Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

I'd be more gutted to lose Dickson than Earnie.

Etuhu was really getting his act together the end of last season after his foot problem cleared up and put together a string of eye-catching performances. He muscles players off the ball without having to concede fouls (although he sometimes doesn''t get the benefit of the doubt from refs), he is an intelligent passer with a very good range of passing, he''s a good long-range passer - which he only started to really try when he gained confidence in the latter part of the season once the fans got off his back, he is a more effective long distance striker of the ball than Youssef "I caught one well against Newcastle and since then they''ve all gone into orbit" Safri, he''s good in the air... Yes, I think he could still put a little more energy in, and get forward more, but I think we''ll see the best of him when paired with a disciplined player such as Brellier or Safri. I''ll probably be slaughtered for saying this but I think his influence would be more sorely missed, if he can stay consistant (I''ll say again - as he was doing end of season), than that of Earnie. We were still not in the play-offs when top-scoring Earnie got injured, he couldn''t hold or win the ball and his first touch, passing and decision making were often woeful. Ok, I''m ready, take your best shot...

I agree.   Earnie is fairly easy to replace but the qualities that Dickson has are hard to find in one player.

I agree, especially now we can pair him up with The Judge, if Dickson can bring a greater level of consistency to his game, that could be a great pairing, imo - bring on derby day, lol!! 

Agree 100% Etuhu was just starting to get his consistency before the season ended

OTBC

I think the key is, with Ethuh playing alongside Brellier, he will have someone covering behind him which will allow him to sit further up the pitch.

I would expect the roles between Brellier and Etuhu to be more easily defined and it could be that the two gel far better than Safri and Etuhu ever did.

Or it could completely blow up in our face.

But with Huckerby, Croft and Chadwick around I think it was always a priority to get in a midfielder who enjoys defending. Brellier as the potential to be an excellent signing.

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"]Etuhu was really getting his act together the end of last season after his foot problem cleared up and put together a string of eye-catching performances. He muscles players off the ball without having to concede fouls (although he sometimes doesn''t get the benefit of the doubt from refs), he is an intelligent passer with a very good range of passing, he''s a good long-range passer - which he only started to really try when he gained confidence in the latter part of the season once the fans got off his back, he is a more effective long distance striker of the ball than Youssef "I caught one well against Newcastle and since then they''ve all gone into orbit" Safri, he''s good in the air... Yes, I think he could still put a little more energy in, and get forward more, but I think we''ll see the best of him when paired with a disciplined player such as Brellier or Safri. I''ll probably be slaughtered for saying this but I think his influence would be more sorely missed, if he can stay consistant (I''ll say again - as he was doing end of season), than that of Earnie. We were still not in the play-offs when top-scoring Earnie got injured, he couldn''t hold or win the ball and his first touch, passing and decision making were often woeful.

Ok, I''m ready, take your best shot...
[/quote]

Hi Eddie, I won''t shoot you down, because I was largely sceptical of Etuhu at first, he didn''t seem to apply himself at all and spent most games wandering around in a world of his own.  Not a great asset to a football team and criminal given he has obvious talent, he just needs someone to get him to apply it on a consistent basis.  I too would rather watch him come good and succeed than keep Earnshaw.  IF he does apply himself properly we will indeed have a class act in midfield.  I wonder if he is partnered by the new guy we might actually start with a competent midfield this season.  I think the whole of last season was a disaster for all the players confidence wise and also a lot of team building and leadership needs to be worked on.  We really do need a leader on the pitch, with that we really could see a massive improvement not only in our general play but in our consistent performances, which could lead to much greater things than last season.

Here''s hoping anyway.

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"]Etuhu was really getting his act together the end of last season after his foot problem cleared up and put together a string of eye-catching performances. He muscles players off the ball without having to concede fouls (although he sometimes doesn''t get the benefit of the doubt from refs), he is an intelligent passer with a very good range of passing, he''s a good long-range passer - which he only started to really try when he gained confidence in the latter part of the season once the fans got off his back, he is a more effective long distance striker of the ball than Youssef "I caught one well against Newcastle and since then they''ve all gone into orbit" Safri, he''s good in the air... Yes, I think he could still put a little more energy in, and get forward more, but I think we''ll see the best of him when paired with a disciplined player such as Brellier or Safri. I''ll probably be slaughtered for saying this but I think his influence would be more sorely missed, if he can stay consistant (I''ll say again - as he was doing end of season), than that of Earnie. We were still not in the play-offs when top-scoring Earnie got injured, he couldn''t hold or win the ball and his first touch, passing and decision making were often woeful.

[/quote]

Hi Eddie, I won''t shoot you down, because I was largely sceptical of Etuhu at first, he didn''t seem to apply himself at all and spent most games wandering around in a world of his own.  Not a great asset to a football team and criminal given he has obvious talent, he just needs someone to get him to apply it on a consistent basis.  I too would rather watch him come good and succeed than keep Earnshaw.  IF he does apply himself properly we will indeed have a class act in midfield.  I wonder if he is partnered by the new guy we might actually start with a competent midfield this season.  I think the whole of last season was a disaster for all the players confidence wise and also a lot of team building and leadership needs to be worked on.  We really do need a leader on the pitch, with that we really could see a massive improvement not only in our general play but in our consistent performances, which could lead to much greater things than last season.

Here''s hoping anyway.

We''re all writing Safri off here - he''s not gone yet... If he stays and is fit will be interesting to see how the midfield lines up...

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"]Etuhu was really getting his act together the end of last season after his foot problem cleared up and put together a string of eye-catching performances. He muscles players off the ball without having to concede fouls (although he sometimes doesn''t get the benefit of the doubt from refs), he is an intelligent passer with a very good range of passing, he''s a good long-range passer - which he only started to really try when he gained confidence in the latter part of the season once the fans got off his back, he is a more effective long distance striker of the ball than Youssef "I caught one well against Newcastle and since then they''ve all gone into orbit" Safri, he''s good in the air... Yes, I think he could still put a little more energy in, and get forward more, but I think we''ll see the best of him when paired with a disciplined player such as Brellier or Safri. I''ll probably be slaughtered for saying this but I think his influence would be more sorely missed, if he can stay consistant (I''ll say again - as he was doing end of season), than that of Earnie. We were still not in the play-offs when top-scoring Earnie got injured, he couldn''t hold or win the ball and his first touch, passing and decision making were often woeful. Ok, I''m ready, take your best shot... [/quote]We don''t have a choice on this one since Earnie''s already gone but what about Safri or Dickson? Either way, i agree, keep Etuhu. Grant has only just got started on him and is reaping the rewards, it''s no time to be losing him now.

dicko did well back end of last season and grant hlped to install some self-belief in the player.  i said then that dicko would leave for £1.8m in the window - and i stand by that.  it represents a good deal for city.  the lad had strength, and will get better, but i doubt whether he is capable of dominating the midfield consitently for us to gain promotion.  why - cos if the stats are to be believed dicko mileage during a game puts him in the champs top 5 - but the carra rd faithful don''t perceive that - cos dicko runs but doesn''t take control.   i wish dicko well.the new french guy sound ideal for us, and sound like the type of player we need.  well done grant - new central defender now please.

[/quote]

I didn''t see any string of eye-catching performances, what we got was the odd game where I notices him on the pitch at the end of the season, like the first 3 - 4 games of the season. He is the sometimes player, he sometimes plays but most of the time you cant remember when he last touched the ball. Etuhu has a very long way to go in my eyes to be worth a full time spot in a possible promotion winning team.

Earnie done the job he was asked to do very well, which was score goals, that''s why he is rated at £5mil.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

is there another etuhu who plays for us? because the one i watch is bone idle for most of the season, he proved he can play at the start of the season but then seems to hibernate till the sun comes out again