, and then there is a new post opened just to add something to transfer info, can you not insert the post in this new propsed thread into the old one?

The Cureton thing is interesting. The official rumoured cost according to the bbc-i football headlines-news list is that he cost around £400k.

Lets say both figures are right in that we have paid out £400k initially with another £400k on appearences, goals and promotion etc. If this is the case then it is an incredibly good deal. If we get promoted etc then £400k is nothing.

Somehow I would not think we would pay £50k over the price their chairman publicly stated was a reasonable price.

However I think that when you look at Howard you have to be honest and say that he was expencive when you consider that he is a slightly younger version of Horsefield with perhaps a little more technical ability. Not a given goal getter but more of a Iwan without tallent.

Cureton has at least scored goals in most seasons and as someone has said is a player in a rich vein of form - those sorts of players can be priceless. Henry was cut price for example but after a season of injury and poor form, had he scored 20+ goals I think you would be looking at another £4million on his head.

I like our striking options at the moment. It looks like we have the experienced players with their younger understuddies. Cureton could be argued to be a younger wiser Martin and then you have Dublin who will guide all of them although will undoubtedly help the likes of Brown and the Czech guy should he arrive not to mention Jarvis.

Now I think it is time for the defence and central midfield to get a revamp. I am happy with Chadwick or Croft down the right and Huckerby or Eagle down the left. Lappin can cover the left if needed and Otsemobor can cover the right.

Its beggining to look like a very width minded team and perhaps that is why we seem to be rumoured with target men now. One more ball winner in the middle of the park will aid Etuhu and Fotheringham and give Safri the competition and chance to rest when he needs to.

Central defence is a nightmare. Get Baptiste and sort it out. Marshall is an obvious plus but we need a centreback that will help him in crisis moments.

Fair enough Celia,It is possible on other forums though, so I was just suggesting it.

It is kind of you to give up your sunday''s for a load of blokes (and some girls) to ramble on and argue at each other over stop and pointless things.Well, i guess it beats working in a pub...

Thank you for that, AJ - but I will take some time off - there are four on the web team who share weekend and night working on shifts - although Vince and Pete sometimes moderate far longer then they should!

Anyway - I took time off yesterday evening to watch Saints on TV (the real Saints, not Southampton) beat Huddersfield and go top of the Super League, so I''m fairly happy...

Celia

SOB. 2 things spring to mind.

Get yourself a tin of varnish, or

There''s a bloke round the corner from me with an old sports car that''s a pain in the ears at nights. It has Recaro seats though. They''re yellow too. Fancy the drivers one?

[:-*]

OTBC