Sign in to follow this  
BES

Sorry.........Roberts is to old......

Ok Silver Fox...opinion on Roberts...

I have watched and enjoyed Roberts skill and top performances, and yes he has scored some fantastic goals...but I believe he''s finally to old and slower the other top team defenders, and mistakes are being made to often, and goal opportunity''s missed.
NW needs to concentrate on younger fitter players, changing our game to accommodate.
The last games are so important to all, and i''m sure you have seen what has happened to Manchester United, look how quickly you can tumble, 5th January they were top and are at the moment struggling to stay third!!
We need consistency, playing quick nimble strikers, Hucks and Leon could work, we have excellent defenders,(lets not include Cardif in this one). if we get the format working we will stay in automatic promotion, but keep playing Roberts and we will see mistakes being made and goals will not come easy...
If I was an emotional person I would play Roberts, but my hard side is saying emotion does not get promotion.....................

Damn and double damn, I did''nt want to agree with you on this one BES, but I fear you''re correct on this. I have some lovely memories of the ''big man'', but memories won''t get you promoted. I''d start with Svennson and Mckenzie up front with Hucks against the Gills, and see how it goes, but I don''nt think that will happen though.

Have to agree that Roberts is now too old to start and should be left to pasture at the send of the season. Given the star performance from Leon it looks like he should also be the first choice replacement when introducing a sub - assuming that he returns to the bench against the gills.

Sorry iwan - and a big thanks for some superb memories.

I think we should keep Iwan in next season if we get promoted, maybe not only playing position but also involved some coaching position liked player-coach. My reason was he was one of the fewest EXPERIENCED international of our side, his appearence in the club will help our new signings (I guess we will sign new forwards or attacking mind player!) to settle down, also he was the "legend" status in the club and they should solve any discipline problem in the team. He is the club captain doesn''t he? Even in the EPL, 15 minutes for Iwan Roberts can do a job for us! He knows Norwich better than everyone in the squad.

1st Wizard i''m glad you agree with me, but I wonder how many people do? as for Sven Mckenzie and Hucks i dont think that will happen either, If NW does keep playing Roberts I really hope in a few months time his decision is one not of regret!

I have to admit that Iwan is getting a little slower now, but he still has the ability to hold the ball up and bring in other players. While Worthy continues to play the high ball down the middle to a big centre forward then Iwan is probably still the best choice. Svensson talks a good game but he hasn''t impressed me yet and I can see why we only paid £50,000 for him. When I see Svensson it reminds me of the impact Abbey made when he first arrived and I thought we had found a two footed striker who is good in the air and scores goals, but sadly he never really progressed and the injuries have probably ended his time at Norwich. I know all about McKenzie as I live in Peterborough and you need to play the ball to his feet or over the defence if you want the best out of him. After that you are running out of options as to who plays up front with Huckerby. Do away with the high ball tactics and I would agree that Iwan is just a bit too old. If only Crouch were on his way then the problem would be solved.

Iwan is a legend.. no doubt..

true he may be getting in years.. he is 35... but he''s out of contract at the end of the season anyway...

we should give him a coaching job.. he conducts himself the right way both on and off the field and is a great ambassador for the club... young players could learn alot from him...

he wont play next season.... but i think the club will be cutting their own throat if they dont keep him on in some kind of coaching capacity...

jas :)

I have to agree. We have plenty of strikers for next season and roberts will be the lowest down the pecking order and one of the highest paid.

It''s a shame that after all these years of him trying to get us up that when we do he is too old to play but we have to be practical and do what is in the best intrests of the club.

Admitedly XXL16 he has played international football for Wales I think he is still in the position of never actually scoring a goal!!!

I think we have to trust Worthy''s decision on this one.

Is Iwan Roberts too old to play,
Should we renew his contract and let him stay,
In the late nineties he scored goals aplenty,
But now I ask the question, is the goal machine empty ?.

We all know how much we owe the Big Man,
But carry on for another season i''m not sure he can?
Should we release him to sign on the dole,
Or can Worthy find him a coaching role?

Our only striker for many a year,
To score 20 goals a season, or come anywhere near,
Minus two front teeth, he smiles when he scores,
''There''s only One Iwan Roberts'' the Barclay roars.

His goal at Cardiff from Alex Notman''s cross,
So nearly caused Birmingham''s loss,
Oh what a day it would have been,
If Big Iwan had put us on the premier scene.

Guest CFrost
Whatever anyones said and no matter who has disagreed with what I''m going to say then I want to get my two pennith worth in whether anyone agrees or not. Ok so I may not have read everyones commenbts, but seeing as this sort of post is something I feel strongly about then i''ve just jumped straight in.

Iwan is a legend, he is a role model, he is a damn good player, he''s helped us loads of times, saved us from being relegated, scored many goals, helped us get through bad times, nearly won us promotion and the rest so of course he should be given a chance!

Now this is why he should be given another season, this is why he deserves it and this is why we are in the the posistion we are in now. Its thanks to him.

For what he has done for us he should be given another season, whether it be in The Prem or still here in Div 1. Yes so what if he''s 35- its not old is it? He can still do the job! He gets the team together when they play and in my opinion we play better with him in the side. he pops up with the odd goal now and again and he''s well loved by all.

Now say we get promoted which I hope we do, we''ll need someone like him in the team next season to show everyone whats what and he deserves the chance to play the bigger sides, whether if its just for a few minutes every so often. Ok he might not want to play all the time, every game, but he should be given the chance after what he''s done for us. He should be rewarded a chance in the top flight as he''s never been there with us before.

Whatever anyone says I think he should be given another chance.

The Other Mrs Roberts....
Yes he is a legend, and has helped Norwich become what they are today, but he is getting to the end of his playing career, I believe he still has a very important part to play in Norwich''s future, it has been suggested, a coaching role......Ok, if Iwan was to sign for another year, and is playing the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal, would he be successful?
We can''t become emotional and keep talking about what he has done, but have to question is he able to still achieve at the level you want him to? or does he move over for younger players, and uses his valuable skills in a coaching role?

I don''t think we should rule out completely not renewing his contract. I know he''s hardly going to skin Terry or Ferdinand but at this time we only have one other front man- Sven. I know we''ve got a fair amount of strikers but if Roberts went I''d like another target man. There is a lot of talk about Crouch and I would love this to happen but I honestly don''t think it will. Roberts has the ability to hold up the ball and distribute it well. I don''t think a monthly rolling contract would be a bad thing. At least have a look at him and if it''s clear he can''t cut it then we could let him do something else. Look at some of the strikers in the Premiership though- Les Ferdinand and Teddy Sheringham to name two. Both well in their 30s and hardly got Giggs'' pace! I''m probably going to get shot down for this post but I don''t think we should necessarily get rid of him when his contract runs out.

Incidently when Iwan does eventually leave the club do you think hang around and still be associated with the club? ala Gunny, Goss or Adams (I know Adams is on Radio Norfolk but near enough!)

Hi Iwans Front Teeth, how can you know Iwan didn''t score an international goal as you (Iwan''s real front teeth!) had already drop off when Iwan was quite young! :OP

You are quite right about Iwan had not scored an international goal for Wales but he got
sent off against Japan, about 12 years ago. Yes he may not consider as a first team regular anymore but his experience and, maybe his legend status at the club was still benefit us, on and off the field. Player-coach was the best position we offer him next season. He deserved a testimonial too...

I read at the weekend that Iwan is currently considering an offer to go and play in the MLS next season, as a final payday. Apparently one of his mates lives out there, and has teed up the opportunity for him, so I think the end of season chat between the big man and Worthy will be a very interesting one.

Obviously Iwan has said that he would love to play in the Premiership with City, but bearing in mind this new offer, would the odd 10 minutes here and there be enough for him? I think it is important to recognise his contribution over the past 7 years, and as he is currently working towards his coaching badges, that is surely the way to go. I think his influence around the academy could be very important in years to come - how much would Jarvis have benefitted from working with him 2 or 3 years ago?

As for playing, I can''t see him doing too much next season, Prem or Div 1, but I would love to see him stay at the club. Without him, we would be languishing in Div 2 with Sheff Wed by now........

Touche XXL16. I have kept up with the progress of my owner. He still keeps me in a jar in his bathroom to remind him of the days when I was in his mouth :-)

Although he never scored i surpose his chances have been limited to sub appearances. In the past by Ian Rush, Mark Hughes, Dean Saunders, and now John Hartson, Bellamy, Earnshaw, Giggs have al been ahead.

I think they will offer Iwan a coaching Role but he still wants to play. So I think he pay go to the US.

Testimonial good in theory but I think you have to be here 10 years.

The general rule of thumb for testimonials is 10 years with a club, but the club can grant Iwan a testimonial if they so choose. I agree, it would be a fitting end to his time with the club, but let''s hope that doesn''t happen this summer!

DumbleDelia Is magic.... I would love Crouch to come back as well, and I think if/when we go up to the premeirship, and we can afford him I think he will definitely return...as a back up NW must at the moment be scouting for another front man to replace Iwan... answer to whether Iwan will stay, I do hope so, he has valuable experience that he can pass on and has lots of respect from his team mates, I would love to see him in a coaching role.

Thirteen goals in the last two seasons at Nationwide level. How many can we expect from him in the Premiership at 36 years old ?

Deserves a coaching role. Wasn''t there a vacancy in the academy needed filling?

I would retain his playing registration too as he could still do a job as a squad member and deserves it to for his loyalty and service.

Hi Iwans Front Teeth, I recalled last time I went to Colney I still found Iwan''s front teeth was there -- when he was in training! You are not missing! :)

Yeah Iwan was never a first team regular for Wales and there were so many super star in front of him, your list gave me good memories about how strong of the attacking power from the Welsh international team before: Rush, Hughes, Saunders, Giggs, but what they missed was some good defenders.

Iwan of course still want to play but I don''t really see he will go to US, he liked US I know but playing football there, it wasn''t easy I think. I studied in Canada for about 5 years ago when the MLS start to build up, their game was much quicker and mainly played on the ground, they had many South American player whose the skill was quite good, as many of the British players went there didn''t get a real success (John Spencer was except case maybe), the import liked Mo Johnston, Paul Rideout, Steve Morrow, Ian Woan, Mark Williams, Terry Phelan (A-League) or even former Canaries Ian Butterworth were not getting too much joy there. I didn''t think Iwan will guarantee first team football in there since they always rely on the youth.

We must give a Testimonial to Iwan, so offer him a player-coach role next season would be excellent!!!

At last? Im not sure if academy had vacancy, but Iwan deserves this role...
If playing registration was to be retained, how would you fit Iwan in to the squad? would you not prefer a new man? I love the big man but so sure he will not be able to cut it in the premiership...I think his loyalty and service should be rewarded in other areas of the club..

Guest CFrost
Yeah but cant he still play next season? Yeah say if its just for 5 mins here or there just to give him a taste of what its like after all he has helped us get there. Anyway we have players now such as Easton and Briggs who never play, so wouldnt it just be the same for Iwan in the Prem? I mean we could afford to pay his wages couldnt we?

(By the way he cant move to America cos I hate flying so god knows how I''ll get over there?!)