Sign in to follow this  
GPB

The purpose of message boards?

Debate and information. That''s my opinion. Bang a drum if you like but don''t lose the thread of the particular subject being discussed.

Take the thread below, "how many non-footballing staff do we really need"? which rasies a stats-based question. So far so good. A couple of decent repsonses and then we stray down the depressingly dull avenues of a) repeating what each other says over and over again and b) moving away from the original point , or repeating the answer or even the flippin'' question!!!

Mystic begins. 7rew enters and the ever present Blah gets in and we''re off. Ignoring Megsons flippant approach chunky bly and Alex chime in. A good promising debate about what info is included is underway. By the end of page 1 we are still on course.

Then we start to argue about the commitment of the board by supporting the non-footballing side (another issue altogether) and then shack attack says people that read the accounts are boring. A genius post from yours truly is completely ignored as the argument is now well under way, as Megson realises that we don''t have 71 players, Mello hits the front with some crack at Shack and BB says we should talk about football.(BB you could actually stick that on all of the posts if you think it will help) 

BB then goes on to make the same point as I did a few posts ago about company cars.

The point is then completely lost as posters continually cut and paste previous comments and argue with them.

Result? A three page post, which ends up repeating itself.  Shack finaly gets down to some serious typing by asking the same damn question (what constitutes non-playing staff?) that has been asked three times already, and we are no further forward...blimey.....I''m off for a lay down.

[quote user="GPB"]

Debate and information. That''s my opinion. Bang a drum if you like but don''t lose the thread of the particular subject being discussed.

Take the thread below, "how many non-footballing staff do we really need"? which rasies a stats-based question. So far so good. A couple of decent repsonses and then we stray down the depressingly dull avenues of a) repeating what each other says over and over again and b) moving away from the original point , or repeating the answer or even the flippin'' question!!!

Mystic begins. 7rew enters and the ever present Blah gets in and we''re off. Ignoring Megsons flippant approach chunky bly and Alex chime in. A good promising debate about what info is included is underway. By the end of page 1 we are still on course.

Then we start to argue about the commitment of the board by supporting the non-footballing side (another issue altogether) and then shack attack says people that read the accounts are boring. A genius post from yours truly is completely ignored as the argument is now well under way, as Megson realises that we don''t have 71 players, Mello hits the front with some crack at Shack and BB says we should talk about football.(BB you could actually stick that on all of the posts if you think it will help) 

BB then goes on to make the same point as I did a few posts ago about company cars.

The point is then completely lost as posters continually cut and paste previous comments and argue with them.

Result? A three page post, which ends up repeating itself.  Shack finaly gets down to some serious typing by asking the same damn question (what constitutes non-playing staff?) that has been asked three times already, and we are no further forward...blimey.....I''m off for a lay down.

[/quote]

Perhaps you could start providing commentary and round ups of the day''s best threads - you could have a highlights bulletin at 10.30 pm. I enjoyed reading that - good way to fill the close season?[:D] [:D]   

[quote user="GPB"]

[/quote]

What a true reflection, it''s funny, and an excellent observation Mr Paddon''s Beard.[Y]

Now, what actually constitutes non-playing staff? 

[quote user="GPB"]

[/quote]

A fine match report GPB, all that is missing is player ratings (although considering my poor performance at the end perhaps I should be grateful for this oversight!).

I didn''t actually say that all people who read the accounts are boring, but I''ll allow you a little artistic license.

All in all a fantastic piece of reporting although I can''t help thinking that something''s missing and that some question remains unanswered!?

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

I didn''t actually say that all people who read the accounts are boring, but I''ll allow you a little artistic license.

[/quote]

I think that people who continually and exclusively post about the accounts are really interesting [8-|] and I bet they spent their younger days counting the sixpences in their piggy banks and playing monopoly while we was using jumpers for goalposts and playing subuteo [:P]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

I think that people who continually and exclusively post about the accounts are really interesting [8-|] and I bet they spent their younger days counting the sixpences in their piggy banks and playing monopoly while we was using jumpers for goalposts and playing subuteo [:P]

[/quote]

Aaaah, whilst I was tearing round the back garden pretending to be Diego Maradona, they were sitting in their rooms counting their monopoly money and pretending to be Robin-Leigh Pemberton.....possibly.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Aaaah, whilst I was tearing round the back garden pretending to be Diego Maradona, they were sitting in their rooms counting their monopoly money and pretending to be Robin-Leigh Pemberton.....possibly.

[/quote]

You really had a garden and not a back street to play in - and pretended you were Madonna? Didn''t your stilleto shoes damage the lawn - and did you ever catch your sparklin'' leotard on the rose bushes whilst singin'' "Livin'' in the material world" and "Shacka don''t preach" at the top of your ''my ba**s haven''t dropped yet'' falsetto voice?

I was actually given monopoly dosh by my ''prudent'' parents as pocket money.......I saved it all up, bought a hotel, and put it between the Barclay and the Jarrold Stands. I also own the battleship on the Wensum and have a lickle silver metal Terrier scotty doggie as a personal pet, I wear a silver top hat, and my car is the sporty silver one that just sits in the club car park and hasn''t actually got an engine.

I''ve also recently purchased the waterworks, Norwich train station, two riverside bachelor apartments that look like 2 giant red dice/die - and have renamed the Lava and Ignite nightclubs ''Chance'' and ''Community Chest''...........I luvs Monopoly I do![8-|]

So don''t knock it![:|]

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You really had a garden and not a back street to play in - and pretended you were Madonna? Didn''t your stilleto shoes damage the lawn - and did you ever catch your sparklin'' leotard on the rose bushes whilst singin'' "Livin'' in the material world" and "Shacka don''t preach" at the top of your ''my ba**s haven''t dropped yet'' falsetto voice?

I was actually given monopoly dosh by my ''prudent'' parents as pocket money.......I saved it all up, bought a hotel, and put it between the Barclay and the Jarrold Stands. I also own the battleship on the Wensum and have a lickle silver metal Terrier scotty doggie as a personal pet, I wear a silver top hat, and my car is the sporty silver one that just sits in the club car park and hasn''t actually got an engine.

I''ve also recently purchased the waterworks, Norwich train station, two riverside bachelor apartments that look like 2 giant red dice/die - and have renamed the Lava and Ignite nightclubs ''Chance'' and ''Community Chest''...........I luvs Monopoly I do![8-|]

[/quote]

Mello,

When you post things like this you are my favourite poster by a country mile.

Just thought I''d tell you that.........as you''re obviously so very rich!

The arguementative nature of posters does often trigger straying off topic when "baited" by another

A personal gripe is the continuos & over used "Quote" feature on the Pink Un, i wish they woudl disable, it''s very obvious who you are replying to without the need for the elongated blue screen quote clogging up my screem

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]This is the real purpose of this message board - to brighten everyone''s day.Definitely the Post of the (off) Season.

I rarely contribute on this site now due to my name being used on party nights at my house when guests get hold of my computer (strange name for it!) and post outrageous comments on this board - embarrasing. Note to the wife ''please stop me drinking to oblivion, thankyou''

I am, however, a regular visitor here and Mello, you are the best poster on here by a country mile. I sit in the Barclay Upper with characters like the beard of graham paddon (all lower case, just to annoy him) All have similar humour which makes visits to The Carra most enjoyable, even though pitch performances are usually sh.... er not good!

Keep going mate. I''m sure theres a comedy script in you somewhere!

Just thought - This post is an example of what GPD is complaining about. Oh joy!

On the ''purpose of message boards'' theme I was fascinated to see that Scunthorpe FC have offically stopped the message board on their official web site!

"The club has decided to permanently close the forum as it no longer considers it to be constructive and serves no useful purpose"

A few of the posters on this site may need to watch out!

OTBC