Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

If Cureton, then who....?

Many of Cureton''s goals last season came from chances supplied by his large co-striker (Iwelumo?), either knock-downs or passes. So if we signed Cureton, who would be his supplier? Not Ernie, that''s not his game, - he''s a goal poacher, not a supplier. Hux possibly, or better Dion or Brown would seem to be the answer, with Hux unlikely to supply many knock-downs.So, unless we sign another striker as well (Sharp and Eastwood are not great target men), Cureton would play with Dion or Brown. Given that Dion could be required in defence on occasions, could he contribute nearly twenty goals a season as part of a twin pronged strike force? I have my doubts, and the same about Brown, unless he reveals more strike threat than he has hitherto.We have some good wingers now, with Chadwick, Croft and even Otsemobor on the right, and Hux and Lapin on the left. This would suggest a target man or an all-round striker, probably not Cureton/Earnshaw, (or even Earnshaw/Sharp, for that matter.) Could Dion remain fit to play a significant number of games, or could Brown produce the goods?None of the present targets plus Ernie would be sure of being ever-present. Perhaps this is the thinking - "horses for courses" or player rotation. We shall see, in due course, as PG grapples with the problem.

I fancy Brown and Cureton could form a decent partnership. We''ve certainly not seen the best from Brown, i''m certain he has more in his locker than what we saw last season. Cureton is proven at this level, one thing is certain for me... Cureton and Earnshaw wouldn''t work! Can''t see either of them being happy at squad rotation either. So if Cureton''s the one, that pretty much nails the coffin shut for Earnie IMO.

I would imagine that if Cureton comes here, then Brown will be his principal strike partner, with Dublin being available if Brown isn''t.  To bring in 2 strikers would divert money needed for defensive strengthening, and as you say, none of our attacking transfer targets are target men.  I suspect that Brown will get an extended run in the first team next season, in the same manner as Etuhu got this season.  Some players need a run of regular games to get the best out of them. Could Chris Martin do the job ?  Or would him and Cureton be too similar ?

You raise an interesting point. We forget when signing strikers that often the reason they scored goals was down to the decent service they received from their particular team-mates. Or even the particular system played by their previous team in order to engineer goal-scoring opportunities. At his age, Cureton would be a slight gamble. But if he scores goals, he will be a better investment than Chris Brown.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I would imagine that if Cureton comes here, then Brown will be his principal strike partner,
[/quote]

The horrible though of Brown as a principle strike partner gives me a headache...........nurse!.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I would imagine that if Cureton comes here, then Brown will be his principal strike partner, [/quote]

The horrible though of Brown as a principle strike partner gives me a headache...........nurse!.

[/quote]I can''t see why Wiz, you haven''t seen him playing when fully fit.  And you certainly haven''t seen him playing with a full pre-season behind him, or for that matter an meaningful run of games.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I would imagine that if Cureton comes here, then Brown will be his principal strike partner, [/quote]

[/quote]Brown looked pretty good in the games I saw him he had good feet and a nice first touch,  I thought for £300k he wasn''t a bad buy really, though as usual whenever we make a purchase and they start to do ok, the injury curse struck.  I''d be very disappointed if we bought Cureton, whatever the circumstances, £750k for a 32 year old want-away striker at this level is a complete waste of money.OTBC!Chunky

Why are people so quick to knock Brown. I''m sure he''s only played about 4 games for us and he wasn''t fully fit.

Can''t we at least give people a chance?

I know, i really don''t understand people''s attitude to Brown. I think it''s just a hangover from when we hear we signed him and everyone was still asking who the guy was and why we hadn''t signed another ashton. For a start, none of that is his fault, and secondly, he looked very useful for the brief chances he got to play for us. I still think he could be a very important player for us. He''s the only guy other than Dion who can reliably hold the ball up and link up our play from the front. By having both of them, we''ll have two similar type hold up men to play up front and with Earnie, Martin, hux and a.n. other we''ll have a really tasty looking array of forward talent.

I just have feeling we will lose out Eastwood and Sharp''s signing, so, Cureton, the last season top scorer in the Championship, in a cheaper price compare with the previous two, not a bad choice

[quote user="ncfc1"]Please not Cureton £750,000 for a 32 year old who has had one good season would be a gigantic step backwards for City green hair or not.[/quote]

NCFC1 , you are such a sweet lovely old boy , but don''t forget Cureton has his heart on his sleeve , he would bleed yellow and green , he would give his life for us , would Ernie ? or is he off to the prem?[:(]

I''m surprised so many are anti - I thought last week people seemed to think he would be a decent signing?! 

You couldn''t put Cureton in the same bracket signing-wise as Sharp or Eastwood, who could be seen as longer term investments, but we do know that he would score goals and not cost anywhere near as much.  For c£600k he is probably worth a punt if any of the others don''t come off, if only to free up more funds for elsewhere in the squad. 

[quote user="cityangel"]

Why are people so quick to knock Brown. I''m sure he''s only played about 4 games for us and he wasn''t fully fit.

Can''t we at least give people a chance?

[/quote]I agree.He looked ok in the couple of home games I saw him in, didn''t look match sharp (as you say, lacking fitness) but seemed pretty good in the air for his size and certainly looked to have potential. Now is certainly not the time to be judging his worth to the team.

The situation is we are never going to get Sharp or Eastwood, so Colchester United put the price tag on Cureton, the price tag is for us, so why do we not grasp it?

People say Jamie should be a poor signing for Colchester last season, but he proved everybody wrong to become the top scorer in the Championship! People say player come back to their old club would have play poor, eg: Robert Fleck, but when Fleck come back to Norwich, did he still very fit or the top scorer of the division? Jamie price tag is for his reward of become scored 24 goals last season, he was not Peter Thorne''s age but most importantly he had heart to play for Norwich.

Sign him up because it''s better than we sign NOBODY!

Think that a Brown and Cureton strike force next season is looking more and more possible.

Brown has had a lot of stick, but come on, lets give him a chance-at the risk of repeating a tired old mantra, Iwan was shite when he first came here -though he did have a goal scoring record & take a look at his hat trick for Wolves against West Brom to see him in his pomp...albeit the wrong coloured shirt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiPlxBc9qgg

I don''t think we should stump up 750 for Cureton, but we ought to seriously consider a something in the region of 450 + Jarvis as somebody else here has previously suggested.

The squad needs bulking & competition for places, and Cureton or another experienced goalscorer should be signed regardless of  Earnshaw staying or going.

Cureton won''t put a strain on the wage bill & if we spent no more than 500k on him and it''s fact that we have a couple of million to spend, then maybe the signing of a decent keeper + vital positions in defence & midfield can be financed. 

Sorry Chunky, but not sure what games you watched last season.  Brown looked well worth about half of the fee we payed.  And there was little evidence of a raw talent that will suddenly spring up next season, unlike Martin.