Sign in to follow this  
San Miguel

1300 season tickets up for grabs

What do people think to this?

I have a slight aggreivance with the club about this because: I was away from home when the first season ticket renewal deadline passed, and the club sent me a letter stating when the final deadline was. They also said something like ''it''s vital you renew as soon as possible, there is a substantial season ticket waiting  list, and we anticipate being 5,000 tickets short of demand''

That was obviously a lie then, I can''t imagine that many people on the waiting list decided not to get a season ticket after all, so the quote of 5,000 people was just scare-mongering

bad way to do business I feel, I can''t stand pushy marketing nonsence..

I think this is an important piece of news. I''m sure many fans renewed because they felt that the number of casual seats would be so limited after the season tickets were sold that they wouldn''t be able to attend the games they fancied (sort of all or nothing). It is now likely that, unless we are at the top end of the table, we will not be playing to full houses this season and supporters will see that attending on a casual basis is back on the agenda.

Another poor season could result in the number of season tickets as a proportion of the gate dropping significantly next time. It makes this season even more important. 

Personally, I think they should cap the season ticket numbers right now. Leaving more seats for new and casual supporters. I''m sure a large season ticket base gives the club a guaranteed income, and helps obtain sponsorship. But I am concerned that new and younger fans are not given enough chance to come along to Carrow Rd on a casual basis.As for missing the deadline, that''s your own fault, surely?

Um.... 5000 "short of demand" != 1300 "not renewed from last year".

The club aren''t lying. They haven''t even started processing the waiting list...

[quote user="ob1"]

Um.... 5000 "short of demand" != 1300 "not renewed from last year".

The club aren''t lying. They haven''t even started processing the waiting list...

[/quote]

ob1 according to the press they have processed the waiting list, the deadline ran out on Wednesday.  Remaining season tickets are now on general sale.

I''d say that 18700 season ticket sales is a pretty decent return considering our poor form over the last two seasons, and the assumption by some that no change in fortunes is in sight.  I''m not quite sure what the point is of people who are complaining - had everyone renewed there would by definition have been no room in the ground for anyone on the waiting list, and to suggest the club knew who would or wouldn''t renew is rather daft.  

I agree with Pyro Pete.

If there are 1300 season tickets left after the waiting list has been catered for then we should cap the numbers now.

Everyone will benefit from having an extra 1300 casual seats, even the club who can sell them at casual prices. If performances are good they will sell and if not they will remain empty.

I like there being more casual tickets - as I will only be able to go to carrow road on a casual basis.If the league had thought to schedule any home matches when I''m in norfolk it would be great.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I''d say that 18700 season ticket sales is a pretty decent return considering our poor form over the last two seasons, and the assumption by some that no change in fortunes is in sight.  I''m not quite sure what the point is of people who are complaining - had everyone renewed there would by definition have been no room in the ground for anyone on the waiting list, and to suggest the club knew who would or wouldn''t renew is rather daft.  

[/quote]

I`d say this is understatement of the century.

How many current prem teams would achieve this number if they were in our position, maybe less than 10 I am guessing.

Its nothing short of incredible.

Other clubs must be looking at us saying "what do they put in the water down there"

This is actually serious and possibly hugely significant news.   This single event could be the start of an irreversible  downward spiral for the Club.   Let me explain.

Amid all the euphoria about more casual tickets consider the macro economics for a moment.   If there are casual tickets available then fans will choose whether or not to come to each and every game.   The Club is not going to sell out the minor games especiallly on wet cold winter nights.   If the ground is not full, then we will go back to the days of people knowing they can turn up on the night and hence not buying tickets in advance.  They may come and they may not if Man U or Big Brother is on the box.

If, and it is not a huge if in my view, the Club does not have a fantastically successful season, then next year we will all think about renewing our season tickets knowing that there is no need because casual tickets will be available.   So, next season the season ticket sales will be down further.  Why commit to watching more rubbish if we know we can turn up and get in whenever we want.

Now, you are all celebrating the return of the casual fan and there are reasons why this is a good thing.  Football should be accessible.

But, financially and in business budgetting terms this is a disaster.  1,300 season tickets is about £450,000!!!   That is money the Club wanted to have in the bank and which would be part of its cashflow and financial planning for the coming season.  Where is the Club going to get that revenue from now?   It will hope to get half or more from casual sales but until the match starts, that will not be known.   For now, it has gone.  There is nearly half a million less for the Club to spend next season.   So, the Club has less to spend on players, the team does not flourish, fewer still renew next season and the Club is a further £0.5mil down.  Can you see the spiral?  Once this starts, it will self perpetuate.  In two seasons we could be in League 1 with ghates of 15,000

All this will no doubt be accompanied by the Whittle/Smudger/Wiz brigade castigating the Board for a lack of ambition in not spending more money on top players.  

This season, we do not have the parachute payment.  We are over £400,000 down on season ticket sales.   Yet the Board is accused of lack of ambition because we are bidding only £2m for players and possibly considering players such as Cureton.

Casual tickets are great news for fans as indiviuals.  We all want to go when we want and not to have to splash out on season tickets.  That is fine.   The season sale shortfall really makes this a make or break season.  Amother mediocre season and finacially, this Club could be on a spiral from which it may never recover.....or not till Smudger''s Russian billionaire comes to save us anyway.

Seriously, this is the Canary equivilent of a tax cut that makes us individually better off but so destroys the economy that unemployment and home repossesions become rife and boom turns to bust.

I pray for Grant to succeed this summer because if we line up with the kind of team where Hughes and Doherty are automatic choices then it is no exaggeration to say that this Club will cease to exist as we currently know it.   Imagine looking back on a golden age when we were able to attract players of the quality of Drury and Etuhu?

The only surprising thing, given our inconsistent and mediocre performance over the last couple of years, is that it''s taken until now for the number of season ticket holders to start to drop.  I know there are still 2 months until next season starts and it''s still possible the Club will sell the remaining tickets by then but somehow I doubt it unless there are some inspired and inspiring signings in the near future.  As for freeing up more tickets for casual fans, well, in theory that''s great but in reality at nearly every home game last season there were plenty of empty seats that casual fans could have bought  using the season ticket "buy back" scheme but clearly they didn''t so I''m afraid that next season crowds are going to be significantly down on the last couple of years.  The Club, from top to bottom, is underperforming and some radical changes in all departments are needed to get us back to where we once were.  I don''t see that simply continuing as we are is a viable long-term option.

good post 90pc of it!!!

slagging hughes and doc off as usual .

drury quality my bum!!!!!! so called captain no leadership gets skinned

as for demond tutu yes he can play he should be running games but far to often is on vacation on a football feild .

to you all stop slagging what we have get behind the lads or go watch kings lynn or ipswich period!!!!!

At long last, a positive ''thumbs down'' to Delia and her Croonies antics. Its been a long time coming, but hopefully some fans are now waking up to how badly this club of ours is run.

And it''ll get worse, not better, the longer they and McGrant cling to office.

At last I see a ray of hope for us.

Is this the same CambridgeCanary who rubbished the thread about the club making a substantial profit out of selling players?  I smell a hidden agenda.  I don''t know what it is, but most of the posters on here are streetwise enough to see through your scaremongering doomsday scenario.

If indeed this is what you genuinely fear, do chill out for heaven''s sake.  We''ve still sold more season tickets than nearly all our competitors.  The people who run the club have brought this situation on themselves by underinvesting in the squad over successive seasons.  They''ve taken the fans for granted for far too long and now it''s bitten them on the bum - not hard enough to draw blood, but just enough to be a wakeup call.  It''s a timely warning of what will happen if they don''t get their act together pretty quickly and put football top of their list of priorities, where it belongs.

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Is this the same CambridgeCanary who rubbished the thread about the club making a substantial profit out of selling players?  I smell a hidden agenda.  I don''t know what it is, but most of the posters on here are streetwise enough to see through your scaremongering doomsday scenario.

If indeed this is what you genuinely fear, do chill out for heaven''s sake.  We''ve still sold more season tickets than nearly all our competitors.  The people who run the club have brought this situation on themselves by underinvesting in the squad over successive seasons.  They''ve taken the fans for granted for far too long and now it''s bitten them on the bum - not hard enough to draw blood, but just enough to be a wakeup call.  It''s a timely warning of what will happen if they don''t get their act together pretty quickly and put football top of their list of priorities, where it belongs.

[/quote]

Wrong again Mystic.  I did not rubbish your suggestion that we had made a substantial profit from selling players.  I agree with that.   What I rubbished was your nonsense that the money has disappeared when it is clear that there was money in the pot for Cotterill last year and there is money in the pot for Sharp, marshall and others this summer.  At least part of that money is surplus transfer monies.  You asked where the money was and I made some suggestions.  We both agree that there was money there to talk about.

What confuses me more is that after attacking me in the first paragraph, you then go on and agree with me.  It is a wake up call.  it is deserved after the last two seasons.  It is a timely warning of what might happen etc.

Where do we disagree here??

We get it from our politicians and we now get it all the time from our football club.

You cannot spin this - season ticket sales are down yes less takers yes lower numbers yes a downward trend yes less than before. But it''s good news apparently. What do they take us for? If they treat us with this contempt then I suggest they be treated in the same way.

A little honesty please.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

Wrong again Mystic.  I did not rubbish your suggestion that we had made a substantial profit from selling players.  I agree with that.   What I rubbished was your nonsense that the money has disappeared when it is clear that there was money in the pot for Cotterill last year and there is money in the pot for Sharp, marshall and others this summer.  At least part of that money is surplus transfer monies.  You asked where the money was and I made some suggestions.  We both agree that there was money there to talk about.

What confuses me more is that after attacking me in the first paragraph, you then go on and agree with me.  It is a wake up call.  it is deserved after the last two seasons.  It is a timely warning of what might happen etc.

[/quote]

I disagree that there is a causal connection between failing to sell 1300 season tickets and the club ''ceasing to exist as we know it''.  If the board heeds the wakeup call it is more likely to have the opposite effect. 

I have no wish to resurrect the "profits" debate again.  We agree that the money hasn''t been spent on players.  You assume it''s still in the pot.  I hope you''re right.  We shall see.

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I disagree that there is a causal connection between failing to sell 1300 season tickets and the club ''ceasing to exist as we know it''.  If the board heeds the wakeup call it is more likely to have the opposite effect. 

I have no wish to resurrect the "profits" debate again.  We agree that the money hasn''t been spent on players.  You assume it''s still in the pot.  I hope you''re right.  We shall see.

"IF" ............................and that is the point.  I was looking at what would happen if the Board do not.   You hope that the Board will turn it around.  I agree.  if my doomsday scenario is right - and i believe it is- then we must all hope that the Board "heeds the wakeup call"

Regards!!

[/quote]

Surely, this all needs to be viewed in context?

At each of the three deadline dates for season ticket holders to renew their seats, the take up rate was ahead of the comparable rates for the previous season.

The difference now is that the waiting list hasn''t taken up as bigger chuck of the remainder as the same time last year.

There are still circa 500 who were on the waiting list who may yet buy and there''s still anyone else who wants to buy from the general public. Last year there were still another 600 sales over the summer period.

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

hehehe honestly you two...

Question is though... if there is still money in the pot then somebody please inform Delia, the Turners, PG & Co how they get it out!!!

They seem to have lost the keys to the Carrow Road safe or something!!!  [;)]