Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

Is Safri next...

Agree with zipper. Safri adds a quality in the pass and tackle that no one else in the team can match. The difference when he is on the pitch is so noticeable and he''s about the only one who can brake up an attack. He''s got us out of danger with an important tackle on countless occasions. Hopefully "The Judge" Brellier can match up to his quality, if not we will be flimsy as in the middle of the park if Saffs leaves.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

The difference with earnie and safri is that without earnie we still won games and scored goals;    whether for worthy or grant we simply do not win games of football without safri making an appearance;  it shows that our central midfield (and  team as its the engine room) performs better with him in (even when he doesnt play well) that now where to be seen.  Comapre that to not having etuhu in the side - I suspect there wont be much difference

Safri playing does not mean we always win - he has been a long way from consistent  - but he has a bite in the tackle and is disruptive to opponents in the same way holt was - and as the likes of stiles, deschamps, dunga, makalele and even vinny jones have shown before having that influence in the side makes a big difference;   Etuhu et al simply do not have that presence.

Selling him is a bigger mistake than losing earnie,  we need to be bolstering that part of the pitch not losing players who really make us successful. 

If its not an issue that Dion is only likely to play 50% of games why is it for Safri?  

[/quote]

I believe it is an issue that Dion is likely to play only 50% of games. And there was plenty of discussion on here before he signed his new contract where people were concerned about losing the parachute money and then Dublin taking up a wage as a player who will probably be used sparingly. So I believe it’s even more of an issue to have both Dublin and Safri in the squad for next season.

Since these posts were written we have signed Brellier who could be seen as direct competition or replacement for Safri. Ideally we could keep Safri and have a bit of strength in depth in the centre of midfield but maybe the budget won’t stretch to two big wages for players who are only likely to play 50% of games.

I too have a problem that Dion will only play 50% of games (and that he will continue to train in Villa) NN. 

As far as playing so few games, Safri only missed 11 leagues games. 

I too have a problem that Dion will only play 50% of games (and that he will continue to train in Villa) NN. 

[/quote]

There were also 3/4 games where Safri played 30 mins or less from the bench either because he wasn''t deemed fit enough to start or because (having studied the stats) the manager was stupid!

The previous season when there was ANC Safs missed 16 games. That''s why I couldn''t realistically expect more than 25 this coming season.

Like with Dion earlier this summer I''m not sure about Safri''s value to us next season. He has undoubtedly been our best midfielder over the last two seasons and the stats show prove the impact he has on the performances. But like the others he has been part of a team that has consistently underperformed and not at anytime challenged for promotion.

Grant is assembling his own squad of players now. Over the years I have noticed that the new managers always tend to play their signings over the players they inherit so the signing of Breiller could well herald Safris departrure anyway.

ZLF - I would be interested to know your thoughts on what formation we could be playing next season. You convinced me that Hux should play up front and I am still firmly in that camp. But with the new signings and potential signings how do you see it fitting together?

[/quote]

But with the African Nations Cup this season, the figure is likely to be higher.

I think we need another CB, and either Safri or A. N. Other whichever way it goes...

Ben Watson surely.

I havent really thought it through yet NN.

I think we should be looking to build the squad around Hux,  being far and away the bet attacking player we have.   The options appear to be a 4-4-2, a portuguese 4-2-3-1 or a fluid 4-3-2-1.     The last two really need a target man to hold the ball up - which we dont currently have although the czech guy may fit the bill.  If so you can shore up the defence by playing Safri and Brellier as the anchor men sat in front of the back four giving us a real protection and also allowing the full backs to push forward,  with probably Etuhu sat just in front of them (that also suggests we would need a further ball playing midfielder to fit this role as most plays wouldgo through them.)

Sat behind the target man would be Hux and Cureton, giving pace and movement from the lay offs.   The core to either of these formations is the ability to switch the ball from the middle,  and the front 3 understanding each others movements and the squad being able to cope with it instead of a 4-4-2.

Alternatively we go 4-4-2.      Lappin has to play left as it gives the team more balance, which means a front pair of cureton and hux,  whichI am not over confident would work unless we can get the team passing far better than recently,  in which case we are looking at Etuhu in the middle with either Brellier/Safri as a partner and Lappin on one flank and either Chadwick or Croft on the right.  But that midfield quartet does not really feel either defensively sound nor attackingly creative enough to work (its the core of lasts seasons so why should it change this summer?);  suggesting we do need a ball playing mdfielder either way.

Sorry for the ramblings - just typed as I thought,   but on the basis of this I would hope we buy another midfielder, a target man (and probably left flank cover) and opt for a more continental formation as that would suit our players better.     

Hucks has to play up front for me too. I always liked 442 but I’m not sure it will suit the players Grant is bringing in. 442, with what we have now, would be something like:-

Marshall

Ostemboor Doherty Shackell Drury

Chadwick/Croft Breiller Etuhu Lappin

Cureton Huckerby

It doesn’t excite me anymore and I can’t fit another striker in or Safri (If he’s staying) because I really want Etuhu in my midfield. I know a squad needs strength in depth but we all want the strongest players or even our personal favourites to start.

The Christmas Tree could look like:-

Marshall

Ostemboor Doherty Shackell Drury

Safri Etuhu Brellier

Cureton Huckerby

Czech/Dublin/Brown

I like that better. Etuhu could get forward into the spaces made by Huckerby and Cureton dragging defenders around. The fullbacks could get forward with Safri and Brellier sitting deep. But no place for Chadwick Lappin or Croft. But we would need to sign another CM for when Safri is missing. I guess you would replace Etuhu with an Ian Crook type player though? I’d quite happily get the ball forward quickly for the target man to lay off to Huckerby / Cureton. I believe that if your players are strong enough to win the game all footballers at this level are capable of playing attractive football. With Huckerby and Cureton playing in this role I expect to see more goals like the second goal at Hull where Etuhu won the ball in midfield and quickly set Huckerby away before rushing deep in the box to get on the end of Hux cross. Fast, strong and direct football! I love it!! Now I''m rambling! Roll on August [:)]

Excellent points from ZLF and Nutty. It''s got to be the Christmas Tree (4-3-2-1) for me and looking at the players PG has brought in, and continues to be linked with, I think he may have the same idea.

If you''re playing that system it''s important that your two deep lying central midfielders can not only tackle but are good on the ball. Safri is probably the best ''footballer'' at the club and from what I''ve heard about Brellier he seems to be in a similar mould. These two need to set the tempo for our game, picking the ball up off our keeper and defenders and moving it on quickly with short crisp passes. People always think of Makelele as a defensive midfielder but that''s only half of his game, look how rarely he gives the ball away. Obviously I''m not suggesting that Safri and Brellier are as good as him, but we need them to play a similar role.

The base that these two will provide should then allow the third central midfielder (Etuhu) to get forward more often and support the front three. We saw glimpses of what he was capable of last season but we need him to provide more of a goal threat on a consistent basis, hopefully the security that these two will give the side should allow this.

The next important thing with the 4-3-2-1 is to have two full backs who will get forward and provide your width as you''re playing without traditional wingers. I''m guessing that''s why we''re willing to let Colin move on. Otsemebor apparently likes to get forward, I believe he''s also played as a right sided midfielder, and Drury has seemed a lot more comfortable attacking than defending recently. If he''s not up to the job then Lappin should be given a go in this role.

For your front three you need your most advanced forward to be good at holding the ball up, for all the criticism Brown has had this seems to be the strongest part of his game. I''m guessing that Dave The Striker (sorry) could play a similar role if we sign him. The two players behind him need to have plenty of pace and movement, Hucks and Cureton seem to fit the bill perfectly to me.

So for me Safri has to stay if we''re thinking about playing this way. We''ll need someone to replace him when he''s off on ANC duty, could Spillane do the job? If so I think we should be looking to send him out on loan for a couple of months to somewhere where he can get some match practice in this role.

I think we still need to buy a commanding centre back, someone in the mould of Malky to organise our defence and probably be our captain. I don''t think Doherty or Shackell are particularly poor defenders but for whatever reason they don''t seem to work together. Add a couple more squad players, cover for right back and an attacking centre midfielder (preferably young, hungry players from the lower leagues or Scotland), and we''re champions by Christmas.....possibly.

Sorry I''ve gone on a bit, but it really is quite refreshing to talk about football and tactics for a change!

Are we all agreed that playing with wing backs is out of the question? Because I personally think we have the personnel to make it work effectively. Say below:

Marshall

Dublin/Doc/ANOther   Shackell          Drury 

Semmy                       Etuhu                   Brellier                 Lappin

Huckerby

Cureton           DaveTheStriker

Personally, I think this is the formation which utilises our players best. Huckerby gets a free role, which Chadwick could easliy do too. There is a balance. Cureton will score goals in a partnership - if that was with Hucks I just couldn''t see it working.

I think this would definitely work against the poorer sides at Carrow Road, where with the wingbacks pushing on and Etuhu running from deep, we could happily keep the opposition in their own half for 90mins.

It could also tighten up to a back 5 if necessary, and by all accounts, Brellier is very defensive minded so should come in handy there too.

But, asI''ve said before, I''m crp at Football Manager so what do I know...