Sign in to follow this  
Graham Humphrey

Do we really need Cureton?

Not denying he''s a good player (he was the Championship''s top scorer, after all), and I know he''s an ex-Norwich player and very popular with the supporters,  but he''s 31 years old, and at £750k a bit too pricey for someone that age (as he even admits himself). I know Sharp and Eastwood are more expensive but they are both young and will surely only get better (not that I''m suggesting we''ll get both, but I wouldn''t complain if we did). Admittedly Sharp is unproven at our level but he scored 32 goals last season, and I would expect him to have little trouble making the step up. Eastwood scored about 15 times last season in a team that was relegated and is an all-round decent player.

We also have Chris Martin coming through of course, who long term I feel will be a better bet than Cureton, we''ve still got Dublin who will be able to do a job, albiet not every week, Earnshaw''s still here and there''s currently no sign of any bids for him (although I don''t think it will be that long before someone shows an interest), and some guy called Chris Brown, who doesn''t count as he''s a total waste of space.

We could probably do with signing Sharp or Eastwood and getting hold of a half-decent target man. With Martin and Dublin also, at best that would leave Cureton on the bench, and £750k is a lot for someone who potentially is only going to be a sub most weeks. Instead of signing Cureton we should get Sharp or Eastwood, a target man, sell Earnshaw probably, and then concentrate on improving the other areas of our squad.

I think we''ll end up with ''Ole Green Swede''........I''d like to see him here, and the way things are progressing in our ''attempts'' to purloin other strikers.......My wish may be ''GRANTed!''