Sign in to follow this  
E I E I E I O

Yet again we lose on penalties!

First I would like to say well done to the U21 lads who were robbed by the dutch in the semi!The equaliser was scored while we had a man down for under a minute!Then there keeper during the epic penalty shoot out dives off the line by 5 feet for every penalty! This is becoming quite regular amongst cheating goalies! Pepe Reyna has a great record in shoot-outs due to his constant breach of this rule.However:We are playing the dutch! the only country that can even get close to our abysmal penalty record and yet despite scoring 12 penalties we still cant win!We are absolutely shocking at this aspect of the game and until we sort it out we will never win anything! I would like to say how well the lads honoured themselves unlike the Dutch who moaned, cheated and even had the manager on the pitch (Against the rules) to get one of our injured players to take a penalty!What can we do to improve our stat and turn our awful record around?

Another exit from a tournament by England and what a surprise, it''s all down to cheating Johnny Foreigner!

Were you complaining about England''s second goal against Serbia? What goes around comes around I''m afraid. Oh and it was Stuart Pearce who alerted the officials to the fact that Steven Taylor had to take a penalty, he said so in his post match interview.

We played very well but lost on penalties, again, why can''t we just accept that rather than bleating about some imagined injustice. It happens every time England get knocked out, sooner or later we''re going to have to accept the truth.

Good to see them getting experience at getting knocked out on penalties in a semi-final!

Would be good to get a few classy Dutch midifielders in - it''s only across the water. Surely KLM would be up for a bit of sponsorship / free flights?

Nice to see that their penalty practice at Carrow Road did the trick for them.

When was the last time the U21 or full England team won a penalty shootout? Spain in Euro 96?

How many of you actually watched the shoot-out?  For the most part, our penalties were excellent; there were only two that I would say were poor penalties - the others that were missed were down to the keeper guessing the right way, something that Carson noticeably failed to do.  After all, when is the last time you can remember an England side looking confident in a penalty shoot-out?  Reo-Coker and Derbyshire aside they all looked confident. 

It was simply unlucky, nothing more, nothing less.

hang on guys they did score 12 penalties. when wast the last time an england team score 5?b in any other match they would have won the penalties. having said that i am half dutch so i''m not fussed hahaha.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

When was the last time the U21 or full England team won a penalty shootout? Spain in Euro 96?

[/quote]

The funny thing about that though was that out of the 5 penalty takers who first stepped up for England only one of them took a penalty at Carrow Road! The other 4 were either suspended, injured or benched!

This was not a normal ''England go out on penalties'' story. The boys took them with guts and confidence - unlike the shameful full international players. Unfortunately one team has to lose on the penalty shoot out and last night it was us. England should maybe stop playing for penalties in future and go hell for leather to clinch an equaliser.

Bad management from Stuart Pearce. He took our attacking outlets off and then kindly invited the Dutch to attack us, with us defending deeper and deeper.

Then when the Dutch goal finally came we had nothing to go forward with to find another goal.

Trying to sit on a 1-0 lead is always very stupid.

[quote user="GJP"]

Bad management from Stuart Pearce. He took our attacking outlets off and then kindly invited the Dutch to attack us, with us defending deeper and deeper.

Then when the Dutch goal finally came we had nothing to go forward with to find another goal.

Trying to sit on a 1-0 lead is always very stupid.

[/quote]

Agreed GJP. The same tactics almost did us in the Italy match too.

But Pearce did do well on the penalty preparation side. The technique and confidence were much better than usual for an England team.

The lads also seemed to really want to play (for him?) which has to be to his credit.

Overall though, his tactical approach would for me rule him out of the U-21 job on a permanent basis.

Maybe they should just ask him to hold on until Peter Taylor gets sacked again. Peter is just cut out for the U-21 job.

OTBC

[quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"][quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[/quote]

The funny thing about that though was that out of the 5 penalty takers who first stepped up for England only one of them took a penalty at Carrow Road! The other 4 were either suspended, injured or benched!

This was not a normal ''England go out on penalties'' story. The boys took them with guts and confidence - unlike the shameful full international players. Unfortunately one team has to lose on the penalty shoot out and last night it was us. England should maybe stop playing for penalties in future and go hell for leather to clinch an equaliser.

[/quote]

Agreed. If a side misses a couple of the initial 5 there may be room for criticism.

When you get to this sort of score its simply the fact that someone has to lose!

Full credit to the lads.