Sign in to follow this  
CambridgeCanary

Earnshaw - Where's the beef!!!

Something between a resined acceptance and near hysteria is gripping this messsage board regarding the feared/assumed sale of Earnie this summer.  I have challenged it on a couple of threads but been drowned in the rush.   So, here are the challenges:

1.   Where is the evidence that anyone in the Prem and I mean anyone is interested?  Apart from a couple of posts on Football Rumours, I have seen nothing.  Typical is todays Times which has a complete 20 club rundown on the Prem transfers and identifies each club''s targets for the summer.  Some are accurate and some are fanciful.   The name Earnshaw is not to be seen anywhere.  The same is true for every other reputable gossip site (is that an oxymoron?) I can find.  Before there is a sale there has to be a buyer.  Posters continually talk as if there will an irrestible flood offers for Earnie this summer....I repeat; where is the evidence?   It is assumed that his goals make him a natural target.  I have seen no sensible speculation about Prem clubs targetting Chopra, Rasiak or Cureton either.

2.  We are going to get £4-6 million for Earnie which can be reinvested.   Only if there is a serious auction.  See 1) above.

3.  All the bids being made only make sense if monies are coming in and that can only happen if Earnie is sold.   This after two years of threads asking repeatedly where have all the proceeds of the sales gone.   Doh!!!!   We sell Ashton, Green, Mckenzie et al and make a huge profit on transfers.  We then start to try and spend monye.  Am I really the only one to see a connection?   Is the sale of Earnie the only credible explanation?  If I am right, then one thing is confirmed.  The Board lost faith in Worthy and did not make funds available preferring to keep them back and wait and see.  Is such a thing impossible?  Also, if I am right then it suggests that the Board knows what it is doing.  That I suspect is the hardest thing for many posters to see and accept and the incompetence of the Board has become an article of quasi religious faith for some on here.

Like I say.   Let us all calm down and look for beef not fantasy.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Something between a resined acceptance and near hysteria is gripping this messsage board regarding the feared/assumed sale of Earnie this summer.  I have challenged it on a couple of threads but been drowned in the rush.   So, here are the challenges:

1.   Where is the evidence that anyone in the Prem and I mean anyone is interested?  Apart from a couple of posts on Football Rumours, I have seen nothing.  Typical is todays Times which has a complete 20 club rundown on the Prem transfers and identifies each club''s targets for the summer.  Some are accurate and some are fanciful.   The name Earnshaw is not to be seen anywhere.  The same is true for every other reputable gossip site (is that an oxymoron?) I can find.  Before there is a sale there has to be a buyer.  Posters continually talk as if there will an irrestible flood offers for Earnie this summer....I repeat; where is the evidence?   It is assumed that his goals make him a natural target.  I have seen no sensible speculation about Prem clubs targetting Chopra, Rasiak or Cureton either.

2.  We are going to get £4-6 million for Earnie which can be reinvested.   Only if there is a serious auction.  See 1) above.

3.  All the bids being made only make sense if monies are coming in and that can only happen if Earnie is sold.   This after two years of threads asking repeatedly where have all the proceeds of the sales gone.   Doh!!!!   We sell Ashton, Green, Mckenzie et al and make a huge profit on transfers.  We then start to try and spend monye.  Am I really the only one to see a connection?   Is the sale of Earnie the only credible explanation?  If I am right, then one thing is confirmed.  The Board lost faith in Worthy and did not make funds available preferring to keep them back and wait and see.  Is such a thing impossible?  Also, if I am right then it suggests that the Board knows what it is doing.  That I suspect is the hardest thing for many posters to see and accept and the incompetence of the Board has become an article of quasi religious faith for some on here.

[/quote]

A perfectly possible and reasonable scenario CAMBRIDGE...

But I actually believe that we are pretty much skint... 

If we were to sign a striker for £2million plus and kept Earnie then I would be most shocked and may even eat my words... but for the life of me I can''t see that happening in a million years.

If we were to sign somebody of Sharp''s potential then I think you will find that Eanie is out of the door to the highest bidder before the ink has even dried on Sharp''s contract!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

If we were to sign a striker for £2million plus and kept Earnie then I would be most shocked and may even eat my words... but for the life of me I can''t see that happening in a million years.

If we were to sign somebody of Sharp''s potential then I think you will find that Eanie is out of the door to the highest bidder before the ink has even dried on Sharp''s contract!!!

[/quote]

Which takes us round the roundabout again my dear Smudger because there is not the slightest hint of any bidder much less a highest one.   If that is the strategy then it is either remarkably secret or remarkably failing!!!

They are certainly good points CC, and they are all possible. What I try to give is my opinion, and I''m aware I get things wrong (only sometimes, of course...).

Personally I do not have too much of a problem with the Board and I feel bringing in the Turner''s was an excellent piece of business. I also expect we have some money to spend this summer, as PG was clearly promised a decent player budget when he joined which can now be dished out comfortably following the Turners'' loan.

I also agree, as I did in one of your previous posts, that their seems little in the way of rumour following Earnie.

But it is difficult to shake the suspicion of past seasons. Our first two bids of the summer were for strikers who are in a similar mould to Earnie, and of a considerable sum of money for a club which has just ran out of it safety net income.

Are we confident enought that a ''for sale Earnie'' will create enough demand anyway? Is the lack of interest due to a deal already being done and those ''in the know''... erm... knowing? Are we trying to ease the scoring burden on Earnie for next season?

The thing is, as seasons come and go, I feel I need to accept the most painful scenario to ensure I don''t end up disappointed. Sad isn''t it?...[:P]

What''s to say that we have 4 million to spend after the sale of Ashton, Green, MacKenzie and others plus the investment of new directors and Grant decided that it would be wisest to buy players in the summer rather than waste money for an ill-fated season with no chance of play-off football achievable.Also there''s nothing to say that Grant has planned this since he came (the plan being mention often as to why he got the job) and delibreately got Marshall and Fotheringham to assess them over a long period of time to see if they were up to scratch.

But back to the point nobody wants earnshaw as he doesn''t work hard enough upfront and the only team that could/should buy him is West ham where him and Ashton would work exceptionally well together. However that''s never gonna happen. So i think Earnie is staying.Just because we have put in a bid for another striker doesn''t mean that we are selling players. Yes, that was our policy in our past but we have new directors, new managment staff and a new era to usher in which is seems perfectly reasonable.Worthington probably did lose the board after crazy bad signings such as Jarrett which probably destroyed any faith in Worthington being transfer market smart.

Derby fans at work have been pestering me all day that Earnie was in talks with Derby''s representatives in Cardiff last night.

Very fair points CC. Just as the sale of McKenzie was going through did we not nearly have David Cotteril for a price of £2mil? plus with ad ons and such like i should imagine it would reach the figure we have had accepted for Sharp. I can''t recall this amount of money being spent since then so our current transfer kitty has maybe grown over the last year or two and would explain our apparent ''riches''?

C''mon Granty -keep Earnie - get Sharp -get Marshall - get a centre half and we''re nearly there!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Which takes us round the roundabout again my dear Smudger because there is not the slightest hint of any bidder much less a highest one.   If that is the strategy then it is either remarkably secret or remarkably failing!!!

[/quote]

Remarkably failing knowing our board of directors CAMBRIDGE!!!

They may just make £500k to £1million out of the deal however... plenty enough to put towards building another bar/club-shop/travel-shop/pie-shop or whatever it is that tickles Delia''s fancy next.  [:D]

In addition, as far as I know all Earnie said was that he dreams of playing in the Premiership. its hardly a transfer request is it? I dream of many things (most of which stay private!!), such as going to the Moon one day, but that doesn''t mean I''m going to go out the following day and enrol in astronaut night classes...........

The thirst for knowledge, scandal and stories is almost self perpetuating at times.

Cambridge, isn''t there a slight inconsistency in your two main points - that no-one is interested in Ernie, and if we can get £4m or £5m? If no-one is interested can we even guarantee to get our money back? Premiership teams who can afford such figures will arguably want a more complete player for that kind of money, and Championship teams, apart from parachute beneficiaries, will clearly look for cheaper strikers.It may be that Ernie will go this summer, that a deal has already been done, but I doubt that we would get the kind of figure you mentioned for a player who did not exactly set the Premiership alight before. I suspect that he will be here until January at least, by which time he may lose interest like Ashton. I would be very surprised if we got a fee anywhere near the one we received for Ashton.(One final point, and pesssimistically, whatever fee we received for Ernie, or any other player, is whittled down in various ways, including agent''s cut. We would have available rather less than 100% of the fee!)

[quote user="Salopian"]Cambridge, isn''t there a slight inconsistency in your two main points - that no-one is interested in Ernie, and if we can get £4m or £5m? If no-one is interested can we even guarantee to get our money back? Premiership teams who can afford such figures will arguably want a more complete player for that kind of money, and Championship teams, apart from parachute beneficiaries, will clearly look for cheaper strikers.

It may be that Ernie will go this summer, that a deal has already been done, but I doubt that we would get the kind of figure you mentioned for a player who did not exactly set the Premiership alight before. I suspect that he will be here until January at least, by which time he may lose interest like Ashton. I would be very surprised if we got a fee anywhere near the one we received for Ashton.

(One final point, and pesssimistically, whatever fee we received for Ernie, or any other player, is whittled down in various ways, including agent''s cut. We would have available rather less than 100% of the fee!)
[/quote]

That''s exactly my point.  lots of posters are saying we should hold out and get £4-6m for Earnie.  I don''t agree.   As I said in my original post - though obviously not clearly enough; sorry- without a number of serious bidders, it aint going to happen.  So where are the bidders?

to be honest i think we only have to worry about a team like charlton taking him to blast them back into the prem, sheffield united and watford as well. maybe wolves but then if hes going to go to one of them he may be just as good staying here and playing rather than going to a club in the same division where he may have to compete for places.