Sign in to follow this  
Herb

Dublin next season

A lot of people were bemused when Worthy signed Dublin last season, and thats being polite. I admit to being slightly sceptical myself initially, but when I looked at the fact he''d arranged training with his old mates at Leicester after being released by Celtic, just to keep himself up to scratch, it said a lot about his desire to keep going. He''s always been a 110% sort of player. Remember watching him in his Coventry and Villa days and always rated him. Never gave up, always in there where it might hurt, willing to bleed for the cause if needed."Worth a punt, Worthy" I thought.So I watched his first appearace with trepidation. I really wanted him to succeed, didn''t want a player I rated to end his career looking second rate and out of his depth. And by god did he answer the critics. Whether he was starting (usually as a "makeshift" defender) or coming on as sub, he always delivered the goods. With the threadbare squad and injuries last season, Dublin ended starting a lot more games than I expected, too lazy to seek the stats out, but I''d guess about 10 home games. Now here''s the thing...it was never him looking like a 38 year old as the final whistle neared. A few of his teammates looked all that and then some.At Tamworth I remember him looking a bit gutted being subbed about 15 minutes from time - he was on a hattrick! Says a lot, he didn''t just come here for a handy little pay day at the end of his career, he came to do what he''s done since he started playing. Play to the best of his ability, displaying a desire to win to the people that pay his wages.I suppose my point is, he didn''t look 9 months older by the end of the season (although I''m sure he felt it!) and if we don''t sign another target man to play with Hucks/Earnie I know who''d be amongst the first names on my teamsheet next season, fitness allowing.He never really got the chance to forge a decent partnership up front, cos he was standing in for Doherty so much, but his aerial presence alone tells me it''d only be a matter of time before someone was enjoying the fruits of his labour. Dublin for captain!

No opinions on this then? Sorry, not controversial enough I guess [;)]

yeah, you didnt insult delia, grant or any players once, and u want reponses?!

I would be interested where people think dublin will play next season, baring in mind we need 4 centre backs, and 4-5 strikers.   he seems to want to play up front but with 1brown, 2martin, 3earnie (or his replacement), 4 jarvis, 5hucks, where does he fit in?

In my opinion, the captain needs to be the first name on the team-sheet.  Dublin, at 39, won''t be on every team sheet, he''ll have to be rested for mid-week games, and be an important bit-part player.If Andy Hughes is considered a first team player next season, I''d make him captain.  His commitment is never in question.There.  That should be controversial enough to get this thread moving...

Dublin should not be captain because IMHO his best use is on the bench as a utility player or cover for injuries.

I thought DD was magnificent BUT................

I feel his light shined because he was surrounded by some mediorce talent.

The table doesnt lie nor does our horrible GD from the last few years.

[quote user="Herb"]A lot of people were bemused when Worthy signed Dublin last season, and thats being polite. I admit to being slightly sceptical myself initially, but when I looked at the fact he''d arranged training with his old mates at Leicester after being released by Celtic, just to keep himself up to scratch, it said a lot about his desire to keep going.
He''s always been a 110% sort of player. Remember watching him in his Coventry and Villa days and always rated him. Never gave up, always in there where it might hurt, willing to bleed for the cause if needed.
"Worth a punt, Worthy" I thought.

So I watched his first appearace with trepidation. I really wanted him to succeed, didn''t want a player I rated to end his career looking second rate and out of his depth. And by god did he answer the critics. Whether he was starting (usually as a "makeshift" defender) or coming on as sub, he always delivered the goods. With the threadbare squad and injuries last season, Dublin ended starting a lot more games than I expected, too lazy to seek the stats out, but I''d guess about 10 home games.

Now here''s the thing...it was never him looking like a 38 year old as the final whistle neared. A few of his teammates looked all that and then some.
At Tamworth I remember him looking a bit gutted being subbed about 15 minutes from time - he was on a hattrick! Says a lot, he didn''t just come here for a handy little pay day at the end of his career, he came to do what he''s done since he started playing. Play to the best of his ability, displaying a desire to win to the people that pay his wages.

I suppose my point is, he didn''t look 9 months older by the end of the season (although I''m sure he felt it!) and if we don''t sign another target man to play with Hucks/Earnie I know who''d be amongst the first names on my teamsheet next season, fitness allowing.
He never really got the chance to forge a decent partnership up front, cos he was standing in for Doherty so much, but his aerial presence alone tells me it''d only be a matter of time before someone was enjoying the fruits of his labour.
Dublin for captain!

[/quote]

I hold my hand up Herb, I was more than slightly sceptical on his arrival, due to his age more than anything...I  was to be proved wrong.  I would love for him to be made captain, but I think as it''s been pointed out on other threads, if he''s not playing in every game this is an appointment not likely to be made.  I like you would have liked to see him upfront more, but in defence he saved us in more than one match on his own.....Shackell will learn a lot more from him in the coming season.

[quote user="gissing canary"]

I would be interested where people think dublin will play next season, baring in mind we need 4 centre backs, and 4-5 strikers.   he seems to want to play up front but with 1brown, 2martin, 3earnie (or his replacement), 4 jarvis, 5hucks, where does he fit in?

[/quote]

4 centre backs and 4-5 strikers?? We don''t really need another 4 centre backs, 2 at the most, definitely not 4! And we only really need one other striker (two if Earnie goes), not 4-5, where on earth did you get that idea from??

[quote user="USAcanary"]

I feel his light shined because he was surrounded by some mediorce talent.

[/quote]Theres always that argument, but in simple terms of headers won, percentage wise he was up there with the best. His positional instinct was superb. Maybe the call for captain was a little tongue in cheek, but the fact is when he''s on the pitch he assumes that role, and it would take a hell of a big character to change that.You''re right though, last season was generally pretty grim, but I don''t think lack of talent was the biggest problem, rather lack of desire, confidence and belief. I lost count of the amount of games where I concluded that if I was running the club only Dublin, Hucks and sometimes the goalie would have recieved their wages that week.

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"][quote user="gissing canary"]

[/quote]

4 centre backs and 4-5 strikers?? We don''t really need another 4 centre backs, 2 at the most, definitely not 4! And we only really need one other striker (two if Earnie goes), not 4-5, where on earth did you get that idea from??

[/quote]

I think he is referring to how many we need in the squad as apposed to additions i.e our squad needs 4 centre half ( we have 2 in Doc & Shackell plus DD & Spillane in emergency).

[quote user="USAcanary"]

our horrible GD

[/quote]

By this do you mean goal difference or gary docherty [;)]

Dublin would be a great ''club captain'' but i am not sure about team captain simply because he may not be afforded adequate pitch time. To be fair i cant really think of a better alternative though :(

The problem with him being club captain is that he isn''t here all week, he''s training with Villa during the week so that he can see his family.

Dublin could indeed be club captain... team captain, IMO, should be a player who can pickt he team up when it''s down and deliver a moment of magic to turn the game so to sum things up i''d like us to have a combo of Dublin (Club) and Huckerby (when Dublin doesn''t play) as captains