Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

The Mandaric/Allen strategy. Interesting.

The Mandaric/Allen strategy is to buy Leicesters'' way into the prem by using available funds on salaries rather than transfer fees.

Mandaric has given boss Martin Allen £8m to spend but wants most of that to go on wages rather than transfer fees (Daily Mirror).

Interesting, eh? But what does it all mean for their competitors, including us?

Is this a case of them being ''cleverer than the rest''?

OTBC

Isn''t this just the natural progression caused as a result of the Bosman ruling? Have a look here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/6711229.stm (it''s the transfers to date in this period) I know these are predominantly lower league transfers but the pattern is quite obvious. The majority of transfers are "free" with the club offering inflated wage packets and other enticements to the player. A look at any of the last few seasons transfer records shows a similar pattern in all leagues.

And this is the big problem with football and the reason why it is spiralling downwards.....

In the "old" days club A bought a player from club B. Club B then used some of the money to replace the player, often pulling a player up from a lower league and then club C would repeat the cycle and the original transfer fee was thus redistributed amongst several clubs and throughout the league.

With todays player power there is often no transfer fee for club B to receive and redistribute since the money is rolled into an enticing signing on package for the player and the money which was formerly recycled through several tiers of the league is now taken out at the highest level.

The strategy you describe worked well for clubs like Birmingham and Portsmouth in the past, these clubs paid Prem size wages in the Championship for a while since they targeted high profile players who they could sign for next to nothing due to high wage demands. (Our very own Steve Bruce would be a prime example, Man Utd Captain one year, playing for Blues the next but his wages didn''t suffer much if at all).

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

The Mandaric/Allen strategy is to buy Leicesters'' way into the prem by using available funds on salaries rather than transfer fees.

Mandaric has given boss Martin Allen £8m to spend but wants most of that to go on wages rather than transfer fees (Daily Mirror).

Interesting, eh? But what does it all mean for their competitors, including us?

Is this a case of them being ''cleverer than the rest''?

OTBC

[/quote]

They will have been "cleverer" if they get promoted, if they don''t it could prove to be monumental mistake.

The signings so far have been decent but not amazing and I fail to see any value in these players whereby Leicester could recoup some of that £8m should they need too.  If I was a Leicester fan I would be hoping they spend a couple of million on youngster with value instead of lots of 30 somethings looking for a last big pay out.

There seems to be a gulf not only between clubs in the Premiership and Championship due to TV money, but also between the players. Is there a term "yo-yo player" yet, for players who go from clubs at the bottom end of the Premiership to the top of the Championship? Earnshaw would be a prime example.

Anyway my point Championship clubs (who have run out of parachute money) can only afford to pay these players wages and not the wages and a signing on fee. Players from lower leagues (Sharp) can expect a big transfer fee, but I guess will command affordable (but very good!) Championship wages.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

They will have been "cleverer" if they get promoted, if they don''t it could prove to be monumental mistake.

The signings so far have been decent but not amazing and I fail to see any value in these players whereby Leicester could recoup some of that £8m should they need too.  If I was a Leicester fan I would be hoping they spend a couple of million on youngster with value instead of lots of 30 somethings looking for a last big pay out.

[/quote]

Considering they were worse than us last season they certainly needed some new players.  I feel they have signed good players at this level and strengthened a very weak squad.  I agree tho, it is always good to be signing potentially very good youngsters as well.