Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Should the Current Board Be Replaced ? If so, why, and by who ?

Following an excellent point made by Shack Attack on one of Arthurs'' thread, it''s only reasonable to put this question to those who want to see the current board replaced.  If you want the current board to be replaced (bearing in mind this includes the new investment by the Turners), why do you want this to happen, and who would you replace them with ?My opinion is that the board have recognised that some of them are approaching the retirement age set in the constitution of the club, and having taken the club this far, are looking for new faces to pass the baton over to.  I would imagine that over the coming years, the older members of the board will sell their shares and become life vice-presidents in the same manner as Barry Skipper.  I don''t expect any sudden take-overs, more of a gradual phasing in of any replacement board members.

Surely the Turners would be the new MYJ and D.S of this new board? However i dont see the point of having a new board just GET RID OF DELIA, MYJ AND DOOMCASTER!!!  Put simply like the team on the field the old  and somewhat useless players (Gallacher springs to mind) have to go, surely this is the same in the boardroom?

Anybody from outside of Norfolk with SERIOUS MONEY and SERIOUS AMBITION unlike the bunch of clowns we currently have in office!!!

No real surprise to see this sliding off the front page, notwithstanding Smudgers'' empty vessel comments.  I guess the question is too direct for some ?

Its interesting how no one can answer this.

Its easy to shout ''sack the board'' harder to come up with realisitic replacements.

I''m sure some believe that replacing the board is just a case of firing them as with a normal job.

Regardless of how we feel if no one comes in to buy into the club then we are stuck with the current board, they can''t just walk away.

[quote user="Smudger"]Anybody from outside of Norfolk with SERIOUS MONEY and SERIOUS AMBITION unlike the bunch of clowns we currently have in office!!![/quote]Yes, because they''ll have the best interests of the club at had and won''t be a business person who wants to make serious money from the club.  There are quicker and easier ways to make money from a club than promotion to the premiership, all of which aren''t in the clubs best interest.OTBC!Chunky

I don''t think you''ll get a reply because I''m not sure that there is a viable answer at the moment. This is why one of the only things to genuinely annoy me about this board is to be accused of being ''pro-board'' or a ''Delia-worshipper'' just because I don''t endlessly advocate sacking the board/Grant with no thought thru plan for who will replace them. I''m not a businessman but I''m sure that those of you who are would agree that contingency planning is completely fundamental to instigating such a major overhaul in the structure of a company. And I''m sorry, but just saying ''anyone'' does not constitute a thought thru plan. [:)] Perhaps there is a better way to phrase the question in a more immediate sense. Just consider for a second that you get your wish and Delia et al were to be shown the door this afternoon - what steps would be taken from tomorrow morning to move the club forward? I''m interested to hear suggestions because that situation would genuinely worry me.       

The simple answer is to bring the club into ownership by a local consortium headed by someone with a footballing mind. As I said in the other thread, I think the board doesn''t have the necessary footballing knowledge to succeed. Surely local businesses have the financial clout to finance the football club and make it into a massive success.

We are all football fans here. If asked, most could come up a whole array of players, coaches, and managers names, from this country and abroad who they would like to see arrive here. The same probably could not be said of our awareness of possible new business investors. But does that mean we cannot voice concerns about our current board''s actions?In all probability, considerably fewer of us are businessmen, follow the markets, or read the financial pages. Fewer still will be aware of who may, or may not, be interested in investing in a Championship football club. Unlike football transfer speculation, business investor deals are mostly done behind closed doors, and only announced to the press when they have been done, or picked up in the late stages of negotiation.But my point is this: Fans are still within their rights to criticise the board of directors, or even argue for them to be replaced. I would only hope that their criticism is part of a logical and reasoned argument, rather than personal criticism.So debate should not be silenced just because it raises uncomfortable issues and further questions that cannot be easily answered. For example, I think many of us are thinking that there is little we can affect on the business side. We have to trust those currently in charge to do the right thing, and accept our fate. But based on the failings of the last three seasons, this is a rather uncomfortable issue to question. Therefore, even if we don''t yet know the answer, can we not ask the question?

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]We are all football fans here. If asked, most could come up a whole array of players, coaches, and managers names, from this country and abroad who they would like to see arrive here. The same probably could not be said of our awareness of possible new business investors. But does that mean we cannot voice concerns about our current board''s actions?

In all probability, considerably fewer of us are businessmen, follow the markets, or read the financial pages. Fewer still will be aware of who may, or may not, be interested in investing in a Championship football club. Unlike football transfer speculation, business investor deals are mostly done behind closed doors, and only announced to the press when they have been done, or picked up in the late stages of negotiation.

But my point is this: Fans are still within their rights to criticise the board of directors, or even argue for them to be replaced. I would only hope that their criticism is part of a logical and reasoned argument, rather than personal criticism.

So debate should not be silenced just because it raises uncomfortable issues and further questions that cannot be easily answered. For example, I think many of us are thinking that there is little we can affect on the business side. We have to trust those currently in charge to do the right thing, and accept our fate. But based on the failings of the last three seasons, this is a rather uncomfortable issue to question.

Therefore, even if we don''t yet know the answer, can we not ask the question?

[/quote]

Great Post Pete! just because we are not forthcoming with names does not mean we cannot voice our opinions or that Delia and co are free of crticism just because "there is no one else".

We are a tasty prospect for the right investor... anyone would purcashe us i think given the chance.

jas :)

[quote]Debate should not be silenced just because it raises uncomfortable

issues and further questions that cannot be easily answered.[/quote]I thoroughly agree Pete - quite often useful and informative debate on these issues does get lost in the "whose camp are you in" arguments that are prevalent, or the urban myths surrounding the Little Norwich policy, transfer dealings,etc.  The reason for putting this thread up is that at some point, whether through take-over or retirement of current board members, these questions will have to be addressed.For what it''s worth, I''d like to see Norwich take on a version of the FC Barcelona model. At Barca, the president is elected by the membership, and fans can become members for the cost of about twice the price of their season tickets.  I don''t see why our club can''t do a similar thing (albeit at a lower price) to enable a fans'' representative to sit on the board.  The club listens more than most do to the fans I''d argue, but something like this would enable the club to raise a bit more cash, and show that they take their support seriously.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]
But my point is this: Fans are still within their rights to criticise the board of directors, or even argue for them to be replaced. I would only hope that their criticism is part of a logical and reasoned argument, rather than personal criticism.
[/quote]

I couldn''t have put it any better than this - this is it in a nutshell. I have absolutely no qualms with a debate over who would be best to lead our club forward, including criticism of the current regime - it, in fact, is the only way to maintain a healthy state of affairs in and around our club. I just don''t see the purpose of being anti (or pro) the board for the sake of it - that just polarises debate around issues which have nothing to do with the best interests of NCFC. Its not an either/or situation, its more complex than that. Yes the board has made some (well documented) errors but I think to suggest that they have some kind of agenda which involves running the club into the ground and asset stripping is unrealistic. Its just as unrealistic as suggesting that the board can do no wrong and is beyond criticism.     

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Following an excellent point made by Shack Attack on one of Arthurs'' thread, it''s only reasonable to put this question to those who want to see the current board replaced. 

If you want the current board to be replaced (bearing in mind this includes the new investment by the Turners), why do you want this to happen, and who would you replace them with ?

My opinion is that the board have recognised that some of them are approaching the retirement age set in the constitution of the club, and having taken the club this far, are looking for new faces to pass the baton over to.  I would imagine that over the coming years, the older members of the board will sell their shares and become life vice-presidents in the same manner as Barry Skipper.  I don''t expect any sudden take-overs, more of a gradual phasing in of any replacement board members.
[/quote]

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch - Who watches over you ?

Well, since you ask Blah, I''ll start off. OK?

Jim Magilton?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch - Who watches over you ?

Well, since you ask Blah, I''ll start off. OK?

Jim Magilton?

OTBC

[/quote]

Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I''m the only bee in your bonnet
Make a little birdhouse in your soul

[quote]Not to put too fine a point on itSay I''m the only bee in your bonnetMake a little birdhouse in your soul[/quote]It''s no good nutty, I''m going to have to find a more obscure song with a canary reference.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]

[/quote]

It''s no good nutty, I''m going to have to find a more obscure song with a canary reference.
[/quote]

In a cage sits a gold canary
By a wicker chair and a rosewood loom
As a soul ascends abord the evening
Canary sings to an empty room [8] [W]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Not to put too fine a point on it
Make a little birdhouse in your soul[/quote]

It''s no good nutty, I''m going to have to find a more obscure song with a canary reference.
[/quote]

Ah, I was desperately trying to think of what that was! They Might be Giants?

Emily by Reg Dwight.  I had to google it mind.  Shouldn''t he be writing songs about Hornets ?In a tree sits a hornets nestBy a wicker chair and a rosewood loomAs a soul ascends abord the eveningHornets sting all in the roomSuppose it''s not quite as soppy.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In a cage sits a gold canary
By a wicker chair and a rosewood loom
As a soul ascends abord the evening
Canary sings to an empty room [8] [W]

[/quote]

Let''s just be happy that Growltiger''s not around!

Some things are timeless![:D] And held in posterity for callow youth[:O][:D]

T.S. Eliot - Growltiger''s Last Stand

GROWLTIGER was a Bravo Cat, who lived upon a barge;

In fact he was the roughest cat that ever roamed at large.

From Gravesend up to Oxford he pursued his evil aims,

Rejoicing in his title of "The Terror of the Thames."

His manners and appearance did not calculate to please;

His coat was torn and seedy, he was baggy at the knees;

One ear was somewhat missing, no need to tell you why,

And he scowled upon a hostile world from one forbidding eye.

The cottagers of Rotherhithe knew something of his fame,

At Hammersmith and Putney people shuddered at his name.

They would fortify the hen-house, lock up the silly goose,

When the rumour ran along the shore: GROWLTIGER''S ON THE LOOSE!

Woe to the weak canary, that fluttered from its cage;

Woe to the pampered Pekinese, that faced Growltiger''s rage.

Woe to the bristly Bandicoot, that lurks on foreign ships,

And woe to any Cat with whom Growltiger came to grips!

But most to Cats of foreign race his hatred had been vowed;

To Cats of foreign name and race no quarter was allowed.

The Persian and the Siamese regarded him with fear--

Because it was a Siamese had mauled his missing ear.

Now on a peaceful summer night, all nature seemed at play,

The tender moon was shining bright, the barge at Molesey lay.

All in the balmy moonlight it lay rocking on the tide--

And Growltiger was disposed to show his sentimental side.

His bucko mate, GRUMBUSKIN, long since had disappeared,

For to the Bell at Hampton he had gone to wet his beard;

And his bosun, TUMBLEBRUTUS, he too had stol''n away-

In the yard behind the Lion he was prowling for his prey.

In the forepeak of the vessel Growltiger sate alone,

Concentrating his attention on the Lady GRIDDLEBONE.

And his raffish crew were sleeping in their barrels and their bunks--

As the Siamese came creeping in their sampans and their junks.

Growltiger had no eye or ear for aught but Griddlebone,

And the Lady seemed enraptured by his manly baritone,

Disposed to relaxation, and awaiting no surprise--

But the moonlight shone reflected from a thousand bright blue eyes.

And closer still and closer the sampans circled round,

And yet from all the enemy there was not heard a sound.

The lovers sang their last duet, in danger of their lives--

For the foe was armed with toasting forks and cruel carving knives.

Then GILBERT gave the signal to his fierce Mongolian horde;

With a frightful burst of fireworks the Chinks they swarmed aboard.

Abandoning their sampans, and their pullaways and junks,

They battened down the hatches on the crew within their bunks.

Then Griddlebone she gave a screech, for she was badly skeered;

I am sorry to admit it, but she quickly disappeared.

She probably escaped with ease, I''m sure she was not drowned--

But a serried ring of flashing steel Growltiger did surround.

The ruthless foe pressed forward, in stubborn rank on rank;

Growltiger to his vast surprise was forced to walk the plank.

He who a hundred victims had driven to that drop,

At the end of all his crimes was forced to go ker-flip, ker-flop.

Oh there was joy in Wapping when the news flew through the land;

At Maidenhead and Henley there was dancing on the strand.

Rats were roasted whole at Brentford, and at Victoria Dock,

And a day of celebration was commanded in Bangkok.

Reg did the tunes[8] and his mate Bernie did the words[:-*].

Don''t remember ever hearing Bernie supported anyone but maybe his canary references in Emily mean he is a City Fan.  I also don''t remember reading that he wasted his money so he''s probably loaded. He''s not foreign [Y] because he was brought up in Lincoln and that''s not too far away. (Outside Norfolk though [N]) Could he be the one? [I]

Do I think they have done a good job on the footballing side of things??  NO

Do I think they are moving in the right direrction??  YES, I am hopeful the huge errors made over the last four years have finally been learned by the slow bunch of dimwits running the club.

Am I hopeful that with the Turners on board we can move up this league??  YES, unless the unproven Peter Grant turns out to be a Dead Duck manager.

So NO, at the moment I don''t think the board should be replaced, but they well and better be more ruthless than they have been in the past.  My one doubt remains this fact.  And I don''t think they are in any way ambitious enough for our club. But maybe the Turners can change that factor and wake up our sleepy backwards boardroom.

Excellent post Pyro Pete.

Blahx3, i don`t think anyone knew that Delia and MWJ were interested in taking over during the Chase protests. The irony is that alot of the same people who were against those protests are against people questioning the current board now. Keep tugging those forelocks......

[quote]The irony is that alot of the same people who were against those

protests are against people questioning the current board now.  Keep tugging those forelocks......[/quote]I''m not against questioning the current board at all.  In fact, what I''m trying to encourage is constructive criticism of the board, rather than just moaning about corporate football (that''s everywhere, not just us), or looking for conspiracy in 2 year old sets of accounts as some do.  We built a new stand, by the way, think of it as a clue.Constructive criticism is often lost in the morass of "we''ll never get him, he''s too good", or "we got him, he''s rubbish" nonsense, which I see as a hangover from finding any stick to beat Worthington with, and a difficult habit to lose.

I''m new to the board but I would like to raise a few points.

Yes I agree that the current board should be moved aside after A) in my eyes underacheiving and B) taking a club with a £6million debt but with lots of assets around the ground to a mediocre championship club with three times the amount opf debt and only playing assets. They have quite royally screwed up.

But the question is who can take over? A Norwich fan with lots of money?....

Well i''m not to sure of his name, but there is a gentleman in the insurance industry who has made the rich list. He is a more of a mogul than anything, (one of his companies is towergate insurance) but overall his insurance company is worth £750million. And he is looking to float his shars in the company within the next year or so, and could end up with a couple of billion! This is no word of a lie, I think his name is cullum or callum or something. If someone could find out for us that would be great.

I know some people may dismiss this as rubbish, but seriously this man is rich norwich fan, and the word is he does want to take over Norwich (he takes Delia out once a year to keep her sweet). And seeing Patrick Snowball has left Norwich union to take over at Towergate Insurance, he is expected to the run the company so the company can be sold.

Unforunately this may take up to a year and half, so no instant result, but this is legitimate.

If he can sell the future may be bright!

Interesting.

I''d be more than happy to have him involved.

Clearly got a good business sense and will have some money to invest. Promising if it happens.

Yep, Mr Cullums name came up at the end of the season, turns out one of the posters here knows him.  Isn''t he buying Smith and Pinching''s local offices or something ?I would imagine that the Turners'' collateral and spending power was brought on board in order to help stave off take-over bids, but who knows ?Would Mr Cullum join the board and work with the current team ?I guess only Mr Cullum knows.