Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Why the fuss over Simpson?

I see Coventry have actually tabled a bid to Cambridge United for this guy. He''s scored 17 in a side that finished lower mid table in the conference. He must have something about him to attract this much interest but the step up from conference to championship is an enormous one and i can only imagine he would be an investment. We have Jarvis as an investment while if we''re looking for someone to have a quick impact i think Sharp is a better bet. Did anyone know anything about Simpson when he was at Colney? I don''t remember the name myself.

[quote user="a1canary"]I see Coventry have actually tabled a bid to Cambridge United for this guy. He''s scored 17 in a side that finished lower mid table in the conference. He must have something about him to attract this much interest but the step up from conference to championship is an enormous one and i can only imagine he would be an investment. We have Jarvis as an investment while if we''re looking for someone to have a quick impact i think Sharp is a better bet.
Did anyone know anything about Simpson when he was at Colney? I don''t remember the name myself.
[/quote]

I think the fuss is that he scored 15 of those goals in the last 16 games of the season.  Not that it means much I suppose.

It seems this interest in Robbie Simpson came about after he scored 17 goals in less than 20 games (I think) at the end of last season.

When I read that it struck me how little players seem to do now to be chased by several teams. The MacAllister lad in Ireland is a similar deal, having scored 16-ish goals in his first senior season there.

Both would seem to be a risk. As you say A1, are these guys likely to have more about them than Chris Brown, Ryan Jarvis or Chris Martin?

Leeds signed Tresor Kandol from Barnet as he''d scored 10 in 29 for them, but, which is what got peoples attention, 61 in 102 for Thurrock. Made him look like a certainty, but he levelled out slightly at Barnet and crashed and burnt at Leeds. Simpson may be another Andy Keogh, but again, he might have found his level. A risk, they''re always worth taking, but a risk none-the-less. Danny Bloomfield was the last example of us bringing in a "hot shot" from non-league wasn''t he?

Ah, ok, 16/17 in 20 ''aint bad i guess. What do in know, i only live here!! I don''t think there''s a town or city in the country that is more indifferent toward their own football club. I went to uni in Preston in ''95 when they were in division 3, right through to 2001 by which time they had made division one and the play off final which they lost to Bolton. I can honestly say there was as much enthusiasm for the local team when they were winning division three as there was when they were vying for a place in the premiership. The performance of the local team often reflects the feelings in the town, the same with Norwich. But not here - you''d swear most people don''t even know Cambridge United exists, let alone what league they''re in or who the manager and players are!Oops, I''m going a bit off topic here. Anyway, i agree totally that we have better prospects within our club than in the lower reaches of the conference. We should put resources into developing them rather than taking more risks on others.

Two more words, Dave Kitson. And another eleve... Zema could have been decent were it not his spaghetti cruciates.(Er, i''m not being very consistent with my arguments here am i?!)

...or with my typing and basic sentence construction. "...were it not FOR his spaghetti cruciates." Which now makes twelve words. I''ll go to bed now [:(]

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

[quote user="a1canary"]I see Coventry have actually tabled a bid to Cambridge United for this guy. He''s scored 17 in a side that finished lower mid table in the conference. He must have something about him to attract this much interest but the step up from conference to championship is an enormous one and i can only imagine he would be an investment. We have Jarvis as an investment while if we''re looking for someone to have a quick impact i think Sharp is a better bet.
Did anyone know anything about Simpson when he was at Colney? I don''t remember the name myself.
[/quote]

I think the fuss is that he scored 15 of those goals in the last 16 games of the season.  Not that it means much I suppose.

[/quote]

perhaps the question we should ask is how many games he played last season.

if he scored in august then went months without a goal in the conference then we should steer clear! he''d make Brown Look good!

jas :)

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Leeds signed Tresor Kandol from Barnet as he''d scored 10 in 29 for them, but, which is what got peoples attention, 61 in 102 for Thurrock. Made him look like a certainty, but he levelled out slightly at Barnet and crashed and burnt at Leeds. Simpson may be another Andy Keogh, but again, he might have found his level. A risk, they''re always worth taking, but a risk none-the-less. Danny Bloomfield was the last example of us bringing in a "hot shot" from non-league wasn''t he?[/quote]

I would settle for 10 in 29 games from Chris Brown!!!