Sign in to follow this  
Ken Aries

Can we afford £500,000 for a keeper?

It all depends what Granty''s total transfer budget is I suppose, but as we need to strengthen the team in all areas of the field, will this large sum of money on one player leave him short of funds elsewhere?

Having said that, I can''t deny the importance of having a good 1st choice keeper, but shouldn''t Joe Lewis be given a chance?

In the 32 years I have been following the Canaries they have ALWAYS,ALWAYS needed a damm good keeper.

So I think he would be a good investment. Besides which if he has a good season with us we can sell him then let Lewis have a go.......

I think a more pertinent question is, can we afford to go into next season with Gallagher as first choice keeper?  To me the answer is no.  Gallagher is no where near commanding enough, he is a good shot stopper but he does not organise the defence or instil confidence.

Lewis is clearly not ready and would benefit from a season on loan in the lower leagues and see where he goes from there.

I think a decent keeper, is worth their weight in gold.  If Grant thinks that Marshall is the man we need then we should pay what it takes to get him.

Absolutly we should push the boat out on this one, like CS say''s Lewis could do with another year on loan as we can not afford to blood an inexperienced keeper if we want to be pushing for a playoff place.

[quote user="dickyst220"]

In the 32 years I have been following the Canaries they have ALWAYS,ALWAYS needed a damm good keeper.

So I think he would be a good investment. Besides which if he has a good season with us we can sell him then let Lewis have a go.......

[/quote]i think your making sence, marshall saved us from relegation (kind of ) and green was spectacular in the season going up so keepers can do it.

i think most people know now the way to get out of the division is through defence, winning games 1-0 like ur derbies and west brom''s of previous years is vital, and to have a strong back 4 and keeper is of upmost importance... if u keep a cleansheet you can never lose and no matter what happens your always gonna have a chance to score whether that would be in open play or set pieces... the year we went up green,fleming,mackay,edworthy and drury were very solid and consistent leaving our midfield and strikeforce (who on paper did not seem that good against others remember) to bang in the goals and send us up

Therefore spending a decent amount of money, providing grant belives he can do the job to me is not a gamble or waste at all, i''m also interested should the inevitable happen and sharp not join us, where the 2-3mill would go

I am not sure why £500,000 in this day and age is considered a lot for a keeper?  Especially a 22 year old who has undoubted pedigree and is at a big club, and who impressed while on loan here.  I personally think its peanuts if we can get him for that amount.

Our transfer budget is around 5 million this year, mark my words.

The Answer is yes.

With a £4 Million transfer budget without selling any players, then 500,000 for Marshall is defiantely affordable, we need a good gk and he fits the bill. That leave us with 3.5Million, 2.5 to potentially spend on a striker and another million to help fund a midfielder and a centre half. However, if we do sign someone like Sharp then i expect Earnshaw will leave (judging by Mumbles'' comments today), and that means another 3/4 Million which could hopefully be spent on another top quality striker as well as a better CB and CM. If we sold Earnshaw we could have a transfer kitty of 7-8 Million, not you can do alot with that.

The goalkeepers position is probably the most underated position on the pitch. In my opinion a good keeper is almost as important to a good team as a top grade striker. Both can win you games with a single flash of brilliance.

The old saying was that in order to build a side you needed to start with a good keeper, centre half and centre forward. Everything else is built around that.

I think PE is right, we need to follow the example of derby and west brom who had a decent keeper and back four who they could rely on. Then once you have them areas sorted out you can start thinking about midfield and attack. Even when the teams who get promoted are beaten it is never much, e.g. norwich 1 - 0 brum. That game had to be decided by a wonder goal from hucks. So taking that into account I would push it to £800,000 to get him, because you could certainly see the improvement in the team while he was here.

A decent defence starts with the keeper. If you don''t have a good one who can command his box and inspire confidence in those around him, you might as well not bother with the back 4. My only concern is whether or not he can be that commanding at 22. To counter this, we NEED a similar type of figure in the back four as well - one who commands and inspires confidence. Green was not a shouter and commander which is why Malky was so important to our back 5 in our play off and promo years. I think Marshall may be similar to Green in terms of temprement so we must have a dublin/malky type figure in there as well. To me, far more important to secure someone like this than the likes of Billy Sharpe.

[quote user="JC"]

I am not sure why £500,000 in this day and age is considered a lot for a keeper?  Especially a 22 year old who has undoubted pedigree and is at a big club, and who impressed while on loan here.  I personally think its peanuts if we can get him for that amount.

Our transfer budget is around 5 million this year, mark my words.

[/quote]

Yeah sounds about the right kind of sum that we will recieve for Earnshaw that does...

Our real transfer kitty (ie - what the board are prepared to invest) will equate to about £1million to £2million (max)... That is why we are squabbling about the finer points of a few hundred thousand pounds when trying to sign Marshall.

Anybody who thinks that we have pots of gold to spend this summer then I have one word for you....  Baaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!  [:D]

the reason we are squabbling over a few 100 000 is because it''s not business sense to pay more than you have to

As i understand it, we have a £4 MILLION Transfer budget, that is WITHOUT selling players. All this negativity suggesting that we don''t have the money is unfounded considering we have actually been sniffing around multi million pound players such as Varney and Sharp. My figures may not be 100% accurate, but it does appear the Turners (as you''d expect considering they are worth mega millions) have put in more than has been announced, on the quiet to help PG  build a squad capable of promotion. I repeat, this is Without Selling players, although i still expect Earnshaw will leave.

In answer to the question in the thread, I think it is more of a case that we can''t afford not to have a  decent keeper, and if that takes £500k+ that''s fine by me - that is if we are going to have to buy one; Alexander, Coyne et al are on a free, but I''d still go for Marshall. 

A decent keeper can probably save as many points as a striker can gain you - in our Championship winning side I can recall plenty of first class saves that Green made, he probably saved 10 or more dead cert goals, and that is not far off what our top scorer got us.

It has been said plenty of times and it is worth saying again - it is almost always the sides with the best defences that get promoted, our title winning season we let in 37, less than a goal a game; last season we let in 71 in the league - we clearly can''t do that again if we harbour any promotion ambitions.

can we afford not to spend the money on a decent keeper?

statistically, we have been cr@p for ages defensively, so the £500,000 or whatever it could actually be is money well spent in my humble opinion...

[quote user="djcat"]

can we afford not to spend the money on a decent keeper?

statistically, we have been cr@p for ages defensively, so the £500,000 or whatever it could actually be is money well spent in my humble opinion...

[/quote]

if u dont lose the ball u dont concede goals.. Defence and midfield needs work...

jas :)

Can we afford NOT to get him.  The most important position of all.  Marshall is obtainable and 500k is not a fortune if we have the much touted £2m plus to spend.  That, as others have said, without selling anyone.

We cannot have another season like the previous two, when too many games have been lost on throwing away the points in the final minutes.  A commanding goalie is key to this, alongside another central defender.

[quote user="Peter Grants Tartan Army"]As i understand it, we have a £4 MILLION Transfer budget, that is WITHOUT selling players. All this negativity suggesting that we don''t have the money is unfounded considering we have actually been sniffing around multi million pound players such as Varney and Sharp. My figures may not be 100% accurate, but it does appear the Turners (as you''d expect considering they are worth mega millions) have put in more than has been announced, on the quiet to help PG  build a squad capable of promotion. I repeat, this is Without Selling players, although i still expect Earnshaw will leave.[/quote]

Only time will tell PGTA...

I however believe that all of the big money deals that we are talking about are purely based on the fact that Earnie will be sold to finance these deals.

I would be more than shocked if as you suggest we spend £4million plus without letting any of our star players go.

If we have this £4million that you speak of and then Earnie is sold how much in total will we spend on transfers in your opinion??? 

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Peter Grants Tartan Army"]As i understand it, we have a £4 MILLION Transfer budget, that is WITHOUT selling players. All this negativity suggesting that we don''t have the money is unfounded considering we have actually been sniffing around multi million pound players such as Varney and Sharp. My figures may not be 100% accurate, but it does appear the Turners (as you''d expect considering they are worth mega millions) have put in more than has been announced, on the quiet to help PG  build a squad capable of promotion. I repeat, this is Without Selling players, although i still expect Earnshaw will leave.[/quote]

I however believe that all of the big money deals that we are talking about are purely based on the fact that Earnie will be sold to finance these deals.

I would be more than shocked if as you suggest we spend £4million plus without letting any of our star players go.

If we have this £4million that you speak of and then Earnie is sold how much in total will we spend on transfers in your opinion??? 

[/quote]

I don''t know what we would do if we sold Earnshaw, i would hope that we would put alot of it back into a kitty, i expect that say we sell Earnshaw for £4 Million, £2Million or so would be put into transfers, though you never know with NCFC and this is a total guess, nothing to de with my source that has told me this info.

(It is the same source that ''Voice of the Thorpe Area'' has mentioned in a post today, i know Votta away from this messageboard and we both know the source in question and have no reason to not believe what he is saying.)

[quote user="Peter Grants Tartan Army"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

I don''t know what we would do if we sold Earnshaw, i would hope that we would put alot of it back into a kitty, i expect that say we sell Earnshaw for £4 Million, £2Million or so would be put into transfers, though you never know with NCFC and this is a total guess, nothing to de with my source that has told me this info.

(It is the same source that ''Voice of the Thorpe Area'' has mentioned in a post today, i know Votta away from this messageboard and we both know the source in question and have no reason to not believe what he is saying.)

[/quote]

Who is this source then PGTA???

For all the evidence it may as well be a bottle of HP!!!

So you estimate £6million to spend if Earnie is sold then?

Well I would say that is a justifiable amount if Earnie is sold but if he is sold for £5million then it would still only mean that this useless board of ours has put in £1million...

At that it is still only half the amount that was supposedly there to pay for Cotteril this time last year.

If Earnie is sold for £5million and the board are going to put in £4million then it is only right that we see approximately £9million spent on new players.

We need £4million or £5million spent without letting anybody go... if we sell anybody (such as Earnie) then all of the money that we recieve from the transfer needs to be re-invested back in to the playing squad immediately surely???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Peter Grants Tartan Army"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who is this source then PGTA???

For all the evidence it may as well be a bottle of HP!!!

So you estimate £6million to spend if Earnie is sold then?

Well I would say that is a justifiable amount if Earnie is sold but if he is sold for £5million then it would still only mean that this useless board of ours has put in £1million...

At that it is still only half the amount that was supposedly there to pay for Cotteril this time last year.

If Earnie is sold for £5million and the board are going to put in £4million then it is only right that we see approximately £9million spent on new players.

We need £4million or £5million spent without letting anybody go... if we sell anybody (such as Earnie) then all of the money that we recieve from the transfer needs to be re-invested back in to the playing squad immediately surely???

[/quote]

We''ll have to wait and see what happens, if Earnshaw goes, although ianticipate the signing of someone like Sharp would mean that Earnshaw is on his way. I think £4Million, not more is realalistic amount for him, a small profit. I can''t see the board making it all available, because they will say there are substantial funds already in private, and will use some of it to perhaps pay off loans or whatever.

It''s going to be an interesting summer