Sign in to follow this  
Putney Canary

How much should we spend this summer?

Many people on this board have been doubting the board''s ambition. We now have new investors on board, so this summer should provide a great insite in to the real levels of ambition of Delia and co.Simple question - Presuming there are no more players leaving, how much money do you think the club should spend this summer to prove it has ambition? Why do you pick that figure?

We need between 5 and 7 players to come in to provide competition.  Provided they are of a standard capable of competing for our first team, then that should provide the competition in the squad neccesary to get the best out of our players.  If we can get those players for 50k or 3 million, it shouldn''t matter.

[quote user="Putney Canary"]Many people on this board have been doubting the board''s ambition. We now have new investors on board, so this summer should provide a great insite in to the real levels of ambition of Delia and co.

Simple question - Presuming there are no more players leaving, how much money do you think the club should spend this summer to prove it has ambition? Why do you pick that figure?
[/quote]

About £9million I think seeing as Earnie is on his way to Derby or Watford for £5million anyhow (according to The Sun this morning).

Of course we will be lucky to even see the full £5million that we get for Earnie.

In other words the Turners will be putting in diddly squat and neither will Delia... but then again us wise ones knew that this would be the case all along!!!

You would be very lucky if not a genius to get the full fee to respend after the associated fees are paid.

Don''t expect the full value to be pumped back in. It doesn''t happen.

well seeing as the earnie rumour is just that, its a bit early to say surely?

Even if it is true is it £5m up front or would it be a deal ''worth'' £5m as so many are these days?

And the Turners have already put in £2m which is harldy diddly squat either.

We need to spend what we can afford, and spend it wisely.

What that figure is we probably won''t know untill the next set of accounts comes out.

[quote]About £9million I think seeing as Earnie is on his way to Derby or

Watford for £5million anyhow (according to The Sun this morning).[/quote]Gossip in The Sun and Earnie leaving are 2 very different things.  Having said that, 5 million for a player who scores a lot of goals, but doesn''t function effectively in the team seems like a fair amount of money.   If Earnie is off, then you would want to buy players before he goes, on the basis that once he has gone, other teams are going to assume we''re loaded and up their prices accordingly.If we said bye bye Earnie, hello Billy Sharp and Jamie Cureton, and maybe even had some cash left over, I think most people would be happy with that.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Putney Canary"]Many people on this board have been doubting the board''s ambition. We now have new investors on board, so this summer should provide a great insite in to the real levels of ambition of Delia and co.

Simple question - Presuming there are no more players leaving, how much money do you think the club should spend this summer to prove it has ambition? Why do you pick that figure?
[/quote]

About £9million I think seeing as Earnie is on his way to Derby or Watford for £5million anyhow (according to The Sun this morning).

Of course we will be lucky to even see the full £5million that we get for Earnie.

In other words the Turners will be putting in diddly squat and neither will Delia... but then again us wise ones knew that this would be the case all along!!!

[/quote]

Thank God for Smudger.

His excellent take on this says all I wanted to say.................and more................well done mate.

Even in the event of Earnster going, I can''t see there being much money spent - the addition of umpteen youth players to the current squad has seen to that.

In my humble opinion a forecast of two to three low cost signings ''twixt now and the beginning of the season wouldn''t be too far out. [:(] [:@]

Obviously I hope I''m proved wrong, but unless the Turners make their investment more realistic I seriously don''t see the board bucking the trend of the last five years.

Earnie probably will go but i very much doubt it will be to derby or watford. another championship club or just the 1 season in the premiership probably does not really appeal to earnie that much. anyway all this cynicism about the turner''s is unfounded i think - they''re clearly not going to be wasteful and put 8 or 9mil in the pot but their arrival has certainly increased our transfer budget

LISTEN

We have £4Million already in a transfer kitty. We have already bid £2.5M for Sharp and 500k for Marshall which shows that money will be spent. I have no information on what will happen if Earnshaw goes (which honestly isnt the end of the world as long as we repace him), but with the turners ambition, which no-one can doubt - Smudger!, 1st wizard! - and there obvious bank balance then i think the negativity is ridiculous.

Hopefully the board will decide to spend  some of the Earnashaw sale as well, but Spending £9 Million simply isn''t going to happen. Money doesnt always buy success, and a gung ho approach like that could in the end cause more problems than it solved. Remember that the club is significantly in debt, and although we have the Turner''s on board we need to safeguard the future. In business terms Earnshaw is an asset, and we cant go wasting £4-5 Million with the click of your fingers.

it''s not about what you spend its about who you spend it on. look at kevin doyle at reading as an example

But we HAVE to spend plenty to get where the money is.

The debt this club is in is not going to decrease if we''re going to struggle in the Championship for the coming seasons - unless, that is, the likely scenario is one of the board hoping to sell the best of what we''ve got and/or can produce via the youth players, which means we could be in debt for a very long time, especially in light of the falling attendances.

Spending big money is always a gamble, but looking at our options I''m adamant it''s the stake the board should make.

I think we are all going to be surprised at what we spend this season.

I predict it will be at least £4 million and could be considerably more if Earnie goes.

Don''t laugh Smudger (but if I''m wrong I won''t be eating my underpants in the centre circle)

What should we spend? All of the money we have, plus whatever we can borrow.

Go for broke. Then if it pays off it would be proven to have been great, and if it fails then call in the administrators to wipe out the debt, sell the club off perhaps back to Delia for 1pence per pie sold on match days, then go for broke again....

[quote user="blahblahblah"]We need between 5 and 7 players to come in to provide competition.  Provided they are of a standard capable of competing for our first team, then that should provide the competition in the squad neccesary to get the best out of our players.  If we can get those players for 50k or 3 million, it shouldn''t matter.[/quote]Good point, but I think the realities are that we will have to spend to get the players we want. The board is being accused of a lack of ambition, it seems people think 3-4m spent (without taking Earnie possibly going/staying whatever) will prove they DO have ambition. But I expect even if they do spend that sort of figure, they will still get roundly criticised on here!

For me its not about how much we spend but about getting the right sort of players in to get the shape of the squad balanced, with competition for places and people who want to win.    Colchester did that by spending less than a million.

We could easuily spend £4m+ on one player but that will not improve the side at all;  we need a volume of players with a mix of age and experience (meaning unknowns (so cheap) irrespective of origin) but with a desire to win and hopefully lead each other.