Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Huckerby for England

[quote user="sheded"]

Don`t go too heavy on the coffee , gives you the jitters LOL .

Frankly , I do think Hucks has had a raw deal  !   he`s had keegan and strachan  as managers  FFS !   and I see no point in  chasing  up on this thread  now  , basically , its pi**ing against the wind  !    having said that , Hucks played in the prem  for Coventry  for several seasons  , and was one of their top scorers !  how does  THAT  tally with  YOUR   comment that he`s not of prem quality  ?  gimme strength .......

[/quote]

The same keegan who built a near premiership championship team? The same strachan who has won cups and leagues at celtic and took the mighty saints to an F.a cup final? Hucks did not play for coventry for several years he was there less than 2 years before joining leeds. There is no chance that huckerby should or would play for england, its niave to think so. He is our best player by far and stands out in a team that struggles in the championship. The only club to show interest was celtic and maybe if he was younger he would have gone. Hes good for us but no way for england. Enjoy him while hes here but dont get over excited for christ sake. The standard of the prem has improved since his stint at coventry and in my opinion he only showed the odd glimpse in a terrible team when we were in the big league. Hucks is not for England or England b. Sorry but thats my opinion.

Hucks for england? NO chance!

Like Wayne Gardner says " big fish in little pond".

Dont get carried away mate. Good player, but would be out of his depth.

Also dont think he was at coventry for "several seasons". Maybe someone could confirm this?

3 seasons at coventry not several.

96/97 25 games-5 goals

97/98 34 games-14 goals

98/99 34 games-9 goals

moved to leeds

3 goals in 46 games for leeds -big club at the time

moved to man city

championship- 40 games 20 goals

premiership-16 games 1 goal

premiership for norwich-37 games 6 goals

Sticks his head down and runs at defenders his pace his scarey, his crossing is average, his dribbling is decent at this level but past it at premiership level.

Played as striker at coventry and striker & sometimes winger for leeds

Amazing what you find out on the internet.

[quote user="sheded"]

[quote user="Gingembre"]OMG - you''re not seriosly comparing Hucks to Becks are you?
For a start, DB chases back, can take a mean free-kick, whip in a good cross, control a game.......bored now ZZZzzzzzzzzz

[/quote]

Are you commenting on my post ?  if so , you should try to comprehend  what I wrote , dozy arse !   I merely mentioned Beckhams age  compared to Hucks  , NOT  that he`s a replacement   for Becks .....  can  you actually grasp that ?    and , yes , I actually believe Hucks can do the business for England , apparently you , and other  posters   , STILL can`t  understand   that   WITHOUT  him  , this club would be  playing Forest next season !    for the last 3 seasons he`s had to  put up with  a ragbag of misfits and losers  as team mates ,   do you REALLY need to be reminded   that if Beckham  was put in the same situation  , he would get  bleedin  NOWHERE   ! 

Hucks has been nominated as player of the year  !   now how come he got that  award  ?   some nitwit  whinged  that he was " inconsistant "   , I got news for YOU !   its most of his team mates  who displayed  THAT  trait   ..... !!  

God help you if he gets injured next season ....  [:''(]

[/quote]

Robert Green{ vs coluimbia }Dave Nugent{preston} and Andy Johnson {while at palace}, possible others who played at this level have played for England. If your good enough you play, if Hucks was good enough for england im sure more clubs than Celtic like another guy says would have come in for him and even the press {yes the evil press} would have brought the issue up.

Ill say it again. Big fish little pond.

sheded

I have agreed with many things you have said, but I cannot and will not ever agree that Hucks should play for England.
I wasn''t aware that Cov went 14 games unbeaten, but I am grea friends with a director of the sky blues who is a Hucks fan.
He says that they were poor then (and even worse now) and that Hucks was a good player in a poor team - sound familiar?
Look where they ended up?

I would like to have seen anyone solve the ''problem left side'' for England, be it Hucks, or anyone.
Personally I think Hucks has wasted his talent and could''ve been a real top class premiership player had he really wanted to... I don''t know that for real as only he can answer that.
Thanks for the debate, I just wish you could''ve been more open to other people''s thoughts and views.

Come on you yellows

I was in barclay, west i think.

Second half, ashley young beat the Right back EVERY time..

Looks a very descent future prospect for england (y)

[quote user="Gingembre"]sheded

I have agreed with many things you have said, but I cannot and will not ever agree that Hucks should play for England.
I wasn''t aware that Cov went 14 games unbeaten, but I am grea friends with a director of the sky blues who is a Hucks fan.
He says that they were poor then (and even worse now) and that Hucks was a good player in a poor team - sound familiar?

I would like to have seen anyone solve the ''problem left side'' for England, be it Hucks, or anyone.
Personally I think Hucks has wasted his talent and could''ve been a real top class premiership player had he really wanted to... I don''t know that for real as only he can answer that.
Thanks for the debate, I just wish you could''ve been more open to other people''s thoughts and views.

Come on you yellows

[/quote]

Well , in the season Cov went on a 14 match  unbeaten run  , they also reached  the semi finals of the FA cup  , so , at that time they had to have been a pretty good team !   it all started to go tits up when strachan started selling  his best players  ( inc Hucks  ) .

On the subject  of being a good player in a poor team ........     just  how can a good player  play well , when the rest of the team are crap ?    this is what sticks in my craw  when Hucks is dubbed " inconsistant "   by some on this board !    how good would the likes of Becks  or  Rooney et al  be if they were  in the team we`ve had for the last 3 seasons ?

I , too , think that Hucks  talent has been wasted !   I don`t really believe  that  HE  wasted his talent  , so much as that   the " establishment   , and the managers , couldn`t get to grips with Hucks style and ability  !    having said that ,  Hucks has never really been   a big head  , and has tended to be far too content with his lot  ( luckily for Norwich ! )   , guess  he`s  not done too badly here , and maybe  he`s chosen  whats good for him and his family  ......

I`m not at all closed minded to others opinions !     as long as they   agree with me ( only a joke )   ,  but I do tend   toward  being , shall I say ,  slightly   emphatic ,  LOL     , I blame Wiz  .... he`s a bad influence   [:P]

On a positive note  , next season  is Hucks last   , and if Grant gets a grip , and forms a half decent team  ,  I think we`ll be near the top   early next year !    and I`ve put a score on us  getting promoted  with Betfair  .....    [:$]

.... England don''t have a player with flair?? do none of you watch Joe Cole, he is, IMHO, Englands best player (and definatly was at the world cup)... that said Huckerby is the only player that could bring that kind of flair to England, however i wouldn''t put him there ahead of Joe Cole.

[quote user="sheded"]

[quote user="Gingembre"]sheded

Come on you yellows

[/quote]

Well , in the season Cov went on a 14 match  unbeaten run  , they also reached  the semi finals of the FA cup  , so , at that time they had to have been a pretty good team !   it all started to go tits up when strachan started selling  his best players  ( inc Hucks  ) .

On the subject  of being a good player in a poor team ........     just  how can a good player  play well , when the rest of the team are crap ?    this is what sticks in my craw  when Hucks is dubbed " inconsistant "   by some on this board !    how good would the likes of Becks  or  Rooney et al  be if they were  in the team we`ve had for the last 3 seasons ?

I , too , think that Hucks  talent has been wasted !   I don`t really believe  that  HE  wasted his talent  , so much as that   the " establishment   , and the managers , couldn`t get to grips with Hucks style and ability  !    having said that ,  Hucks has never really been   a big head  , and has tended to be far too content with his lot  ( luckily for Norwich ! )   , guess  he`s  not done too badly here , and maybe  he`s chosen  whats good for him and his family  ......

I`m not at all closed minded to others opinions !     as long as they   agree with me ( only a joke )   ,  but I do tend   toward  being , shall I say ,  slightly   emphatic ,  LOL     , I blame Wiz  .... he`s a bad influence   [:P]

On a positive note  , next season  is Hucks last   , and if Grant gets a grip , and forms a half decent team  ,  I think we`ll be near the top   early next year !    and I`ve put a score on us  getting promoted  with Betfair  .....    [:$]

[/quote]

Just browsed the net and coventry have NOT reached a fa cup semi final since 1987.

Just browsed the net and coventry have NOT reached a fa cup semi final since 1987   Wane  Gardner 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops ! meant the quarter finals .....[:$]

[quote user="Lambo"].... England don''t have a player with flair?? do none of you watch Joe Cole, he is, IMHO, Englands best player (and definatly was at the world cup)... that said Huckerby is the only player that could bring that kind of flair to England, however i wouldn''t put him there ahead of Joe Cole.[/quote]

This is a very good point, but where do England play their flair player Joe Cole? Stuck out on the left because they haven''t got the balls to trust the most creative player in our team.

I think this is probably part of the point Sheded is trying to make, Hucks would never have played for England because successive managers have had a deep mistrust of flair players.

Unfortunately that attitude filters all the way down to the way our youngsters are coached and any creative flair gets knocked out of our kids at an early age so they all become identikit Premiership players. Able to run all day but unable to trap a bag of cement, brawn more important than brains. It''s a sad state of affairs and until somebody has the balls to change it we''ll keep getting crap performances from England.

In other countries such as Italy and Spain, if a player has flare and creativity, they give him a free role across the park and bring in a disciplined player to cover the space.

In England, they shove him on the wing in a 4-4-2 formation with commands to "defend when without ball". Doesn''t surprise me Le Tissier stayed all those years at Southampton, he knew that by moving to a bigger club, he''d be forced into a position and restricted, that''s why he rarely got a game for England!