Sign in to follow this  
NavMan

The Younger Sutton

So does anybody feel that the younger of the Sutton Brothers on a free transfer is worth taking a punt on.  I certainly do - has proved his scoring credentials and like his agent said a young british striker for nothing when we are looking at Sharpe for 2.5 mill.

I''ve never seen him play, so I''m not sure. I''d much rather his brother signed but Worthy made sure that was never going to happen!!! [:@]

“I approached Norwich City, obviously under different management,” said McGill. “He (Sutton) clearly would have given the move serious consideration.

“Norwich definitely had an approach from me, but it was purely the manager''s decision and you have to respect individual manager''s views. Nigel Worthington did not want him - although I am certain one or two others at the club wanted Chris Sutton.”

Worthington cited Sutton''s injury problems as a concern, although his successor, Peter Grant, last week expressed surprise that a deal had not been done a year ago, admitting he would be interested should the player become available.

[quote user="The artist formally known as Bruces Header"]

I''ve never seen him play, so I''m not sure. I''d much rather his brother signed but Worthy made sure that was never going to happen!!! [:@]

“I approached Norwich City, obviously under different management,” said McGill. “He (Sutton) clearly would have given the move serious consideration.

“Norwich definitely had an approach from me, but it was purely the manager''s decision and you have to respect individual manager''s views. Nigel Worthington did not want him - although I am certain one or two others at the club wanted Chris Sutton.”

Worthington cited Sutton''s injury problems as a concern, although his successor, Peter Grant, last week expressed surprise that a deal had not been done a year ago, admitting he would be interested should the player become available.

[/quote]

So Chris Sutton in the end signed for Aston Villa last October where he got fit, played in 9 games, scored 1 goal and got injured again. Meanwhile Worthington had signed Dion Dublin in Septemeber who was fit, played 38 games, scored 7 goals and has signed again for another season.

I don''t know if Worthington was right about Sutton, the evidence suggests he was, however  I would love a fit Chris Sutton to be playing for us. But what I do think is that had he taken a chance and signed Sutton last August/September we wouldn''t have signed Dublin. Right or wrong I think we have had the best deal so far.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The artist formally known as Bruces Header"]

“I approached Norwich City, obviously under different management,” said McGill. “He (Sutton) clearly would have given the move serious consideration.“Norwich definitely had an approach from me, but it was purely the manager''s decision and you have to respect individual manager''s views. Nigel Worthington did not want him - although I am certain one or two others at the club wanted Chris Sutton.”Worthington cited Sutton''s injury problems as a concern, although his successor, Peter Grant, last week expressed surprise that a deal had not been done a year ago, admitting he would be interested should the player become available.

[/quote]

So Chris Sutton in the end signed for Aston Villa last October where he got fit, played in 9 games, scored 1 goal and got injured again. Meanwhile Worthington had signed Dion Dublin in Septemeber who was fit, played 38 games, scored 7 goals and has signed again for another season.

I don''t know if Worthington was right about Sutton, the evidence suggests he was, however  I would love a fit Chris Sutton to be playing for us. But what I do think is that had he taken a chance and signed Sutton last August/September we wouldn''t have signed Dublin. Right or wrong I think we have had the best deal so far.

[/quote]Very good point nutty prehaps people slating worthy should look at the facts

Hindsight is a great thing. If Sutton had signed for us, he may not have got injured & we may have been better off.

Bring back ''Super Chrisie Sutton''!!

But that''s the whole point. It wasn''t hindsight from Worthington more like foresight. Like I said, I would love a fit Chris Sutton to be playing for us, but I believe, for whatever reason, Dublin has proved a better option so far.

Dublin has certainly ben fantastic for us & I was ecstatic when he signed for another year. but wouldn''t it be great if they both signed? They could take it in turns in defence & up front!!

Anyway, has any one seen Sutton junior play? I only know he has been St Mirren''s top scorer the past 2 seasons!

I think that we should definetely take a very close look at Sutton Junior...

He has scored quite a few in the SPL and a fair few clubs are after him up there and willing to pay money for him...

Any English club would get him on a free transfer and he is definetely worth a punt...

Maybe we could do a swap deal with St Mirren and get that useless tw.@t Chris Brown off the wage bill???

[quote user="Northern Canary"]

Does being top scorer at St Mirren make him prolific? How many goals has he actually scored?I think there are better players available

[/quote]But look at Lappin, St Mirren might be a good club to steal players from [;)]

[quote user="Smudger"]

He has scored quite a few in the SPL and a fair few clubs are after him up there and willing to pay money for him...

Any English club would get him on a free transfer and he is definetely worth a punt...

Maybe we could do a swap deal with St Mirren and get that useless tw.@t Chris Brown off the wage bill???

[/quote]Come on Smudger don''t you think it is unfair to keep rubbishing Brown even though the guy has only played a handfull of games for us and most on here are only going on what the Sunderland fans have said about him

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Everybody knows that Scottish football is the same as Monkey Tennis.

apparnetly close to signing, him on a free and lappin for cheap, what a good couple of deals form St Mirren!!

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Everybody knows that Scottish football is the same as Monkey Tennis.

[/quote]

Nearly as bad, but that is ladies football that you kindly refer to A LOAD OF SQUIT!!!  [;)]

[quote user="barclayendboy"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Come on Smudger don''t you think it is unfair to keep rubbishing Brown even though the guy has only played a handfull of games for us and most on here are only going on what the Sunderland fans have said about him

[/quote]

No Brown is c**p... you may not recognise it yet but you will do onbe day BARCLAYENDBOY.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Perhaps a possibility of a Sutton, Sutton partnership upfront for us next year.[Y][/quote]

Then we would have two sets of brothers

The Jarvis Bro''s

The Sutton Bro''s

I wonder if we could get that huckerbys bro to join? Now that would be good [:)]

But Sutton isn''t scottish... so we won''t sign him

We might sign his younger brother though, because he is playing at a Scottish club...

[quote user="AJ"]But Sutton isn''t scottish... so we won''t sign him

We might sign his younger brother though, because he is playing at a Scottish club...
[/quote]

EH?? didnt bigger brother Chris play for some mickey mouse scottish team? Celtic i think they were called. Same club that Grant was at for a while before he joined us.....