Sign in to follow this  
barclay4ever

Hats Off To Grant

so far im really impressed with the way grant has gone about signing new players. hes definately going for it, not affraid to chase the big names, big numbers involved with most of the bids- clearly not affraid to take risks wen it comes to signings and even looking as far afield as south america wer now told. of course it is yet to be seen weather any actually sign but so far he seems to be working pretty hard on getting some quality into the team.

It is worth noting Worthy''s story last summer, when he said he rang Southend to enquire about Freddie Eastwood.

They told him he wasn''t for sale, and Worthy said ''OK''.

It may not have been exactly how it happened, but that was how he told it.

Cleary PG is trying to be as proactive as possible. Hopefully this will be rewarded, sooner rather than later.

Even if Billy Sharp doesn''t end up in the famous yellow shirt, he will have been made pretty aware he was wanted here.

Grant is starting to show just what sort of manager he is... I have been a fan of his since he was appointed and i really do thik he could bring success and trophies to us in the long term....

How far the board are prepared to back him is a debate for another time though...

jas :)

Grant is going to blow worthington out the water, i have full confidence in peter, i''m sure he''s going to turn the canaries around and make us a stable premiership team again!

Where we deserve to be!

ON THE BALL CITY!

It''s certainly refreshing. We''ve needed to compete in the transfer market for years. Worthington was always polite, always courteous, and nearly always second best. Grant is proactive and aggressive in targetting who he wants. You get the feeling that even if he gets turned down, he always has a Plan B, whether it be an improved offer or an alternative signing. Much different to last summers "We lost out on Rob Hulse and Steve Howard and they were the only 2 players in the world that could have improved us, so we''ll go with what we''ve got" rubbish. Even if we miss out on Sharp and Eastwood, we can at least say we''ve competed and done our best. I can stomach missing out on good players as long as we''ve given it our best shot. With Worthington efforts were token at best, or non-existant at worst. And Grant has managed it all AND had a holiday as well!

I''m also firmly in the Grant appreciation society. Let''s just bear in mind that he''s a new up and coming manager, he will make mistakes occasionally, let''s not destroy him just yet!

Reasons why i believe in Peter Grant:-

• He''s clearly indentified weak areas of the team and attempting to fix
  • The players he''s brought in I believe add to our existing squad (including Brown!)
  • The players we''ve targetted are promising
  • He''s clearly working overtime to improve the squad
  • He''s introducing a tougher mentality. Something we''ve lacked for some time
  • I''m liking his backroom staff shuffle (very clever move with both Gunn and Duffy)
  • He uses the loan system correctly for youth players!!!!

To be fair, i still have one question mark concerning his tactical naivity which popped up on one or two occasions last season. But other than that... keep up the positive work Granty

Laughable and quite silly really!.

All Grant has signed so far has been 3 ''Billy No Marks'' and he still hasn''t signed anyone of note yet, Chadwick was already sorted!.

Hats off to Grant?............. what the hell for?.

PS. I''m not attacking Grant I''m just stating the facts.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

All Grant has signed so far has been 3 ''Billy No Marks'' and he still hasn''t signed anyone of note yet, Chadwick was already sorted!.

[/quote]

I hope people take your post as it meant Wiz.  I think the signs from Grant are positive but as yet despite what some are saying he has not done anything of note.  Lappin looks a solid player but the jury is out on all his signings so far.  We still did not see the best of a lot of our players last season and I''m hoping he can turn that round.

The signs are encouraging this transfer window but as of yet, we have not signed Sharp or Eastwood.

The proof, as they say is on the pudding.

I think Grant could do well but lets not pat him on the back for things he has not done yet.

I can''t help but look at what''s happening so far and feel slightly frustrated. Frustrated that despite going for the big names and things, our ability to get them signed seems to be lacking somewhat.

Compared to last close season, though, and I can''t help but feel a great deal of optimism. We''re going for players we need, the sort of players I honestly thought we wouldn''t even be looking at this summer. We''re making the moves and doing what we can to bring them here. Last season, Worthington was practically reactive. He didn''t very little to bring in the players we needed; hence when we started the season, we had only one new face.

I''m happy that we''re being linked and making bids for goodplayers; but now I want us to bring these players in.

Grant seems to know what he wants whereas Worthy always gave the impression he didn''t plan much.

Also i think Grant sees City as a step on his managerial career but Worthington always gave the impression he knew he had got to the pinnacle of his with us already.

The Scots are renowned for thier great resolve, inventiveness and more importantly something we have sorely lacked of late, heart !After all they have given us
  •  Robert the Bruce--defeated the English at Bannockburn
  • William Wallace--defender of Scottish independence
  • John Napier--Mathemetician inventor of the decimal point
  • James Watt--Developed the steam engine
  • David Livingstone Explorer and medical missionary
  • Joseph Lister--developed antiseptics
  • John Macadam--developed tarmac
  • Alexander Graham Bell--the telephone
  • John Logie Baird--Television
  • John Dunlop--The Tyre
  • Adam Smith--The father of economics
  • etc etc etc
Time to give him our support from the stands and allow him to prove himself with the few resources he has !!                                                 

have i missed something, did we sign someone, who was it must haved dozed off. Oh i see, we have to take our hates off for talking big and so far doing nout, sorry no can do. To me Grant so far has not signed  anyone who fills me with confidence.

[quote user="ricky knight"]have i missed something, did we sign someone, who was it must haved dozed off. Oh i see, we have to take our hates off for talking big and so far doing nout, sorry no can do. To me Grant so far has not signed  anyone who fills me with confidence.[/quote]

Come come Ricky.......haven''t you heard that we are in for all of the top names? Henry unfortunately has gone to Barcelona rather than City to be certain of regular first team action. Beckham wanted to come but Delia didn''t want to be upstaged by Posh.

Leave it out with the PR tripe guys. One nobody on a free......and sod all else. How can anyone be anything other than deeply concerned that cheap and cheerful is the club''s game plan.....and Earnies fee will simply get swallowed up by the cook.

Actions speak louder than words.....and words are all we have so far........

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

Again, this is quite rich, oh man of action! [:D] Anyway, I thought you were finished with posting on this board - don''t tell me, you simply couldn''t watch our club in the state it''s in whilst denying us the benefit of your statesmanlike vision. Thank you, o mighty one! [;)] 

[quote user="Cluck "]

[quote user="ricky knight"]have i missed something, did we sign someone, who was it must haved dozed off. Oh i see, we have to take our hates off for talking big and so far doing nout, sorry no can do. To me Grant so far has not signed  anyone who fills me with confidence.[/quote]

Come come Ricky.......haven''t you heard that we are in for all of the top names? Henry unfortunately has gone to Barcelona rather than City to be certain of regular first team action. Beckham wanted to come but Delia didn''t want to be upstaged by Posh.

Leave it out with the PR tripe guys. One nobody on a free......and sod all else. How can anyone be anything other than deeply concerned that cheap and cheerful is the club''s game plan.....and Earnies fee will simply get swallowed up by the cook.

[/quote]

You''re a bit pointless now aren''t you? how can you continue to critisise the board for lack of ambition when we''ve outbid two of our rivals for billy sharpe 2 million + add on''s? Guess you were wrong nevermind........

[quote user="Dowp End"]The Scots are renowned for thier great resolve, inventiveness and more importantly something we have sorely lacked of late, heart !After all they have given us
  • John Dunlop--The Tyre
  • etc etc etc
Time to give him our support from the stands and allow him to prove himself with the few resources he has !!                                                  [/quote]You missed off Paul Dalglish--inventer of the term overrated

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

You''re a bit pointless now aren''t you? how can you continue to critisise the board for lack of ambition when we''ve outbid two of our rivals for billy sharpe 2 million + add on''s? Guess you were wrong nevermind........

[/quote]

You''ve just proved how gullible you are. I believe things when I see them and don''t regard a midget from Scunthorpe is much to write home about. League One is a different animal to our level and as with Ashton...Sharpe and Eastwood are likely to be viewed as financial investments by the board rather than part of a promotion challenge.

Add Sharpe...take away Earnshaw...where''s the progress?

Lol--------but not sure that we can yet use the term overated with respect to Grant until such time he has been given a full run at it and I for one am prepared to support him and make up my mind on his ratings once we have some longer history behind him to judge. In between time we should give him and whatever squad we end up with our support and hope his strong  words are soon backed by action and results--------

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You''ve just proved how gullible you are. I believe things when I see them and don''t regard a midget from Scunthorpe is much to write home about. League One is a different animal to our level and as with Ashton...Sharpe and Eastwood are likely to be viewed as financial investments by the board rather than part of a promotion challenge.

[/quote]

Blimey, you mean Earnie will be sold???

Well burn my little cotton socks...  I never would of guessed.... I am fuming NOW!!!  [:@]  [:D] hahahaha!!!!

[quote user="Dowp End"]The Scots are renowned for thier great resolve, inventiveness and more importantly something we have sorely lacked of late, heart !

After all they have given us

• John Dunlop--The Tyre

• etc etc etc

Time to give him our support from the stands and allow him to prove himself with the few resources he has !!

[/quote]

the telephone, surely the greatest invention of all tme, without it there would be no internet, no mobiles, no wireless technology.... Scotland changed the world u could say

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

Well you lose a good player that wants to move on, and to be fair wasn''t missed when he was injured, and replace him with the top striker from the league below...  I cannot complain if this is what happens.  Looking at how 2 million for Kuqi and 2 million for Clinton Morrison went wrong for Palace 4 million quid 19 goals between them!  And these players were purchased at the height of their value.

As always good judgement from Grant is required to pick up the right player- Lets hope awful chief sout Alan - waste of space - Wood wasn''t on the case.  Otherwise Sharpe could turn out to be the next Sam Parkin...  To be fair to Sharp, he has scored bucketloads of goals these last 3 years.  Hopefully he is a pacey player in which case the deal seems Ideal.

[/quote]

Er, if you are stating the facts perhaps they could be correct?  We''ve signed Brown, Lappin, Fotheringham, Chadwick and Otsemabor so far under PG, even if you still call them all ''billy no marks'' that is 5 signings not 3 (technically I suppose we don''t sign Otsemabor til 1/7 but it still surely counts); the Chadwick deal was not done as you seem to think - even if it was in the pipeline it would have been pulled had he wanted it. 

However, in that time he has also binned Robbo, WLY, Thorne, MLJ, Flem, Hendo - all players that were moaned about ad nauseum by you and others (quite rightly in most cases) - and got rid of Livermore.   Some of these decisions made themselves to an extent, but he has still done what was needed.

IMO there is at least an appearance of things having progressed from the days of last close-season so it is fair enough for people to be thinking positively - the main thing for me is that we are at long last being linked with decent sized bids for decent players, and have the appearance of being proactive rather than reactive.  At the end of the day, we are still only in June so there is plenty of time before we need to be overly concerned about signings, as long as they do come.

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

A midget from Scunthorpe? he scored 30 goals last season which is awesome - you have no evidence to suggest Sharp is likely to be viewed as an investment you''re just saying it because it suits your argument. I''ve seen Sharp play (more than you have i''m guessing) and he''s a very good player. IF Earnshaw leaves the progress is that we have replaced a player that would rather be elsewhere with another quality player who wants to be here.

Let''s just say that Norwich are very unambitious Sharp is rubbish (even though i suspect you''ve never seen him play) and that everyone we bring in will be rubbish even before they''ve played for us because that''s clearly a logical constructive argument! 

[quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

A midget from Scunthorpe? he scored 30 goals last season which is awesome - you have no evidence to suggest Sharp is likely to be viewed as an investment you''re just saying it because it suits your argument. I''ve seen Sharp play (more than you have i''m guessing) and he''s a very good player. IF Earnshaw leaves the progress is that we have replaced a player that would rather be elsewhere with another quality player who wants to be here.

Let''s just say that Norwich are very unambitious Sharp is rubbish (even though i suspect you''ve never seen him play) and that everyone we bring in will be rubbish even before they''ve played for us because that''s clearly a logical constructive argument! 

[/quote]

Does Sharp want to be here though?

You could of fooled me...

He is hardly jumping at the only offer on the table for him to leave the mighty Scunthorpe at the over-inflated price that they have put on his head now is he???

Don''t get me wrong... good player but I think that he has ideas a bit above his station if he thinks anybody else out there is daft enough to bid that kind of money for him.

It is quite blatantly obvious that he is holding out, waiting for Wolves to match our bid!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Does Sharp want to be here though?

You could of fooled me...

He is hardly jumping at the only offer on the table for him to leave the mighty Scunthorpe at the over-inflated price that they have put on his head now is he???

Don''t get me wrong... good player but I think that he has ideas a bit above his station if he thinks anybody else out there is daft enough to bid that kind of money for him.

It is quite blatantly obvious that he is holding out, waiting for Wolves to match our bid!!!

[/quote]

You maybe right Smudger OR the guy is 21yrs old and has to make the most important and possibly career changing decision of his life so he''d just like a bit of time to talk it over with family and friends

''''Don''t get me wrong... good player but I think that he has ideas a bit above his station if he thinks anybody else out there is daft enough to bid that kind of money for him''''.

Now lets get this right smudger.

You''ve spent months telling everyone who''ll listen that Norwich lack ambition !

Then when we put in an offer for a highly rated player that other clubs are struggling to match you call everyone daft.

You really hate it when City do something positive don''t you ?

Duh !! 

[/quote]Yep agree Wiz, PG may appear to make the right noises but the jury is still out - we havent signed anybody yet of note and we finished in a league position Worthington would have been disappointed with.I still have hopes the coming season will be a good one but I have felt this way every June/July since ................ Well Kevin Keelan was a boy

[quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well......we''ve made a good start with Brown and Fotheringnobody so far....plus a Rotherham reject in Colostomybor. Lappin doesn''t rock my boat as a genuine promotion quality player....so what now?

It''s one step forward and two steps back....and I saw Sharpe in Snow White a few times last Christmas. Short is the word....and his six brothers were rubbish too.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Dowp End"]The Scots are renowned for thier great resolve, inventiveness and more importantly something we have sorely lacked of late, heart !

After all they have given us

• John Dunlop--The Tyre

• etc etc etc

[/quote]

the telephone, surely the greatest invention of all tme, without it there would be no internet, no mobiles, no wireless technology.... Scotland changed the world u could say

[/quote]

And the late Archie Macaulay was the Scot who changed NCFC for the better as very, very few others have done.

OTBC