Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

How long?............

Before the good old, over used statement of  ''we go with what we''ve got!'' is trotted out?.

I''ll guarentee that either Mumbles, Doomy or Grant will utter those infamous and  hallowed words at a press conference this window. My money''s on mid-late July, but perhaps you have more faith in our board than I.

Call me a cynic if you like, but  it seems that I''ve been hearing that same old cr*p for every transfer window in the last decade!. 

Other than that, it''ll be the last minute panic buy (Jarret, Thorne and Brown come on down!) its becoming a regular ritual at City these days...................just like Christmas, but without the prezzies.

Oh, I could weep!.

1st July will be a good day to judge the ambition of the club.  At least 1, hopefully 2 qulity players will be signed by then.  It''s no good joining halfway through pre-season, they need to be in place before hand.

I do think though that this season, unlike past years we can''t get away with ''going with what we have got''.  The squad is painfully thin, and although I think that there is quality in the squad there just isn''t enough depth.  I reckon the board and PG know''s this as well as anyone.

If we don''t unshackle the purse strings now and have a gamble then we seriously face being lost in a sea of mediocrity for a long time.  Nottingham Forest or Bolton Wanderers - LET THE BOARD DECIDE.......

Yet more dishonest wailing and gnashing of teeth from old pointy hat, laying the mines so that when one goes up, you can claim a scalp.So far in this close season we have been linked with Varney, Sharp, Rae, Otsemobor and Marvin Elliot, and that Irish boy. Our scouts have been seen in Poland, Hungary, Belgium, Ireland, and the USA.  In Bryan Gunn we now have someoone working full-time on just transfers.  Last season, nobody did transfer business this early, and we were on holiday.  (...To think I used to back that manager...).If you can''t see the difference between last seasons'' activity and this seasons'' activity, then I can''t help you.

Nice to see you''ve dropped the bold and lessened the use of the dots, Wiz. I can take your argument more seriously now, as I can see it''s not written by some 6 year old with the desire to feel their arguements are better than everyone else.

It''s worrying; the day before the fixture lists are announced, when the season starts to get serious and where do we find the club at? The frank assessment is worrying; we appear no closer to any signing of significance than we did when the season ends. We make absurd (of course Strachan isn''t going to let as highly rated a keeper as David Marshall go for £500k and the same goes for a highly rated Paul Dixon, why would you sell one of your better prospects for £100k?) bids for these players and get knocked back.

We''re not seeing any progress and frankly that concerns me. This was to be a big summer and so far Grant has failed to bring the players in that he needs.

Let''s hope I''m wrong, and that progress is being made; but frankly I think we should have made further inroads than this at this stage.

[quote]We make absurd (of course Strachan isn''t going to let as highly rated a

keeper as David Marshall go for £500k and the same goes for a highly

rated Paul Dixon, why would you sell one of your better prospects for

£100k?) bids for these players and get knocked back.[/quote]I think I''m right in saying that both these players are under 23 (which I believe means that their fee will go to a tribunal if the players say that they want to leave), and have 1 year left of their contracts.  Goalkeepers are also historically cheap unless they are full internationals.  I think we are perfectly entitled to haggle, if it takes a month to bring them in and saves money to enable us to bring in another player out of our budget, where''s the problem ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Yet more dishonest wailing and gnashing of teeth from old pointy hat, laying the mines so that when one goes up, you can claim a scalp.

So far in this close season we have been linked with Varney, Sharp, Rae, Otsemobor and Marvin Elliot, and that Irish boy. Our scouts have been seen in Poland, Hungary, Belgium, Ireland, and the USA.  In Bryan Gunn we now have someoone working full-time on just transfers.  Last season, nobody did transfer business this early, and we were on holiday.  (...To think I used to back that manager...).

If you can''t see the difference between last seasons'' activity and this seasons'' activity, then I can''t help you.
[/quote]

Players who are just linked with us Blah, won''t get us promoted, signed ones might though!!. and I have to remind you, that we still haven''t signed anyone yet, so there no change from last season at all really, is there?.

Wings:

Good thoughtful reply mate, keep it up.

Nice to see you agree at last that you were wrong about Nigel Worthington!

I can see the difference in effort this season, but our bids so far have been far below what is required.  However I still hold on to hope that we are playing a waiting game that will eventually bear fruit.  I notice that Celtic are now changing their tune on Marshall for example.

However, I still cling to the info that the Turners have put cash in and that we have around 3 million plus whatever.  If we make no million plus signings before this window closes, and lose (note the spelling to all of those who continually type ''loose'' !!) Earnshaw, then I fear for our status in the Championship.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I think we are perfectly entitled to haggle, if it takes a month to bring them in and saves money to enable us to bring in another player out of our budget, where''s the problem ?
[/quote]

I think that was Worth''s attitude, unfortunatly after months of wastyed time we didn''t end up signing most of the players involved, and other possible targets were then already gone. We haggled and got Andy Hughes cheap though.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Before the good old, over used statement of  ''we go with what we''ve got!'' is trotted out?.

I''ll guarentee that either Mumbles, Doomy or Grant will utter those infamous and  hallowed words at a press conference this window. My money''s on mid-late July, but perhaps you have more faith in our board than I.

Call me a cynic if you like, but  it seems that I''ve been hearing that same old cr*p for every transfer window in the last decade!. 

Other than that, it''ll be the last minute panic buy (Jarret, Thorne and Brown come on down!) its becoming a regular ritual at City these days...................just like Christmas, but without the prezzies.

Oh, I could weep!.

[/quote]

With the current squad''s numbers made up of a whopping 12 inexperienced youth to make a total of 28 players..........

3Flag of EnglandDFAdam Drury (captain)
4Flag of EnglandDFJason Shackell
6Flag of EnglandFWDarren Huckerby
7Flag of EnglandMFLee Croft
9Flag of EnglandFWDion Dublin
10Flag of WalesFWRobert Earnshaw
11Flag of EnglandMFLuke Chadwick
14Flag of EnglandFWChris Brown
15Flag of MoroccoMFYoussef Safri
16Flag of ScotlandMFMark Fotheringham
17Flag of EnglandMFAndrew Hughes
19Flag of ScotlandMFSimon Lappin
20Flag of NigeriaMFDickson Etuhu
21Flag of ScotlandGKPaul Gallacher

No.PositionPlayer
23Flag of EnglandFWRyan Jarvis
24Flag of NetherlandsDFJurgen Colin
25Flag of EnglandDFRossi Jarvis
26Flag of EnglandMFRobert Eagle
27Flag of Republic of IrelandDFGary Doherty
28Flag of Republic of IrelandMFMichael Spillane
29Flag of EnglandDFMatthew Halliday
30Flag of EnglandGKJoe Lewis
31Flag of ScotlandMFAndrew Cave-Brown
33Flag of ScotlandFWKris Renton
34Flag of EnglandGKSteven Arnold
35Flag of EnglandFWChris Martin
36Flag of South AfricaMFBally Smart
37Flag of EnglandMF

Patrick Bexfield

...........I reckon you could be right with the "Go with what we''ve got" statement, Wiz.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Yet more dishonest wailing and gnashing of teeth from old pointy hat, laying the mines so that when one goes up, you can claim a scalp.

So far in this close season we have been linked with Varney, Sharp, Rae, Otsemobor and Marvin Elliot, and that Irish boy. Our scouts have been seen in Poland, Hungary, Belgium, Ireland, and the USA.  In Bryan Gunn we now have someoone working full-time on just transfers.  Last season, nobody did transfer business this early, and we were on holiday.  (...To think I used to back that manager...).

If you can''t see the difference between last seasons'' activity and this seasons'' activity, then I can''t help you.
[/quote]

Methinks blah3 doth protest too much . . . why prolong this thread by responding to it, if it winds you up as much as you say?  

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

The difference blah lies in Munby''s statement about "being seen to be trying".  They''re feeding the press more information that''s all.  That''s something Worthy was not keen on, unless and until there was a realistic chance of signing the player.  Perhaps this is what Munby meant by "being cleverer"?  Personally I could do without it.

Nothing had actually happened at this stage last season.  Nothing has actually happened this season either.  That''s not to say it won''t, but it hasn''t yet. 

[quote]The difference blah lies in Munby''s statement about "being seen to be

trying".  They''re feeding the press more information that''s all. [/quote]Information about a bid for Sharp came from Scunthorpe.  Information about a bid for Varney came from Varney himself !  Marshall did an interview in the Daily Record saying that he couldn''t wait to get back here, and Otsomobors'' agent was the one who announced his expected arrival.How remarkably clever of the board to put words into so many peoples'' mouths.  Never underestimate Mr. Munby [;)]

[quote user="CJF"]I think that was Worth''s attitude, unfortunatly after months of wastyed

time we didn''t end up signing most of the players involved, and other

possible targets were then already gone. We haggled and got Andy Hughes

cheap though.[/quote]Blimey CJF - that took me back a season or two !  Andy Hughes is currently our best right-back, remember ? [;)]So what you''re saying is that we should pay over the odds for players, because we might not get them, and there aren''t any other alternatives ?  It wouldn''t be the end of the world if, for example, Marshall or Paul Dixon didn''t come here.  You actually said in another thread that if Marshall wants to sit on a bench in Glasgow then he''s not the player we want anyway.  There are other keepers equally as capable and cheaper, if not free due to being out of contract, and 250k for cover for a left-back seems like a waste of money to me if you can get the player next season on a free.

[quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

The difference blah lies in Munby''s statement about "being seen to be trying".  They''re feeding the press more information that''s all.  That''s something Worthy was not keen on, unless and until there was a realistic chance of signing the player.  Perhaps this is what Munby meant by "being cleverer"?  Personally I could do without it.

Nothing had actually happened at this stage last season.  Nothing has actually happened this season either.  That''s not to say it won''t, but it hasn''t yet. 

[/quote]

Have you forgotten that myself and Wiz are clairvoyants MYSTIC... nothing has happened yet and nothing that is going to make us serious play-off contenders is going to happen either...  I can see it in my balls MYSTIC!!!  [;)]

it hasnt in any pre season for years...

under Hamilton we signed a few players.. but even Walker, Rioch and Worthy didnt exactly bolster the club with new signings every year....

Mike Walker only made 2cash signings in that summer for us before he left... Craig Fleming and Iwan Roberts.... wonder what ever happened to them?

jas :)

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]So far in this close season we have been linked with Varney, Sharp, Rae, Otsemobor and Marvin Elliot, and that Irish boy.[/quote]

Players who are just linked with us Blah, won''t get us promoted, signed ones might though!!. and I have to remind you, that we still haven''t signed anyone yet, so there no change from last season at all really, is there?.

[/quote]Otsemobor has been all but announced by the club on a free.  I think we will get Rae, although his fitness may be a stumbling block.  We might well get Marvin Elliot too, this may be to bring up squad numbers, or he could be a rough diamond.Of those above, the most obvious sign of good things to come would be Billy Sharp, if we can get him away from Wolves, I for one can''t see it happening.  But to write next season off now as you seem to be doing in your first post is just plain ridiculous.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]The difference blah lies in Munby''s statement about "being seen to be trying".  They''re feeding the press more information that''s all. [/quote]

Information about a bid for Sharp came from Scunthorpe.  Information about a bid for Varney came from Varney himself !  Marshall did an interview in the Daily Record saying that he couldn''t wait to get back here, and Otsomobors'' agent was the one who announced his expected arrival.

How remarkably clever of the board to put words into so many peoples'' mouths.  Never underestimate Mr. Munby [;)]
[/quote]

. . . And you''re putting words in my mouth blah.  You know perfectly well that I''m not saying Mr Munby or anyone else at the club has made it up.  Most of this information was published on the club''s own website (under "Media Talk") without comment, ie. without either confirming or denying it.  Unless I am very much mistaken, that''s where the local press got it from.  Some people will be pleased that the club now has its very own "Rumours" section.  I''m not.  A little less talk, a little more action is what I''m looking for.

I am in total agreement with Mystic on this one. I am not interested in any amount of "let''s try and placate the fans" speak. Park that please. What''s required between now and the beginning of the season ( preferably ) or, at the very least by the end of August, is two or three real good signings and reasonable quality squad strengthening. In the interim, the club needs to put a muzzle on such mutterings from anyone in the club and the press needs to do a better job by pressing home tough questions to the club on behalf of the fans instead of processing the same old bunk that can be simply pulled out of past issues with a new date stamped on it. In other words we need to do what any succesful business should strive for; focus on the issues and objectives while maintaining a positive stance, but leave no doubt in everyone''s mind that significant improvement is required.

What you said was that they are feeding the press more information.  I put it to you that the information isn''t coming from Carrow Road, who are keeping their usual radio silence on most potential transfers, but from agents keen to start bidding wars / increase interest in their clients.  If anything, less talk would benefit us in negotiations.[quote]Most of this information was published on the club''s own website (under

"Media Talk") without comment, ie. without either confirming or denying

it.  Unless I am very much mistaken, that''s where the local press got

it from.[/quote]From the current headline Media Talk article : [quote]CITY assistant boss Jim Duffy today responded to newspaper speculation...[/quote]The original sources are usually quoted in the EDP website articles, they''re usually good in detailing the origins of stories.  A lot of the speculation appears on the newsnow feed at least a few hours, if not days before it''s confirmed by the club. Quite often stories amount to nothing.  I think that stories about Marvin Elliot came first from websites like eatsleepsport or Teamtalk, who must have some contacts with agents I guess, either that or they got them from the national newspapers.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Have you forgotten that myself and Wiz are clairvoyants MYSTIC... nothing has happened yet and nothing that is going to make us serious play-off contenders is going to happen either...  I can see it in my balls MYSTIC!!!  [;)]

[/quote]

Smudger, is this leading up to another "Eat My Pants" challenge? . . . Tell me I''m wrong . . . [;)]

[quote]Is the club spokesperson on this thread?[/quote]

Aah, childish name-calling from pensioners, I guess I must have won this one. [:)]

Aah, childish name-calling from pensioners, I guess I must have won this one. [:)]

[/quote]

Joe Blah Ferrari Blah Doncaster Blah Cullen........etc, etc......

I think my version''s much more childish......

Nope, sorry, you can''t possibly be any of the above, they''re all probably rubbin'' shoulders with the elite at the "Georgie Michael" gig.....unless it''s not your bag.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I think we are perfectly entitled to haggle, if it takes a month to bring them in and saves money to enable us to bring in another player out of our budget, where''s the problem ?
[/quote]

I think that was Worth''s attitude, unfortunatly after months of wastyed time we didn''t end up signing most of the players involved, and other possible targets were then already gone. We haggled and got Andy Hughes cheap though.

[/quote]

Regrettably there do appear to be similarities in the two positions with Worthless and Grant, appears to be lots going on with nothing really happening. I think it is too difficult to judge Grant yet but how long do we wait?

It is never easy.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

Joe Blah Ferrari Blah Doncaster Blah Cullen........etc, etc......

I think my version''s much more childish......

Nope, sorry, you can''t possibly be any of the above, they''re all probably rubbin'' shoulders with the elite at the "Georgie Michael" gig.....unless it''s not your bag.

[/quote]

Rubbing what?[:^)]

OTBC

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]Ah yes, so "we will get relegated" and "We won''t get any new investors on the board whilst Delia is still there" show off your clairvoyant powers smudger? Don''t give up the day job... ;-)I''m also getting tired of the words, we need action. Undoubtedly its silly season in the footballing press, and anything anybody hints at saying will make back page headlines, but we NEED more players of the right quality to sign. Nothing is done until the contract is signed.

[quote user="gunnsdoppellganger"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Regrettably there do appear to be similarities in the two positions with Worthless and Grant, appears to be lots going on with nothing really happening. I think it is too difficult to judge Grant yet but how long do we wait?

It is never easy.

[/quote]

. . . and what''s the common denominator Bryan?  Might it just possibly have something to do with the people who hold the purse strings?

[quote]Nope, sorry, you can''t possibly be any of the above, they''re all

probably rubbin'' shoulders with the elite at the "Georgie Michael"

gig.....unless it''s not your bag.[/quote]Show me a middle-aged old fart that doesn''t have a soft spot for that perma-tanned goatee-bearded self-exposing freak.  I''m still narked that he stole the first gig at Wembley from Muse.  So, no. Not my bag.  Couldn''t you get a ticket, Mello ? [:)]

Shyster you inform us what the squad is but i must argue, will Earnie be here? We have to start considering what life will be like without Earnie!! Unless peter mcgrant ( i myself prefer mcdonalds !!) and the naaarwich city board get their act together then we willl have old man dublin, brown, hucks (he can be used upfront) martin and erm o yea thats it. WOW so we''re guranteed maybe ten goals if we''re lucky from a combination of those players. THEY REALLY ARE USELESS! SIGN SOME QUALITY PLAYERS