Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

Jurgen Colin ??

What about trying Colin out at Centre Half...surely he must be better than the Doc...  when we first signed him, it was mentioned that he was a centre/right back.  His defensive qualities have never been in question... his needed improvement area was always in attack as a full back.  He does have the pedigree, skills and raw talents to become an outstanding footballer.  I have never seen him actually make any howling mistakes...has anyone else?

your thoughts please...

I''ve been thinking along this lines - his main weakness (imo) was that he doesn''t get forward quickly enough as a ''wing back''. I think he could do a very solid job as centre back!

I agree, I saw him a couple of times before he was dropped and I thought he was pretty good, seemed to get forward and come past Croft well.  I''m not sure what changed though to lead to his dropping.  Hopefully he''ll be given a chance to regain his spot in the pre-season.  At centre-half, the dillema all season seemed to be whether to play Dion Dublin there (not conceed as many goals but don''t score) or have Dion up front (conceed goals but score), 6 of one, half a dozen of the other!  The problem with the Doherty and Shackell partnership is that neither of them is a leader and whenever one of them plays with Dublin things are alot better, however this is only half the problem, as I beleive that alot of our defensive troubles starts in the midfield.OTBC!Chunky

Ah, the forgotten man. He''ll probably be on his way if Hooze stays, I would''ve thought.

Trying him out at centre half could be a good idea though I suppose, but only if we don''t get anybody else in for that position. If it doesn''t work out, we could always sell him in January and get some moolah for him.

he played right back in Holland.. give him a go there.

Flemmo was never the biggest of center halfs yet in his prime for us was excellent.

jas :)

I''ve never understood this viewpoint about Colin.He appears to have been dropped for not being an aggressively attacking right wing back, but considering the standard pairing of Shacks and Doc, do you really think we want to be advocating the full back disappears down the wing to leave them to it???Colin does exactly what I want a defender to do, and that''s obviosuly - DEFEND.If we had a midfield that was creatively passing the ball about between them, we wouldn''t need to be looking at whether or not the full backs attack as well.Drury is hardly setting the league alight with his ''wing-back'' play, yet where''s the comments of a similar nature about him?Colin''s stature does not make him an ideal selection to consider as a centre half in my opinion.I actually think the combination of having him and Otsemobor will in the squad will prove extremely beneficial as we now have the flexibility to play in different styles depending on the opposition. We have the lead and want to set up shop, bring Colin on, we want to play defensively from the start, give Colin the nod and bring Otsemobor on if required.Plus the competition is likely to do them both good.

Yeah, I kinda missed what Colin was meant to have done wrong to get dropped without trace. I too heard he played a more central defensive role earlier in his career, which made it all the more puzzling he wasn''t given a try there as injuries mounted up towards the end of the season.I certainly think he''s an important part of the squad as things stand, if we sign this Crewe lad only to get rid of Colin thats 1 in 1 out, no help at all to the depth of the squad overall.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

he played right back in Holland.. give him a go there.

Flemmo was never the biggest of center halfs yet in his prime for us was excellent.

[/quote]

whoops.. i meant Center back!

This might be getting a bit boring, but I was at a loss why Grant dropped him for Hughes too. The only reason I can guess at is that Grant wanted Hughes'' passionate approach, but didn''t dare pick him in midfield because he''s cr*p.I think once Colin had been out for a couple of games his confidence took a knock too, especially since he was playing well from what I could see.

Jurgen is ok. But as others have said, you really do need strength, height, and strong heading ability in this league. Colin doesn''t quite fit the bill there. But he is a reasonable full back, and certainly improved last season.  I suspect he will find himself on the subs bench again if he stays.

i''ve heard he''s had personal issues (not marital or ne thing bad,) i don''t want to broadcast it on the board in case i''m wrong and because it''s kind of violating his privacy but if what i''ve heard is right the club have been understanding that he has needed to be with his family. 

its well known that Jurgen has a disabled Son... he went all the way up to Burnley away last season, was told he was going to play then got a call to say he had to come back to Norwich to be with his son...

the club have been very supportive of Jurgen and his family and rightly so.

A good right back who with some encouragement (not from day one being waved back by Worthington and Fleming every time he crossed the halfway line) could show attacking flair.  But a centreback?  Come on, get real.

[quote user="USA Canary"]

What about trying Colin out at Centre Half...surely he must be better than the Doc...  when we first signed him, it was mentioned that he was a centre/right back.  His defensive qualities have never been in question... his needed improvement area was always in attack as a full back.  He does have the pedigree, skills and raw talents to become an outstanding footballer.  I have never seen him actually make any howling mistakes...has anyone else?

your thoughts please...

[/quote]

A good right back who with some encouragement (not from day one being waved back by Worthington and Fleming every time he crossed the halfway line) could show attacking flair.  But a centreback?  Come on, get real.

[quote user="USA Canary"]

your thoughts please...

[/quote]