Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

My problems with the board-part 1

[quote user="Millo"]

Good point Mr whittle.

What is proof of wrongdoings?

This suggests you have made libalous comments and i dont recall any such thing, accusing the board of something illegal.

Its clear for all to see that our board have failed us, thats proof of wrongdoings.

please clear this up.

[/quote]

It is yet more putting of words in peoples mouths by the defenders of the board on here MILO...

an old trick of theirs that they still do not realise is clearly not working...

Don''t worry about it boys... trot on!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Millo"]

Good point Mr whittle.

What is proof of wrongdoings?

This suggests you have made libalous comments and i dont recall any such thing, accusing the board of something illegal.

Its clear for all to see that our board have failed us, thats proof of wrongdoings.

please clear this up.

[/quote]

You could be spot on mate.

Is it coincidence that everyone who can see the boards mistakes is either a ipswich fan, or making "wild accusations"?

I think not.

It is yet more putting of words in peoples mouths by the defenders of the board on here MILO...

an old trick of theirs that they still do not realise is clearly not working...

Don''t worry about it boys... trot on!!!

[/quote]

The fact you have to seperate your problems with the board into different sections/topics/parts proves you moan too much [:P]

hogesar

The fact you have left no constructive critisim of whittle says it all about your comments.

Proof of wrong doings in this case (I imagine) are not legal

misdemeanors, but cases and occasions on which the board has not acted

in the best intrests, or actions that could be percieved to be in the

best intrests of NCFC.

People will cite here:

1) Little old Norwich.

2) The Catering vs Bellamy Debate.

3) The New Stand.

4) The Hotel/Extra Seating Debate.

5) The Worthington Saga.

6) Insuficiant Investment.

7) Not buying Ashton early enough.

8) Insufficient Ambition

Most of these arguements have been done to death (imo) either ealier in

this thread of in others so I will not comment in detail on all of

them. Most of them we will never agree on.

My comments:

1) The little old norwich quote comes from match of the day early in

our preiership season. Delia was asked what it was like to be a little

club in the premiership. She replied we want to be the biggest little

club in the country. This is ambitious since there are certainly not

enough big clubs (in the motd sense) to fill the premiership - Just

being behind ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle,

Everton, Man City, Boro'' and Villa would suit me fine. - 11th in the

prem its a good start.

2) while this is being brought up again now it should be pointed out

that since this event we have been promoted - yes we came back down

again - but we improved after it.  Also he wanted out and we

couldn''t have kept him.

3) This was neccesary, so it would have had to have been done by any board.

4) If the arguements about needing vehicular access to the pitch which

I have seeen mbncfc put forward are true, together with the segregation

laws, then this may be finacially in the best intrests of the club -

counterintuitive though it may be.

5) This was a mistake they should have sacked him earlier, 

however I don''t know when before then the should have sacked him.

6) I''m not sure about this one, is it insufficient or mearly unwise, ie buying the wrong players at the wrong times.

7) This was also a mistake, but I strongly doubt it was a malicious one.

8) I have never seen conclusive evidence of a lack of ambition - mearly

of that the ambitions of the posters are unforfilled.  Neither are

mine - I want us to win every match we play as well. The only evidence

that is sighted for this is 1), from which I get quite the opposite

impression.

In conclusion the board have made mistakes, they are after all human,

but I don''t believe them to be anything other than well intentioned

misjudgements, which are not a major problem - provided that the board

tries to learn from them.

Have to comment on Delias little old norwich bit.

I clearly remember her saying something along the lines of " we are just little old Norwich and happy to be here for the ride" on MOTD.

Millo - I''m sure it was about wanting to be the biggest little club rather than being along for the ride, it was at the begininig of the prem season.I can only remember seeing your version on here (Cluck, I think) as a way of deriding her. - I''ll accept your version if you can find proof of it however.

[quote]I clearly remember her saying something along the lines of " we are

just little old Norwich and happy to be here for the ride" on MOTD.[/quote]Ah, yes, I remember that interview, she went on to say how nice it was of the Premiership big boys to come and play at our place, and that we couldn''t normally get them for the pre-season friendlies and now they''re just turning up free of charge, which was awfully nice of them, because now our fans can take pictures of Theirry Henry when he takes corners instead of giving him a hard time and being really competitive like they do at Man Utd or Spurs.  And then she told the interviewer that she liked badgers, cute furry things, and the thing she liked most of all about badgers was smashing them over the head with a mallet.  Smash smash smash smash smash she said.  And then she took a sip from her hip-flask.I remember it as if it was today.  When I made it up.Just now in fact.I''m sure someone somewhere will have the patience to trawl the internet and find the transcript of the original interview, maybe they''ll even ask someone at the beeb to dig it up.  It''s bound to happen sooner or later, someone will put this urban myth (mythith ?  She is married you know) to bed.  Until this happens, my opinion on your opinion is that it is bull-dung.  And anyway, we''re talking about an interview conducted in 2003 ?  Do you genuinely believe that the content of a 4 year old interview carries that much weight in the boardroom ?

[quote user="Millo"]

I clearly remember her saying something along the lines of " we are just little old Norwich and happy to be here for the ride" on MOTD.

[/quote]

hoot, hoot.... am sure I heard those immortal words too MILLO

Where is the conclusive proof that Bellamy wanted out too 7rew???

Bellamy was just itching to go and ply his trade in that wonderful footballing arena known as Highfield Road wasn''t he????

Further I''m fairly sure that the quote was on MOTD2 on 15/08/06 (its first episode) but the matter appears to have been uncommented on on the forums at the time (I''ve check the posts after it for a month - currently pages 630-650.)  It may have been on Johnathon Ross''s show on xmas eve ''04 - but in the forum article concerning this it is not picked up on either:http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/376603/ShowPost.aspxMods - Is there any way of accessing Pink''un articles from the time?

I have no conclusive proof that Bellamy wanted out, but it is a central tennent of the Bellamy/Kitchen debate that we should have used the money to give him a pay rise rather than on the kitchens. If someone wants to stay, why would you have to bribe them?The important thing is that since he left we have been up - that decision didn''t stop that at all.  Don''t say if he''d have still been here we''d of stayed up - that was 3 years later we can''t tell what would have happened. I doubt he would have spent 3 more years in Division 1.btw congrats on your faulty memory and actually reading a comment in the centre of one of my replies - that must be a first!

[quote user="7rew"]I have no conclusive proof that Bellamy wanted out, but it is a central tennent of the Bellamy/Kitchen debate that we should have used the money to give him a pay rise rather than on the kitchens. If someone wants to stay, why would you have to bribe them?

The important thing is that since he left we have been up - that decision didn''t stop that at all.  Don''t say if he''d have still been here we''d of stayed up - that was 3 years later we can''t tell what would have happened. I doubt he would have spent 3 more years in Division 1.

btw congrats on your faulty memory and actually reading a comment in the centre of one of my replies - that must be a first!
[/quote]

I agree 7rew... Bellamy leaving had nothing to do with the fortunes of the club since he has left (other than the fact that he signed a new contract just prior to leaving so that we were able to get top dollar for him when he did choose to fly the nest).

If we were showing enough ambition at that time then I am sure that Bellamy would of stayed (he loves Norwich and see''s it as his second home outside of Wales)...

Like all quality footballers he wanted to play at the highest level and at that moment in time was beginning to wonder whether NCFC would actually ever play there again as he clearly felt that not enough money was being invested in the team (pretty similar to the Ashton/Green/Earnshaw scenarios)...

As Eanie recently stated "he is no different to anybody else and he wants to be playing in the Premiership" and you can''t really blame a player for that.... 

I am pretty sure that if we get an offer of about £5million for Earnie this summer and it is from a team either in the Premiership or from a team that Earnie considers as far more likely as getting there than ourselves then he will be off.

Who can we blame for this?  Only those who sit in the boardroom... for a club of our size we are investing no way near enough in to the playing side of things at Carrow Road!!!

As for my faulty memory... As the late great Cloughie said "don''t you worry it comes to us all young man"!!! 

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Millo"]

[/quote]

hoot, hoot.... am sure I heard those immortal words too MILLO

Where is the conclusive proof that Bellamy wanted out too 7rew???

Bellamy was just itching to go and ply his trade in that wonderful footballing arena known as Highfield Road wasn''t he????

[/quote]

Thank you smudger.

Im sure the comment was made well into the season, not the 1st day as some have said.

How exactly would you like me to prove it? Go through my match of the day footage from that season because we all know i tape it every night??????????????????

See how things get twisted on here?

I said " I THINK ". But yes she did say something like that and my mate remembers it aswell, but now ill have some feeble attempt to make people laugh thrown back at me through the highly amusing form of sarcaism. Something along the predictable lines of "if your mate says it, it must be true". Perhaps i can do the same and say "if you say it isnt true then it cant be" or "if theres not a pinkun thread it cant be true".

Yup, predictable.

Thats fine though, ive noticed people would rather be smug and make lame attempts at humour than have a constructive debate on here anyway.

[quote user="7rew"]Millo - I''m sure it was about wanting to be the biggest little club rather than being along for the ride, it was at the begininig of the prem season.

I can only remember seeing your version on here (Cluck, I think) as a way of deriding her. - I''ll accept your version if you can find proof of it however.

[/quote]

Sorry but i know your all going to say the anti delia''s are all in it together but i can clearly remember her comments on MOTD cos i spat my bloody beer out when she said it! I have used her silly sterotype of Norwich numerous times on this site as an arguement in how i feel she really percieves us and our club and it still riles me to think she had the cheek to say it. I can honestly say that, and as much as i hate to say it, Millo''s comments are right.

[quote user="7rew"]Millo - I''m sure it was about wanting to be the biggest little club rather than being along for the ride, it was at the begininig of the prem season.

I can only remember seeing your version on here (Cluck, I think) as a way of deriding her. - I''ll accept your version if you can find proof of it however.

[/quote]

I''m sure I recall the "little old Norwich" comment after we turned over Man Utd in the prem season. To be honest I can''t remember the exact phrase used or the context in which it was used.

Sorry I didnt make it saturday Arthur, hope it went well.

I remember that interview and believe it was after either a decent draw or win when we were a few points adrift and MILLO is more or less right in his version.

Why dont people prove MILLO wrong? Why is always the ones not happy with the board having to provide proof  like some murder trial yet we have to take the Delia fan clubs word as said?

Been reading this site since leaving another one. How do i get involved with your campaign Arthur? My uncle runs a popular printing firm so if you need any litreture i could get it on the cheap.

Not only can I not find the article - the pinkun story the next day does not mention that delia was even on the telly!http://new.pinkun.com/Strange. - check Imdb for the date she was on it.

Do we really believe him???

04 June 2007
Do not doubt our ambition

MARK ARMSTRONG

Norwich City chairman Roger Munby insists the club still has the ambition to get back in the top flight despite the loss of Premiership parachute payments.

Many fans had become worried that a lack of cash could mean the Canaries settle for being a Championship side in the future but Munby said that getting back in the Premiership will always be the top priority for the club.

“That will always be our aim,” he said. “Nothing will change that. You cannot put a timescale on it because, as we''ve seen this season, injuries and many other factors can have their say.

“But the Premier League is where we want to be and that has always got to be our ultimate goal.”

City boss Peter Grant appears to have funds to fulfil the club''s Premiership dream after bidding £2.5m for Scunthorpe striker Billy Sharp while he is also trying to bring back David Marshall to Carrow Road despite having a £500,000 offer rejected on Thursday.

The search for players has not been restricted to the borders of the UK however, with Duffy revealing earlier this month that the club is looking at the Polish leagues for potential talent to strengthen City''s squad.

Munby revealed how pleased he has been with the way the search for new players has been conducted by the coaching staff.

“I have been very impressed with how Bryan Gunn and Jim Duffy have helped Peter in the search. The plan was to broaden the transfer net and they have brought a diligence to the search and I''m sure we will be able to bring the right players in.”

The appointments of Andrew and Sharon Turner to the board and the investment of a £2m interest-free loan has given Grant more financial clout in the transfer market and Munby hailed the impact the pair have had since joining the Canaries in April.

“Their arrival adjusted the budget that Peter had to work to. As we said at the time, it meant we don''t have to sell players in the summer to balance the books.

“Notwithstanding that you can never guarantee a player will stay but we don''t have to sell.”

Munby said that it won''t be long before the Turners, who own Norwich-based firm Central Trust, look to exert their business prowess on the Canaries.

“They are doing the right things. It''s a process of looking at the business model already in place and then we will be able to take their business skills on board and use them to our advantage.”

Norwich City - latest stories

FOOTBALL MUSR COME FIRST

Dear Mr Whittle,

A few people have answered your points in some detail but you do not appear to have replied. You claim to want debate on this topic but appear unaware as to how such things work.

Either that or you''re an extremely rude man........or have looked at the other side of the argument and have become a fully paid up member of Delia''s baaaaaamy ovine cake making army?

she did make little old norwich comments and it was way into the season.

I think the "little Norwich" thing was pretty much a running theme throughout that season therefore cropped up several times in various contexts. I can clearly remember Delia saying at one point "We are a little club-we are little Norwich". I think that the context was Delia trying to downplay our chances against the big guns and play the underdog card to our advantage. I wasn`t too bothered at the time but events since have led me to the conclusion that this mentality is deeply ingrained at the club and is holding it back.

Ok - I do seem to have been wrong about the date - However I don''t

beleive that I was wrong about the content - she certaily said my

version at some point, but it may not be that same occaision and I

really can''t remember when.

I found the Man U quote:

“It was just amazing seeing van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo and Rooney running

towards you,” she said. “You thought ''Wow!'' – but little Norwich

stopped them. It was pretty good!"

http://new.pinkun.com/

I think this is a comment on the prevailing view of us that the media

had at the time - rather than her view on the club. This I feel is

backed up by her next statement:

“This is a good day for football. It''s good to see that sometimes the

teams without the money, without the clout, can come out on top. We got

two goals and a clean sheet against Manchester United – and that''s

bloody brilliant. Am I allowed to say that on television?”

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]I think the "little Norwich" thing was pretty much a running theme throughout that season therefore cropped up several times in various contexts. I can clearly remember Delia saying at one point "We are a little club-we are little Norwich". I think that the context was Delia trying to downplay our chances against the big guns and play the underdog card to our advantage. I wasn`t too bothered at the time but events since have led me to the conclusion that this mentality is deeply ingrained at the club and is holding it back.[/quote]

Yes, this "little old Norwich" thing annoys me as well-it was, at the time, almost like we were expecting immediate relegation when we went up; the attitude of Reading was obviously completely different & look how they succeeded!

Delia should perhaps leave the psycology to Wenger and co!

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Dear Mr Whittle,

A few people have answered your points in some detail but you do not appear to have replied. You claim to want debate on this topic but appear unaware as to how such things work.

Either that or you''re an extremely rude man........or have looked at the other side of the argument and have become a fully paid up member of Delia''s baaaaaamy ovine cake making army?

[/quote]

Im only on here today because im on holiday, does that make me rude? Maybe hes busy or you havent asked him your questions properly?

Roll on work.

some people?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="lappinitup"]

Arthur Whittle.

I think some very constructive views have been posted on this thread, and as I,ve said before, I am with most on here who have not been happy with the way things have evolved at carrow road over the last three years.

The problem I have is that as the self appointed leader of the BOARD OUT campaign, you are only expressing the same views of many posters on this board and not LEADING.

The title of this thread and the content of your first post on it is no different to many,many posters on here in other words, same ole, same ole, questions.

Arthur. Leaders of men don''t just ask questions they demand ANSWERS.

I asked you on another thread........

1. Detail all the grievences that you have with this board.

2. Provide proof of any wrongdoings.

3. Explain how you will remove this board.

4. Who you have in mind to replace them.

5. And how ?

So far Part 1 has just been about the grievences, (so far so good)

Part 2 is going to be interesting !!!!

p.s.  In my view, the scarfe and the GET THE BINNER OUT logo don''t go well with the image of the potential saviour of this club.

[/quote]

This is just a reply to some of your questions and not part 2 as some of your points have already been explained.

Question 1. I have answered most of my grieviences, and feel i would just be going over old ground.

Question 2. Please explain what you mean by wrongdoings? Is this meant as Illegal wrondoings? I feel if so i wont be drawn into a debate for legal reasons.

Question 3. Yet again i feel i have answered this question in previous threads and action will be taken WHEN the appropriate time arrises.

Question 4. Its not a case of having someone lined up to replace them. Its a case of opening more options, e.g. we currently are only prepared to let locals invest. By gaining attention to this matter its more than possible that investers from outside the county and maybe country would be aware we are seeking ambitious takeovers. As an ex\ample i remember recently that Delia using Derby as an example of where they had 5 investers invest 5m each and she said she was willing to follow this example but how is she going to do this through local investers only? How is this ever going to happen though yes the turners have come in but how many other locals ahve that much money, we need to open our options more.

Question 5. With active campaigning. Gain media attention, so people know we {the fans} are ambitious and want genuine football loving investers, e.g. Milan manderic, Eggert Magnusson etc.

Question 4.

[/quote]

Come on then, lets have part 2, im half convinced.

[quote user="Nigel Tracey"]

Been reading this site since leaving another one. How do i get involved with your campaign Arthur? My uncle runs a popular printing firm so if you need any litreture i could get it on the cheap.

[/quote]

Brilliant Nigel...

I have just set up my own business in the print world and would be willing to work with you organising any printed matter for any campaign in the coming season if I can help at all???  [Y][N]

Okay, now that the comment has been contextualised and, in the ongoing spirit of pedantry[;)], who can explain why we would not be considered a small (or little) club in comparison to Man Utd. In my opinion, it was a one off silly comment in that particular situation - did nobody else here get carried away by that and say anything that wasn''t exquisitely thought through? And, has anybody on here experienced the pressure of being interviewed for BBC primetime?  

It is fair to say that I have my concerns over the stewardship of Norwich City FC but I have to say I think this "little Norwich" thing has been overplayed somewhat and used as stick to beat Delia with. I have said before on this message board I believe some of the comments/soundbites coming out of CR have been ill advised and I believe the board have made some mistakes (Hamilton, hanging on to NW for to long) but I do not believe they lack ambition and are willfully trying to destroy the club. I believe the club has never really recovered from the Chase era, we were on the verge of something really good but it was blown away by the thirst for land, I accept we are reaping some of the rewards of these land deals now and that we can only speculate as to what would have happened if we bought Dean Windass and Martin O`Neill had stayed as manager. Saying all that, following the lastest soundbite from Roger Munby the club really have to deliver on their promises now.

Maccy D - I have not been interviewed by Aunty Beeb but I have been interviewed by the North Norfolk Thunderer in connection with an alleged guerilla campaign mounted by the NNP, that targeted second home owners and their homes in and around Chelsea (sorry Wells) -next the Sea.....does that count??