Sign in to follow this  
The Huckerby Delusion

Am I naive?

Is there anybody left out there that just goes week in and week out to carrow road to support their team? I''ve just bought my first season ticket and although I would love to see city in the prem I''d feel just as proud owning that ticket If we were in the conference. I do think its stupid to slap a clause thats only 500k over what we payed for earnie but, honestly I have never been a broker of muti-million pound transfer deals or a chief-exec of a large football club, so what do I know?

As for protesting, forget it, I''ll be there at the first game cheering on which ever 11 turn out. thats what fans do.

[quote user="Chippy636"]

Is there anybody left out there that just goes week in and week out to carrow road to support their team? I''ve just bought my first season ticket and although I would love to see city in the prem I''d feel just as proud owning that ticket If we were in the conference. I do think its stupid to slap a clause thats only 500k over what we payed for earnie but, honestly I have never been a broker of muti-million pound transfer deals or a chief-exec of a large football club, so what do I know?

As for protesting, forget it, I''ll be there at the first game cheering on which ever 11 turn out. thats what fans do.

[/quote]

As someone who has been a supporter since 1953 I would have to say that Yes Chippy, you are naive

But never mind, when you''ve been a supporter for that long you might feel just a depressed and disallusioned as I am now.

But come August I''ll be back to my usual optimistic self. Hope springs eternal Chippy so keep smiling.

[quote user="Chippy636"]

[/quote]

ahh bless... and what do you know about football?

Very little too I would suggest!!!

Yes I do Chippy, I''m there week after week, good times and bad times to support the club that I love. I also feel proud when that season ticket drops through the door and I still get excited when it gets to August and I know the first game isn''t far away.

and theres plenty like me Chippy so keep the faith.

No you''re not naive - you''re a proper supporter.  You go along to support your team.  Through good times and bad.  You enjoy it rather than putting a negative spin on everything as so many whingers on here do. 

I would rather Earnie had stayed, but let''s face it, he was only ever passing through the club and was useful to us whilst he was here.  In Cureton we have a player who wants to play for our club - who can forget the green hair in the scum game.

Perhaps now, after Earnie and Ashton, two very talented individuals but not team players, we can get back to being a team.  Like we were in the promotion season, like we were in the early nineties. 

No doubt I will get accused of missing the point, being an apologist etc, but I will support my team through thick and thin.  I don''t like selling our best players, but after 30 something years of supporting my team I am realistic enough to know it will happen now and always. 

If you feel slagging off "your" team at every opportunity still enables you to call yourself a supporter, then I will strongly disagree with you.

Get over it and get behind the team.

See you in Holland....

Jamie Cureton, City Legend.

OTBC.

[quote user="Chippy636"]

[/quote]

Yes we are fans and the 1st thing you think is to support your team, but how else do you let the board know we wont let them get away with it?

By attending games they win again. Protest, boycott, whatever it takes to get through to the idiots that run OUR club.

[quote user="Dicky"]

No you''re not naive - you''re a proper supporter.  You go along to support your team.  Through good times and bad.  You enjoy it rather than putting a negative spin on everything as so many whingers on here do. 

I would rather Earnie had stayed, but let''s face it, he was only ever passing through the club and was useful to us whilst he was here.  In Cureton we have a player who wants to play for our club - who can forget the green hair in the scum game.

Perhaps now, after Earnie and Ashton, two very talented individuals but not team players, we can get back to being a team.  Like we were in the promotion season, like we were in the early nineties. 

No doubt I will get accused of missing the point, being an apologist etc, but I will support my team through thick and thin.  I don''t like selling our best players, but after 30 something years of supporting my team I am realistic enough to know it will happen now and always. 

If you feel slagging off "your" team at every opportunity still enables you to call yourself a supporter, then I will strongly disagree with you.

Get over it and get behind the team.

See you in Holland....

Jamie Cureton, City Legend.

OTBC.

[/quote]

If we, and it''s fast becoming a real possibility, plummet down the League, you might not have a club to ardently support:

The club is in debt to the tune of 20 million quid and the board with its recent new members are clearly interested in the off-field side of things by showing no footballing business acumen whatsoever - cuisine isn''t going to wipe away those debts, but it will line board members pockets even if Norwich City as a football club goes bust.

Yeah, Carrow Road becomes the Riverside Holiday Complex.

Spot on Dicky

I have supported Norwich through thick and thin for 48 years now - I have stopped posting on this board over the last few months, being fed up with all the negativity and the constant slanging of players and management- its good see posting like yours and Chippy''s - True supporters of our wonderful club

mmm averaging 5 posts a day, all negative, for the last 9 months. Thanks for all your help and support but really if you are that unhappy why don''t you turn away.  Everybody has a choice in everything they do in life.

You do realise that at one minute per post you have spent 21 hours of the last 9 months replying negatively - let alone the hours spent reading and no doubt fuming.

I have lived three and a half thousand miles away for the last year on a sub-tropical island but cannot wait for the day I return for a nil-nil draw on a Tuesday night against a far flung Lancashire club on a rainy february night. 

Because your footballing CV got beyond under 15''s doesn''t give you the right to slate anybody elses footballing "knowledge".  In the same way my CV does not give me the right to tell you that you know nothing about financial accounts, business acumen or grounded discussion using a grown up sense of perspective.

I trust you do not react in this manner when you ahve a family/work/friends issue.

If you would like to post your points, in a bullet point format, about why the board are "scum" and have "lied to us" then City Angel, new season ticket bloke and I will respond.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Yes I do Chippy, I''m there week after week, good times and bad times to support the club that I love. I also feel proud when that season ticket drops through the door and I still get excited when it gets to August and I know the first game isn''t far away.

and theres plenty like me Chippy so keep the faith.

[/quote]It''s a shame isn''t angel, so many people here just seem to enjoy the club doing badly, its really sad to see that the only thing some people are excited about the first day of the season is their first chance to demo, because that a great way to help the club...

[quote user="Nigel Tracey"][quote user="Chippy636"]

[/quote]

Yes we are fans and the 1st thing you think is to support your team, but how else do you let the board know we wont let them get away with it?

By attending games they win again. Protest, boycott, whatever it takes to get through to the idiots that run OUR club.

[/quote]

How would you actually feel then Nigel, if you decided to boycott games and the team played well and picked up three points and therefore going on a run, which ANY side is capable of doing in the Championship?

An answer from you will determine as to whether you are a true fan or not.

Chippy, I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again, many of us just like to watch football, so good on you. Whatever happens off the field, true supporters get behind their team on the field, and no one can dispute that.

[quote user="Chippy636"]

[/quote]

You are niave.

[quote user="Maidstone Canary"]

Spot on Dicky

I have supported Norwich through thick and thin for 48 years now - I have stopped posting on this board over the last few months, being fed up with all the negativity and the constant slanging of players and management- its good see posting like yours and Chippy''s - True supporters of our wonderful club

[/quote]

Hi Maidstone, are you one of the Kent boys who used to sit in the NU Community stand the season before last?

[quote user="Chippy636"]

[/quote]

Hi Chippy, are you naive?  No, you are single minded in your support of the club, nothing wrong with that.  Some on here will call you weak, a sheep, all kinds of things as you don''t agree with them.  Let them.  What matters is supporting the club, going to matches when you can and getting behind the team.  Yes, there are times when the board or the manager or whoever gets it wrong, but that shouldn''t stop you getting behind the players on the pitch. 

Enjoy your season ticket, as CA says in her post, it''s a great day when that falls on the doormat.  An even greater day when you walk to Carrow Road with everyone else, united in the support of our club.  I have had a season ticket for a long time, but the excitement of a new season never goes.  Some are better than others, and that''s just something we have to accept. 

Season tickets to arrive anytime now!  Fantastic....

[quote user="nobbyg"]

mmm averaging 5 posts a day, all negative, for the last 9 months. Thanks for all your help and support but really if you are that unhappy why don''t you turn away.  Everybody has a choice in everything they do in life.

You do realise that at one minute per post you have spent 21 hours of the last 9 months replying negatively - let alone the hours spent reading and no doubt fuming.

I have lived three and a half thousand miles away for the last year on a sub-tropical island but cannot wait for the day I return for a nil-nil draw on a Tuesday night against a far flung Lancashire club on a rainy february night. 

Because your footballing CV got beyond under 15''s doesn''t give you the right to slate anybody elses footballing "knowledge".  In the same way my CV does not give me the right to tell you that you know nothing about financial accounts, business acumen or grounded discussion using a grown up sense of perspective.

I trust you do not react in this manner when you ahve a family/work/friends issue.

If you would like to post your points, in a bullet point format, about why the board are "scum" and have "lied to us" then City Angel, new season ticket bloke and I will respond.

[/quote]

I do not want them to respond thanks... they can support this club in to oblivion...

Me and amny others however are sick and tired of the way this club is being ran and are set to demand changes...

Quite simple really... so you can shove your bullet-points where the sun don''t shine as some people are just blind to the facts!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Chippy636"]

[/quote]

ahh bless... and what do you know about football?

Very little too I would suggest!!!

[/quote]You really are an irritating piece of work, aren''t you, Smudger. You should change your name to Mr Smug, it would be much more apt.

Smudger knows exactly how we perform on a matchday; Radio Norfolk''s commentary are just as good as being there...(aren''t they?)

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

Hi Chippy, are you naive?  No, you are single minded in your support of the club, nothing wrong with that.  Some on here will call you weak, a sheep, all kinds of things as you don''t agree with them.  Let them.  What matters is supporting the club, going to matches when you can and getting behind the team.  Yes, there are times when the board or the manager or whoever gets it wrong, but that shouldn''t stop you getting behind the players on the pitch. 

Enjoy your season ticket, as CA says in her post, it''s a great day when that falls on the doormat.  An even greater day when you walk to Carrow Road with everyone else, united in the support of our club.  I have had a season ticket for a long time, but the excitement of a new season never goes.  Some are better than others, and that''s just something we have to accept. 

[/quote]You make it sound like a rarity, a few times? How about 3 years solid? (and still growing)

Why waste your time on something that makes you so unhappy and angry? If you don''t like it stay away.

How are you going to demand changes?  By posting 5 times a day on here?  Or by listening to the game on the radio and then running to the ground to shout obscenities at the back of the City Stand?  Why do you feel it is your right to demand changes?

Being a football fan used to be aout following your team through the good times and the bad, the wins and the losses.  Now it seems that everybody feels they have some kind of divine right in the decisions made and the runnng of the club.

Nice comeback.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="gazzathegreat"]

[/quote]

You make it sound like a rarity, a few times?

How about 3 years solid? (and still growing)
[/quote]

I don''t know where i said a few times, but hey, think what you like.  The point I was getting at is that however hard it is to go and watch, you still go and watch. It''s called supporting your team.  Many on here will conveniently forget that and call us sheep or Delia apologists. 

The past three years have been difficult, as some well before that have been.  I don''t know about you Alex, but short of the whole team being sold off for free in a day, not much would prevent me from buying my season ticket and going. NCFC are my club, have been for nearly 40 years and to be honest always will be.  The only time I have wilfully not gone was during the Chase Out protests when I stood outside the ground until he left.  I didn''t enjoy doing it, but what happened to the club at that time was the last straw for me.  I accept you and others now think what''s happening now is similar?  That''s up to you.  Nothing to do with this club is completely black and white and entirely subject to personal opinion and whatever your own personal bottom line is.  As far as I am concerned we haven''t reached that point yet. 

[quote user="Chippy636"]

As for protesting, forget it, I''ll be there at the first game cheering on which ever 11 turn out. thats what fans do.[/quote]

Here here. I think many we have a small contingency that forget what a supporter should do; support the side.

I love discussing the club and the merits of the actions it takes, but come Saturday I''ll happily take my seat in the Jarrold.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nobbyg"]

[/quote]

I do not want them to respond thanks... they can support this club in to oblivion...

Me and amny others however are sick and tired of the way this club is being ran and are set to demand changes...

Quite simple really... so you can shove your bullet-points where the sun don''t shine as some people are just blind to the facts!!!

[/quote]

Smudger...the sad thing is that others cannot perceive your passion because they don''t have any themselves. They may have their dreams and they may have their fantasies...but bottle they do not. It''s a whole new animal out there nowadays...and will remain so until the "new age" luvvies find another hobby...or football declines once more as it surely will with so little substance to back the money.

The battle is lost as far as trying to rally the "fans" to fight for something better...because remember you are dealing with "computer characters" on here, not real ones....and the main body of supporters in the real world have either had enough of this farce....or simply will not stump up the crazy price as the la de das seem happy to do (for now). 

I''m looking at many outsiders from Londonville and beyond who have hijacked our once proud county club...and in doing so have created something different. Rather like the villages full of second homes....they destroy the integrity so they can dally with it at their leisure and right now we are being "dallied with" from the boardroom through to the trendy "spectators" in the ground. They deserve each other for the time being....and as I''ve said before...when they''ve done and moved on.....the grass roots fans will begin to come back. Until then....let the children play and go watch some honest football being played on the parks around the county. That''s where I''ll be anyway....far away from the spin of Norwich City Smith style........

They aren''t worth your energy mate.

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nobbyg"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Smudger...the sad thing is that others cannot perceive your passion because they don''t have any themselves. They may have their dreams and they may have their fantasies...but bottle they do not. It''s a whole new animal out there nowadays...and will remain so until the "new age" luvvies find another hobby...or football declines once more as it surely will with so little substance to back the money.

The battle is lost as far as trying to rally the "fans" to fight for something better...because remember you are dealing with "computer characters" on here, not real ones....and the main body of supporters in the real world have either had enough of this farce....or simply will not stump up the crazy price as the la de das seem happy to do (for now). 

I''m looking at many outsiders from Londonville and beyond who have hijacked our once proud county club...and in doing so have created something different. Rather like the villages full of second homes....they destroy the integrity so they can dally with it at their leisure and right now we are being "dallied with" from the boardroom through to the trendy "spectators" in the ground. They deserve each other for the time being....and as I''ve said before...when they''ve done and moved on.....the grass roots fans will begin to come back. Until then....let the children play and go watch some honest football being played on the parks around the county. That''s where I''ll be anyway....far away from the spin of Norwich City Smith style........

They aren''t worth your energy mate.

[/quote]

There there, pay no attention to the nasty men Smudger, you really are very clever indeed, it must be so as Uncle Cluck says so.

Now anyone who isn''t a rabid protestor is an out-of-towner, apologist, newly-found football fan. You''re funnier than you realise.

Why do you have such a chip?  Why all this Londoner baiting?  Do you truly believe that we are now overrun by new age fans?

Or is it that many Norfolk born people with the invention of the motor car can now work in other parts of the country/world...not having to resort to a life of Norfolkness that we all get so derided by.

Or is this a veiled attack on the types of fans who can now enoy football rather than being scared off by thugs fighting each other and tearing up towns over a football match.

I really do not want to resort to personal facts to refute all your allegations - but I do not believe you have the crux of this argument right. 

Isn''t it refreshing to have a board of people who are all Norwich fans representing us and the club? 
Do you think Milan Mandaric will buy a new scarf..... or can he make do with his Portsmounth one because Leicester play in blue as well.

[quote user="nobbyg"]

Why do you have such a chip?  Why all this Londoner baiting?  Do you truly believe that we are now overrun by new age fans?

Or is it that many Norfolk born people with the invention of the motor car can now work in other parts of the country/world...not having to resort to a life of Norfolkness that we all get so derided by.

Or is this a veiled attack on the types of fans who can now enoy football rather than being scared off by thugs fighting each other and tearing up towns over a football match.

I really do not want to resort to personal facts to refute all your allegations - but I do not believe you have the crux of this argument right. 

Isn''t it refreshing to have a board of people who are all Norwich fans representing us and the club? 
Do you think Milan Mandaric will buy a new scarf..... or can he make do with his Portsmounth one because Leicester play in blue as well.

[/quote]

1.   I don''t like Londoners especially when they continually stick their noses into what doesn''t concern them (i.e. just about every pretty village in East Anglia)...and yes we are being overrun by new age trendy "spectators" who will fade away as quickly as the came......Also if Norfolk living isn''t good enough for you...nor will be the club be... as it''s meant to represent our fine city...not Stow-in-the-Wold or Surbiton.  

2.   Don''t be such a pansy......

3.   No it isn''t..because they have their own agenda which doesn''t include seriously funding a successful football team. A glance at the crap Grant has brought here speaks volumes....but hey....a monkey in a yellow shirt would be a legend according to some of the half wits I''ve read on here. 

Any more inane questions?

No better

way to identify yourself with your club than having a season ticket chap. Not

that it makes you more of a supporter but I remember the first one I got and it

gives you an enormous sense of belonging. I just moved to Bristol but still renued. I can’t see myself

without one now. As for all the depressing hype at the moment, well, sometimes

its best just to go back to basics and enjoy going on a Saturday and having a

good time supporting your club with your mates. An experience some of the board

bashers would do well to remember, or in most case do well to experience for

the 1st time.

[quote user="Maidstone Canary"]

Spot on Dicky

[/quote]

Quite right my thoughts exactly

[quote user="gazzathegreat"][quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="gazzathegreat"]

[/quote]

You make it sound like a rarity, a few times?

How about 3 years solid? (and still growing)
[/quote]

I don''t know where i said a few times, but hey, think what you like.  The point I was getting at is that however hard it is to go and watch, you still go and watch. It''s called supporting your team.  Many on here will conveniently forget that and call us sheep or Delia apologists. 

The past three years have been difficult, as some well before that have been.  I don''t know about you Alex, but short of the whole team being sold off for free in a day, not much would prevent me from buying my season ticket and going. NCFC are my club, have been for nearly 40 years and to be honest always will be.  The only time I have wilfully not gone was during the Chase Out protests when I stood outside the ground until he left.  I didn''t enjoy doing it, but what happened to the club at that time was the last straw for me.  I accept you and others now think what''s happening now is similar?  That''s up to you.  Nothing to do with this club is completely black and white and entirely subject to personal opinion and whatever your own personal bottom line is.  As far as I am concerned we haven''t reached that point yet. 

[/quote]

agreed with both your posts Gazza!

Im not a fan of the current board, i feel they insult our intelligence and spout drivel which they really believe us to accept as the norm, then act supirsed when the truth comes out months later... to the point they contradict themselves.

However, whilt not a supporter of the board i am a supporter of the club and the team, I think Peter Grant is an excellent manager, he knows what he wants and he works hard to get it.. he doesnt dither then use bull s**t when found out like Worthy did. Grant says it how he sees it and i for one like that.

and your right what you say, when the season tickets arrive it is a fantastic day! counting down the days to the big kick off, attending home friendlies (i am going to West ham as a birthday ''treat'' as its on my actual Bday and im going to vitesse) then i shall be at the barnet cup game..

Some people might accuse me of not being a loyal fan because i wont support Delia and co, that couldnt be further from the truth. i have had a season ticket Every year since 92/93 since i have had a season ticket i have missed just 8 games in all competition at Carrow road in that time, i have been to games with the flue, 24 hours after dislocating my left knee, with concussion... i cant miss it! Football, and in particular Norwich city are my drug. i have to meet up with my mates before every game for a drink, Have to take place in the stands with people i have seen every weekend for years, yes i might shout and whinge sometimes.. yes there are players i dont think should be in the team (Etuhu, Drury, Brown) but i spend my money every season because i believe....

I''ll still put my money into getting a season ticket because i have too... what else would i do on a saturday? wander round Chapelfield with my girlfriend? be led round the sales? taken to the garden center? no thank you... i get one a day a week to myself between August and May.... i know what id rather be doing!

People like cluck and Smudger are entitled to their opinion as much as anyone else.. what they choose to do with their money is up to them...  I spend MY OWN money on a season ticket.. and if people thik im a fool, or a "sheep" or wtahever.. then they should just be greatful its not THEIR money i choose to spend isnt it?

on the ball city! see you all at Carrow road on 31st july.. and no giving me the bumps!

jas :)

Hi Jas

Yes, will no doubt see you there v W Ham, am going to get my tickets later today.....maybe we could all sing Happy Birthday to you.

I have nothing personal against Smudger or Cluck, I disagree with them over many things, while other things they say do have relevance.  The club''s not perfect, never has been while I have supported them, probably never will be.  That''s half the fun surely, not knowing what''s going to happen.  But I can''t in all honesty go and protest at the moment.  If Peter Grant fails us dismally over this season and the next, yes, it will be a time to rethink, but not before a ball has been kicked.

So I shall indeed look forward to yet another year in the Barclay!