Sign in to follow this  
Chirping Canary

Bentley, a disgrace or fair enough?

As you may or may not know Bentley had pulled out of the England U21 Championships, now I personally think any player not representing there country for fatigure is not justified in doing so.

My reasoning for this is that football is an extemely high paid sport and you are not constantly working long hours, thus footballers have a very privelaged lifestyle and should have plently of time to recover from fatigue. Upon this Bentley is under 21, not exactly at an age when he will get very tired, very quickly, therefore I can''t forsee how ''fatigue'' would be a problem.

My conclusion is that for Bentley to turn his nose in what should be the highest accolade in any sport is an utter disgrace.

Do any opinions greatly differ from this or does anyone think these are valid points?

[quote user="Chirping Canary"]

As you may or may not know Bentley had pulled out of the England U21 Championships, now I personally think any player not representing there country for fatigure is not justified in doing so.

My reasoning for this is that football is an extemely high paid sport and you are not constantly working long hours, thus footballers have a very privelaged lifestyle and should have plently of time to recover from fatigue. Upon this Bentley is under 21, not exactly at an age when he will get very tired, very quickly, therefore I can''t forsee how ''fatigue'' would be a problem.

My conclusion is that for Bentley to turn his nose in what should be the highest accolade in any sport is an utter disgrace.

Do any opinions greatly differ from this or does anyone think these are valid points?

[/quote] Unless they are injured they should make themselves available if selected. I do not class fatigue as much of an injury - in any case that should have been left to Stuart Pearce to decide following a training session how fatigued he was. I suspect there is some hidden agenda here that we don''t know about.

It''s a strange one alright, Chirping....of course none of us are likely to know the ins and outs of David Bentley''s fatigue or it''s validity.

It does seem though a snub to the England U21 management that someone of that age is too tired to play a few games after the rigours of the season have long finished.  I wonder if Mr Bentley would survive a 40 odd hour week in an everyday job?  I doubt it.   It''s maybe a sign of having too much too young and being too big for his own boots? 

It''s a snub to the country and his team mates, his club side and I suppose not too great a feeling for his family.  Also, who could have represented England instead of him, and now can''t replace him?  To that youngster next on the list, my heart goes out to you. 

It''s time the Bentleys of this world woke up and realised that playing for your country is an honour, not a given right because they think they are good enough.

Totally agree most of us on here would do anything to play the game we love and certaintly wouldn''t turn down the chance to play for England.  I just don''t buy this excuse of being tired because I just don''t agree that footballers are the hardest working people especially with all the money they get.  Really I am just deeply dissapointed by the Bentley situation and if it causes him to lose the chance of an international career then he only has himself to blame.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Totally agree most of us on here would do anything to play the game we love and certaintly wouldn''t turn down the chance to play for England.  I just don''t buy this excuse of being tired because I just don''t agree that footballers are the hardest working people especially with all the money they get.  Really I am just deeply dissapointed by the Bentley situation and if it causes him to lose the chance of an international career then he only has himself to blame.[/quote]

Chris Sutton made a similar mistake after he left Carrow Road when he refused to play for England '' B '' because he''d been in the full England squad. He never played for England again..........

Somehow I think Bentley''s talent as a ready made replacement for Beckham will allow those in charge to forgive and forget on this occasion.

It''ll be a shame otherwise.......

Undecided on this one. He shouldn''t turn down his country but then again he believes he should be in the senior squad and I think he wants to distinguish himself as a senior squad member now. No doubt his club are pleased that he ditched the U21s so that he''s nice and fresh for pre-season...

I''m a David Bentley fan ( in terms of his playing ability ) but very disappointed in his decision on this matter. He was obviously not fatigued either in wanting to participate in his recent game for the U21''s or the considerable effort and performance he displayed in that game. Undoubtedly he saw it as a platform to higher things. It does appear that Bentley felt his time had come in terms of a call-up to the senior squad, which I agreed with. However, that''s not his decision to make. He''s probably throwing his toys out of the pram given that David Beckham was recalled instead. Just another demonstration that he''s not reached a full state of maturity yet.

With respect to Mark Hughes comments on the subject he wins no points from me. He says if the U21''s go all the way in the tournament then Mr. Bentley could end up with no more than six days vacation until the start of the new season. Well, Mr. Hughes, the average young man in an ordinary job making low wages is often hard pressed to get much vacation entitlement. The Mr. Bentley''s of this world need to learn to appreciate the privilege and great rewards they enjoy as result of being endowed with talent.   

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

He''s probably throwing his toys out of the pram given that David Beckham was recalled instead. Just another demonstration that he''s not reached a full state of maturity yet.

[/quote]

Very much doubt the Beckham recall has anything to do with it.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

He''s probably throwing his toys out of the pram given that David Beckham was recalled instead. Just another demonstration that he''s not reached a full state of maturity yet.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I did say "probably" GJP on the basis that there does not appear, on the surface, to be a more logical explanation. If Bentley was genuinely concerned about fatigue or wanting to move away from the Under 21 scene, then presumably he would not have participated recently with the all-out effort he did and then withdrawing, leaving Pearce with one less squad member, as well as depriving another young man of participation. The position he took was disingenuous, which is why he drew the criticism from Pearce.

Totally disagree. 

Who is Stuart Pearce to call Bentley a disgrace?

Yes I do agree that playing for your country at any age / level is an honour, however, David Bentley has the right to be able to say he can''t play because he is injured.  He also must be man enough to accept that by doing so, whether injured or not(without a test by England), that this may jeopardise his chances of playing for the U21''s again.  Maybe he does accept this and wants to concentrate on staying fit over the summer for his club, while trying to break into the full England squad.

An example, although different, I accpet, but you can see where I am coming from:-

You are ill in bed with sickness and diarrhoea, you phone in work sick on Monday morning, the day of an important meeting for your company, your boss then makes an announcement to your colleagues telling them that you are too ill to attend the meeting and that it is a disgrace.  How would you feel?

If Bentley is a disgrace does this make Paul Scholes a disgrace for retiring from international football to concentrate on club football, when he could have clearly given England a few more years?

What about Giggs and Wales, is he a disgrace?

I could go on

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I did say "probably" GJP on the basis that there does not appear, on the surface, to be a more logical explanation. If Bentley was genuinely concerned about fatigue or wanting to move away from the Under 21 scene, then presumably he would not have participated recently with the all-out effort he did and then withdrawing, leaving Pearce with one less squad member, as well as depriving another young man of participation. The position he took was disingenuous, which is why he drew the criticism from Pearce.

[/quote]

I''m quite aware of what you said, I was simply offering my opinion.

If bentley was injured I would agree, but he is not and nor is he ill.  I accept that he could be but if he were I think he would admit so.  Also refusing to play for U21 could hurt his chances of playing in the full England squad.  It seems to me that bentley has decided he is too good for the u21 or that it''s just not worth his time. 

Presumably Bentley has ruled himself out of selection for Euro 2008 (if we qualify) as, logically, he will also be too fatigued at the end of next season.

What a d*ckhead.

Mark Hughes is just as bad. The only reason Bentley would get ''six days holiday'' is because Blackburn players have to come back to training early because they have entered, wait for it........................... ...... the Intertoto Cup.

What a hypocrite.

The FA should make an example of Master Bentley just as they did Mr Sutton. But then they probably don''t really care anyway.

Bet you Bentley will soon start caterwauling if he is not selected for England next season.

OTBC

i have some sympathy for bentley on this one . yes he gets paid a fortune for kicking a ball about , but as bentley says he''s just finished a 60 game season and if he is to be at his best come august then he needs a decent rest , after all its blackburn who pay his wages and its them who will suffer as a result . wouldnt we be worried if earnie was in the same position ?

[quote user="yoda"]i have some sympathy for bentley on this one . yes he gets paid a fortune for kicking a ball about , but as bentley says he''s just finished a 60 game season and if he is to be at his best come august then he needs a decent rest , after all its blackburn who pay his wages and its them who will suffer as a result . wouldnt we be worried if earnie was in the same position ?[/quote]

What about the other players in the squad who have played 60 games but are still not too tired to represent their country.

Bentley - A disgrace in my opinion.