Huddy

Would Everyone be happy if....

...our team for next season was:-

Marshall

Otsemobor   NEW CENTRE HALF   Shackall   Drury

Chadwick   Breilleur      Etuhu      Huckerby

Cureton   Strihavka

Subs: Gilks, Dublin, Spillane, Croft, Martin

If we spent a couple of million on a decent centre half, such as davenport then i think we would have a good team for next season. My only doubts would be we would need to repalce safri if he goes becasue we''d be light on the ground, and i still doubt whether we have enough firepower up front, (especially, if strihavka unfortunately flopped).

That team with a new centre half included could have cost us the best part of £5 Million, with current spending (Marshall + Strihavka included), hopefully these two will come off, of around 2.5M.

wat do you reckon? Would that side be competative?

The interesting point here is where does Huckerby go?

Personally I would have Lappin on the left (I think you forgot him PG [:D]) and I like Huckerby upfront, but it maybe more productive to have a settled strike partnership upfront involving Jamie +1.

I remember Grant explaining how much Holt had to cover for Hucks when we won the Championship. Maybe Huckerby will play on the left next season and Brellier will be tasked with running and covering our Darren for 90mins??

[quote user="mbncfc"]

The interesting point here is where does Huckerby go?

Personally I would have Lappin on the left (I think you forgot him PG [:D]) and I like Huckerby upfront, but it maybe more productive to have a settled strike partnership upfront involving Jamie +1.

I remember Grant explaining how much Holt had to cover for Hucks when we won the Championship. Maybe Huckerby will play on the left next season and Brellier will be tasked with running and covering our Darren for 90mins??

[/quote]

It is going to be interesting.

Lappin and Fotheringham seem to have been forgotten. Lappin made more of an impression, though PG was promising that fozzy would get better. I''d still stick with Hucks on the left i think, becassue etuhu and breilleur it seems have plenty of energy.

Although, perhaps the reasonwe dont score loads of goals from centre mdfield is because they are too busy covering Hucks. But, then if Hucks played up front would he be so effective and create so much himself.

It''s a tougfh job, and i think PG is the right man for it.

I see our stiking options for next season being:fast: Cureton/Martin/Hucksbig: Strihavika/Brown/DublinIt wouldn''t be neccesary to play a big and a fast together every match, as Martin and Hucks have a good partnership.I''m not so sure about a big name Central Defender maybe a slightly lesser/cheaper one + Jean-Baptiste & Dixon (linked with earlier in summer, we bid 100k they wanted 200k which we may have left over now).I would prefer Collins to Davenport from WHU (too similar to Schakell) or possibly Gardener from spurs?Certainly with Marshall, Strihavika, a Defender (& any others leavers being replaced) I would be one happy man.  We could even get a loan Def and sign Baptiste  which might be a good use of the money.

Yes i would be pleased. Lappin is not inc in that XI, Fotheringham after a decent pre season will also give us something as will Hughesy again. The squad is starting to feel well equipped.

Grant has said about JB that "he knows when and how to cover people when they go forward"....That for me is a big hint that he will be an invaluable asset covering Hucks and our defence.

But the need for a new centre back is a must.

Have heard that Davenport has been linked to a possible move back here.....impressed me during his spell here...creative and very adept at setting up good attacking play from defense good up front in the air as well from corners----think he could compliment our new signings.........What does everyone think and has anyone else heard similar rumours ?

I would be a very happy man with a team like that I have to say. Its a pity that we could not get James Collins, maybe if we could have got him in January but we didn''t so we will have to find someone else, I''m still not sure that someone like Davenport is the answer, but would take him.

Was Davenport left or right footed? From memory he partnered Docherty? I agree he was great in the air with good distribution. Bu tI can''t help remembering QPR and Leeds away whilst he was here. Appalling games. Possibly the worst central defence I''ve seen at NCFC in years.

Was Docherty the problem? Not always. 

How about going for it big style.........................

Marshall

Otsemobor                     New CB or Shackell or Dublin                  Drury

Brellier

Chadwick                        Safri                     Etuhu                          Lappin

Huckerby

Cureton                     Strihavka

Otsemobor is capable of dropping into the centre as required, Brellier playing the "Makelele" role, Chadwick and Lappin dropping back as required. Hux basically in a free role.

One of Safri and Etuhu pushing forward at any one time, the other providing extra cover down the middle. Strihavka down the middle, Cureton down the middle and/or linking right with Chadwick.  

Subs would come from Gilks, Martin, Croft, Shackell/Dublin, Spillane, Brown, Fotheringham - depending on fitness/availability. Joe Lewis out on loan with an immediate recall clause, same for Cave-Brown and Renton although maybe without the recall clauses.  

Mark .Y.

If we don''t get a cente-half in by the first pre-season friendly I think we should try this team:

Marshall

Semmy Shacks Drury

Brellier

Chadwick Etuhu Safs Lappin

Strihavka Cureton

Only against one of the smaller sides because I think the trio in the centre of midfield would give us tackling from Brellier, strength and power from Dickson and the passing from Safs. The defence is obviously week but no disrespect to them but are Lowestoft going to trouble them.  

[quote user="Dan Grant"]

If we don''t get a cente-half in by the first pre-season friendly I think we should try this team:

Marshall

Semmy Shacks Drury

Brellier

Strihavka Cureton

Only against one of the smaller sides because I think the trio in the centre of midfield would give us tackling from Brellier, strength and power from Dickson and the passing from Safs. The defence is obviously week but no disrespect to them but are Lowestoft going to trouble them.  

[/quote]

Errrr....where is Hucks then?

I wonder if he may be considering:

Marshall

Otsemobor DEFENDER Shackell Lappin

Brellier

Chadwick Etuhu Safri

Cureton Huckerby

This would let Hucks off the leash to link up with Cureton.

Croft for Chadwick in a starting line up, would have to think hard about Etuhu, maybe Spillane instead. The rest good for home games.

Away games, Lappin in mid field, Cureton on the bench and start with Strihavka alone up front.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

As i haven''t seen Otsemboor, Breilleur or Shakira play its a bit premature to have an opinion either way. In fact most of us hadn''t even heard of 2 of these last week!

your lineup also conspicuously omits Fotheringham, Lappin and Brown i.e. Peter Grant''s other acquisitions similarly heralded and then forgotten (however briefly) in the excitement of another freebie.

And no Hughes giving 110% , bleeding yellow and green, never-say-die attitude etc etc each week?

I do think ''NEW CENTRE HALF'' is fortunate to be named after his position. If we can get him and "RIGHT-WINGER WHO CAN LAST 90 MINUTES" we might just have a chance.

[quote user="Cheeky Monkey"]

Was Davenport left or right footed? From memory he partnered Docherty? I agree he was great in the air with good distribution. Bu tI can''t help remembering QPR and Leeds away whilst he was here. Appalling games. Possibly the worst central defence I''ve seen at NCFC in years.

Was Docherty the problem? Not always. 

[/quote]

Yes, I had the misfortune to be at Loftus Road (and Kenilworth Road) too, and my overall impression of Davenport was not good.

[quote user="Mark .Y."]

Marshall

Otsemobor                     New CB or Shackell or Dublin                  Drury

Brellier

Chadwick                        Safri                     Etuhu                          Lappin

Huckerby

Otsemobor is capable of dropping into the centre as required, Brellier playing the "Makelele" role, Chadwick and Lappin dropping back as required. Hux basically in a free role.

One of Safri and Etuhu pushing forward at any one time, the other providing extra cover down the middle. Strihavka down the middle, Cureton down the middle and/or linking right with Chadwick.  

Subs would come from Gilks, Martin, Croft, Shackell/Dublin, Spillane, Brown, Fotheringham - depending on fitness/availability. Joe Lewis out on loan with an immediate recall clause, same for Cave-Brown and Renton although maybe without the recall clauses.  

Mark .Y.

[/quote]

An excellent tactic, SEND OUT 12 PLAYERS!

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"][quote user="Dan Grant"]

Marshall

Semmy Shacks Drury

Brellier

Strihavka Cureton

[/quote]

Errrr....where is Hucks then?

[/quote]

Wouldn''t you see how the team performed without him for the first pre-season game, I would and also this may be my line up for the 1st/2nd round of the cup. We have to start planning for life without hux because he may not be with us for much longer.

[quote user="Mark .Y."]

Marshall

Brellier

Huckerby

[/quote]Yes! Let''s go for it! 12 men, maybe no one will ever notice!

Davenport was solid, but not spectacular when he was hear two seasons ago. But in the last 18 months he appears to have improved as a player no end. He was playing for spurs and doing well last season, before his move to west ham, where again he seemed to be playing well as their defence got better. But with Magnusson''s millions, and players like Ferdinand, Upson etc i believe the chances of Davenport and other centre backs there will be numbered, and it is a good chance for PG to use his upton knowledge and make our team complete!

[quote user="OTBC"][quote user="Mark .Y."]

Marshall

Brellier

Huckerby

[/quote]

Yes! Let''s go for it! 12 men, maybe no one will ever notice!

[/quote]

Yes......................just realized that myself this morning......................

Memo to Peter Grant : DO NOT write the team sheet after a couple of beers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark .Y.