Sign in to follow this  
gissing canary

if WBA want 7mill for Kamara, is 4.5 for earnie too little?

West Brom want 7mill for kamara or 6 in another thing i read.

Other posters on here think 4.5 to derby for earnie, IMO that is too little.  Kamara cant finish that well, was rubbish in the premiership for a 6-7mill striker, and his top flight record and chamionship record is below earnies, and he is 28.  can we not hold out for 6?  as everyone has now realised staying in the premier league is about goalscorers, so if they want to stay up hand it over.

In both these case, the first we will know of an actual fee is when it''s announced.  The Baggies might want 6 or 7 million, but might be happy to settle for 5.  Given that we bought Earnshaw for 2.75 million, 4.5 million would represent a reasonable profit.

Yes.

Let''s honestly look at Earnshaw for a second; what does he offer a side? Well, he offers a side a hard working, international class individual that has something which few other players have. A true eye for goal. A predator''s spirit. Few players have it; Shearer and Ruud Van Nistelrooy are two such players.

No I''m not comparing Earnshaw with those above. I''m saying that he has a quality which few have, and those that do go on to succeed. We were lucky to bring Earnshaw here, and even luckier to hold on to him. But it doesn''t mean we should let him go on the cheap. His goal scoring ability is like none other in this division and personally, I would be furious if the club lets him go for a penny under £6million, all up front, or £7million paid in instalments.

This club needs to stop selling us short. It needs to stop selling assets at such an underinflated price. Earnshaw is a real asset to any team, and the price tag should reflect that.

Sadly, if the rumours are true, it looks like this is far from the case. 

in a word yes.  Far too little for someone who is going to get you 20 goals minimum in a season.  It would be both stupid and naive for the club to accept this paltry sum.  It would also fly in the face of the guff they have been spouting in recent weeks about wanting a return to the Premiership.   I really hope they hold Earnie and the spine we have or we will simply tread water with the also rans. If this club has the ambition they keep harking on about, they will add another proven striker along side Earnie, so they can get 40 plus goals between them and get us a promotion spot.  As ever though it will be one in and one out.  The club historically put all their eggs in one basket and we become known as a one man club (a la Hucks and Ashton when they arrived) West Ham pre season game will be an indication of the type of squad we could have had.   Green, Davenport, Parker, Ashton, Earnie, Hucks, et all, but we fail to build a team when we have a star to build around.  I can see them taking the paltry sum and replacing with the squit, we have all become acumstomed too over the past 5 years.   

If we let Earnie go for any less than £5million it is an absolute JOKE... and yes somebody is willing to pay £6million to £7million for Kamara then we should be holding out for more!!!

But then City have always been prepared to let their players go on the cheap haven''t they???

[quote user="blahblahblah"]In both these case, the first we will know of an actual fee is when it''s announced.  The Baggies might want 6 or 7 million, but might be happy to settle for 5.  Given that we bought Earnshaw for 2.75 million, 4.5 million would represent a reasonable profit.[/quote]I disagree with you blahblah. The price we sell Earnie for shouldn''t be reflective of what we paid for him.We should ask for a lot more than 4.5 million...even 5 million! For goodness sake, we sold Chris Sutton for 5 million about 13 years ago!Earnshaw is a full international with the potential for 20 goals + every year. I would be gutted if he went for less than 7 million.

4.5 is pretty low for a player of Earnie''s goalscoring calibre, however i would be wary as a premiership manager that his overall team play may not always be as great as other players. Cant fault goals for team play though.

yes i think 4.5 million is far too cheap for a proven goal scorer at every level, when you think that preston want 7 million for  nugent,who just about managed 17 league goals . and cardiff will not sell chopra for less than 7 million, cos its written in his contract, that it is the minimum a club would have to pay for him to move on, earnie is our prized possesion a player who will guarantee you 20 plus goals a season, and thus is worth more than these two, cos they havent done it consistantly as earnie has, and to be honest i wouldnt want to sell earnie, imo you have to keep goalscorers they are a rarety, and thus cost big money, how will we replace him if he goes, cos dont rely on sharpe coming here, thats just speculation, we need to have a replacement in place before we sell earnie ,which i hope we dont do. o.t.b.c.

The 7 million is a combined bid for Kamara and Koumas therefore valuing them at 3.5m each. This would make an offer of 4.5m for Earnie about the going rate, however just for the record i think we should be building a team with him in it, afterall where else will we find a 30 goal a season striker?

Anything less than £6m in todays market would be a bit of a letdown. We should be doubling our money. Last season only proved that he scores goals wherever, despite spending half the season injured.

In consenus with the above.  Anything less than £5m will be scandelous.  £6m fair enough.  £7m is what he has to be worth. 

Proven at every level - Championship, Premiership and International.  Fit for a whole season and he will give you 20 goals plus, even in the Premiership.  His alround play, which is not the best, does lower his value, but he is still worth £7m all day long.

I don''t think it matters how many goals Earnshaw scores.

Look how many goals we conceded last season.

Neither he nor Hucks does defence. Big problem. Hucks is undroppable. Bigger problem.

They cannot co-exist in a promotion winning side in this day and age. Sad maybe, but true.

If Hucks was younger, I might say sell him and keep Earnshaw, but Earnie is the one with transfer value.

Sell Earnie and strengthen the team with the proceeds (plus) into a promotion winning outfit.

That''s my view - sorry it''s a bit off main subject but I think that the thread was starting to overvalue the effect of keeping Earnie on staff.

Time is passing for him and he wants off to the prem, so tell him thanks a lot and let him go. We''ll all be winners if the board gives Grant all the proceeds (plus) for team strengthening.

OTBC 

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

In consenus with the above.  Anything less than £5m will be scandelous.  £6m fair enough.  £7m is what he has to be worth. 

Proven at every level - Championship, Premiership and International.  Fit for a whole season and he will give you 20 goals plus, even in the Premiership.  His alround play, which is not the best, does lower his value, but he is still worth £7m all day long.

[/quote]

I agree that Earnie is proven at all levels including the Premiership, but I''m not sure we would get anything like 7m for him. He was proven at all levels when we paid 2.75m for him so if he is now worth two and a half times that our old mate Worthy must be Burglar Bill! [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

I agree that Earnie is proven at all levels including the Premiership, but I''m not sure we would get anything like 7m for him. He was proven at all levels when we paid 2.75m for him so if he is now worth two and a half times that our old mate Worthy must be Burglar Bill! [;)]

[/quote]

I''m with Nutty on this one - perhaps I missed something, but I''m not sure what Earnie has done to increase his transfer fee more than twofold, as some seem to think, in little more than one season.  Yes, he has a very good goalscoring record, but he had that before we signed him, and as I recall plenty of people weren''t too sure at us spending £3m on him, or whatever it was, at the time. 

Look at it all a different way: how many supporters of other sides would be chuffed at spending over £5m on him?  Not many, I''d have thought. 

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Neither he nor Hucks does defence. Big problem. Hucks is undroppable. Bigger problem.

They cannot co-exist in a promotion winning side in this day and age. Sad maybe, but true.

[/quote]

Eh??? You what?? The strikers/forwards are there to create and score the goals, the defenders are there to stop them.... you dont have a go at Shacks or Drury for not getting 20 goals as season do you??

[quote user="Eadies Right Foot"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

Eh??? You what?? The strikers/forwards are there to create and score the goals, the defenders are there to stop them.... you dont have a go at Shacks or Drury for not getting 20 goals as season do you??

[/quote]

Ahem.

That was in 1935 or so, I think. You know, 2-3-5 and all that.

All successful teams nowadays mainly defend as a unit and starting from the front. Pressing and blocking and tackling and maintaining their shape. .

An Earny and a Hucks - both of whom don''t do defence - in the same side is the type of  luxury that no team can afford these days, in my view, - if they are serious about winning football.

High seasonal goal tallies from ''goal hanging'' strikers rarely wins things these days.

IMHO.

One love.

OTBC

I think Bly is talking a lot of sense. Whilst I would love us to keep Earnie, I am coming round to the idea that if we *can* get 5m for him, we should sell, sell, sell. But that is taking into account that Fulham only bid 3.5m for Kamara.

I think Kamara''s a little underated to be honest and certainly a much better all round striker than Earnie. I remember being very impressed by him when we played Portsmouth in our Premiership season and on the few occasions I saw him last season I was impressed again. Earnie will score you more goals but what else does he offer you? In this day and age strikers need to be more than just goal getters, mainly because of the advent of the dreaded 4-5-1 system. Just look at all the defensive work that somebody like Didier Drigba puts in for Chelsea. Kamara offers you more of an all round game than Earnie, therefore he''s worth more IMO.

As sad as it is to admit it I think Bly''s probably right that Earnie and Hucks can''t co-exist in a team looking to win promotion. They can''t play up front together, neither of them are particulary great at holding the ball up, so if Earnie plays then Hucks has to be shunted out to the left. This weakens our left side defensively plus it make Hucks more "predictable" as defenders always know where he''s going to be.

For me the answer is to sell Earnie for about £4.5million (I can''t see how he can be worth any more than that) spend about £2million on a quality target man and play Hucks just behind him. You can then spend the rest, plus any other money that the Turners are rumored to have made available for transfers, on strengthening other areas of the squad.

Bly is right you attack as a team and defend as a team, our left side always seems so exposed. That is why Grant wanted lappin, he doesent offer so much in attack but at least he covers drury. A Prime example of this was when martin came on against the binners playing wide left. Martin jogged back and left drury 2 on 1, while they went on to score. So because earnie does not contribute to open play he will always be valued at around £4-£5million.