Sign in to follow this  
Blainsey

How this forum used to be....

I remember back in the good old days this used to be a nicer place to visit. Threads were informative, interesting and intelligent debate took place.

Now it seems that it has been de-based to bitching, stupid rumours, cliques and in-fighting, and generally by those posters who registered in ''06 or later.

Shame.....

Smudger, wiz etc are all becoming too much to bother with.

I understand, and in some cases agree with what they''re saying. but they take quotes from the turners wanting premiership football and turn it into something negative. Some of their points dont have any, well, point to them.

I don''t bother posting too much now, too many idiot''s i''m afraid. And that''s not just the negative clan, it works both ways at the moment [:(]

I don''t think this is all that surprising or unusual really, shame though it is. The fact is, shortly after this board started, the 2003/04 season had begun and begun somewhat indifferently if truth be told. The knives were starting to come out for Worthy back then but then came the signing of a certain clutch of loanees and there then followed a season of thrilling attacking football where we swept all comers before us on the way to the league title. What was to argue about? Everyone was happy, the green and yellow army ruled and the world was a beautiful place.Then we got promoted, took two months to win a game and spend most of the seaon in the bottom 3 and the infighting began. And it has never really ended has it?

I second that Blainsey.  I have had a long spell away and miss a lot of the old faces and am just about getting used to some of the new ones.  Whatever anyone''s viewpoint, they would make it better without personal digs at other posters or the "flavour of the month" player, board member or whoever is getting stick at any given time.  Virtual playground bullying, it seems like it sometimes.

Cliques are bond to happen I guess, it''s the same on some other boards, and like you I always value this board above the others for somewhere to debate our club in hopefully civil terms, not resorting to bitching, personal remarks.....but constructively making points for and against another poster''s opinions without resorting to calling them a binner/Delia lover/head in the sand/too PC or whatever.

I don''t know if it''s more prevelant in the newer posters as you describe, as I haven''t got around to reading all their posts yet.  I guess we lose people as they move on in life, and no one can have perfection, even on the internet!

To be fair its mainly the older users who insult me, call me a binner, accuse me of saying Delia is fiddling the club and constantly put words in my mouth and peoples heads that simpley were not there in the 1st place. Why should i be penalised for joining recently? I dare say ive been folllowing city longer than a lot of posters but does that make me a bigger fan? NO! We are all fans and in our own way want whats best for the club. Some agree with me, some dont, but some of the lies and bull that ive been accused of is riddiculous!

[quote user="Blainsey"]

I remember back in the good old days this used to be a nicer place to visit. Threads were informative, interesting and intelligent debate took place.

Now it seems that it has been de-based to bitching, stupid rumours, cliques and in-fighting, and generally by those posters who registered in ''06 or later.

Shame.....

[/quote]

See thread by Stephen Frys evil twin- FAO Smudger, to see what i mean about the older users being the instigaters of arguments, insults, and P#ss taking. Perfect example.

What a refreshing post this is. Highly informative and certain to spark some interesting and intelligent debate. [:P]

This kind of reminds me about the poster who told me I was "everything that was wrong with this forum" when I first posted on here. It seems to me there are good posters registering on here all the time and there are as many planks from 2003 as there are from 2007.

I like this forum, in the main posters are respectful to others of different views. The cliques and infighting are the making of a few mischief makers who believe that posters have to be Worthy out / KTF or Realists / Apologists. Actually most posters have their own bit of ground somewhere between the two extremes.

I know my current user ID is new as I now post from home (instead of at work). But, I''ve been posting  for 4 years or so under different names & I have to say there''s always been cliques with the high quantity posters on this board. It was obvious to me from day 1 that unless you were part of the in crowd your posts were not replied to.

The artist formally known as Bruce''s Header ,

It might help you if you don''t keep changing your name then as people have a better chance of getting to know you.

CA

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

What a refreshing post this is. Highly informative and certain to spark some interesting and intelligent debate. [:P]

This kind of reminds me about the poster who told me I was "everything that was wrong with this forum" when I first posted on here. It seems to me there are good posters registering on here all the time and there are as many planks from 2003 as there are from 2007.

I like this forum, in the main posters are respectful to others of different views. The cliques and infighting are the making of a few mischief makers who believe that posters have to be Worthy out / KTF or Realists / Apologists. Actually most posters have their own bit of ground somewhere between the two extremes.

[/quote]

Exzcellent post Nigel.

Some of my comments are made out of anger after being insulted and ive found by looking at the username it does not matter when you joined you will always find the idiots. Im probably responsible for some irrelevant posts of anger but its normally come as a spur of the moment reaction to something that someone accuses me of, i then feel i have to defend myself, its instinct.

I havent got a personal problem with anyone new or old.

It seems to me that the rudest and most childest posters are the generally oldest in terms of age. They are the main ones with the binner reference''s, insults and knee jerk responses. How often is the right to be rude been justified by the "I''ve supported City for 40 years" as though that means they are always right. I am all for debate and disagreement as this board would be very dull without it but why some people feel the need to bring in personl attacks is beyond me - I hope that when I post I generally make constructive points and I can''t recall ever resorting to abuse.

Before I get accused of ageism, I am in my 30''s and attended my first match in 1981....

I also hate the way that some posters can never post anything positive in connection with this club and will turn everything into a negative i.e Turners joining the board, £2.5 million bids for promising strikers. Sadly, what posters such as Smudger & Wiz don''t seem to realise is that because they post negatively about every little thing it detracts from some of the very relevant points that they make regarding the activities of the board and some of the mistakes they have made. As it is when people see any comments from them appear they are dismissed as same old Smudger, Cluck, Wiz etc and that is a shame. It is largely their own fault but still a shame.

True, CityAngel, I don''t think anyone got to know me properly until after I stopped changing names - doubt anyone really remembers much about a poster called Death of Canaries?? Twas me, funnily enough I changed it from the first incarnation of Evil Monkey to Death of Canaries after re-joining the board after spending some time away due to the constant negativity and back-biting! Nothing really changes, eh... [;)]Where are the posters like Canary02, Jamie Wright, DumbleDelia Is Magic??? Just some of the MANY quality posters MIA at the moment...

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Blainsey"]

Shame.....

[/quote]

See thread by Stephen Frys evil twin- FAO Smudger, to see what i mean about the older users being the instigaters of arguments, insults, and P#ss taking. Perfect example.

[/quote]

I don''t have to even bother taking a look ARTHUR... 

I have seen this first hand on many occasions... and so have many others on here... Cluck, SOB, Mello, Wiz, Ricky Knight, Charlies Dad, Alex_NCFC and many others would back up this point of view.

This whole thread yet again illustrates that there are many on this forum who are like a little baby who has had their candy snatched from them while laying silently in their pram...

It is just sour grapes that they can no longer patrol these boards and pack upon the first person that shows any dissent to their ranks and has an alternative view.

They just can''t cope with the fact that since last season begun there have been more and more people each month who are prepared to say how disgusted they are with events at Carrow Road... people who will not bow down to their pressure and will hold their own view despite all the sniping.

Stcik to your guns mate... you may have many snipers... but you will have nearly as many people who will watch your back no matter what and will give you great support for what you are trying to achieve.

Have left you a private message mate... please get in touch.... so that this whole protest thing is ready to roll when the time is right!!!!

I think what stops me enjoying this Board as I used to is two things.   One is the tone which is too abusive.  A poster warned us that the Turners were coming on board (sorry friend but I can''t remember who now!!) and unleashed a torrent of "Whatever you t**t" type posts that wouild have disgraced the Jeremy Kyle show.  That led me to protest and some to their credit took the point and apologised.  All too often, there is rudeness and intolorance here which is unecessary and unworthy.  And he was right so who were the fools in the end??!!??

The result is a pack mentality; the loss of many interesting posters either permanently or others like Zipper rarely come on here.  Others who were thoughtful such as Cluck and most regrettably of all Wiz, have folllowed the trend and start with abuse rather than the measured arguments that they used to use.

What is wrong with respect?  I think Arthur Whittle and Smudger are so wrong about the club and the Board but I respect their right to their view and to post their views whereever and when ever they wish.  I respect Cluck''s and Smudger''s views but not their abuse of those who disagree as sheep.   I have managed to conduct myself on this Board for two plus years whilst only abusing one person (but then, Dicky alwys did get up my nose and he has now gone from here) and I regret that.   I''m not saying that we should all live in Telletubby land and always play nicely.  This is a passionate board about passionate issues.  But please respect the poster however much you disagree.

There is not a lot wrong here that respect and a huge dose of humility will not cure.  We are all wrong sometimes!!

That and happiness.  The other thing that gets me down and has made me consider stopping using this board is the sheer misery.  What a depressing lot some of you are.  As soon as rumours appear the negativity is boundless.   Nothing will ever work; all is disaster!   Every signing target is a useless waste of cash, every target is either a distraction for the fans or shows a lack of ambition.  Bill Gates could give his entire fortune to this club andf some of you would not be satisfied.  What is wrong?  I know we''ve had bad times but it is abundantly clear that we are moving forward in small incremental steps and that changes are afoot.  Is it that you don''t want to admit you''ve been wrong.  Are you only happy being miserable.

I''m not talking about realism which is necessary.  We are a lower Championship side with a poor team who are in the doldrums.  It is not good enough and must improve.  But realism and sceptism are healthy.  Depressive negativity is not.  It truly is hard to see why some posters stya with the club.   It obviously makes you very unhappy but worse, seems incapable of ever making you happy.

Chill.

I''m going to carry on enjoying debate here and supporting this club on its way back.   I will respect and listen to you all and expect the same in return.  Anyone want to join me?

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

It seems to me that the rudest and most childest posters are the generally oldest in terms of age. They are the main ones with the binner reference''s, insults and knee jerk responses. How often is the right to be rude been justified by the "I''ve supported City for 40 years" as though that means they are always right. I am all for debate and disagreement as this board would be very dull without it but why some people feel the need to bring in personl attacks is beyond me - I hope that when I post I generally make constructive points and I can''t recall ever resorting to abuse.

Before I get accused of ageism, I am in my 30''s and attended my first match in 1981....

I also hate the way that some posters can never post anything positive in connection with this club and will turn everything into a negative i.e Turners joining the board, £2.5 million bids for promising strikers. Sadly, what posters such as Smudger & Wiz don''t seem to realise is that because they post negatively about every little thing it detracts from some of the very relevant points that they make regarding the activities of the board and some of the mistakes they have made. As it is when people see any comments from them appear they are dismissed as same old Smudger, Cluck, Wiz etc and that is a shame. It is largely their own fault but still a shame.

[/quote]

Makes no odds to me really STEVIE...

I have no personal odds with anybody on here either...

One or two people have got me wrattled now and again... but I would buy the majority of people on here a pint if I bumpeed in to them in the street (doesn''t mean I would agree with them on how NCFC is being ran though).

As for what other posters think myself and Cluck long stated that we don''t really give a monkeys about those who appear to be blind to the issues at the club that we have tried to raise awareness of... 

Even though the club is not making mugs of us anymore though it is still continuing to make mugs of many, many fans who deserve so much better and it is for this reason why certain things that they do still angers us so much.  If after reading all the info that is accessible to posters on here somebody chooses to back this board of directors then they deserve everything that they get in my opinion (it is tsill very sad to see many, many fans being laughed at by those in the boardroom though).

Always remember that it is not easy to feel the way that people like myself and Cluck feel about their football club... it is not easy to walk away from something that you love (after many years of support) for an unknown length of time.

I have not seen the team that I have follwed for the last 25 years play for what will be at least 2 years by the time any real demo''s against this inept board of directors takes place...

I defy anybody who may try to claim that it was an easy thing for me to choose to walk away and can''t wait for the day that Delia walks and I feel that I can have my football club back.

It may be an extremist view... but the sad thing is that I am not the only one who feels this way... I would estimate that at least a hundred fans have withdrawn their support in this way by now and that is a very sad state of affairs indeed!!!

I gonna give a big hint on how to stop boring repetitive posts appearing or at least reduce them, ignore them and don''t repsond.

With all due respect to the original post, it''s the internet equivalent of sucking ona straw and saying "It were all fields round here when I were a lad".

Well I''ve been posting here since about 2000 when the forum used to be green, and back then I spent most of my time venting my spleen at the Hamilton era when we were truely awful! But I also had a change in i.d, and I''ve never been the most prolific poster, hence my low profile (does anyone actually remember me?!), although I read the forum daily!

I don''t think the forum has changed a great deal. Usual dissenters, reactionaries, optimists with some genuinely interesting threads. I just think if anything the growth in negativity is just a reflection of poor displays on the pitch, coupled with spin from the club. There''s nothing worse than someone trying to put a positive spin on a dreadful performance. This happened constantly when Hamilton and it didn''t help anyone. And it''s been happening since we got relegated - and it causes people to get frustrated. If instead of spinning things, the players and management just got their heads down then we could forgive them a bit for below par performances every now and again.

Also there has been a bad feeling because of the lost opportunity. A poor approach after our success in 2004 has upset many people, and they''re looking for scapegoats (the board), and the fact no heads have rolled at board level hasn''t helped.

Still, I''m sure with a about 5 signings this summer, maybe 1 big name signing, and everyone will be optimistic come August, and betting on us to go up. Lets just hope we get a good start, otherwise the pessimists will be out in force come the start of September!

Thanks for your kind words of support guys. Perhaps I made an inappropriate comment about it being new posters who cause the mischief as i am fully aware that there are many new posters who do offer informative and interersting debate.

I do miss some users in particular DumbleDelia is Magic, but truth be told if i see threads by certain posters on certain topics i often wont bother going in as it is usually negative-whiny or the same old thing being said over and over and over again.

I think it is very fair to say that when this forum started we were riding the crest of a wave and there was less bitching. However, in regards to today''s issues, I understand that many didn''t like Worthy, don''t like Delia, think Grant is the wrong man for the job....but how many times must I have to read it? i am sure that if i posted on here how much i liked Grant day after day after day it would irritate people, so please spare a thought for how the rest of us feel.

Sorry for the negativity of this thread but very rarely do I find posts that havent been hi-jacked by people wishing to force their own agenda onto the rest of us.

Still view, but rarely post Mate. Haven''t got the time since I changed jobs to get involved as regularly. However, the pc view that we must always tolerate others views no matter how hyperbolic, depressing or wallowing in their own crapulance has annoyed me and I can''t be bothered. I start reading the threads and some draw me in, but increasingly I read the first few posts and then an extremist comes on, and a moderate shouts them down, then another extremist says that you can''t do that because everyones opinions should be respected, etc etc which is rubbish. Why should we have to sit and read drivel and respond like the other person isn''t a tedious wind-up merchant? Why should every decent post get taken over by a few people who have the time to respond every two minutes with convoluted conspiracy theories?

Wiz loves a wind-up but I do respect the fact that he starts his own posts, so you can respond if you want or ignore if you want. What he doesn''t do is take over others posts. I don''t agree with a lot of what he says, but he does have courtesy with other peoples threads, and when he does comment, at least he debates over a wide-range of topics concerning the club and football in general. Cluck however used to drive me nuts by jumping onto each and every post and banging on about Delia Smith constantly, which did nothing but encourage others to respond to his usually radical ramblings and turn every thread into a Delia debate. It just got sad and boring. However, when I expressed this view, I inevitably got told "You can''t say that, everyone''s allowed their opinion, do you only respect opinions that coincide with your own etc etc".

I miss some of the decent debates with the likes of yourself EM, MBNCFC, McDougalls Perm, Jamie Wright, CityAngel, Dumbledelia is Magic and Sons of Bodecia, not all of whom I always agreed with, but all of whom at least explained their opinions and backed them up with facts. However, not enough has changed for me to bother coming back more regularly.

I don''t want to sit here and spend ages debating with people I am never going to agree with. If I go down the pub, I sit with my mates and chat, I don''t go and sit with the pub bore and spend all night trying to bring him round to my way of thinking because we''ve obviously got nothing in common so why waste time and energy? Once I''ve established that I don''t like another persons views there''s no reason I should have to subject myself to their constant interjections. If you were sitting in the pub with fifteen other people around a table and found that one person was irritating in the extreme, do you keep conversing with the irritant, or do you ignore them and talk to the bloke next to you who you find pleasant company? If the irritant keeps following you and interrupting your conversation with their own single viewpoint or topic of conversation, the first few times you might humour them and politely try to track back to the conversation you were originally having. However, eventually you have to say "hang on, you''re just being rude, please don''t do that". The culture on here seems to be that no matter what, you have to tolerate this rudeness and never say if somethings wrong, or else be accused of bullying or whatever the media buzzword of the day is.

It''s a shame because there have been some great debates on here at times, and some that have made me question my own opinions because of well-argued points by others with a differing viewpoint. My only stipulation is that to do this the viewpoint has to at least have been rooted in reality and not some fantasy conspiracy dreampt up by someone desperately seeking some kind of attention.

I''ve largely given up. Too much hysterical reaction on an uninfomed basis chasing around small titbits or rumours and using it/them for a hidden agenda. Too much trolling and too many multiple threads allowed which makes it difficult to link together all the debate on one subject. The mods need to be stronger and more ruthless, kepping threads on topic and cutting out the rubbish when it becomes inflammatory name calling and petulence without making a reasoned point.

New posters are good, old posters are good as you do get to know them (well some anyway) and I don''t agree there''s an age thing. Its the attitude that posters bring which is important. Whether they love or hate Delia, think PG is a good manager or the worst since, well the last one, or even whether they think carrow road and portman road should be combined into one stadium in Diss doesn''t matter. Its how they put their point across and debate the issue which counts for me. Those nuggets of debate can too often get caught up in a deluge of dross.

[quote user="UEA Canary"]I gonna give a big hint on how to stop boring repetitive posts appearing or at least reduce them, ignore them and don''t repsond.
[/quote]

I will 2nd that. As hard as it is to bite your tongue, lets just do it. Personally i tend to skip past certain posters input now as it just brings me down. Its the same repetitive stuff, nag nag nag......

My tongue is now bitten....

[quote user="UEA Canary"]I gonna give a big hint on how to stop boring repetitive posts appearing or at least reduce them, ignore them and don''t repsond.
[/quote]

I will 2nd that. As hard as it is to bite your tongue, lets just do it. Personally i tend to skip past certain posters input now as it just brings me down. Its the same repetitive stuff, nag nag nag......

My tongue is now bitten....

Fair enough Smudger but the replies to this thread would indicate that certain posters are ignored and therefore any relevant points that they are raising are not reaching the widest possible audience. Surely this is something that you would want? It is no good "preaching to the converted". You make some very valid points regarding the board and some of their decisions over the last 3 years, sadly this won''t be read by the majority who just think you are a moaning old so and so.

All I would like to see is that every thread isn''t turned into a doom and gloom conspiracy theory. Surely there most be something happening at the club that is positive?

So what if the signing of Sharp or whoever is funded by the sale of Earnie - at least we are looking at a decent possible replacement. I would be far more concerned if we had bid for Cureton as a potential replacement as this would almost certainly indicate that most of the "Earnie" money was servicing debts etc. Sadly, we have had to accept the sale of our best players for 25 years and in very few cases have we spent anything like the same amount for the replacement player - Fashanu to Bertschin, Fleck to Robins, Fox to Adams, Sutton to Sheron, Linighan to Polston, Ashton to Earnshaw. It is a fact of life I''m afraid.

[/quote]

Goodbye then.