Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

I want Hughes to Stay

Sure, he''s not our best player, far from it, but he''s probably better than colin and with his commitment and attitude, as a squad player he could be valuable.

I''d rather we shipped Colin back to holland, than let Hoozy go!

I see where you are coming from, but when i try to picture Hughes in a promotion winning side it isnt easy. Cant fault his effort but leeds'' showing an interest does tell you something.

Seriously, I''m not saying the following to be controversial or for the sake of being a  p**t, but I''d rather see Safri go than Hughes - our small squad cannot carry passengers such as Safri.

Hughes is an average footballer at best, but unlike Safri he can at least be relied upon to turn out week in week out.

Ultimately I''d prefer to rid of both of ''em, Safri for a similar price, and spend the 600k on financing the signings/wages of both Rae & Hendrie.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

i cant help but like Hughesy now tho!

[/quote]

Can I just ask why? Bloody hell, we''ve had plenty of players who can run around and clap their hands in the past, but they haven''t got this sudden hero worship that Hughes seems to have been given recently.

The problem with Hughes is not that he is awful in positioning or passing, though he is, it is that he is just so inconsistent - about one pass in five is acceptable, one in ten is good and about one in twenty is excellent.but there''s so much rubbish in between.No one doubts his commitment or his attitude towards the crowd, but he is just not good enough on a consistent basis, and there seem few signs of improvement.  At right back Cave-Brown is probably better and in the midfield Spillane better. He is not going to get much of a look in at right back, if Otsemobor remains fit, or left back if Drury and Lapin are fit, and in the midfield we badly need players who can control the ball and pass it efficiently.If we can get £200k or £300k now, rather than nothing in twelve months time, I think that we should take it!

I agree, I hope Hughes stays. He put in a number of impressive performance last season, e.g. against Ipswich at home and Chelsea away.

I think we''re all in agreement that he isnt good enough to be apart of a promotion winning starting line up, but he does make a very valuable squad player. If called upon to play in the odd match, he has proven that he can do a good job.

Although if the club does decide to sell him, I think we should be aiming at making our money originally spent on the player back, around the £500k mark.  

Hmm? difficult this.

On one hand, I love Hughes to bits, there''s just something likeable about the bloke. On the other hand, as someone else has said, I can''t see him in any Championship title winning side.

Maybe sadly, a fresh start would be best for him.

One scenario I do fear however is that we swap him with a Leeds player.............there''s a reason they got relegated you know!.

Also it would mean our already too small squad getting even smaller.

Hmm indeed!.

My reasons:

* Anyone could easily have rolled over and just taken there money sitting in the reserves.Psychologically he took a battering.Any one who plays football knows what its like to make a mistake. Those people that play or have played at a high-ish level, know what its like to have more than 1 man and his dog shouting abuse at them. Its TOUGH.

*His determination and attitude are an example for all. Who else would have stuck at it like him?

*He has helped out at LB,RB and CM. He is prepared to do anything for the team. Who else would be prepared to hang themselves by volunteering to play out of position at LB?

*His performances at RB were solid. Yes he made a few mistakes but who doesnt? He has also turned some cracking performances in. Notably Scum at home. He was up against a player who tore us apart at there gaff (Roberts) He had him in his pocket.

*His distribution isnt great (something i think we all agree on) but he never hides.

*He continued to clap the fans when he easily could have did another hand signal.I would have!

*There was not a more improved player in the 2nd half of the season.

No Hughes is not the type of player that will greatly improve this club, but he is the type of squad player that has benefited us ATM.

Alex....im not expecting to change your views as you clearly wont budge but credit has to be given where its due.

*His performances at RB were solid. Yes he made a few mistakes but who doesnt? He has also turned some cracking performances in. Notably Scum at home.

Wasn''t Hughes playing at RB because we had run out of options?  We''ve got Otsemobor coming in this season.

Totally agree!Hughes done a great job at Right back last season, I would rather see the back of Drury and Safri than Hughes! Drury makes far more mistakes at left back and has become a complete liability!

Great guy (seriously, a top, top bloke), performs with his heart, if not his feet. But I take what I think is the pragmatic view shared by many; It would be a shame that someone with his heart left the Club, and I think he''d be the perfect signing to get you out of League One - but not the signing to get you out of the Championship.  I actually think he''ll make a fine coach.

Personally I''m not a great fan of Andy Hughes. I think he lacks the quality needed to hold down a regular first team place at Norwich BUT as a squad member Hughes is invaluable. We have a very small squad at the moment and we need players with the versatility of Hughes to come in and give 110% when it''s really needed. Something I believe Hughes has always given whether it''s in Centre Mid, Wide Right or at Right Back...We should be getting numbers in before we decide whether we can afford to let Hughes go!

I''m half-expecting a thread from 1stWiz detailing how this is a false story designed to garner sympathy for Hughes...

I can''t believe people want Andy Hughes to stay . He is just not good enough.

People wheel out this good game or that mediocre performance, but the bottom line is that he is not good enough for a team that wants to be anywhere near the top of this division.

Sure, he tries hard, but then so would all of us on this message board. Being keen isn''t enough, I''m afraid.

I agree that there are other players at our club who also are not very good, but that is no excuse for keeping Hughes.

Hughes was brought in by Worthy to be his mouth piece on the field - only problem was his performances didn''t match his mouth. He''s a good guy but the first few months at this club totally shattered any composure he had, and I think we''ve been lucky that his sheer determination has seen him through. He knows he''s only a couple of bad performances away from being booed again by certain idiots and Leeds would be a good place for him - ''cos they really are a lazy-arsed team who need a kick up the backside. If he goes, good luck to him, ''cos he showed some of the p*icks in our stands just what it takes to be an honest and decent bloke.

[quote user="Salopian"]The problem with Hughes is not that he is awful in positioning or passing, though he is, it is that he is just so inconsistent - about one pass in five is acceptable, one in ten is good and about one in twenty is excellent.but there''s so much rubbish in between.

No one doubts his commitment or his attitude towards the crowd, but he is just not good enough on a consistent basis, and there seem few signs of improvement.  At right back Cave-Brown is probably better and in the midfield Spillane better. He is not going to get much of a look in at right back, if Otsemobor remains fit, or left back if Drury and Lapin are fit, and in the midfield we badly need players who can control the ball and pass it efficiently.

If we can get £200k or £300k now, rather than nothing in twelve months time, I think that we should take it!
[/quote]

You are undoubtedly right. Andy Hughes is a fighter but a poor footballer. Every time he does something good he makes a dreadful pass or misses a tackle and undoes all the good stuff. Anyone that thinks we will get £300K for him is an optimist, I hope you are right and bring on the money,

I am amazed that people wany him to stay, people that have ambition for the club, come on he is a 1st Division player at best, there are hundreds of players out there who can give 110% but surely we want more than that!  

I hold my hands up, when he was signed and first played I cringed.  What on earth was this club coming to?  He could barely pass a ball.  He was ridiculed and became the new Daryl Sutch overnight.  But gradually he won us over.  No, he will never be the greatest techical player, he''s an average one, but where he does score highly is his never say die attitude.  As many have mentioned, his performance against Ipswich was inspiring and courageous.  If only some others had shown this sort of fight and determination from the start of the season.  I know this is a personal plea, but don''t go Hoozey, you have been an inspiration to us all and if I can take one thing from the wrecks of last season, it''s you playing with such passion in our shirt.  A lesson some of us need to re-learn.  No, Andy Hughes alone won''t win the Championship, but he will play a part in our revival. 

Off field he''s a very likeable person and with the amount of young players in the squad, together with Dion and Hucks, Andy Hughes will play a big part in filling the gap created by our former manager in getting rid of the heart and soul of the club in Iwan Roberts and Malky MacKay. This team needs serious strengthening in number and ability, but already we have some real heart and passion for playing for the badge.  Andy Hughes must stay.

Colins a decent player and i cant see what he did to get droped on the first place.. id sell Hughes, we have colin and Semmy and Hughes is awful in midfield.

jas :)

[quote user="Mr_Chimp"]I''m half-expecting a thread from 1stWiz detailing how this is a false story designed to garner sympathy for Hughes...
[/quote]

Well you''re going to be dissapointed Chimp!.

Are you really incapable of reading threads properly?, check on this one for starters, I, like you, think/know that Andy''s a top bloke.

If he stays I''ll be delighted for him....and us. If he goes, unlike many who have left us, I would wish him all the best.

Hughes has always been up there with Hucks in my favorite City players list.

On that, I''ve NEVER changed my mind!.[;)]

Aye, ''twas merely a joke my man.  Conspiracies abound with reports of incoming players are treated with suspicion, but equally reliable reports of outgoings are read as gospel.

I would like to see him sold if possible.  He is on a big wage, has only a year of his contract to go, and is still not good enough for the first XI (even though he seems to be in it week in week out).

I would like to see him go just because Peter Grant seems to want to pick him every week, even though he isn''t very good and results remain poor.  Then again you can tell how far our squad has fallen with so many advocating such a limited individual staying.

I hold muy hands up and will admit he has improved at right back of recent times, but we need to put these appalling 3 years behind us, and players like Hughes, Doherty and previously Bobinson are the type of players we need to get rid of in order to make a fresh start.  If not I have no doubt we will still be seeing Hughes Donk and co week in week out just like this awful season...

Hoozy should definately stay.  A committed player who has shown recently that he can also be a good player.  Anyone who was at Chelsea saw how he controlled Robben and others for the whole game.  A legend in the making?

[quote user="Dicky"]Hoozy should definately stay.  A committed player who has shown recently that he can also be a good player.  Anyone who was at Chelsea saw how he controlled Robben and others for the whole game.  A legend in the making?[/quote]

Yeah - he controlled Robben and the others so effectively "for the whole game" that we only lost 4-0.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Hmm? difficult this.

On one hand, I love Hughes to bits, there''s just something likeable about the bloke. On the other hand, as someone else has said, I can''t see him in any Championship title winning side.

Maybe sadly, a fresh start would be best for him.

One scenario I do fear however is that we swap him with a Leeds player.............there''s a reason they got relegated you know!.

Also it would mean our already too small squad getting even smaller.

Hmm indeed!.

[/quote]

Hughes for Kevin Nicholls would be a good deal surely???

Honestly... some of you lot wonder why people take the pi$$ out of you???

Hughes is awful... always has been and always will be...

I have no qualms in saying that... and say good riddance to the bloke when we finally get rid of him...

I am a nice bloke... but I am not a Doctor or a website devloper and don''t profess to be either of those things...

Andy Hughes is clearly somebody with very limited ability who never should of made it as a professsional footballer and he should hang his head in shame each week as he picks up his over-inflated salary...

What''s more he is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL... how can anybody on here applaud him for getting involved in a scuffle with fans (who pay their money to see such a useless prick run around the pitch lost each week)?

Norwich should of sent him away on a free transfer immediately after that event... players like him should never pull on a City shirt ever again!!!

[quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="can u sit down please"]

i cant help but like Hughesy now tho!

[/quote]

Can I just ask why? Bloody hell, we''ve had plenty of players who can run around and clap their hands in the past, but they haven''t got this sudden hero worship that Hughes seems to have been given recently.

[/quote]holt?and anyway huhges has got the praise cos he wasshird or fourt best player in the second halfof the seasoni want huhges to stay

[quote user="Smudger"]=

Andy Hughes is clearly somebody with very limited ability who never should of made it as a professsional footballer and he should hang his head in shame each week as he picks up his over-inflated salary

[/quote]what is his salery?

[quote user="Smudger"]

Honestly... some of you lot wonder why people take the pi$$ out of you???

Hughes is awful... always has been and always will be...

I have no qualms in saying that... and say good riddance to the bloke when we finally get rid of him...

I am a nice bloke... but I am not a Doctor or a website devloper and don''t profess to be either of those things...

Andy Hughes is clearly somebody with very limited ability who never should of made it as a professsional footballer and he should hang his head in shame each week as he picks up his over-inflated salary...

What''s more he is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL... how can anybody on here applaud him for getting involved in a scuffle with fans (who pay their money to see such a useless prick run around the pitch lost each week)?

Norwich should of sent him away on a free transfer immediately after that event... players like him should never pull on a City shirt ever again!!!

[/quote]

How do you know he''s an awful player when you never watch city play?

Agree 100% with the rest though.