Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

One way to be cleverer.

One way to be cleverer than the rest is not to go for Sharpe, Eastwood etc who have high profiles, recent performance and expectations beyond what we offer at present..........and go for the next Sharpe, the next Eastwood etc...........because they are out there waiting to be discovered by the astutest clubs. Its who spots them first before they become high profile that counts.

After all who had heard much of David Cross, for example, before he was unveiled to the crowd at Carrow Road.

OTBC

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]that''s an interesting idea although the usual crowd would inevitably accuse the board of lacking ambition and going for the cheap option.[/quote]

I think you are right to a point. Go on any reasonably-sized clubs message boards and if they sign someone relatively unknown you read the same stuff. But the main problem we have had in the past two seasons has been lack of NUMBERS-almost to the point of struggling to put out a full team of professionals at times. In that context if we sign say 6 "unknowns" to provide cover they could be very useful indeed.

The trouble is that if a Llewelyn/Jarvis/Henderson had come through at a smaller club and scored a few goals at 18 they probably would have slapped a £500k+ price tag on them straight away. Raw talent doesn`t always produce a decent professional player unfortunately.

Bly - A lot of people had heard of David Cross when we signed him in 1971. He cost us £40,000 plus Malcolm Darling at a time when I think the British record fee was still the £200,000 that Spurs paid West Ham for Martin Peters. That was quite a transfer fee in those days but I agree it proved to be a very good piece of business.

[quote user="Grando"]Fine, but who are they!?[/quote]

That''s Grant''s and Gunn''s job.

That''s why they get paid so well.

Steve Coppell earns his money.

Let''s see if they can.

OTBC

[quote user="Grando"]Fine, but who are they!?[/quote]

well Kevin doyle was a part time footballer in Ireland when Reading snapped him up.

Scouts are meant to do their job.. we dont know who these players are.. the scouts Should!

jas :)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Bly - A lot of people had heard of David Cross when we signed him in 1971. He cost us £40,000 plus Malcolm Darling at a time when I think the British record fee was still the £200,000 that Spurs paid West Ham for Martin Peters. That was quite a transfer fee in those days but I agree it proved to be a very good piece of business.

[/quote]

Nutty.

Quote from Malcolm Robertson on Rick Waghorn''s website.

Malcolm Robertson - City in sore need of someone to light the blue touchpaper just like Marvellous Martin did.
Mon 25 Sep 06

I can still recall the tannoy announcement at the end of a Carrow Road League Cup tie informing us that: ‘Tonight Norwich City have paid a club record fee of £40,000 for Rochdale’s David Cross…..’ Who? We’d never heard of him. There hadn’t been a whisper in the Press...

And according to my research the British record transfer fee in 1971 was 220,000 pounds that Arsenal paid Everton for the late Alan Ball.

I think we paid 50,000 pounds for Martin Peters in 1975.

Different times, and just an example of what we are missing.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty.

Malcolm Robertson - City in sore need of someone to light the blue touchpaper just like Marvellous Martin did.
Mon 25 Sep 06

I can still recall the tannoy announcement at the end of a Carrow Road League Cup tie informing us that: ‘Tonight Norwich City have paid a club record fee of £40,000 for Rochdale’s David Cross…..’ Who? We’d never heard of him. There hadn’t been a whisper in the Press...

And according to my research the British record transfer fee in 1971 was 220,000 pounds that Arsenal paid Everton for the late Alan Ball.

OTBC

[/quote]

Bly - I think the late great Alan Ball signed for Arsenal a couple of months after we signed David Cross.

David Cross had scored 21 goals in 59 games for Rochdale. He scored in their 2-1 F A Cup defeat of Coventry the previous season. People would have heard of him because that was a big cup upset in the day. He played alongside Alf Arrowsmith at the time. (Remember him Bly?) I reckon you and Malcolm Robertson must''ve been playin'' Monopoly that day [;)]

You''re right though Bly. It was different times. We signed Cross in the October after he had made a prolific start to the season with Rochdale. Clubs can''t do that now because of the transfer window.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty.

Mon 25 Sep 06

OTBC

[/quote]

Bly - I think the late great Alan Ball signed for Arsenal a couple of months after we signed David Cross.

David Cross had scored 21 goals in 59 games for Rochdale. He scored in their 2-1 F A Cup defeat of Coventry the previous season. People would have heard of him because that was a big cup upset in the day. He played alongside Alf Arrowsmith at the time. (Remember him Bly?) I reckon you and Malcolm Robertson must''ve been playin'' Monopoly that day [;)]

You''re right though Bly. It was different times. We signed Cross in the October after he had made a prolific start to the season with Rochdale. Clubs can''t do that now because of the transfer window.

[/quote]

Nutty.

I suspect Malcolm reported the match that night, so.......monoploy?

I remember the announcement as clear as day. It was major.........and of course you remember what happened thereafter.

I reckon you must have forgotten that you had inside info even in those days, Nutty.........you know, cousins and old family shares and so on....[H]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty.

Mon 25 Sep 06

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nutty.

I suspect Malcolm reported the match that night, so.......monoploy?

I remember the announcement as clear as day. It was major.........and of course you remember what happened thereafter.

I reckon you must have forgotten that you had inside info even in those days, Nutty.........you know, cousins and old family shares and so on....[H]

OTBC

[/quote]

Bly

So we agree the British record transfer fee at the time was the Â£200,000 Spurs paid for Martin Peters?

We agree that David Cross was a good signing even though he was record fee for us?

We agree that you had never heard of him but that doesn''t mean he was unknown?

We agree that times have changed now and signings like that don''t happen anymore (Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec)?

If not Delia''s then whose cousin am I?????????

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]that''s an interesting idea although the usual crowd would inevitably accuse the board of lacking ambition and going for the cheap option.[/quote]

Who is "the usual crowd"?

Not having been alive at the time I can''t speak from experience. But  here is my take on what you have been saying:

However what happened was that we signed a striker from Rotherham (a

club in division 3) that had had a blistering start to the season. We

paid a fee of £40,000, (20% of the british transfer record), we were in

division 2 at the time.

So if we update that to modern times it would be us signing in january

(with transfer windows) a player that had had a blistering start of the

season at a club in the league one level below us.  The British

transfer record is now £30,000,000 + so a similar % fee would be

£6,000,000. 

This is not too far away from when we signed Dean Ashton (fee is quite

different but the variance of transfer fees is much larger now). 

Ashton would be a player with similar standing as David Cross. 

The difference you will say is people had heard of Ashton, but that is

more to do with the times - now players get a higher profile when they

make the same splash in lower leagues.  Billy Sharp would have had

a similar season at the same level as Cross was having when signed and

everyone has heard of him.

Basically I''m saying finding unknown players is harder now as with the internet more players have been heard of.

Two words, Chris Martin

If he isn''t one for the future, then I don''t know who is.... but i do agree that we could be targetting lower league prospects, think of Knightly guy at Wolves.

What ever happened to that rumour about that 6''5 defender. What was his name, something like Michael Matthew King or something. I imagine the canaries have there eyes about

[quote user="Snakepit Boy"]

[/quote]

The ultra negative posters who spread thier doom & gloom around this message board! 

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Snakepit Boy"]

[/quote]

The ultra negative posters who spread thier doom & gloom around this message board! 

[/quote]

Thankfully, you''re a bundle of chuckles.......[:|]