Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

How do you measure a big club?

This always comes up pre-season, i always notice fans on club forums saying the same thing... "oh so and so are in for him too, they''ll get him, they''re a bigger club". For example, Wigan, are they a bigger club than us? They''re in the Premier League, but we get higher attendances, we have more potential, they have more cash... how is this measured?

Well league status first off.

Currently you''d have to class wigan as a bigger club as any player would pick them over us due to their league status.

Unless of course said player knew their cahances would be limited, then they may come here for first team football.

Ugh. This is going to get complicated, cause i''m thinking there is ''temporary'' and ''long term'' status here too.

I.e. Wigan currently bigger club as in the prem, but if they came down, stayed down, lost the backing they''d be a smaller club than us........

I suppose its all relative and in the eyes of the player.

Re: How do you measure a big club?

Well, I measure a big club, on how many seal pups it can take-out in one swing.....[:P]

IT''S A JOKE! OK!

I actually love the little furry things.......and their parents.

I honestly haven''t got a clue how to measure a big club. Everyone has different ideas. Is it possible to temporarily be a big club? Were Sheffield United a bigger club than Wednesday just for last season or will Wednesday always be a bigger club regardless of league position?

Another old chestnut is clubs who are referred to as "sleeping giants". How long can the likes of  Wolves be sleeping giants before they become an average club?

I guess most people could accept that Manchester United are the biggest club in England but after that nobody would ever agree!

Yes, at present Wigan are a bigger club than you. The number of "bums on seats" is irrelevent. Nowadays it''s down to having a very very rich owner who can pump big money into the squad.

Wigan''s chairman owns JJB Sports and others. He can pump more money into Wigan than Delia could ever expect to. The fact that they have a half empty stadium, does not matter. I don''t like this but it is true.

It easier to say who is not a big club,  basically any club whose fans need to argue that they are a big club,  or whose fans beleive their club belongs in the premier league. 

Sleeping giant?  No way,  ditto little old norwich. But we are one of the top 40? clubs in the land a position that has remained unchanged for 40 years, no more no less. 

IMHO a big club is a club that is able to put the most bums on seats; is solvent, and is able to pay its way with the income from gate receipts and club facilities that are available to all; where club activities are crystal clear and are able to publish yearly a balance sheet in simple terms, that all supporters and fans alike can make complete sense of.  Where the policies and aims are clearly stated at the beginning of each season. 

Also when there is a failure to meet those aims, an explanitory note is published stating stating the reason for that failure.  It is also a club that from its receipts, is able to hire fire and employ the best players available. Therefore a club that can physically attract to their locality the best available.  Produce a fan base that is appreciative of that status to a point where they will only conduct themselves in a respectable manner in all matters (written or spoken) to do with this truely BIG CLUB. I cannot ever visualise little old Norwich ever becoming a club like that and as I cannot see over the horizon, there is at this present time not one in view.  OTBC!!!