Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

What if...

For the sake of argument what if Sharp is Grant''s first choice target and we have had a bid of 2m accepted by Scunthorpe. And what if Eastwood was his second choice target and then Cureton was his third choice.

What would you do? Would you keep trying to sell the club to Sharp and wait for him to make his mind up? Or would you try for the second / third choice and if they sign withdraw the offer for Sharp?

It could be that until Sharp commits somewhere a lot of other deals won''t happen. And yes, it could be we miss out on them all.

It seems to me that players and their agents call all the shots which in fairness is what would happen in any other proffession.

The first thing we need to do (and I hope we''ve already done it) is to establish whether it''s realistic to try and keep Earnie.  If not, we should try and get the best possible deal in the shortest possible time, in order to increase this summer''s transfer budget.  I don''t want to see us haggling away until the end of August over a couple of hundred thousand quid.  As other posters have pointed out, the summer is the key time for team strengthening, not January. 

Then we''ll be clearer about what we need in the way of strikers, and having more money at our disposal will increase our options too. 

What if grant only takes to 5th Sept to realise that actually is strengthening the midfield and getting competition in the defence that is needed to make us a better team,  not going the worthy route of if one striker wont work having 5 in reserve does?  

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

For the sake of argument what if Sharp is Grant''s first choice target and we have had a bid of 2m accepted by Scunthorpe. And what if Eastwood was his second choice target and then Cureton was his third choice.

What would you do? Would you keep trying to sell the club to Sharp and wait for him to make his mind up? Or would you try for the second / third choice and if they sign withdraw the offer for Sharp?

It could be that until Sharp commits somewhere a lot of other deals won''t happen. And yes, it could be we miss out on them all.

It seems to me that players and their agents call all the shots which in fairness is what would happen in any other proffession.

[/quote]

I would find a player that wants to sign for US Nutty...

Like many have pointed out we need players in during the next couple of weeks (prior to pre-season training beginning).

Sharp would not be my choice anyhow!!!

I did like what another poster had to say on another thread about the prospect of us putting in a combined bid for Marshall and Riordan....  If we were then to sell Earnie we could try and get Cureton in as well plus somebody like Oldham''s Chris Porter...

We should then also have a fair bit of money left over to bring some defenders in and a decent centre midfielder.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I would find a player that wants to sign for US Nutty...

Like many have pointed out we need players in during the next couple of weeks (prior to pre-season training beginning).

Sharp would not be my choice anyhow!!!

I did like what another poster had to say on another thread about the prospect of us putting in a combined bid for Marshall and Riordan....  If we were then to sell Earnie we could try and get Cureton in as well plus somebody like Oldham''s Chris Porter...

We should then also have a fair bit of money left over to bring some defenders in and a decent centre midfielder.

[/quote]

I''m not disagreeing with you about any of this Smudger. I have stated elsewhere that I don''t know enough about the players that could be available to suggest who we sign.

The question I was trying so feebly to ask is that IF we are doing everything possible to sign the players Grant has put on his ''A List'' aren''t we just waiting for those players and their agents to commit to a club? If they commit to another club then we have to move to Grant''s ''B List''. But in the mean time we could have lost out on those players to other clubs who had them on their ''A List'' and it''s possible we miss out both ways.

Of course we want players who really want to play for us, but most players don''t think like that anymore and they are in the hands of agents who are trying to get the best deal they can for their 10 pc.

I also agree with ZLF about the other areas in the team but my post wasn''t really about that and anyway the same situation could be occurring with our ''A List'' mid-fielder and our ''A List'' defender.

The original post was a "what if" but I think a concievable "what if".