Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Sharp or Eastwood?

Some people may be holding their breath, hoping that we could afford both players if they chose to come to us.Given that they both have good scoring records, if not for several seasons, both quick and with good control, how do they rate comparatively?Eastwood is a year or two older, which is a lot at that age, and with two more years Sharp...... Or is the future unknowable, and Eastwood is the more finished article now, certainly he has demonstrated scoring ability at the higher level.Eastwood may be the safer, i.e. proven, risk. So I am slightly puzzled. We seem ready to pay £2m plus for Sharp, up to £3m if you can believe the Scunthorpe chairman. What do we expect for Eastwood? Wolves at £1m were clearly "trying it on", and presumably our £1.5m was a basic bid, expecting that Southend would want add-ons, etc in the negotiations. As they apparently want £3m, having told us to double our bid, is this a starting point from which they will come down, to perhaps, say, £2.7m.So ultimately the two could go for similar fees. If so, Southend will have done well with a player who can walk away free next summer. There could be an auction in January, where they could expect to get much less, with pre-contracts possible. They are playing a high risk strategy, and may have to settle in August for rather less than they are asking, or have an unhappy player next season and little to show when he leaves.Who gives in first? Is PG any good at poker? Above all can we afford to wait, if we lose Sharp in the meantime. We live in interesting times!

to be honest i dont care if sharp or eastwood dont come. I would settle for cureton and save our money sure cureton hasnt done to great in past seasons and has done well this 1 but i am willing to take that risk i would rather have 4/5/6 players than 2/3 .

If either of these players were 17/18 a Priemership club would probably have come in by now and bid 6/7 million.

It is only fair that if a player has been brought through by a lower league club that they should be compensated. But it is unfair it is Championship clubs that have to take a huge risk by gambling large amounts of money. We should keep the bids at around 1.5 million and offer a 50% selling on clause for any profits made. The player gets to play at a higher level, we get to see some of the up and coming stars play, and if they make it their first clubs get rewarded. Enough of being middle-men for the Premiership.

good post.ithink the club should get cureton in now,so we have one proven striker on board.and leave our bids to run there course with eastwood/sharp. as you say we have offerd a good price for both,and maybe that price will be enough.but if they are still at there clubs come august then you are right,there value will drop and we could grab a bargain! there loss/our gain welcome to the poker table!