Sign in to follow this  
james norwich

Earnie - Best ever City Striker?? Have your say

We all knew Earnie (the fastest striker in the East) would leave but i guess we''re a bit shocked about the buy-out clause. Enough of that.... Forget about McDougall/Boyer, Reeves, Fash, Drinkall, Iwan (??), Ashton. I think he''s the best striker we''ve had for 40+ years. Who do you think was the best???

Its a hard question to answer, how do you determine best striker? Earnie could have ben had he played for us in the top flight & scored goals. Since I''ve been going to FCR in 1984/5 the best strikers I have seen are; Kevin Drinkall, Robert Fleck, Chris sutton, Craig Bellamy, Dean Ashton, Robert Earnshaw & Iwan. Iwan wasn''t the best technically but he had green n yellow blood, scored goals & had passion.

So, my favourite players were Iwan & Fleck (my hero at school). The best IMHO was Super Chris closely followed by Cashton.

[quote user="james norwich"]We all knew Earnie (the fastest striker in the East) would leave but i guess we''re a bit shocked about the buy-out clause. Enough of that.... Forget about McDougall/Boyer, Reeves, Fash, Drinkall, Iwan (??), Ashton. I think he''s the best striker we''ve had for 40+ years. Who do you think was the best???[/quote]

McDougall was the best finisher I ever saw in City colours. Never saw him miss when one on one with the keeper.

As a pure centre forward I still think Ron Davies was the best we ever had

In modern times only Iwan Roberts, Chris Sutton, Kevin Drinkell, John Deehan, Justin Fashanu and Ted MacDougall (twice!) have scored 20 or more in a season for us. If Earnie hadn''t got injured I''m sure he would have been on that list too. However, he isn''t and now he never will be and what is more he never will be a ''Canary Great''.

For me the best ever goalscorer for us has to be Ted MacDougal simply because he scored he scored 66 goals in 138 games, 20+ twice, and 28 in one season at the highest level. Supermac''s team play was no better than Earnies though so for our best ever "all round" striker I would have to choose between Deehan and Sutton.(Both were good centrebacks too).

If hucks is classed as a striker rather than a left sided midfielder then i class him as one of the best strikers city has ever had!!!

Total Legend!!!!!

It''s very difficult to compare players from different eras but personally would go with Supermac and John Deehan, although Chris Sutton would have been closer to them had he not left so suddenly!  lol

well eanie socred 17 in like 150 shots soooo, probley no the besti think mabey iwan cos ashton had a load of shots as well

Best in 40 years ? I don''t think so James,

Apart from those you ask to forget I would say each of the following would be in any of my teams on par or ahead of Ernie, good as he is.

Terry Bly, David Cross, Ron Davies, Mick Shannon, Jimmy Bone, Peter Silvester, Peter Osgood, Colin Suggett,  Terry Allcock, Mark Barham, Hugh Curran, John Deehan, Tommy Bryceland  etc ....

In their time they each impressed  me  as being as good if not better than Ernie has been in his couple of seasons with us.

IMHO.

No way. Poor all round game and dreadful first touch. Offers nothing except goals and if he isn''t getting the service looks lost for ideas! Long way short of Bellamy, Ashton, Roberts, Hucks, Sutton etc etc

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]No way. Poor all round game and dreadful first touch. Offers nothing except goals and if he isn''t getting the service looks lost for ideas! Long way short of Bellamy, Ashton, Roberts, Hucks, Sutton etc etc[/quote]

Not to mention his being a midget.

I liked Earnie. But he ain''t fit to lace Flecky''s boots. Class. Passion. Commitment. in the top flight.

[quote user="james norwich"]We all knew Earnie (the fastest striker in the East) would leave but i guess we''re a bit shocked about the buy-out clause. Enough of that.... Forget about McDougall/Boyer, Reeves, Fash, Drinkall, Iwan (??), Ashton. I think he''s the best striker we''ve had for 40+ years. Who do you think was the best???[/quote]No every player meationed in this thread is vastly superior, Earnie is clear a selfish person, with no idea of teamwork, he''s in the game for himself and to top it off an incredibly poor shots per goal record. I bet he''s got a get-out clause at Derby, watch him jump ship yet again if Derby fail in the Premiership, thats if somebody will take him...

According to my sauces.......We actually had Earnie on HP.

To be serious if I may........Earnie actually left on a ''free'' and the £3.5 mill was just loose change that fell out of his pocket on his departure to Derby when he climbed the 6 foot ladder into his hummer.( I don''t think he''ll miss the dosh).......

Sutton, relocated from defender to attack - was the bestest striker I felt during his days here.

Earnie at times was so so greedy and has clearly shown his selfishness  and in his sell on clause, he ego just wouldn''t fit inside Carrow Road.  I think someone has got to add Matti Svenson into this argument, his goals fired us into the prem and very nearly saved us. All credit to him!!

We must also congratulate Chrissi Martin has the potential of being far better than Earnie but he must be carefully nurtured and put on a long long term contract without any silly sell on clauses.

It''s the local players that keep my support going. Shacks and Martin need to be signed up for a long long time!!!!!!!!!!!  

In my lifetime it has to be Sutton.  Not only did he score goals but what he offered in way of team play was what we missed most when he left.  Sorry but Earnie does not even come close to the likes of Sutton, Fleck or even Ashton.

Personally I am disappointed to see Little Earn leave.  Not because of his abilities as a player but because it represents that we have been unsuccessful during his time here and he feels he needs to move. 

Anyone still wondering why we rushed him back into the team at the end of last season?

Sutton was incredible the season before he left, but over the last twenty years I''d have to go with Iwan overall for his prolonged contribution - not only his many goals, but also his fanastic hold-up play and sheer awkwardness for opposition defenders. I think he almost singlehandedly kept us in the 1st division on more than one occasion.

Call me unpoular, but in my 35 years of watching city, Roberts shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as some of the other true greats that have been listed! 

If Sutton had of had as much time here as Roberts, or Channon was 5 years younger and the list could go on, they would have got double the tally that Roberts did.  Yes he done well here, but he was nowhere in the same bracket as many other strikers that have graced our team.  I would probably lump him in with Rosario, another lumper with the finesse of a breeze block! 

Ashton and Earnie were not here long enough to really make their mark, although Ashton is class and will prove it again. 

Macdougal will always have that status with many many weathered supporters of being up there at the all time top list, but again to name one striker would be harsh on many other players who for wrong reasons never got the chance they deserved.  Roberts did and done well, but in my eyes also squandered much more that a true great would have put away!