Sign in to follow this  
Rasputin was a C...

Does Green need a rest?

I''ve noticed how Englands future No.1 has been slightly off colour recently, making a number of mistakes. For example when he came way out of his box against West Brom. Hell we were lucky to get away with that. And of course he hesitated for the second yesterday. Is it too big a risk to bring in Chrichton at this stage of the season?

Even on a bad day I would still choose Green. Like the rest of the team he will bounce back on Tue against Gillingham.

Are you serious? Greeno has been absolutley magnificent since he has been given the Number 1 shirt. He probably makes one major mistake a season (ie away at Derby last year and away at Forrest this year) However for a goal keeper this is pretty damn good record. The idea of dropping him for a goal keeper who has played reserve team football since we brought him to the club is ludicrous. I think it''s fair to say that a few of the players didn''t turn up at cardiff. However to say that Greeno needs a rest after his mistake is nonsence

Let''s see now, we have had suggestions of resting Huckerby until we reach the run-in for the finish, now resting Green who has probably contributed more points through game-winning saves than most goaltenders this season. Why not let''s give consideration to sending poor Holt to a country sanitarium for walkees as he does far too much running on the pitch, and let''s send Drury to a Spanish villa for a rest from the burden of captaincy. While we''re at it, how about asking King''s Lynn if they would mind filling in completely for the odd game so that we can send the whole Norwich team away for morale-building sessions and see how we might develop a motivational approach as to how they might play some games for the whole 90 minutes. Can we stop this nonsensical input and think of more valuable contributions?

Well said yankee,we cant rest all our best players, your right that it''s a farce to suggest we should rest green and huckerby

Greeno need a rest; give me a break, I am still vulnerable after having my sides sewn back together after reading the ''Easton better than McVeigh'' post!

Keepers need to play game after game. He has been immense and is the divisions best keeper by a mile, including when James was still here. I am not sure he is quite Englands number one - yet. The lads potential is enormous but what is most impressive is the way he learns from his mistakes - and he made yet another stupendous stop against Cardiff to keep us in the game.

Also name me a keeper that has NOT made half a dozen mistakes this season - thats about all Greeno has made...

OTBC

Although Green clearly cannot be dropped this season, I do question some aspects of his game.

His shot stopping is absolutely first class, far and away the best in the division. Despite this, his presence in the area is a doubt, and he has made more than one error this season on crosses, for example a couple of errors at Rotherham were poor. He was also lucky against West Brom when Fleming''s hand prevented embarrasment for his blooper.

I take your point Zipper that most keepers have a nightmare or two per season, but my point is that he''ll stop most shots that are fired at him, but his aerial ability needs work. When was the last time we saw Greeno parry a shot or let one slip through his hands. I don''t think he''s done that this season, but he has consistently looked questionable when his command of the area is put to the test.

Don''t get me wrong, Greeno is a quality keeper and should clearly play for us in the Premiership, but this is an aspect of his game that he really must work on. Maybe I am being too harsh on him as he is still young and this aspect of his game should come with experience.

I would agree with you splendid that Greeno is not the finished article and that the repeated calls for his inclusion in the England squad are premature. At the end of the day he is a talented young keeper who has not faced the best players in the world or played in some truly high profile/high pressure games - most of what you have said could apply to Richard Wright when he was at portaloo road - a lot of talent but when push came to shove his decision making in pressure games was poor - for both England and the gooners.

Greeno is in that spot at the moment - a fantastic prospect with an excellent pair of hands, good presence and WILLING TO LEARN. Greeno has made some poor calls but so have all keepers - at his age he can and probably will iron them out - it is experience that helps keepers make the right decision and this will happen with Greeno if his current attitude is concerned.

As far as his handling of crosses and presence are concerned I, and I think the back 4, have a lot of faith in him. He rarely drops crosses (I cant at the moment think of an error here) and commands his box well with a good understanding between him and the central defenders. I do recall some poor decisions - coming for a WBA cross in the second half and only palming the ball towards Andy Johnson before spreading himself superbly to make a further super save being the last one.

As far as this weekends goals are concerned I certainly dont put much blame on Greeno - the defending for the crosses was woeful - and he wrongly anticipated Earnshaw making contacted - he played the percentages and lost.

I would say that Greeno makes the right choice 80% of the time. 15% of the time the wrong choice has no impact - the other 5% leads to a goal. What Greeno has to do is learn from his mistakes and make the right choice 90% of the time. If he is making the right choice he has all the basic keeping skills to be Englands best keeper within 5 years.

OTBC

Yeah Greeno didn''t look extremely shape as the start of the season, but we just can''t rest
him I believe, he wouldn''t be too tired between the stick, rememeber when we had Paul in goal 2 seasons ago, we did have a un-win record against Millwall at home and Coventry away. Goalkeeper need to play more games to build up his experience, even conceded or not conceded. I am sure when we are reaching the Premiership, Greeno will become our first player in the Millenium to represent England.

"His save in the first half against Geoff Horsfield was SUPERHUMAN!!!!"

When Norwich''s promotion is ensured, maybe Mr Worthington and Co. can look at playing some of the fringe and youth players?
You have to remember that Norwich do have England''s Number 1 on their books - the fantastic Joe "Safe Hands" Lewis. Why not give him a go? If City''s promotion is confirmed then there''s nothing to lose in giving the young lad some experience at the top level. This could also be done with one or two of the other youngsters?
What''s the opinion of others?

If we secured promotion before the end of the season, I think it is a MUST for Nigel to field in the player who means future to us: Joe Lewis, Jason Shackell, Keith Briggs, Dean Sinclair, Ian Henderson, Ryan Jarvis, or any surprise late call ups from the academy systems, how about liked that:

Lewis

Briggs Shackell Drury Brennan

Henderson Sinclair McVeigh Smith

Jarvis Crow

Am I dreaming? :O)

I think Joe Lewis will have his GCSE''s to concentrate on in May. We don''t want to give him any more pressure.

If we have the title wrapped up by then, then maybe.

And rest green?? Youve gotta be kidding

xxl16,playing a youth team is unlikely to prove much.by putting a few fringe players in we can see how they integrate with the rest of the team as opposed to the rest of the youth team. therefore it would make sense to play say shackell, lewis and jarvis, but not the reserve team.

I agree Archie, that''s the point I was trying to make. Get some of the fringe players to integrate with the first teamers and see how they get on. It would be good to give them the experience.
With regards to Joe''s GCSEs, he''s a bright enough lad to get on ok. Give him a game of football to take his mind off the pressure of the exams!! I reckon it would work.
Shackell played well last night, as did Jarvis when he came on. Impressed with both. They''ll get their chances in time.