Sign in to follow this  
Next door to Boyer

'Peter Grants Green n Yella Army.. (Sing up Carrow Road)

I''ve supported Norwich since Oct

75, I''m not the most ''loyal'' of supporters in the attending matches

sense and I''ve never been a season ticket holder (My excuse is I live

and am from West London). But if you chat to me on a match day you''d

find I''m no less passionate than any other supporter.

Having attended various matches this season, what I find very

frustrating is the supporters reluctance to sing ''Peter Grants Green n

Yella army on the terraces'' (seats!).

Whats that all about ?

Now I can understand that Delia is already a Norwich Legend and I''m

more than happy with her commitment and passion she has shown towards

the club, because it is genuine. As a result, of course she deserves to

hear her name sung from all 4 corners of the ground. But has her status

diminshed that of the Norwich Manager in the fans eye''s. I only mention

it because according to the fans its ''Delia''s green n yella army''. A

song traditionally sung to support the Manager.

I assume the question aimed at me would be what has Peter Grant done to deserve his name being sung ?

Ok, the team hadn''t shown huge strides in a forward direction since his

appointment, but to me, his appointment as Norwich Manager alone is

enough for him to receive my support, vocally (while standing next to

my seat)..

If we had been awful and fighting relegation this season I might have

understood the reluctance to support him. However, we are in one of the

most competitive league''s in the world and despite it being only a

couple of season''s ago that we were in the Premiership, I personally

didn''t share the same optimism for this season. The reason being is

that we have only 2 players (Drury & Hucks) left in the squad that

won promotion to the Premiership, and 2 others (Safri & Doherty)

that joined to keep us it in, (From a squad of 25+ players ?).

Peter Grant hadn''t inherited a great side, I thought he did

particularly well with his prudent signings and loans this season plus

he was generally a good judge when it came to promoting the younger

players into the 1st team set-up. I believe he was taking a good long

hard look at what the club has, before making an assessment of what

positions need strengthening. Next season I would like to see

improvement but I don''t expect it as every club is looking to

strengthen their side and there are no guarantee''s in football.

Finally, I have 2 very good reason''s why I believe that we should all be singing his name next season:

1. He was appointed by HRH Delia, with glowing references to his

interview and in particular the emphasis on playing football they way

we like it.. (Its important to me ?)

2. I believe that if the players don''t hear support for the Manager

from the fans, then his position is easier to undermine, especially if

things don''t go well. (Do player''s consistantly put in the 110% when

the Manager isn''t supported ?)

Personally, I am looking forward to next season whatever the signings,

a play off place and promotion would be great. But more than anything

else this season, I want to be entertained by our football,

In Grant I trust !!

Forever Yella..

Hi Smann

I too have wondered this one and can only conclude it''s a hangover from the previous manager and the atmosphere which built up in the ground following relegation and to some extent after Worthington left.

I don''t think so far anyone has seen enough of PG and his true abilities - that doesn''t give me or anyone else an excuse not to sing PG''s Green and Yellow army etc - but it''s certainly one factor to why it''s not belted out on the terraces.  Maybe collectively we are all a little nervous of what he might lead us to.  Is he better or worse than Worthington?

The ground became a poisionous place after relegation and was split between the Worthy Out and Keep the Faith elements, alongside those who just didn''t want to get involved in it all.  There wasn''t a united front in terms of support and the singing that was generated from that.  I don''t know where you sit Smann, but I have to admit to saying if it''s anywhere near me (L Barclay) then you will have noticed a much more muted Carrow Road of late.

We haven''t witnessed good football on a consistent basis for some time and it does take a good run for all of us collectively to believe in what we are witnessing and therefore to sing about it.  It''s difficult to get motivated sometimes and after a season and a half (or more, depending on your viewpoint) of dire football, in fighting between supporters, board wrangling, protests etc, it''s not hard to see why our ground is no longer a cauldron of noise. 

We might continue to sing for Delia as she is constant in all of this change and most people (and even those who constantly are on this messageboard criticising her) realise she does love the club and has given her time and money to better the club.  When we were doing well Nigel Worthington''s name was sung, it disappeared after a lot of bad results.  Some people refused to ever sing his name again. It all got bitter.

I totally agree with your final paragraph, it''s not the manager I come to watch, it''s the team and whoever is playing for us I hope they play well and in the style we have come to expect.  I too hope Grant can deliver this.

OTBC

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

Hi Smann

I too have wondered this one and can only conclude it''s a hangover from the previous manager and the atmosphere which built up in the ground following relegation and to some extent after Worthington left.

I don''t think so far anyone has seen enough of PG and his true abilities - that doesn''t give me or anyone else an excuse not to sing PG''s Green and Yellow army etc - but it''s certainly one factor to why it''s not belted out on the terraces.  Maybe collectively we are all a little nervous of what he might lead us to.  Is he better or worse than Worthington?

The ground became a poisionous place after relegation and was split between the Worthy Out and Keep the Faith elements, alongside those who just didn''t want to get involved in it all.  There wasn''t a united front in terms of support and the singing that was generated from that.  I don''t know where you sit Smann, but I have to admit to saying if it''s anywhere near me (L Barclay) then you will have noticed a much more muted Carrow Road of late.

We haven''t witnessed good football on a consistent basis for some time and it does take a good run for all of us collectively to believe in what we are witnessing and therefore to sing about it.  It''s difficult to get motivated sometimes and after a season and a half (or more, depending on your viewpoint) of dire football, in fighting between supporters, board wrangling, protests etc, it''s not hard to see why our ground is no longer a cauldron of noise. 

We might continue to sing for Delia as she is constant in all of this change and most people (and even those who constantly are on this messageboard criticising her) realise she does love the club and has given her time and money to better the club.  When we were doing well Nigel Worthington''s name was sung, it disappeared after a lot of bad results.  Some people refused to ever sing his name again. It all got bitter.

I totally agree with your final paragraph, it''s not the manager I come to watch, it''s the team and whoever is playing for us I hope they play well and in the style we have come to expect.  I too hope Grant can deliver this.

OTBC

[/quote]

Yes Gazza exactly.... Delia is the constant in all of this mess yet many City fans still praise her and sing her name... sickening really!!!  [:@]

I am sure that whatever Granty does then it will not be enough because he purely and simply just does not have the full backing of an ambitious board. 

It really wouldn''t matter who we had as manager at this moment in time because NCFC will not progress while Delia and MWJ''s are pulling the strings in the boardroom.

Grant is mediocre enough without the shadow of Smith hanging over him like a cloud. He is a lower league manager at best who is trying to punch above his weight....and his transfer record speaks volumes about his eye for flair. He was a journeyman player himself and lacks the psyche to attract flair players...because that''s never been part of his game. More hard working donkeys such as Doherty and Hughes on the way for sure.

He''ll be gone inside 18 months and the club will return to turmoil...with Smith claiming the higher ground amidst the usual tears. No doubt once again though the blinkered supporters will sit out another period of stagnation before a new period of stagnation can begin.

Get Smith and her cronies out (including the cosied up Turner''s) and let''s have a new beginning. It may not be pleasant in the short term...but we need to drop before we can rise again and I suppose Smith is as good as anyone else to take us down there.

I can''t work you out Cluck.  So the manager is mediocre, so is the team, the board are all incompetent, now you want the Turners to go, they haven''t done anything yet (good or bad) for you to judge them, have they?

So, we have this new beginning, with whom and what (money).  Will you please clarify how this is going to happen, what new investor and their money is going to come along?  Then once here, are they then going to sing to your tune?  Not sure what that is, but do tell me.

Grant is our manager and this is his first post. He was assistant at West Ham, are they lower league? Does everyone have to win the European Championship in their first season to register with you? What transfer record?  He has been here since October, not his fault there are transfer windows!! 

So, a catalogue of what''s wrong. So, of you please Cluck, now tell us, what is going to happen to put it all right, and your vision of utopia in the present football climate?

[quote user="Cluck "]

Grant is mediocre enough without the shadow of Smith hanging over him like a cloud. He is a lower league manager at best who is trying to punch above his weight....and his transfer record speaks volumes about his eye for flair. He was a journeyman player himself and lacks the psyche to attract flair players...because that''s never been part of his game. More hard working donkeys such as Doherty and Hughes on the way for sure.

He''ll be gone inside 18 months and the club will return to turmoil...with Smith claiming the higher ground amidst the usual tears. No doubt once again though the blinkered supporters will sit out another period of stagnation before a new period of stagnation can begin.

Get Smith and her cronies out (including the cosied up Turner''s) and let''s have a new beginning. It may not be pleasant in the short term...but we need to drop before we can rise again and I suppose Smith is as good as anyone else to take us down there.

[/quote]

Peter Grant played for most of his career at Celtic - 1982 to 1994 - In that time he made 338 league appearances for the club.  Sure he trotted about a bit when his career was in its twighlight period but to call him a journeyman is just plain incorrect.  I have no problem with posters slating or maoning about anything (regardless of whether or not I agree with them) but to just make stuff up to prove a point is just wrong.

And what is the relevance in your point about not being able to attract flair players just because he was a tough tackling midfielder!! 

I say give Grant a chance, let him build a squad of his own and then judge him.  I also leave Delia exactly where she is and give the Turners time and a chance to prove what there intentions are.  Because lets all be honest here, billionaire sugar daddy''s are not exactly common place in Norfolk are they? 

I have to agree with Gazza, I think your opinion of PG & Delia is wide of the mark.There is''nt any evidence of a lack ability in PG to spot flair players in his transfer dealings last season (to attract them maybe too early to tell) . However, I maybe wrong with my first example but was Chadwick his first signing ? He''s not Ronaldo but if you were describing him some people may say he''s a flair player. Plus take a closer look at Fotheringham, from what I''ve seen he''s a good passer of the ball and I think of him as a forward going central midfielder. I''m hoping to see him develop more but I don''t think we had any other forward looking central midfielders before he came? Although Etuhu likes to get forward, he''s usually on the end of things cos of his strength & height, but he''s not a creator.Plus, PG had the vision & courage to put Chris Martin into the 1st team set-up, and I believe he was proved right to do so. And I hope it demonstrates that PG has an eye for talent.How have you managed to get into PG''s psyche ? I understand your concept but Arsene Wenger blows the philosophy out of the water. (ie; journeyman player = can''t attract flair).By the way, weren''t those hard working donkey''s signed by Worthington, and then made Captain !!But to bring the discussion back to my original posted question, how do you think the team would respond if support for Grant was demonstrated verbally on the terraces ?Surely it has to be positive, if it is, it would also mean that the negative outlook from supporters, such as yourself, would be a contributory factor in the downfall of the team ?

Hi Smudger,Before I can respond properly I need to understand your arguement. ''Delia the constant in all of this mess ?''..  What mess ? (Leeds Utd- thats a mess).What makes you think he doesn''t have the full backing of an ambitious board ?What d''ya think of my original posted question regarding, supporters showing verbal support for Grant on the terraces ? (See my last reply to Cluck)

Hi Gazza,Thanks for your considered and more informative reply to my question. I had an incling of the discontent from a close friend who is a season ticket holder in L Barclay (Where I would normally stand/sit). But I must admit I''m suprised by the completely negative view some supporters have of the club. I can only assume its due to huge disappointment from having too much expectation, and I can''t understand where the expectation came from. To desire the club to to do well is something all supporters (of any club) would obviously share, but to expect it is simply unrealistic.The likes of Smudger & Cluck are new to me, but then I''m not a local & I''m unaware of the varying degree''s of opinion, so I hope to be updated from viewing the site.I believe we will see some better football being played this season.  For example, Grants description of Ostembor shows he is continuing with his initial outlook at looking for players who have the characteristics to play attractive football. I hope we get more of them & that they have the confidence to show it. A united support from the terraces would help !!

Ya just plain wrong !!I am suprised but there''s definatley discontent amongst some supporters, just from my first posting I have 2 positive & 2 negative responses.Plus, ''a mouthfull'' ??Doesn''t Wor/thing/tons or De/li/as or Pe/ter/ Grants (names) all possess 3 syllables ?  Ideal for Green n yella army..I''ll start you off, you join in ?

[quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

Peter Grant played for most of his career at Celtic - 1982 to 1994 - In that time he made 338 league appearances for the club.  Sure he trotted about a bit when his career was in its twighlight period but to call him a journeyman is just plain incorrect.  I have no problem with posters slating or maoning about anything (regardless of whether or not I agree with them) but to just make stuff up to prove a point is just wrong.

And what is the relevance in your point about not being able to attract flair players just because he was a tough tackling midfielder!! 

I say give Grant a chance, let him build a squad of his own and then judge him.  I also leave Delia exactly where she is and give the Turners time and a chance to prove what there intentions are.  Because lets all be honest here, billionaire sugar daddy''s are not exactly common place in Norfolk are they? 

[/quote]

and I wonder why that is Jimmy?  It couldn''t be the fact that Delia and her cronies have hung a huge sign up at Carrow Road stating that...

Investment from outside of Norfolk is just NOT WELCOME at NCFC could it????

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

How was Peter Grant a journeyman?!? He spent 15 years at Celtic! Then ended his career with Norwich and Reading before taking a player coach role @ Bournemouth. Hardly a journeyman.

[quote user="smann"]Hi Smudger,

Before I can respond properly I need to understand your arguement. ''Delia the constant in all of this mess ?''..  What mess ? (Leeds Utd- thats a mess).

What makes you think he doesn''t have the full backing of an ambitious board ?

What d''ya think of my original posted question regarding, supporters showing verbal support for Grant on the terraces ? (See my last reply to Cluck)
[/quote]

Hi SMANN,

You may not consider a team that has had the largest support in this division over the past 2 seasons, plus £millions in profit from player sales, plus parachute payments etc finsihing in what was it 12th place and 16th place acceptable...  I on the other hand would call it an UTTER MESS!!!

As for whether Granty has the backing of the board or not...

He has got rid of 5 players from a paper thin squad, drastically reducing the wage bill in the process... only to be given a combined sum of £400,000 thus far to bring in 5 players.... and yet again I don''t see any improvement on that score on the way...  again I will leave you to make your own conclusions on that one....

By the way spending £3million or £4million and selling Earnshaw for £6million does not count as the board investing money.

As regards to your original post however I do agree that those attending matches should shout Peter Grant''s Green & Yella Army... I think that this would be much preferred to attributing any chant to Delia (who is the real individual that is holding this club back).... Quite frankly fans singing the Delia version need putting down as they are obviously quite chronically SICK!!!  [+o(] 

[quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

agreed Jimmy! Keane was a tough tackling manager and Sunderland are in the premiership.. clucks quote is just Desparation in finding something else to slag Grant off with.

jas :)

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Given the sate of the seat I sit on I would have to sing "Peter Grants Green and Yellowy/White or Whitey/Yellow Army"[/quote]

For christ sake, why don''t we all chip in for a bucket of paint to keep him happy? [:P]

[quote user="hogesar"]

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Given the sate of the seat I sit on I would have to sing "Peter Grants Green and Yellowy/White or Whitey/Yellow Army"[/quote]

For christ sake, why don''t we all chip in for a bucket of paint to keep him happy? [:P]

[/quote]

If money is really that tight we don''t need to invest in a bucket....let''s get that damn helmet off him and put it to good use.

[quote user="Michael Starr"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

How was Peter Grant a journeyman?!? He spent 15 years at Celtic! Then ended his career with Norwich and Reading before taking a player coach role @ Bournemouth. Hardly a journeyman.

[/quote]

Scottish football resembles a slug rolling a marble. It''s absolute tosh and exactly why Celtic and Rangers win it just about every year....and why they are such crap in Europe. Also didn''t Celtic experience one of their worst ever periods with Grant in the team?

Grant is a decent enough bloke I''m sure...but a total lightweight when it comes to savvy and dour in the extreme when it comes to appreciating flair (remember Croft''s showboating blast?).  He''s not up to taking us anywhere as a club and is just another of Delia''s "dido" managers to go along with the rest she has hired.

Also as I''ve said before...I saw him at close quarters at Bournemouth and stated as soon as he got the job that he was all mouth and habitually blamed everyone around him rather than look at his own deficiencies. Nothing has changed since he "came home" to Norfolk.

Journeyman to his toes and better suited to East Stirling.........