Sign in to follow this  
Horatio Nelson

Wimbledon creditors meeting on Thursday

What happens if the creditors do not accept the 4p in the £ offer and Wimbledon go into liquidation, are they thrown out of the league ? If this is the case will points in games against them be removed? If so we lose 6 West Brom lose 1. I''ve heard it''s 50/50 whether they will except or not.

What a difference a couple of days make after losing on Saturday and now the worry of losing six points it all seems it will be a nail biting few weeks

This is actually a particularly scary thought - has anyone looked to see what this would do to the chasing pack at all? WBA don''t bother me - the title would be nice, but 2nd will do nicely, thank you very much!

I have absolutely no idea how it would be worked out, but I don''t believe anybody, other than WBA perhaps, would support a solution which penalised those teams who had beaten Wimbledon and help those who had lost to them.

i wouldnt of thought any team will lose points...

itwill be like when Aldershot were dumped out of the 3rd division in 1992... the points teams had accumulated against them stood..

and the pools panel predicted the results of other games... i imagine this would happen again..

jas :)

DD,
I follow your sentiment but can I take you back to the 1985 Milk Cup Victoy, the prize:
our first trip in to Europe....No because of the Liverpool Fans we end up paying
Then there was the season Everton won the league, sent the first team on holiday as a reward and sent a reserve team to Coventry who won and stayed up, at who''s expence? that''s right Ours.
I hope this won''t happen but..well let''s win 8 of the last games and then it''s not a worry.

Sorry to be pessimistic but I remeber the two other incidents all to clearly.

OTBC

Here are the current points won against Wimbledon for current league table

Norwich have played 2 won 6 pts
WBA have played 2 won 1pt
Wigan have played 1 won 3 pts (Wigan at home for remaining game)
Sheffield Utd have played 1 won 3 pts (Sheff at home for remaining game)
West Ham have played 2 won 4 pts
Millwall have played 1 won 3 pts (Wimbledon at home for remaining game)
Sunderland have played 1 won 3 pts (Wimbledon at home for remaining game)
Reading have played 2 won 3 pts
Ipswich have played 1 won 3 pts (Wimbledon at home for remaining game)
Preston have played 1 won 3 pts (Wimbledon at home for remaining game)
Crystal Palace have played 2 won 6 pts
Stoke have played 2 won 6 pts
Cardiff have played 1 won 3 pts (Cardiff at home for remaining game)
Crewe have played 2 won 3 pts
Forest have played 2 won 6 pts
Rotherham have played 2 won 6 pts
Walsall have played 2 won 6 pts
Gillingham have played 1 won 0 pts (Wimbledon at home for remaining game)
Watford have played 2 won 6 pts
Burnley have played 1 won 1 pts (Burnley at home for remaining game)
Derby have played 1 won 3 pts (Wimbledonat home for remaining game)
Bradford have played 1 won 0 pts (Bradford at home for remaining game)

Have just sent this email to the football league - will update you all if I get a reply...

Dear Football League

Can you please clarify for me the rules that apply should a team fail to meet its obligation in terms of playing all its fixtures in a given season.

The concern is that Wimbledon could go out of business before the end of this season and fail to play all their remaining games, affecting Division 1.

Looking at the current points scored against Wimbledon, the application of a deduction, automatic allocation, panel allocation could have a dramatic effect on promotion, playoff and relegation places which could have huge financial implications for certain member clubs.

Can you tell me :

a) Is there an official rule in this circumstance?

b) Have clubs officially signed to agree the rule?

c) Could the application of the rule be subject to a legal appeal?

d) Will points won by teams who have already played Wimbledon be deducted; or would points automatically be awarded to the opposing team; or would a panel adjudicate on the games not played; or some other solution?

e) Could the entire football league results for season 2003-04 be cast as null and void, resulting in no promotion and or relegation between the Premier League and Div 1 and other leagues.

As Wimbledon have no assets to speak of, No ground to sell, No players of any real value, liquidation would not gain the creditors much money. Therefore 4p/£ would seem a good deal. Didn''t the Binners pay 5p/£ and I assume they have far more assets than Wimbledon do.

I got a response.... so top marks to the FL for responding so quick...

--------

If any club ceases to be a member of The League during any season, its record would be expunged and the number of relegation places from the relevat division reduced by the number of clubs in the division which have ceased to be members.

Regulation 12.2 of the attached link refers:

http://www.football-league.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Rules/0,,10794,00.html

Thank you for contacting The Football League.

Patricia Brown
Customer Services
The Football League Limited

The Football League Ltd., Edward VII Quay, Navigation Way, Preston PR2 2YF.
Telephone: 0870 442 0 1888. Fax: 0870 442 1188. Registered office no: 80612
London office: 11 Connaught Place, London W2 2ET. Fax: 0870 442 8188

-----

So what does it mean - I read it that "expunged" would mean that all points would be removed for all games involving Wimbledon if they failed to play all their games.

The obvious winners at the top would be West Brom - but before everyone gets too upset, the gap to third would be pretty much maintained, so whilst it would muck up chances of winning the title, the main goal of promotion would not be so badly affected.

As of tonight (post Gills) it would mean there was an 8 point gap with only 8 matches to go and some of our rivals would end up playing 1 less match that us in the season as we have already played Wimbledon twice and some have not.

At the bottom - Watford would be hardest hit, but only two clubs would go down.

I however think its highly unlikely that Wimbledon will not meet their obligations as if this were to happen they actually get thrown out of the entire Football League not just meerly relegated.

So - "Don''t Panic Mr Mainwairing!" - well not for this reason just yet!

this too worries me a bit

i had the same sort of situation when i played youth football, team pulled out of league and my team (which was top were teh only ones to have played them twice). The result a 6 point deduction which put us down to third, unfortunately we never recovered.

lets hope that the same thing doesnt happen to city!!