Sign in to follow this  
nycanary

Cautiously Optimistic

God there''s a lot of vitriol on this board about the transfers recently...just a few thoughts:Good News:  PG is signing players.  And on the surface, it looks like he and his crew are doing more scouting work than NW ever did.  So, with Otsemobor, Marshall, Gilks, Cureton and this Czech lad, its to see new talent coming in.  Also, we still have loads of money left to spend -- and that''s very good news.  He''s also getting rid of talent that doesn''t hold long-term potential for us -- Henderson and Thorne both gone among others.  These are just good footballing decisions.Bad News:  We lost Earnie and none of the new signings are proven.  Cureton has one good year.  Marshall is solid.  Who knows on Gilks, Otse and the Czech boy.  So, to me, we''ve picked up some solid squad players but no one that really points to us being a true promotion threat this season.At this stage, if we pick up a few more well-known quality signings then we are in great shape.  If we don''t, then it''s mid-table unless this squad over-achieves and pulls off a Reading.We need to buy Eastwood.  And if we can, a central defender and midfielder.

So....all things considered, I''m cautiously optimistic.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]spot on NYC.

we still need a commanding centre half, dominating midfielder and brickhouse up front for jamie to mounat a serious challenge in my view.
[/quote]

Agreed. The spine was what needed replacing.

A new goalie, CB, midfielder and striker (with Earnie, or his replacement - so not Jamie).

I am finding it much easier to enjoy this close season by reading round the news sites and rumours, rather than a lot of the cr@p which seems to get posted when there are no football matches taking place. 

Grant said today that he was never interested in buying Eastwood. The new look Waghorn site has the details here.  Looks like Southend have been using our name to push his price up.I agree that things are starting to fall into place, but we still need numbers in central defence, and midfield.  If we lose Safri (which we will for 6 weeks in Jan anyway) or Etuhu, we won''t have much cover in midfield at all, certainly no-one in the squad that showed themselves as capable last season.  It would be great if we could land a quality midfielder and central defender, someone who has been there and done that in a championship promotion battle or two.  Maybe we should be looking at some of Birmingham / Sunderlands / Derby''s players who aren''t quite good enough for the Premiership ?  No doubt they will be available as both teams look to survive next seasonI hope that Strihavka doesn''t go the same way as Rigters, with an agent using current bids to gain interest from the Premiership, because we really can''t outbid the likes of Blackburn.

I agree nycanary its time to be optimistic, 3 more players, central defender, striker and agressive Keano like midfielder in addition to Marshall then I''ll be one happy bunny.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]spot on NYC.

we still need a commanding centre half, dominating midfielder and brickhouse up front for jamie to mounat a serious challenge in my view.
[/quote]

If its obvious to all of us, why does Grant keep bidding for short @rse strikers.

The only link I''ve seen for a centre half is the Davenport rumour and no links at all to a decent midfielder.

Come on Granty, get weaving!