Sign in to follow this  
Pabs

David Marshall transfer request!

It would seem that our chances of signing David Marshall have been re-ignited by him handing in a transfer request.  He is, it seems, keen on a return to Carrow Road to link up with Peter Grant.  I think he would be a great addition to the squad.  My only concern in Joe Lewis'' development.  Marshall is only 22, and if he is our number one for 3 or 4 years, it would put Lewis back alot.

Given the current financial situation, would it not be better to sign a cheaper, older keeper as back-up for a first-choice Lewis? Much as we did with Green/Crichton in Green''s first couple of seasons?

Marshall would be a quality signing,and a step in the right direction,i think another £250,000 would secure the deal come on board dig deep!!

and it appears a bid has been turned down.

We need to either break the bank to get him here.. or dare i say it offer them Earnie as part of the deal.. but only if we get Sharp!

jas :)

I wouldn''t go over 500k going up to a potential 700k, I wouldn''t go any higher then that. And if they still reject it we should look else where.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

We need to either break the bank to get him here.. or dare i say it offer them Earnie as part of the deal.. but only if we get Sharp!

[/quote]

Tell me you were joking about the last part.  Give them our top striker for a goalkeeper who we only saw play a few times and when we have Joe Lewis about to break through in the next year.  Give them £500,000 - £750,000 at the most for him, if not get an older goalkeeper for alot less or free and then bring Lewis through.

I''ll assume you were joking..........

[quote user="Brandon"]

I wouldn''t go over 500k going up to a potential 700k, I wouldn''t go any higher then that. And if they still reject it we should look else where.

[/quote]

Agreed. He''s now slipped down to 3rd or 4th choice at Celtic. He''s very inexperienced and hasn''t really proven himself at any level.

Also there never really seems to be anyone but us interested in him which is a bit strange considering many City fans suggest he would be a ''great'' signing.

[quote user="Pabs"]

My only concern in Joe Lewis'' development.  Marshall is only 22, and if he is our number one for 3 or 4 years, it would put Lewis back alot.

Given the current financial situation, would it not be better to sign a cheaper, older keeper as back-up for a first-choice Lewis? Much as we did with Green/Crichton in Green''s first couple of seasons?

[/quote]

yea but you cant not sign a good player just because we have a youngster who may also be good one day

[quote user="Mrtin"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Tell me you were joking about the last part.  Give them our top striker for a goalkeeper who we only saw play a few times and when we have Joe Lewis about to break through in the next year.  Give them £500,000 - £750,000 at the most for him, if not get an older goalkeeper for alot less or free and then bring Lewis through.

I''ll assume you were joking..........

[/quote]

Would have to agree with that MARTIN...

Although Marshall may be worth up to £1million I would not bid any more than £750k for him...

Going for Neil Alexander on a free and trying to bring through Joe Lewis while we invest the other money on another area of the defence would probably be a better option.

We all have no idea of how much money will eventually be spent, so it is difficult to say how much we should be prepared to bid on any one player... this will all be open to conjecture when the transfer window slams shut at the end of August.

i was joking yes... Although i do think Celtic will try to bleed us dry.

as for Joe Lewis.. he has been in and around the first team for a long time now and hasnt featured against even tin pot sides (tamworth, Cheltenham, Northampton to name but a few) in the cups that we have played in recent seasons... he also fails to make the bench ahead of Paul Gallagher.

People Rave about joew Lewis but most up and coming keepers have appeared in their first team a few times by his age... even at the end of the season in the nothing games he didnt play.. he wasnt even getting on the bench!

I have a funny feeling he will be released after next year.. have seen him in the ressies and he isnt the keeper everyone makes him out to be. if he hasnt had a chance now ahead of Gallagher then he isnt going to get a chance.

worthy/Grant all preferred Marhsall, Camp, Warner and Gallagher ahead of him.... we have to ask why?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

So are you saying that Marshall is worth about £5-6m then jas?

I would rather we offered Celtic cash + Paul Gallacher [:D]

"People Rave about joew Lewis but most up and coming keepers have appeared in their first team a few times by his age... even at the end of the season in the nothing games he didnt play.. he wasnt even getting on the bench!"

Maybe the fact he was getting vital first team experience on loan at a club 250 miles away made it slightly hard for him to make the bench?!

yes i know that Alex... but why couldnt he of got that 1st team experiance with us?

if we want him to be a premiership/championship goalkeeper than why has he never been given a chance at that level or competitivley with us?

I reckon it was because when we sent him on loan we were not 100% (prob

90%) sure of having any dead games - he very nearly got playoff

experience which would have been massive.

Lets all pretend that Paul Gallacher is amazing, then offer him on a straight swap deal for Marshall to Celtic. Let Celtic be fooled... I''ll start...

"Oh my god i really hope we don''t lose Gallacher the Scotland superstar, it''s only a matter of time before Celtic get wise to the fact that he''s actually world class"...

Okay, now somebody post this URL link onto the Celtic forum.

I guess it''s a case of whether we trust Peter Grants judgement as to how good Marshall is. I think Marshall is Grants number one A list keeper. He was determined to get him on loan last season and seems determined to sign him now. It seems Marshall wants to sign for us, which is another plus.

I didn''t see enough of Marshall last season to form an opinion but I saw enough of Gallacher to form the opinion he needs to be replaced. We need to start the next season with a new goalkeeper as a permanent player. It''s a hugely important position and in my view our failure to get it right last season was the main cause of our defensive problems.

In fact we probably need to sign 2 keepers because Lewis needs proper games not reserve team football and bench time. So I would loan him out to get experience and sign a keeper nearing the end of his career to  keep our bench warm.

OOPS!!!

Your post wasn''t there when I posted Michael Starr!!

OK ... Gallacher is truely aweso...... can''t do it...sorry! [;)]