Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Your Ideal Summer Transfer Window

What would be your ideal Summer transfer window ?I would like to see us sign Marshall or an equally capable goalkeeper.  I would like to see 1 or 2 new central midfield players to challenge Safri and Etuhu, a right back (Otsemobor is lined up), and a central defender to keep Shackell and Doherty on their toes.I would also like Norwich to keep Earnshaw, and sign a young strike parter who would be capable of forming a 40 - 50 goal partnership next season.If any players choose to leave over the summer, I would also like them to be replaced.

I would like a big yellows sun to put on my window as I so rarely see the sun in this god forsaken hell hole (manchester).

Sorry I thought you said "Summer window transfer".

Ideally:

2 Goalies in (inc D.Marshall) and Lewis out on season long loan to league 1/2 (Stockport might take him back)

2 Central Defenders, 1 of which is young (Jean-Baptiste)

2/3 Central Midfielders, 1 for first team, 1/2 for bench/future, Safri to leave if he wants.

1 Right Back - Ostembor

1 Striker to partner Earnshaw (stays)

1 Young Reserve Left Back - Dixon?

Youngsters loaned out.

Any player that leaves is replaced besided the ones i''ve mentioned.

Oh and while I''m at it i''ll have a partridge in a pear tree as well!

To el smudgo et al. I really don''t expect all these to happen - but

they would be what I would do in a realistic football management

simulator.

I''m pretty much in agreement with both of these - defensive strengthening is an absolute MUST if we are to avoid some of last season''s bloody fiascos. I''d like a good playmaking central midfielder and, obviously, I hope we get Marshall or someone else of that quality to make the goalkeeping position their own.

I have to say that I am completely torn on the Earnie question - on one hand, it has to be said that his goal ratio is unparralleled at this level but, on the other, I''m not convinced that we don''t play better as a team without him.

Keep him and his goals or take the £5m (if that is what we''re being offered) and build a more complete and coherent forward line - I am genuinely undecided - glad it''s not my decision! [*-)] 

I agree, MacDP, I''m torn on the issue and bloody glad I''m not on the board or in Peter Grant''s shoes if the bid is real! Mind you, being torn also means that we won''t be too disappointed one way or another! It''s called ''hedging your bets''! [:)]And I agree with the lists of players needed - definitely at least one keeper, hopefully Marshall; 3 maybe even 4 defenders; 3 midfielders and 2 strikers.Not that we''ll get them ALL, but a good 5 or 6 new players at least would be an improvement!!Oh, and 7Rew, look out your current window - it''s a beautiful evening up here! Cheer up, man! [:P]

These are the additions I would like to the squad....

GK''s      Marshall

DF         Ostembor - Dixon

Utility      Jones

MF         Not sure who, a good quality young midfielder on loan from a premier club, Gunny''s cue to phone his mate Alex - Decent Polish player (or other eastern bloc country)

AM         Kris Commons

FW         Billy Sharpe - Eastern bloc prospect

That is 9 new arrivals.  Combine this with Chris Brown, Luke Chadwick and Mark Fotheringham all having a proper pre-season and that is as good as 12 new players in the squad.

Realistically we aint gonna get half of these or anywhere this sort of quantity so I will settle for Marshall, Ostembor, Jones and Sharp.  I don''t know what everyone else on here thinks but I would much rather have 2/3 with exceptional quality than 6/7 average players.

[quote]

A whole new board of directors in!!![/quote]Not surprised to see you copping out of this Smudger.  I mean, if you set expectations and NCFC met them over the course of the summer, you''d have one less thing to complain about.  Much easier to predict incredibly likely things like Sharp going to Wolves and then saying "I told you so".

Marshall

Otsemebor

O''Brien Pompey

Baptiste and/or David Mirfin very promising ''big'' player at the back 6ft 3 and a commanding figure is expected to move onto bigger and better things, hopefully at Norwich.

Jean Paul Ndeki or Vitālijs Smirnovs both big players playing in Latvia, personally i think Ndeki is the better option, next Christopher Samba anyone?

Dixon

Jones or the Serbian equivalent Branislav Ivanović (23) playing for Lokomotiv Moscow can play anywhere in defence or midfield that has represented his country at under 21 level, like to progress forward similarly to Lucio from Bayern Leverkusen.

Aleksandrs Cauņa (who plays for Skonta Riga)  Patryk Małecki (who plays for wisla Krakow) or Tomasz Cywka (who plays for Wigan) all are under 21''s and are attacking player Malecki and Cywka are strikers and Cauna is an attacking midfielder.

obviously a lot of this is completley un probable, but on the off chance a norwich city member looks at this and decides to act on it i would be more than happy.  I would love for Sharp to come and us to sign young british talent, but if foreign is cheaper and as good i am equally happy to go that way.

I agree, but where does Martin fit into this line-up?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]What would be your ideal Summer transfer window ?

I would like to see us sign Marshall or an equally capable goalkeeper. 

I would like to see 1 or 2 new central midfield players to challenge Safri and Etuhu, a right back (Otsemobor is lined up), and a central defender to keep Shackell and Doherty on their toes.

I would also like Norwich to keep Earnshaw, and sign a young strike parter who would be capable of forming a 40 - 50 goal partnership next season.

If any players choose to leave over the summer, I would also like them to be replaced.
[/quote]

[quote]where does Martin fit into this line-up?[/quote]If Earnshaw stayed and we signed Sharp / another capable forward, Martin would have to fight for his place in the team, or maybe go out on loan which I don''t see as a bad thing, he is quite young / inexperienced to be given a guaranteed spot in the first team of a championship promotion chasing side.  Sadly I can''t see Earnshaw staying.

Blahblahblah has pretty much got it right, although I would prefer to swap one midfielder for another centre back - preferably someone with some experience to sit beside Shackell. 

As for Martin JC, he is not yet the finished article and needs careful development over the coming season.  I hope we do not rush him or build up too much expectation so he ends up either believing his own publicity or the subject of derisive comment from the usual suspects. 

I would like the supporters club from another football team, to sign Smudger on a free. It will not matter to him where they play as he won''t go to a game anyway but he could start annoying another board. How about Wolves, ''£30million, is that all, pathetic'', Chelsea, ''bought no one in January and now buying kids, old men and little old Reading players, tut, moan etc. I''m sure that there are other clubs that he could be disappointed with and it won''t even matter if the season ticket prices have gone up to make it unattainable to the normal supporter as he doesn''t need to ever be there to know what ie wrong and what needs correcting.    

I''m in agreement with the majority of people - the defence is what needs sorting most and tbh this has been the case fror two seasons - we simply cannot be as lax next time out, to have shipped 71 goals this season is unacceptable.  I''d start with Marshall as keeper (at whatever cost) and at least 2 good defenders for cover (+ we have Cave Brown and Jarvis coming through).  

Elsewhere on the field we need to increase the depth generally - we do have decent players in most positions, just nowhere near enough cover which means players don''t need to fight for their places.  I''d settle for 6-7 new faces - a keeper, 2/3 defenders, 2/3 midfielders and a striker.....this would more than replace what we let go in MLJ/Thorne et al, but hopefully with better players who aren''t injured all the time.

I agree with much that has been said.

Additionally, I would like to see;

- A decent left back who can compete with / cover for Drury, so we don''t have to move Lappin back if Drury is injured. I''m sick of a match winning team getting changed because of injury, resulting in changes to other parts of the pitch because the squad is too small and unbalanced.

- A good defensive midfielder, to break up attacks. We haven''t effectively replaced Holty yet

- A central defensive leader. Someone who will help hold the defense together especially in the last few minutes of a game. We haven''t effectively replaced Malky yet.

- Someone who is captain material. First name on the team sheet (so can''t be Dublin at his age), leads by example (so can''t be Hucks!) and vocal with it (Drury out). It could be the defensive midfielder or one of the defenders mentioned above, but we don''t have him at the club yet.

So, David Marshall in goal, one centre back, a left back, a right back, two central midfielders one defensive one an excellent passer, and possibly another striker (BEFORE taking into account any players to go). I doubt we can get all 7 effectively over the summer, I would be happy if we get 5 of those. Oh and not loans, I want mainly younger players (with a couple of experienced heads in there) whose value will grow.

I would like to hear the manager state at the start of the season something along the lines of "We have brought in all my top targets to cover problem areas and i am very satisfied". Bleedin` obvious really.

i would love to see the following at city

karl hawley

cureton

billy jones

marvin elliot (when he can be bothered looks a good player)

alex jon baptiste along with a more experienced centre half like russel anderson

mashal

not sure theres much chance of even half of them coming to city but if we could get in ostembor marshal and cureton for starters id be happy with that

[quote]I would like to hear the manager state at the start of the season

something along the lines of "We have brought in all my top targets to

cover problem areas and i am very satisfied". Bleedin` obvious really.[/quote]Isn''t it fairly likely that he''ll say that anyway ?  If you''re Peter Grant, the last thing you''re going to do is go into the first game of the season saying "Well, I wish we''d got that central midfielder, because I''m not 100% happy with Safri, etc.".  Or am I being naieve ?How about having a crack at saying what you want to see happen over the summer, Mr Carrow ?  Or indeed anyone who isn''t happy with the way things are currently !

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]I would like to hear the manager state at the start of the season something along the lines of "We have brought in all my top targets to cover problem areas and i am very satisfied". Bleedin` obvious really.[/quote]

Isn''t it fairly likely that he''ll say that anyway ?  If you''re Peter Grant, the last thing you''re going to do is go into the first game of the season saying "Well, I wish we''d got that central midfielder, because I''m not 100% happy with Safri, etc.".  Or am I being naieve ?

How about having a crack at saying what you want to see happen over the summer, Mr Carrow ?  Or indeed anyone who isn''t happy with the way things are currently !
[/quote]

I think Grant is straightforward enough not to lie if he is not happy. And i don`t see why he should bring individual players into it. He may say something fairly nuetral like "we still need to strengthen certain areas but i think we can give it a shot with what we have". If however he feels he has had the full backing of the board and has improved the main areas of concern he won`t hide his delight. That is what i want to see.

We may be able to bring his top targets in, but evidence from the last two seasons (and few weeks) suggests that he will have to settle for "C" and "D" list players as Worthy had to. We don`t know yet so im afraid i can`t see the point in speculating.

Okay, for the umpteenth time our squad is perilously thin and a dozen of those players are inexperienced to boot - I believe a squad of at least 33 to 35 is imperative in this Division, so to be realistic, not only about any promotion chances, but also for survival - we need something like 8 to 10 signings with experience - a goalkeeper, 3 full-backs, 3 central-midfielders & 3 forwards would be ideal - that would create competition for places and quell any injury problems.

Of the names being bandied around I''d take Marshall, Hendrie, Rae, Sharp & Ostembor -- but don''t ask me which players I''d prefer to see come to City because I have no knowledge of who''s available as I''m not a football manager with a team of scouts.

Marshall

Otsemabor

New CB

Brelier

Sutton

If Eernie goes then Sharp/Cureton

Team:

Marshall

Otsemabor New CB Shack Drury

Chadwick Safri Etuhu Hucks

Sutton Earnshaw/Sharp/Cureton

[quote user="Shyster"]

Okay, for the umpteenth time our squad is perilously thin and a dozen of those players are inexperienced to boot - I believe a squad of at least 33 to 35 is imperative in this Division, so to be realistic, not only about any promotion chances, but also for survival - we need something like 8 to 10 signings with experience - a goalkeeper, 3 full-backs, 3 central-midfielders & 3 forwards would be ideal - that would create competition for places and quell any injury problems.

Of the names being bandied around I''d take Marshall, Hendrie, Rae, Sharp & Ostembor -- but don''t ask me which players I''d prefer to see come to City because I have no knowledge of who''s available as I''m not a football manager with a team of scouts.

[/quote]

We can''t afford a squad of 35 players.  Realistically what you want is 2 players for every position with a youngster as the 3rd extreme circumstances back up.  If I were PG the squad would look a little like this. (Bold = New)

GK      Marshall   Gallacher   Lewis

RB      Ostembor   Hughes   Cave-Brown (Hughes also cover for RM & CM)

LB      Drury   Dixon 

CB      Shackell   Doherty   Dublin   Baptiste   Elliot

RM      Croft   Chadwick   Smart

LM      Huckerby   Lappin   Eagle   (Lappin 3rd LB and cover for CM)

CM      Etuhu   Safri      Rae   Edwards   Jones   (Jones also cover for RB LB & CB)

ST        Earnshaw   Martin   Brown   Sharp   Risza   (Dublin extra cover for ST)

That is a squad of 29 players of which 5 are academy youngsters - so 24 senior professionals.  10 of those 24 are obviously new arrivals.

Marshall = 750,000 + add ons

Ostembor = free

Dixon = 150,000

Baptiste = 500,000 + add ons

Elliot = Free

Rae = Free

Edwards = 750,000

Jones = 300,000 tribunal

Sharp = 2,000,000 + player + add ons

Risza = 600,000 + add ons

Total Spend = 5,050,000

If we sold Earnshaw (lets say 4,500,000) with for example Carlton Cole for 2,000,000 as another poster suggests then our outlay would be 2,550,000.

Serious note to the board now - GET THESE PEOPLE IN BEFORE PRE-SEASON!!!!!!!! 

I agree with Jimmy500''s numbers and I also agree with Shyster''s point about not knowing who''s available and how good they may be. Hand on heart - how many of you have seen enough of the players whose names are bandied around here to form an opinion.

For me we need a goalkeeper like Marshall and also a goalkeeper to keep the bench warm. That way Lewis can go out on loan and play games. Gally has to go.

If we have signed Ostembor then I believe we need another left back and one more central defender.

I would play Huckerby up front so would sign cover for left midfield and one more quality central midfielder. Don''t forget we still have Fotheringham (I''m still not sure of his position mind!) and Jimmy forgot about Spillane who could well be pushing for a regular place next season, I really rate him.

I would also sign another forward.

All this is assuming nobody else leaves. If players leave we need to sign replacements of the same quality and specifically I''m thinking of Safri and Earnshaw here.

So that''s 2 keepers, LB, CD, LM, CM and a striker. 7 players! (8 including Ostembor)

[quote]I believe a squad of at least 33 to 35 is imperative in this Division[/quote]That would be a good squad size.  However, when we have a very small reserve league to play in, how do you keep 15 of those players match-fit / interested ?  I suppose the answer with the younger players is to loan them out and recall them if required.  But in a squad of this size the "2nd string" are going to find it tough getting match fit.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I agree with Jimmy500''s numbers and I also agree with Shyster''s point about not knowing who''s available and how good they may be. Hand on heart - how many of you have seen enough of the players whose names are bandied around here to form an opinion.

For me we need a goalkeeper like Marshall and also a goalkeeper to keep the bench warm. That way Lewis can go out on loan and play games. Gally has to go.

If we have signed Ostembor then I believe we need another left back and one more central defender.

I would play Huckerby up front so would sign cover for left midfield and one more quality central midfielder. Don''t forget we still have Fotheringham (I''m still not sure of his position mind!) and Jimmy forgot about Spillane who could well be pushing for a regular place next season, I really rate him.

All this is assuming nobody else leaves. If players leave we need to sign replacements of the same quality and specifically I''m thinking of Safri and Earnshaw here.

So that''s 2 keepers, LB, CD, LM, CM and a striker. 7 players! (8 including Ostembor)

[/quote]

Agree with your assessment NUTTY... it is 100% spot on (something that I can rarely attribute to your posts).

It just is NOT going to happen though is it???

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Spot on, I did forget Fozzy (easily done though, I had forgotten him by half time at times during last season and he was still on the pitch!!)

Spillane though, suprised I forgot him cause I really like the look of him.  The way he was snapping tackles in during the first half of the Ipswich game was great, one of the best tacklers I have seen at the club in ages.  With this in mind scrap Edwards off my list and stick Spillane in his place.  Lets also ditch Baptiste as Spillane can cover for him too.  That is roughly 750,000 + 500,000 = 1,250,000 off the transfer spend.

Outlay with Earnie = 3,800,000

Outlay without Earnie = 1,300,000

Considering my original point was all about the board having a gamble and splashing some cash this ''scenario'' is looking like less and less of a gamble every minute. 

Think about it, roughly 3.8m spent, Earnie still here and my potential squad.  Doesn''t look too bad does it.  Even better in my eyes is roughly 1.3m spent and Carlton Cole instead of Earnie.  Hand on heart I quite like the second of the 2.

With regards to Huckerby, I would play him on the left for sure.  Far more effective there than anyone else, especially in this division.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

So that''s 2 keepers, LB, CD, LM, CM and a striker. 7 players! (8 including Ostembor)[/quote]

Agree with your assessment NUTTY... it is 100% spot on (something that I can rarely attribute to your posts).

It just is NOT going to happen though is it???

[/quote]If it does, can you drop the drop the board tirades ?  For a day or two ?