Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Reasons for loving Delia? Convince me to love her!

Im starting to see things a little different and am prepared listen to views in a diffent light. Ive realised some people have very good views on Delia and to be completely honest i dont have the answers to all your questions. I would like to turn things round a little and ask you why does Delia deserve our backing? I know some have said the turners have invested, but i dont class a 2m loan as investment. Im still not convinced its better to have Delia than seek a takeover/majoruty investment but am open to your thoughts. Theres a fella currently trying to set up a website who is going to run the campaign and i believe he is interested in taliking to the press and the club in a way that the ncisc have faled to do. Im not changing my stance or opinions as i feel we are going nowhere under the current regime the only way i may change my views is if there was serious investment during the summer as i feel it would bring back the feel good factor and maybe open up a few eyes around the country that norwich ARE ambitious and would have the knock on effect of signing decent players/investment. Thanks to all those who gave me get well messages and to all those who sent abusive messages about my health and campaign-get stuffed idiots! Smudger, Wayne and co ill leave a message on here when i know more about the website.

Cheers

Mr A.Whittle

your growing on me, good to see someone who will listen to the other side of an argument

The real reason Delia is a problem is that she has become bigger than the club.  However rich and famous the owner is, that just shouldn''t happen.  It doesn''t bode well for the future, I am sorry to say. 

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Im starting to see things a little different and am prepared listen to views in a diffent light. Ive realised some people have very good views on Delia and to be completely honest i dont have the answers to all your questions. I would like to turn things round a little and ask you why does Delia deserve our backing? I know some have said the turners have invested, but i dont class a 2m loan as investment. Im still not convinced its better to have Delia than seek a takeover/majoruty investment but am open to your thoughts. Theres a fella currently trying to set up a website who is going to run the campaign and i believe he is interested in taliking to the press and the club in a way that the ncisc have faled to do. Im not changing my stance or opinions as i feel we are going nowhere under the current regime the only way i may change my views is if there was serious investment during the summer as i feel it would bring back the feel good factor and maybe open up a few eyes around the country that norwich ARE ambitious and would have the knock on effect of signing decent players/investment. Thanks to all those who gave me get well messages and to all those who sent abusive messages about my health and campaign-get stuffed idiots! Smudger, Wayne and co ill leave a message on here when i know more about the website.

Cheers

Mr A.Whittle

[/quote]

Congratulations. There are 2 sides to every debate.

Personally, I sit somewhere in the middle on the whole Delia issue (I believe it''s called the fence....). I am prepared to acknowledge that in the past she has done some good things for this club but no-one in their right mind can say that the board have got much right in the last couple of years. I think the board was getting stale and to the end of its "natural life" much like Worthy had before them. However, they have taken steps to freshen up the board with the appointment of the Turner''s. There seems to be a reliable rumour that the investment of the Turner''s is more than the £2M put out in the press and some more encourging noises are coming out of the club at the moment but these needs to be backed up with positive action in the form of some actual signings arriving through the door. Talks of protests etc at this time is not good and is damaging to the club and will not assist Grant & Co''s attempts to bring talented new players to the club. No player wants to play against a back drop of protests and protests are usully reflected in poor on the field performances. Some of the performances during the Chase out demo''s were far worse than anything we witnessed over the last couple of years.

I feel that we should await developments in the transfer market and see how the first 10 games of the season go. If we have only signed a few freebies and journeymen and are at the wrong end then more and more people will be agreeing with your thinking. If we have spent £5 million in the transfer market (or more if Earnie goes) and start the season well then any protests are going to look rather foolish! Sadly, I suspect we will be somewhere in between with maybe one or two decent signings plus a few freebies and promising youngsters and that we will be mid table again next year.

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Cheers

Mr A.Whittle

[/quote]

Congratulations. There are 2 sides to every debate.

Personally, I sit somewhere in the middle on the whole Delia issue (I believe it''s called the fence....). I am prepared to acknowledge that in the past she has done some good things for this club but no-one in their right mind can say that the board have got much right in the last couple of years. I think the board was getting stale and to the end of its "natural life" much like Worthy had before them. However, they have taken steps to freshen up the board with the appointment of the Turner''s. There seems to be a reliable rumour that the investment of the Turner''s is more than the £2M put out in the press and some more encourging noises are coming out of the club at the moment but these needs to be backed up with positive action in the form of some actual signings arriving through the door. Talks of protests etc at this time is not good and is damaging to the club and will not assist Grant & Co''s attempts to bring talented new players to the club. No player wants to play against a back drop of protests and protests are usully reflected in poor on the field performances. Some of the performances during the Chase out demo''s were far worse than anything we witnessed over the last couple of years.

I feel that we should await developments in the transfer market and see how the first 10 games of the season go. If we have only signed a few freebies and journeymen and are at the wrong end then more and more people will be agreeing with your thinking. If we have spent £5 million in the transfer market (or more if Earnie goes) and start the season well then any protests are going to look rather foolish! Sadly, I suspect we will be somewhere in between with maybe one or two decent signings plus a few freebies and promising youngsters and that we will be mid table again next year.

[/quote]

Hi STEVIE,

Can''t agree with what you state in the first paragraph mate about talk of protest damaging the club... we went through all that with us not being able to protest last year... it is the the sit back and do nothing approach of so many that has been damaging the club for the past 2 to 3 years so how can you claim that protest will damage the club any more than what fans have been doing recently?

I think that the highlighted paragraph is spot on though and I am totally in that camp myself... I expect £2million+ to be spent if nobody else is sold and £7million to be spent if Earnie is sold... no more, no less!!!  I do not see how anybody can say that is expecting too much... can you???

Smudger

The main reason that protests now would damage the clubs prospects are this:

The Turners have been here under 2 months.  Say we protest at the

first home game in August. Thats when they''ve been on board 4 months

and haven''t had a full transfer window.  

Say you were an investor coming in you could buy us, of someother

club.  There are pros and cons of both, but we edge it.  Then

they discover that we have a pan base which has protested about two

different issues in under 1 (non-calender) year, and attemped to oust

from the board new very rich directors within 4 months - what do you

think "these guys need my help" or "these guys could be serious

trouble".  It''ll be the second one - so that tips the balence away

from us.

Would you really still protest if they spend more than you want ("£7million to be spent if Earnie is sold... no more, no less!!!")

Arthur

I agree pretty much with Stevie, however much it may seem otherwise, I

just object strongly to people argueing using fabrications and

misquotes. 

I also am wary of foreign investors because I am not convinced that

when bad times come - and they will, they are as inevitable as death

and taxes - that a foreign investor would do whats best for the

club.  They are in it for themselves, so when their intrests and

the clubs are the same, and when things go well they will be, all will

be fine. When things go badly these intrests will diverge and they will

act in their own intrests, against the clubs best intrests, just when

the club need them and we will be in BIG trouble then, far more than we

are now.

Well Arthur, if you are still feeling a bit shaky after your recent health scare you can come round to mine for tea and I''ll put on a spread of Delia''s finest fare for you....that will make you love her.

Can''t profess to being able to convince you re her boardroom activities though.  Maybe a mouthful of her sticky toffee pud and you''d be speechless long enough for me to get my point across   lol

[quote user="7rew"]Smudger
The main reason that protests now would damage the clubs prospects are this:

The Turners have been here under 2 months.  Say we protest at the first home game in August. Thats when they''ve been on board 4 months and haven''t had a full transfer window.  

Say you were an investor coming in you could buy us, of someother club.  There are pros and cons of both, but we edge it.  Then they discover that we have a pan base which has protested about two different issues in under 1 (non-calender) year, and attemped to oust from the board new very rich directors within 4 months - what do you think "these guys need my help" or "these guys could be serious trouble".  It''ll be the second one - so that tips the balence away from us.

Would you really still protest if they spend more than you want ("£7million to be spent if Earnie is sold... no more, no less!!!")

Arthur
I agree pretty much with Stevie, however much it may seem otherwise, I just object strongly to people argueing using fabrications and misquotes. 
I also am wary of foreign investors because I am not convinced that when bad times come - and they will, they are as inevitable as death and taxes - that a foreign investor would do whats best for the club.  They are in it for themselves, so when their intrests and the clubs are the same, and when things go well they will be, all will be fine. When things go badly these intrests will diverge and they will act in their own intrests, against the clubs best intrests, just when the club need them and we will be in BIG trouble then, far more than we are now.[/quote]

No I would not protest if the above happened 7rew.... but it ain''t going to is it???

If Earnie isn''t sold then I would expect us to spend at least £3million... don''t want to hear excuses unless they have done all in there power to make sure that we do not have another poor season then there are many fans who will just not listen to any more excuses.

Think potential buyers would look at us all the more if there were protests... it would show that the City fans care... nobody in the country can question the City fans passion and loyalty and everybody knows that they desrve so much better... but as with the club we are again in danger of becoming a joke... because we are far too prepared to accept any c**p that is dished up to us.

The only reason a number of potential buyers are not prepared to look at us?  DELIA SMITH!!!

If there was sustained protest against Delia for a number of months then I am sure that a good prospective buyer would come out of the woodwork... while many of you sit in support of a woman who has stated "that investment from outside of Norfolk is not welcome" however then we have little or "NO CHANCE" of finding a buyer that can take our club forward in the direction that it''s potential warrants.

Everybody makes mistakes it''s how you react to them that is what should be judged, up until the last 2/3 years delia & co have had a fantastic record bringing stability & then success to the club.

Now things have started going wrong and mistakes have been made (not signing Ashton until January was madness) the question is how will they react to these mistakes? they have already found fresh local investment for the club people who actually care about our club in the turners, if they can couple that with a moderate amount of investment this summer & and a more ambitious outlook then i would say that they''ve learnt from thier mistakes, and they will continue to have my support.  

If on the other hand we get to january and nothing has changed i will be joining you with your protests.

I have no strong feelings either way Arthur. I was happy when she stepped in when the club was nearly broke. I don''t hold with all those who reckon it was Watling that saved the club because he didn''t have the money to do it. She did, and there was nobody else on the horizon.

I would be more than happy to see here step aside if somebody came in with a load of cash but its not a likely prospect. Those who think that she is an obstacle and if only she stepped out of the way a rich suitor would step in are living in a dream world. Its not going to happen.

We would all like to see more money spent on a genuine attempt to get promotion. Unfortunately none of us on this forum have any idea of how much is available and how much it would be safe to gamble.

Well, don''t want to try and convince you of anything Arthur, but do want to wish you well & hope you are well and truly over your health worries soon. Been there myself over the last eighteen months or so, know what its like for it to be a daily issue and worry over a long period of time. All the best mate...

Hmmm, another new thread started when questions from previous ones remain unanswered.

I''m beginning to think that Herb might be right about you!

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Hmmm, another new thread started when questions from previous ones remain unanswered.

[/quote]

Did you struggle to read/understand my post and the stance im currently taking. Well as i said my views have not changed but after some very well put questions i honestly dont have the answer to them all but i would like to know why my views are so hard for people to except when the club are clearly on the wrong tracks. Im trying to see how and why people feel the way they do about the board so to give me a better opinion or arguement on them. I thought the tread in itself is self explainatory. Ps its good to see Herbs pointless remarks about me are rubbing off on one person, i bet hes sitting there now thinking about his next interesting comment about the state of our club. Pure class Herb,pure class.

[quote]Well as i said my views have not changed but after some very well put

questions i honestly dont have the answer to them all but i would like

to know why my views are so hard for people to except when the club are

clearly on the wrong tracks.[/quote]Arthur, It''s not that your views are hard to accept.  They are your views, you are as entitled to them as anyone else.  However, your views appear not to be shared by many on this board at this moment in time.  In my experience, protest tends to be spontaneous and has to come from genuine grievance for it to have any meaning.  Quite a few people on this message board don''t feel aggrieved with the board, they don''t feel that the board are dishonest in the way they do their business, and they feel that while the board may have their failings, as we all do, they are decent people trying their best for our team.  The only way I can see a genuine protest occuring is if we have a disastrous 2007 / 08 season, and I don''t think any NCFC supporter wants that to happen.P.S. You do yourself no favours by continuing a running argument while ducking constructive criticism.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

Did you struggle to read/understand my post and the stance im currently taking. Well as i said my views have not changed but after some very well put questions i honestly dont have the answer to them all but i would like to know why my views are so hard for people to except when the club are clearly on the wrong tracks. Im trying to see how and why people feel the way they do about the board so to give me a better opinion or arguement on them. I thought the tread in itself is self explainatory. Ps its good to see Herbs pointless remarks about me are rubbing off on one person, i bet hes sitting there now thinking about his next interesting comment about the state of our club. Pure class Herb,pure class.

[/quote]

OK Arthur, clearly I''m struggling to see your point here but the way I see it things have gone a little bit like this :

1. You emerge on this message board one day and announce to your people that you have taken over from Lee Oliver as the spokesman for the anti-board demo group (apologies if I''ve got your role or the name of your group wrong).

2. Wary of what happened last time somebody tried this tactic on the board many posters ask you to detail your grievances with the board and set out your plan to improve our performances.

3. You produce ''My problems with the board, part 1''. The majority of posters treat you with respect, you are a vast improvement on the last spokesman, and even agree with some of your points. The majority of those that disagree with you put forward their arguments calmly and rationally without resorting to personal insults, yet you see fit to ignore them and let the thread, and therefore any reasoned debate, disappear.

4. After prompting from some posters you produce ''My problems with the board, part 2''. You say that the intention of this thread is to enable posters to leave you questions regarding your views and how will go about your campaign. Even more posters leave questions for you but, notwithstanding your illness, you choose to ignore them and get involved with petty arguments with Herb.

5. After letting the other two threads slip away you decide to start two more, one seems to be a rather pitiful whine about why nobody will agree with you and the other asks other posters to tell you why you should love Delia. The second post is quite clever, I''ll give you that, as it turns the burden of proof over to the people who disagree with you.

Bearing the above in mind ''My problem with Arthur Whittle, part 1'' is that each time more than a couple of people disagree with you one of your threads you lose your bottle and set up another one. Perhaps you think that if you spread the debate over many threads you can dilute the evidence against you, which at the minute tells the story that very few people are interested in your protests.

My final point is that it is not up to anybody to tell you why they love Delia, incidentally I don''t think anybody really does. It is up to you to convince us why she (and the rest of the board, try not to make it personal) should be replaced.

Some intresting points by shack Arthur. I dont believe anyone loves Delia, i think its just a case of people are frightened of change and some have only been following the club with Delia in charge so knnow no different.

Hope you feel better soon.

Off to Las vegas for 2 weeks in the morning so roll out the dice and ill speak to you all in a fortnight.

Arthur:

Let me just add another voice agreeing with Shack almost entirely from his last post.

Wayne:

You accused alot of people of being afraid of change and not knowing any different from Delia.

I have some points about these and being me, I will address in my own way:

1) I am 23. This is not mny fault nor is it a crime.  The result

of it is that the only boards I could realisitically have experienced

are the current one, main share holder Smith, or the very end of the

Chase led board! so you are right I have known no (good) different

alternative.  Certainly when I was 13 I took no intrest in the

board, who does at that age.

But my other point is this:

2) NO-ONE has any other experience of a board running a modern football

club.  Particularly since the introduction of the premier league

football has changed beyond all recognition, the great boards of the

past (I assume there were some as your point would be groundless

otherwise) were running the club in a totally different environment and

are pretty much incomparable.

3) On the point about being afraid of change.  This is perfectly

true.  Are you not? Really?  Being afraid of change is

natural and is a survival mechanism. Any one who isn''t afraid of change

is deluded.

Changing the board is a risky business, particularly when you don''t

know who the replacement is, as this increases uncertainty. 

Changing the board is only a good thing if we do better than we would

have done with this board.  So we then have to work out how likely

we consider that to be.

This is where we will differ considerably.  I expect to see a

small improvement next season under this board. Others have different

opinions.

So what would a takeover be likely to achieve?  well that also is

a matter of opinion - but it is not a fix all solution!  The

outcome is stilll uncertain, people like Ridsdale (leeds), Romanov

(hearts), Spackman (millwall) and the bloke at wrexham prove that

takeovers can go horribly wrong, just as Abramovich proves they can go

right.   In my opinion there would probably be a very

slightly larger improvent. However how big will the difference be? Will

it be big enough to be worth the risk of losing everything? 

In my opinion, NO. Why? Because I think the average difference (over

all possible outcomes) would be only 2 or 3 places over 2

seasons.  Couple that with the fact that I doubt that, when things

go bad, a foreign (non-fan) investor would do whats best for the club I

feel the long term implications for the club would actually be lower

over the medium to long term than with the current board.

Please note "2 or 3 places over 2 seasons" doesn''t mean 13th/14th in 2 years - It means 8th/9th as opposed to 11th.

[quote user="7rew"]Arthur:
Let me just add another voice agreeing with Shack almost entirely from his last post.

Wayne:
You accused alot of people of being afraid of change and not knowing any different from Delia.
I have some points about these and being me, I will address in my own way:

1) I am 23. This is not mny fault nor is it a crime.  The result of it is that the only boards I could realisitically have experienced are the current one, main share holder Smith, or the very end of the Chase led board! so you are right I have known no (good) different alternative.  Certainly when I was 13 I took no intrest in the board, who does at that age.

But my other point is this:
2) NO-ONE has any other experience of a board running a modern football club.  Particularly since the introduction of the premier league football has changed beyond all recognition, the great boards of the past (I assume there were some as your point would be groundless otherwise) were running the club in a totally different environment and are pretty much incomparable.

3) On the point about being afraid of change.  This is perfectly true.  Are you not? Really?  Being afraid of change is natural and is a survival mechanism. Any one who isn''t afraid of change is deluded.

Changing the board is a risky business, particularly when you don''t know who the replacement is, as this increases uncertainty.  Changing the board is only a good thing if we do better than we would have done with this board.  So we then have to work out how likely we consider that to be.
This is where we will differ considerably.  I expect to see a small improvement next season under this board. Others have different opinions.
So what would a takeover be likely to achieve?  well that also is a matter of opinion - but it is not a fix all solution!  The outcome is stilll uncertain, people like Ridsdale (leeds), Romanov (hearts), Spackman (millwall) and the bloke at wrexham prove that takeovers can go horribly wrong, just as Abramovich proves they can go right.   In my opinion there would probably be a very slightly larger improvent. However how big will the difference be? Will it be big enough to be worth the risk of losing everything? 

In my opinion, NO. Why? Because I think the average difference (over all possible outcomes) would be only 2 or 3 places over 2 seasons.  Couple that with the fact that I doubt that, when things go bad, a foreign (non-fan) investor would do whats best for the club I feel the long term implications for the club would actually be lower over the medium to long term than with the current board.

Please note "2 or 3 places over 2 seasons" doesn''t mean 13th/14th in 2 years - It means 8th/9th as opposed to 11th.
[/quote]

In reply to your post i just feel that its all very hypothetical. What i believe and this is where i differ to many posters is that it is a risk worth taking as 10 years of this board has gave us very limited success and much medicroce. Yes the Turners have come in but what do we know of them apart from a 2Mill interest free loan, which althouh helpful is hardly investment. Look at Portsmouth and no doubt Leicester and Derby and More than likely Wolves ,clubs i believe not much if not at all bigger than norwich all promoting themselves as ambitious clubs and willing to gamble on outside investment and Clubs that either Are or likely goin to be in the Prem. Yes there are examples of clubs going the other way but i just cant be doing this mid-table rubbish anymore.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

In reply to your post i just feel that its all very hypothetical.

Yes the Turners have come in but what do we know of them apart from a

2Mill interest free loan, which althouh helpful is hardly investment.

[/quote]

That is infact precisely my point - until such a time as some facts are

know about a replacement board, there is nothing we can know about

them.  Consequently all we are left with is hypothetical

situations and they certainly don''t all involve the premiership.

On the Turners, yes we only know 3 things - they are city fans (surely

a positive thing),  they have given an announced 2 million loan

and that they are VERY rich.  They are worth £75m more than the

owners of Hearts or Blackpool for example (the arguements about this

being paper/theoretical money apply to all very rich people).

But:

* Thats three things more than we know about anyone else that is/may become involved.

* Intrest free loans to football clubs are very

common and very few are ever recalled. It is also has benefitial tax

implications doing it this     way. There was a very good thread on this

subject, just before you signed up, by Cambridge Canary. 

As an

example Geoffrey Watling gave the club alot of money in this form and the loans were writen off on his death.

* The club are supposed to be "masters of spin" (yet

smudger always sees straight through it?).  Consequently any

statement they make     we are not supposed to believe.  So why

believe the one about the loan being £2m?

The board had to anounce (by law) the new board members, so it was

clear they must have invested something.  So a small loan was

announced which says we no longer have to sell players.  This puts

us in a better position in the transfer market, as does people not

knowing how much we have to spend - so this is, at the moment, in the

best intrests of the club to down play the size of any

investment.  Maybe there is another loan, or will be (ie agreed

already but not put inplace yet).

The Turners have got a lot of power for their 1% stake and £2m loan -

they now have as much power as the Wynn-Joneses with a 51% stake and

twice as much as Skipper did with the same stake. This is because while

shareholder votes work on weighting by shares, boardroom matters are

conducted on a 1 member 1 vote system. Especially if Delia is the

control freak she is often described as by some, but even if she isn''t,

because new members have to be voted on to the board by existing ones

(and each individual board member would have even less power) the

Turners must have offered something pretty large in order to get two

seats.

Certainly the club is involved in bids for much more expensive players

than you would expect if finaces were at the we can survive without

selling players stage.

My general point is that I think the Turners deserve a chance to prove

themselves before we all go haring on about removing the board. 

That chance must be two transfer windows - so after January. If a

manger can''t be judged on his preformances with someone elses squad, so

gets a year to make it his own, the board members, who have a less

hands on role can''t be objectively judged for a similar period.

Also I feel that removing the board without giving the Turners a chance

would put off potential investors as  they would be afraid of not

getting a fair chance to work their magic before being booted out.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK Arthur, clearly I''m struggling to see your point here but the way I see it things have gone a little bit like this :

1. You emerge on this message board one day and announce to your people that you have taken over from Lee Oliver as the spokesman for the anti-board demo group (apologies if I''ve got your role or the name of your group wrong).

2. Wary of what happened last time somebody tried this tactic on the board many posters ask you to detail your grievances with the board and set out your plan to improve our performances.

3. You produce ''My problems with the board, part 1''. The majority of posters treat you with respect, you are a vast improvement on the last spokesman, and even agree with some of your points. The majority of those that disagree with you put forward their arguments calmly and rationally without resorting to personal insults, yet you see fit to ignore them and let the thread, and therefore any reasoned debate, disappear.

4. After prompting from some posters you produce ''My problems with the board, part 2''. You say that the intention of this thread is to enable posters to leave you questions regarding your views and how will go about your campaign. Even more posters leave questions for you but, notwithstanding your illness, you choose to ignore them and get involved with petty arguments with Herb.

5. After letting the other two threads slip away you decide to start two more, one seems to be a rather pitiful whine about why nobody will agree with you and the other asks other posters to tell you why you should love Delia. The second post is quite clever, I''ll give you that, as it turns the burden of proof over to the people who disagree with you.

Bearing the above in mind ''My problem with Arthur Whittle, part 1'' is that each time more than a couple of people disagree with you one of your threads you lose your bottle and set up another one. Perhaps you think that if you spread the debate over many threads you can dilute the evidence against you, which at the minute tells the story that very few people are interested in your protests.

My final point is that it is not up to anybody to tell you why they love Delia, incidentally I don''t think anybody really does. It is up to you to convince us why she (and the rest of the board, try not to make it personal) should be replaced.

[/quote]

Fair enough Arthur, you''ve obviously got no desire to debate with people who disagree with your views so I''ll leave it at that.

Personally I think the mods should ban you from starting up any new thread until you answer the question that you invited on the previous one, but that''s just my opinion.

I have to be absolutely honest Arthur, I''m not really bothered whether you love Delia or not, lol! [:D] If you did, I suspect you would be in an exceedingly tiny minority anyway.